Bring4th

Full Version: What is something you know, you know for absolutely certain?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the one thing you have no doubts about?
I think therefore I am.
(08-26-2017, 05:15 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]I think therefore I am.

Eckhart Tolle has this to say about that quote:

Quote:“The philosopher Descartes believed he had found the most fundamental truth when he made his famous statement: "I think, therefore I am." He had, in fact, given expression to the most basic error: to equate thinking with Being and identity with thinking. The compulsive thinker, which means almost everyone, lives in a state of apparent separateness, in an insanely complex world of continuous problems and conflict, a world that reflects the ever-increasing fragmentation of the mind.”

However I cannot say I have separated my thoughts from my sense of self. So I don't know what to believe.
I'll put it this way:
I have no doubts about whether or not I exist.
Free Will is the greatest illusion.
The One Infinite Creator.
The Love is the best way.
(08-26-2017, 05:24 PM)sjel Wrote: [ -> ]

Eckhart Tolle has this to say about that quote:

Quote:“The philosopher Descartes believed he had found the most fundamental truth when he made his famous statement: "I think, therefore I am." He had, in fact, given expression to the most basic error: to equate thinking with Being and identity with thinking. The compulsive thinker, which means almost everyone, lives in a state of apparent separateness, in an insanely complex world of continuous problems and conflict, a world that reflects the ever-increasing fragmentation of the mind.”

However I cannot say I have separated my thoughts from my sense of self. So I don't know what to believe.

"I am therefore I am"

Remember what the burning bush told to Moses: I Am That I Am.
There is only one thing I can say that I for sure know and that is: Love / STO is my way. I know who I am and where I wish to go.

(08-26-2017, 05:24 PM)sjel Wrote: [ -> ]Eckhart Tolle has this to say about that quote:

“The philosopher Descartes believed he had found the most fundamental truth when he made his famous statement: "I think, therefore I am." He had, in fact, given expression to the most basic error: to equate thinking with Being and identity with thinking. The compulsive thinker, which means almost everyone, lives in a state of apparent separateness, in an insanely complex world of continuous problems and conflict, a world that reflects the ever-increasing fragmentation of the mind.”

(08-26-2017, 06:17 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]I'll put it this way:
I have no doubts about whether or not I exist.

This is an oft cited criticism by spiritual teachers of what Descartes wrote. And it is an entirely valid criticism on the literal level, however, in my heart, I believe what he was *intending* to express was the idea that: your awareness validates the fact that YOU ARE. After-all, what are thoughts but a modulation of awareness?

We don't always find the perfect words to express the truth we feel inside and Descartes was no exception to the rule, and it is of course a translation of his native tongue and there is always something lost in the nuances between one cultures' syntax and an others'.

Don't interpret this as a criticism of Tolle, necessarily, either. He was just using it as a segue into his spiritual discourse, which is valid as well.
_________
That there is no such thing as death.
Sorry if you believed in it.
(08-26-2017, 05:04 PM)sjel Wrote: [ -> ]What is the one thing you have no doubts about?
Infinity.
Sometimes when I meditate I can't tell if I'm awake or asleep. I can't tell where I am. Though I assume I'm awake.
(09-03-2017, 06:31 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes when I meditate I can't tell if I'm awake or asleep. I can't tell where I am. Though I assume I'm awake.

Happens to me too. I quite like that state - back straight, silent awareness, in the peaceful crevice between asleep and awake.
(08-26-2017, 05:04 PM)sjel Wrote: [ -> ]What is the one thing you have no doubts about?

The phrasing of this question I don't like. Experience is refined from catalyst forged in fire. Becoming adept is being more and more able to welcome or withstand creative forces. This does no mean you without 'doubt'. The faculty of discernment is developed with experience as a reference. A state of discerning, which may be doubt, signifies the loci of probabilities.

'What is known for sure?' Is the self. The alignment to transcendent logos indicates the locus of activity.

What may be 'doubted' is the act of the conscious mind sowing a seed grown in the dialectic of the conscious and unconscious.
Free will and love and not much else.
All is one

Well, that's quite a question. I suppose the one thing I have no doubts about is that I don't know everything about anything.