Bring4th

Full Version: ______
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
_____
I have been exploring it, but I'm very new. The book I'm really benefiting from is "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chödrön. I don't consider a primer to buddhism, but it is a nice introduction to the kinds of approaches that buddhism deals with.
The only tradition that I think is worthy of following is the Theravadan. It's closest to the original teachings given by the Buddha, called the Pali cannon. Much was added on in the years since his passing, like with any religion or spiritual path.

Accesstoinsight is a website that offers translations of the early Pali cannon texts. I've been reading through some of it and it's amazing stuff.
I came to Buddhism first and then to Christianity. I saw that both emphasized the same message - that the path forward lay through how we treat others, how we carry ourselves in this world. I wish there was more in both traditions about how to treat self.
______
Yeah, I read the Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ and they definitely talk about a Tibet visit. However, I'm not sure if that Tibetan initiation would be Buddhist since it was not really brought there until the 7th century. But he certainly passed through India and was almost certainly exposed to it there.
(09-28-2017, 02:36 PM)rva_jeremy Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I read the Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ and they definitely talk about a Tibet visit. However, I'm not sure if that Tibetan initiation would be Buddhist since it was not really brought there until the 7th century. But he certainly passed through India and was almost certainly exposed to it there.

Christ did seek far and wide during his "missing years". It's even said that he visited the ancient Druids / Celts in the British Isles. (And actually this is referenced to in the myths of King Arthur and the Holy Grail. One of Christ's followers was rich and he came back and built churches. My mind is fuzzy on this but it's all in "Bulfinch's Mythology".)
I was initially very drawn to Tibetan Buddhist teachings and in particular the concept and teaching of Dzogchen. This means "The Great Perfection" and refers to the 'perfect underlying state of natural reality' and which to me was the first good description I found for the unity which underlies all things, before I ever read the Ra Material. I have found it to be very approachable but it is also considered the 'highest' teaching in Tibetan Buddhism so typically it is a long process before you really work with it. I didn't end up pursuing that path but it's something I'd still be interested in exploring in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzogchen