Bring4th

Full Version: Get rid of wheat seriously
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would say get rid of all wheat products immediately and never go back. Especially modern wheat, this stuff just spikes blood sugar and therefore insulin. But it is also an addictive substance due to a certain protein. All proteins regardless of source will also spike insulin, and some spike it more than others. Beef and dairy have special proteins that are also culprits for higher insulin.

For someone with insulin resistance, wheat is like poison, keeping the insulin higher all day, locking up fat burning, especially if that person is eating beyond 2 meals a day. If you ever wanted to be considered healthy, this is the first ingredient to go.

If you have to eat products that are traditionally made with wheat, use another flour. I love sandwiches and hoagies/wraps. And even with pizza, it's the toppings that make me enjoy it, not the crust. So make a wheat free crust. Its easy. If you have to be lazy about it, just buy a gluten free crust from the store or Dominos. Just get rid of the wheat.

From Dr. William Davis:
https://www.wheatbelly.com/articles/WBFAQs
What exactly is in wheat that makes it so bad?

Gluten is only one of the reasons to fear wheat, since it triggers a host of immune diseases like celiac, rheumatoid arthritis, and gluten encephalopathy (dementia from wheat).

The protein unique to wheat, gliadin, a component of gluten proteins, is odd in that it is degraded in the human gastrointestinal tract to peptides (small proteins) that have the ability to cross into the brain and bind to morphine receptors. These polypeptides have been labeled exorphins (exogenous morphine-like compounds) by National Institutes of Health researchers. Wheat exorphins cause a subtle euphoria in some people. This explains why wheat products increase appetite and cause addiction-like behaviors in susceptible people. It also explains why a drug company has made application to the FDA for the drug naltrexone, an oral opiate-blocking drug ordinarily used to keep heroine addicts drug-free, for weight loss. Block the brain morphine receptor and weight loss (about 22 pounds over 6 months) results. But there’s only one food that yields substantial morphine-like compounds: yes, wheat.

The complex carbohydrate unique to wheat, amylopectin A, is another problem source. The branching structure of wheat’s amylopectin A is more digestible than the amylopectins B and C from rice, beans, and other starches (i.e., in their natural states, not the gluten-free dried pulverized starches). This explains why two slices of whole wheat bread increase blood sugar higher than table sugar, higher than a bowl of brown rice, higher than many candy bars. Having high blood sugars repeatedly is not good for health. It leads to accumulated visceral fat–a “wheat belly,” diabetes and pre-diabetes (defined, of course, as having higher blood sugars), not to mention cataracts, arthritis, dementia, and heart disease.

As if that wasn’t enough, there are even other components of wheat that are harmful, such as the lectins in wheat. Lectins are proteins with direct toxic effects in the human gastrointestinal tract. They also impair digestion by blocking the cholecystokinin hormone, an effect that contributes to gallstones and impaired pancreatic enzyme release.

Beyond gluten, there are over 1000 other proteins in wheat that also have potential for odd or unexpected responses.
I've been eating about 45% bread the past week. Delicious, and I feel full of energy. I get this giant Barbari flatbread from a quasi-Armenian grocery. Or I eat super dense sourdough. Wheat Chex is another favorite of mine. Boy, do I enjoy Waffles!

I'm kind of being antagonistic here. But I do think it's unnecessary to ban an entire food group, for ALL people, as you seem to be suggesting. People literally lived on bread, it can't be bad for EVERYONE.
Gotta agree with Sjel.
I over the last few months have gotten into baking bread so we eat a lot(yeast and sourdough).
We have both always loved carbs.
I have no weight issue, neither does my husband and no health issues to speak of.
hmm I am quite like Glow and Sjel. I did take out wheat last year for like 3 months, and didn't really feel any change whatsoever so I guess my body handles happily gluten and lectin.. I think it's nice though if you can get flour or pasta non GMO, at least as long as those grading marks subsist.... Wink
I hate to jump on the pro-wheat bandwagon as well but...

Sourdough is delicious, and doesn't suffer from those problems which are in your post, as the fermentation process takes care of them. Bread today is not the same as bread as it was historically, due to consumer demands and technology. In this mass-produced, hastily leavened, modern variety those potentially problematic compounds are left untouched. In sourdough bread, they are broken down. Even the glycemic index is lower in traditional sourdough. I buy a loaf of dark rye sourdough from the traditional bakery near my uni usually twice a week.

As the saying goes, "Give us this day our daily bread".
(and forgive us our trespasses, of course)
Everybody is different. Every body calibrates to a different diet. Lactose intolerance is a mystery to my body because I have never experienced it, just as an example.
Oh I definitely agree that people differ in their carb sensitivity. Their body still runs on glucose primarily.

But I'd still cut out the wheat though. If you feel good eating wheat, that's fine. It did its job lol. You're most likely not insulin resistant either. But give it another 20 years and you may change your opinion.
I'm 40 so I think I'm fine.

i do excersize daily though.
Work a physical job 5 days a week then am at the gym a minimum an hour 3 times a week.
It likely plays a part.
I used to have problems with heartburn, esophageal reflux, and other digestive ailments.  I stopped eating wheat, and those problems disappeared immediately....it was as if I'd flipped a switch.
(05-31-2017, 09:00 AM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]I used to have problems with heartburn, esophageal reflux, and other digestive ailments.  I stopped eating wheat, and those problems disappeared immediately....it was as if I'd flipped a switch.

What were your digestive ailments like? My body is telling me that I need to change my diet in some way. Stomach or digestion feels uncomfortable in the mornings upon waking.
This is another big stampede created mainly from US to support corporate profits. Every 2-5 years they manufacture something to sell products. Today, its gluten sensitivity.

Reality is that mankind has been eating wheat since its inception, and gluten is just another natural substance found in natural foods.

The percentage of people who would be affected by one of the gluten related disorders are in low single digit percentages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-related_disorders

https://www.prevention.com/health/are-yo...intolerant

Quote:"CDC data shows that only 1% of the population has gluten sensitivity," Green says. "So if you think you have it, it's likely to be something else." In fact, 2014 findings show that if you don't have Celiac, gluten probably isn't the source of your bellyaches.

Wait 2-3 years. They will come up with another 'dangerous food'. And by that time, scores of 'X-free' foods will already be present in the shelves...