Bring4th

Full Version: First mental discipline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In session no. 5 Ra prescribes some disciplines for mind, body and spirit ...

How do you understand the first mental discipline? "The polarity of your dimension must be internalized ..."
Balancing your emotions I believe.
(06-04-2017, 11:56 AM)loostudent Wrote: [ -> ]In session no. 5 Ra prescribes some disciplines for mind, body and spirit ...

How do you understand the first mental discipline? "The polarity of your dimension must be internalized ..."

To understand that all external forces only have the definition given to them. To see evil is to contain/be the evil. One of the first steps to adapt hood is to start examining the contents of self, and one by one see where all the strings lead. And to eventually see that we weave are own tapestries of life.
"The prerequisite of mental work is the ability to retain silence of self at a steady state when required by the self. The mind must be opened like a door. The key is silence."

OK. That's totally clear to me.

Now the first mental discipline:
Quote:To begin to master the concept of mental discipline it is necessary to examine the self. The polarity of your dimension must be internalized. Where you find patience within your mind you must consciously find the corresponding impatience and vice versa. Each thought that a being has, has in its turn an antithesis. The disciplines of the mind involve, first of all, identifying both those things of which you approve and those things of which you disapprove within yourself, and then balancing each and every positive and negative charge with its equal. The mind contains all things. Therefore, you must discover this completeness within yourself.

"Where you find patience within your mind ..."
What does it mean to find patience/impatience within your mind? This attitude manifests in difficult circumstances. Does this mean to recognize my response in this situations?

"... you must consciously find the corresponding impatience and vice versa."
Should I start to respond with impatience in situations where I respond with patience? This doesn't make sense.
To me, what the quote means is that you must accept and recognize polarity as a part of this existence. I believe the mantra/idea of "There is no polarity" applied to third density is actually a hindrance to the evolution of consciousness, as per this step.

The rest of the quote is as follows:

Quote:Where you find patience within your mind you must consciously find the corresponding impatience and vice versa. Each thought that a being has, has in its turn an antithesis. The disciplines of the mind involve, first of all, identifying both those things of which you approve and those things of which you disapprove within yourself, and then balancing each and every positive and negative charge with its equal. The mind contains all things. Therefore, you must discover this completeness within yourself.

So what Ra says is that even if you only see/recognize patience, you must learn to understand/recognize that impatience exists, and internalize that, to balance the experience of third density in your being totality.

It's not that you should be able to feel impatient when you feel patient, but that you should learn there is no judgement to feel either, and that both have their place. Sometimes, impatience can be "righteous" and patience can be negligent. It's being able to view all experiences of this reality in the full spectrum.

I think of it like learning to play infinite notes (emotions) on an instrument (body complex). The more comfortable we are with each emotion, the more we are able to play each one at the behest of the Creator at the proper moment in space/time.
(06-08-2017, 01:38 PM)loostudent Wrote: [ -> ]"The prerequisite of mental work is the ability to retain silence of self at a steady state when required by the self. The mind must be opened like a door. The key is silence."

OK. That's totally clear to me.

Now the first mental discipline:

Quote:To begin to master the concept of mental discipline it is necessary to examine the self. The polarity of your dimension must be internalized. Where you find patience within your mind you must consciously find the corresponding impatience and vice versa. Each thought that a being has, has in its turn an antithesis. The disciplines of the mind involve, first of all, identifying both those things of which you approve and those things of which you disapprove within yourself, and then balancing each and every positive and negative charge with its equal. The mind contains all things. Therefore, you must discover this completeness within yourself.

"Where you find patience within your mind ..."
What does it mean to find patience/impatience within your mind? This attitude manifests in difficult circumstances. Does this mean to recognize my response in this situations?

"... you must consciously find the corresponding impatience and vice versa."
Should I start to respond with impatience in situations where I respond with patience? This doesn't make sense.

Quote:Ra: I am Ra. This is an incorrect application of the balancing which we have discussed. The exercise of first experiencing feelings and then consciously discovering their antitheses within the being has as its objective not the smooth flow of feelings both positive and negative while remaining unswayed but rather the objective of becoming unswayed. This is a simpler result and takes much practice, shall we say.

The catalyst of experience works in order for the learn/teachings of this density to occur. However, if there is seen in the being a response, even if it is simply observed, the entity is still using the catalyst for learn/teaching. The end result is that the catalyst is no longer needed. Thus this density is no longer needed. This is not indifference or objectivity but a finely tuned compassion and love which sees all things as love. This seeing elicits no response due to catalytic reactions. Thus the entity is now able to become co-Creator of experiential occurrences. This is the truer balance.

The steps know the self, accept the self, become the creator.

From the material I gathered to know the self you simply go through life, a situation makes you angry, right in that moment you don't start psychoanalyzing the situation you just remain in the moment, own the anger, continue feeling it do not repress it. Then some time later when you decide to sit in meditation you bring up that exact same situation, feel that anger completely, reason out why it makes a person(you) so angry, examine all of the 100% valid rage inducing reasons for the original reaction and fuel the anger even more.

Then suddenly while still in the meditation go through the same situation but use your imagination to will an opposite reaction within the mind, suddenly you see that situation and find the reasons to feel love, acceptance for w/e is happening, suddenly you feel like you care, that it wasn't so bad, maybe you'll imagine a reason that it actually was for your benefit in some way, to teach you somehow something and you feel thankful, and that opposite feeling is held within your mind just like the original feeling.

So what you did there was basically examine (know the self), you examine the original situation, felt the original feeling, examine the original situation again and reasoned out/willed an opposite feeling all in the same meditation, You literally are seeing 2 possibilities that are equally valid/possible, except that 1 happened, and 1 did not.

since the creator is complete you know the creator's potential has both the 1 that happened and the opposite 1 you imagined in meditation that did not happen.

Ra goes on to describe that it's not up to us to pick and choose our qualities/reactions, simply examine them fully. And in order to examine something fully you need to examine it's opposite too, that contrast between the 2 becomes the most important teaching tool for self knowledge then.

Imagine a situation where a very similar scenario happened 20 times, and the first 10 times you felt anger, you meditated, did the work, examined the opposite that could of been, accepted it all as valid self knowledge. by maybe the 15th time you face the same style of scenario your body/mind might simply not react at all.

And another thing, had a situation where you felt really happy/pleased? don't ignore those either, go into the meditation later and will a reasoning and feel for this same situation and feel sadness/anger/hate. This isn't being negative or w/e this is examining the completeness of your own self, these reactions exist 100% as possibilities within you, this is self knowledge and you must accept this too.
Has anyone actually tried practicing this - imagining/creating the opposite emotion?

What has been your experience with the practice?
(06-08-2017, 09:19 PM)Stranger Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone actually tried practicing this - imagining/creating the opposite emotion?

What has been your experience with the practice?

I have in meditations, if you experience a situation that comes in cycles over and over again and your emotions are similar more or less each time and you do the exercise Ra described, you honestly examine all its facets, feel it and re-feel it and its opposite emotion you kind of become numb to it. But not really "numb", it has been experienced so completely that its not really possible to have any sort of intense emotional reaction anymore, you're simply beyond it. In my experience though it'll take many loops like this to reach this point, you may feel the same emotion 100 times, in 100 slightly different yet similar variations of the same fundamental scenario. Examining and feeling the same thing again and again told me I still had not fully accepted it, yet every time I worked with it, it was accepted more and more by default till I reach the point of being beyond it.

I've done it for a few situations/reactions that kept repeating themselves throughout my life and had went beyond them and I can say from my experience it works, a blockage/distortion that caused them seems to be clear in me.

But I haven't used it religiously, I haven't done it in a very dedicated fashion for all catalyst in my life, just for a small fraction of it.

All in all this doesn't end those scenarios/situations that I have surpassed they will keep coming forever, but it now frees me up and gives me more options to consider/choose actions I would of never done had I had the emotional reactions at that point.

1 last mention: when I would do it I would feel like it sticks way more, sitting there in meditation and experiencing the feelings very intensely you cant really lie to yourself then, when I would use contemplation instead of this exercise I found you don't really get anywhere, because you can easily be dishonest with yourself.
_______
Here's a contrasting distortion in the same vein.  The concept of disciplining the mind has to do with not being at the mercy of the darned thing, same as you would discipline a dog.  That is, you want it to support you in your explorations and not pull you willy-nilly all over the neighborhood.

Okay, so what does that mean?

The mind (intellect and emotions) actually constructs your reality for you, and you then live in it and respond to it.  What is taken in by the body are very simple patterns of light, sound, feeling, taste and smell, then the mind interprets these into a rendering of your environment, it defines structure and meaning.  If the mind has serious biases (neuroses, for example), then the world which your consciousness constructs for you will reflect these.

The goal is to balance your relationship with your world-creating/interpreting apparatus so that you may work independently of it when necessary and not merely be defined by it.  Another way to say it is that Maya is as real as your belief in your own constructs.  For the wanderer, it might be useful to balance that relationship so that the independent view is also clear.

But what is there beyond your own perceptual constructs?  Isn't that a paradox whereby you cannot perceive that which you cannot internally construct?

Perhaps this is where faith comes into view: traveling blindly through the Mystery, not guided by mind, but by.....a different faculty of knowing?
Thanks for reply. I know an Ignatian spiritual practice called examen but I haven't practised it to full extent. Sometimes I do a very short examen.