Bring4th

Full Version: The Obligatory RECIPE Thread!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

fairyfarmgirl

Moderator note: These first 2 posts were split from this thread:

Olio > What we are really eating... at least in the U.S.

Monica and All:
use the Bouchard Family Farm Buckwheat Flour.

Ingredients
3 Cups of Buckwheat Flour
3tsp of Baking Powder or 3 tsp of Baking Soda
1tsp of sea salt
2cups of Cold water
1cup of boiling water

Method

Mix dry ingredients. Add Cold water and mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the boiling water and stir well. If batter is too thick, add more water a little at a time mixing it in. The consistency should be slightly thicker than a crepe batter.

Heat a cast iron skillet hot enough to boil away a couple of drops of water. Then, pour in a ladle full (or 1/2 cup) of batter into the iron skillet. Allow to cook until browned on one side then flip over. Brown the other side slightly. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate. Mix batter before making each batch.

Depending on the size of your skillet--- you can cook more with a bigger skillet (I have a small skillet so I make one at a time)

When you have enough ployes made... then begin filling them with your favorite fillings and use this flat pancake bread as a tortilla. It is not a tortilla in the sense that tortillas are made... but it sure is a great substitute!

Also, for those who are not gluten sensitive some Arcadian cooks use 1 cup of wheat flour or rye flour or rice flour --- so the ratio would be 1 cup of wheat (or rye or rice flour) and 2 cups of Buckwheat flour.

(the Arcadians do not flip thiers but I do)

As you fill your ployes with your taco fillings or whatever, place in a baking pan. When it is full place in an oven at 350F to warm up and melt cheese etc that you have filled the ployes with.

Next I am going to experiment with making hard Ployes shells... I will let you know how it turns out.

--fairyfarmgirl

fairyfarmgirl

Spelt can be used as you use wheat flour. Only due to its lower gluten level double the baking powder

Texas Flour Tortillas (adapted from The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison)
Ingredients:
Two cups of all-purpose flour or spelt (any multigrain flour would do)

1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder (if using spelt double the baking powder)
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil (or olive oil)
3/4 cups of warm milk

Method:
Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil.
Slowly add the warm milk.
Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts you’ll have no problem with this.) Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done.
Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.
Can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil.
While you probably won’t have any leftovers, you can store in the fridge tightly wrapped in foil or plastic for a day or so.
Makes eight tortillas.

A tip that I have concerning reverse engineering recipes is study the ingredients of the tortillas that your Husband likes, Monica. It is always the fat and salt/sugar content that make the taste of a dish. Next comes texture. Since finely ground spelt is nearly the same in texture to wheat flour this is a good match. Then see if there is a "secret" ingredient in the tortillas that he likes--- such as a wood fired hearth or grill. This adds that special flavor that he may or may not have a memory of.

Also, on the market are sprouted grain tortillas. Super Yum! Also a possible quick food substitution could be lavash bread (a flat bread as well) or Nan (an indian flat bread--- very fun to make on a gas stove with tongs).

This recipe I found on a food blog http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/0...illas.html

I am now all inspired to look through my cookbooks for recipes as well. I have a large collection of cookbooks... so this should be fun!

--fairyfarmgirl
(09-01-2010, 01:25 PM)transiten Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2010, 12:44 PM)fairyfarmgirl Wrote: [ -> ]Non-GMO corn tortillas are really tasty too! Although corn is something I am allergic too as well. Corn is supposed to be better for you than wheat.

I have thought about mixing Quinoa flour with masa corn flour and buckwheat and rye to create a tortilla recipe. Maybe someone has already thought of this--- and it is out there in the Natural foods markets.

fairyfarmgirl

Hmmmm, I've heard that corn is not good at all to eat?!?! - don't remeber where, and i was intrigued since the native pple of America have had corn as on e of their main source of food....

transiten

Corn has become a gentically engineered food. That is why it is important to choose NON -GMO corn.
Well every community, whether online or live, has a recipe exchange! Churches have them...parenting and homeschool groups have them...I even saw a recipe exchange organized by a children's book catalog! And of course online forums have them!

So here it is: The Bring4th Community RECIPE EXCHANGE!

Rules for this thread:

Please offer recipes and discussion about recipes ONLY. If you wish to discuss the merits or drawbacks of this or that diet, or social/ethical/spiritual implications of certain foods, please do that in one of our other 'diet/liveit' threads:

Olio > What we are really eating... at least in the U.S. (This thread is about the contaminants in foods and how to avoid them/compensate for them. This is also the thread in which suggestions were made for a recipe thread.)

Life on Planet Earth > leaning towards elimination of meat

Life on Planet Earth > In regards to eating meat

(If I've missed any, please add let me know.)

Again, let's keep this thread light and fluffy, ok? RECIPES and discussion of recipes ONLY.

OK, now that we got the housekeeping out of the way, I'll start:

I recently got a dehydrator so I'm learning how to make raw breads and cookies.

RAW Cinnamon-Apple Cookies

Equipment needed: blender, food processor, dehydrator

2 cups soaked pecans
2 Gala apples (or any apples)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 tsp honey

Soak pecans overnight in water
Drain pecans
Put pecans into food processor and process into a meal, until it sticks together. (You may have to scrape the sides with a spatula every so often.)
Core and de-seed apples but don't peel them.
Blend apples into applesauce
Add honey to applesauce and blend for just a couple more seconds
Pour applesauce into food processor on top of the pecan meal
Add salt and cinnamon
Process again just enough to mix

Spread onto screens of dehydrator 1/2 inch thick

Dehydrate approximately 12 hours at 125 degrees, or longer if you prefer a lower temperature.

(There are varying opinions about which temp enzymes are destroyed, but the latest I've seen from a technical 'expert' says around 140, although many raw foods teachers say to not go over 110. I've been going with the more technical opinion so have chosen to use 125 for most stuff, which seems to work well.)

Optional: Make into 'jewels' by smooshing raspberries or blackberries on top.

You can also add a bit more honey if you like them sweeter, but the applesauce already imparts a delicate sweetness. More honey might require longer dehydration.

Yum! Sounds like a dessert, but it's actually a full meal...protein, the healthy fats, and fruit.

This is a variation of what I learned from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f4GGlcTwG4
Where is everyone? I thought you wanted a recipe thread! Huh

Monica's Galaxy-Famous Enchiladas Verde

Drain 1 lb. firm tofu
(squeeze out excess water by compressing between paper towels)
Cut into cubes

In a Tupperware-type container with a lid, combine:

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup spelt or whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp Celtic or Himalayan seasalt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper

Put the lid on and shake to mix

Toss in cubed tofu

Shake to coat the tofu

Lightly pan-fry the breaded tofu in vegetable oil until golden, set aside

Meanwhile, saute:

1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 jalepeno or serrano pepper, chopped*

in olive oil

Lightly toss the tofu and onion/garlic/pepper mixture
Set aside

Meanwhile, steam corn tortillas OR ligthly fry in vegetable oil (dip tortilla in hot oil just until it begins to bubble, flip over, then do the same on the other side...when just starting to bubble, remove from oil)

Fill steamed (or lightly fried) tortilla with tofu mixture

Roll up tortilla like an enchilada

Smother in verde sause (I use Arribas' brand...Herdez works well too...or you can make your own tomatillo sauce)

Put into a large baking dish, and bake at 375 for 10 minutes

Top with dollup of organic (hormone-free) sour cream or vegan sour cream alternative

Serve with Spanish rice, vegetarian refried beans, flour tortillas, and guacamole salad

Enjoy!

*Note: You can leave out the green pepper if you don't like it too hot
Ben's Sweet Chili - A mild chunky chili with an overall slight sweetness

1-2 lbs ground beef (add a whole cow of beef, just suit to your preference)
2 sweet onions chopped or diced
4-6 medium tomatoes of any kind, chopped or diced
1 medium squash chopped
1 can sweet whole kernel corn
1 can red kidney beans
1 can tomato soup (not condensed)
1 tblspn minced garlic (can sub a few shakes of garlic powder)
1-2 tblspn worcestershire sauce
2 tblspn dark brown sugar
1/2 tblspn chili powder
1/2 tspn Salt
1/2 tspn Pepper

Brown and drain the ground beef in a large pot. Return beef to pot, and add onions, garlic, and worcestershire sauce. The beef can be seasoned here with any additional spices you prefer, be creative! Drain additionally if needed.

Add tomatoes, squash, corn, kidney beans, and soup. Mix together. Bring the heat down to low and place a lid on the pot.

In a small mixing bowl, add brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix.

Once the chili is starting to warm up overall (c. 8 min), add the spices. Let this continue to simmer with the lid on for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve in a bowl over corn chips. Top with shredded cheese and sour cream. Makes about 6-8 bowls.

Wear sweat pants, because you will be back for seconds! (maybe thirds?)
Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

This is modified from one I found online, but its so good I had to share it.

1 1/2 pounds tan-skinned sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
1 medium russet potato, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

1 1/2 pounds beef sausage
2 cups chopped onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 can sweet peas
1 can sweet whole kernel corn
1/3 cup shredded colby jack cheese
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Boil sweet potatoes, squash and russet potato in large pot until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain. Return all potatoes and squash to pot and mash. Stir over low heat until excess moisture evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add butter and syrup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mash mixture until smooth.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8 x 8 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Cook sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is brown and cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl; reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet. Add onions and garlic to skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until onions are tender and golden, about 7 minutes. Add onion mixture to sausage. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool. Mix in peas, corn, cheese, cream, and egg.
Transfer sausage mixture to prepared baking dish. Spoon mashed potato mixture over; smooth top. Bake until heated through and potatoes begin to brown around edges, about 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Hi, Monica!

(10-12-2010, 02:58 AM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]Where is everyone? I thought you wanted a recipe thread!

I'm coming I'm coming B-)

I'll have to translate mine first,
provenant du francais vers l'english. . . B-)

"Corn sirop pie", and "mozaique cake" on their way !

Blue skies.
My wife is not good at remembering things she threw together. So this is what she came up with a week after she had already made them. If this is accurate, they reminded me of beef burgers.

Mushroom Burgers

8 oz pkg mushrooms--diced small
1 c. raw sunflower seeds--ground
1 c. red rice--steamed
3/4 c. cherry tomatoes--diced small
1/2 large onion--diced small
1 or 2 stalks celery--diced small
1/2 c. sprouted lentils--steamed
1 c. spinach or kale--finally chopped (optional)
sea salt or seasoning of choice to taste

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Mash together with hands until well combined. Form into balls.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place balls on parchment paper and flatten out into nice round discs.
Bake at 325 for 30-40 minutes.
Ressurected from the past...The Obligatory Recipe Thread

Richard

My family has always called this “Fideo” (there versions of this all over the southwest though)…my Mom has made one version or another of this my entire life. This is the current and by far the best version so far. Most of these ingredients are readily available in the southwestern US. But any could be replaced by local ingredients too. Its quick, spicy, tasty..totally vegetarian…we use this as meal once a week..at least.

~ 2 pkg ‘Fideo” …..this comes in small yellow cardboard boxes…its an enriched macaroni product in the pasta section of the grocery (you could sub any vermicelli though)

~1 can chopped tomatoes

~ 2 small cans “Herdez Salsa Casera”….this is a serrano chile based salsa…not as sweet as other salsas

~ 2 small cans “Hatch Green Chiles”….whole, roasted….don’t get the pre-chopped stuff, its mushy…just slice the whole chiles to a ½ “ dice & save…Save the juice in both cans! (Its chile season right now and Hatch Chiles are showing up in the stores…being roasted on site in many of them. If you have access to those…grab them instead!)

~16 oz water

~Extra Virgin Olive Oil

---------------------------------

In a large saucepan or deep skillet…add enough oil to cover the bottom, heat on med high temp..then add the pasta and brown it..stirring gently to brown on all sides and to minimize breakeage. (I like my pasta pretty heavily browned, it gives the dish a nutty taste…but brown, that’s just me) Season this to taste while browning. I use powdered garlic, red chile flakes and
black pepper.

Once the pasta is browned….add in the tomatoes, slices chiles & saved juice. Then add both cans of the salsa and 16 oz of water (or one bottle)….stir well…

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 min or so. Turn heat off, cover with a lid and let stand for 10-15 min.

Your ready….this is a great left over also. In fact, its even better the next day in my opinion. When we were kids, my brother and I would wrap a flour tortilla around some warmed fideo…voila..lunch…beats a sandwich any day.

Richard

VEGETARIAN

Lemon Feta and Rocket Pasta (serving size: 2)

Please Note: Quantities given are estimate only - you can use as much or as little as you like of anything

Half a packet of pasta (I would use something like linguine or I also like gluten-free spaghetti)
1/4 spanish onion finely sliced
1/2 cup semi-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives
1/2 cup feta cheese (I prefer the Greek Dodoni feta personally)
1 handful of fresh rocket leaves
1 lemon

Cook the pasta, drain and rinse. Squeeze a lemon onto the pasta. Toss through the onion, semi-dried tomatoes, olives and rocket. Serve.

It is really that easy and my god the flavour is just insane!! My favourite pasta ever!

VEGETARIAN

Whole Wheat Moroccan Risotto (serving size: 2)

Please note: quantities are estimate only, feel free to add as much or as little of anything as you prefer

2 cups whole wheat grain (unprocessed wheat, looks like rice)
1/2 diced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 red capsicum diced (red pepper in the u.s.)
1 zucchini diced
1 cup mushrooms diced
1L vegetable stock
1 tsp tagine spice mix (paprika, coriander seed, cassia, allspice, chilli, cloves, cardamom)
olive oil
salt to taste

Add all of the ingredients, except for the stock, into a pan and fry lightly with some olive oil to warm the spices and the garlic and to cook through the onion and vegetables a little. Add the stock and simmer until the wheat is cooked through and the liquid is reduced (seriously only takes about 10 minutes of cooking time). Serve.

It's kind of like a risotto but without the glugginess that rice has. You could also make ANY vegetable combination or go any cultural style with this, it is amazingly versatile. I could live on this stuff every single day!

here's one for pasta.

two small onions or one big one (or you can use less if you don't like onions)
2 cloves of garlic
two cans of crushed tomatos
one can of tuna (pref dark but can be light, can be in water or oil your choice, if there's excess water or oil drain can before adding tuna)
kalamata olives
black pepper
optional chilipepper
salt
thyme
spaghetti

chop the onions and garlic, toss them on a frying pan with some olive oil and fry them as long as you like, i prefer them to be really dead cuz i can't handle onions but it's your call. and then you just add crushed tomatos, the tuna and the olives. i throw in some of the juice the olives came in to add flavor. maybe a table spoonful or three, use your judgement. Tongue then add some black pepper and thyme, i add generously but again judgement. i'm not good with math i use intuition. you can add a tiny amount of chopped chilipepper too if you like spicy better. then add salt. you can add more salt on it at the table so it doesn't matter really while cooking imo, also the olives are salty. it goes to personal taste. then just let it simmer in the pan on a low heat while you make the spaghetti. when the spaghetti is done so should the sauce be.
this recipe is kinda free and intuitive cuz i just do it based on how i like it but that's the gist of it Tongue was i too vague?

also this feeds about 3 people at least. Tongue make sure the amount of pasta is enough for the sauce. but the sauce is still yummy the next day so it can always be stored in the fridge if there's too much.
oh and it's good to use plenty of olives too cuz they really add flavor to it. and beware of the pits.

Meerie

Spaghetti with tomato sauce, onions and the vegetables that are available... an all-time favorite !
oh and make sure to add a lot of origan to the sauce also... my herbal teacher said it wards off negative entities.
( I never measure when I cook. Intuition rules in my kitchen! )
Edit: and don't forget, adding a bit of sugar will make the tomatoes taste more tomato-ish! also a bit of red wine in the sauce doesn't hurt. Or balsamico vinegar. Yum!

i've always been oregano obsessive.
(09-14-2011, 08:54 AM)Meerie Wrote: [ -> ]( I never measure when I cook. Intuition rules in my kitchen! )

Same!! Tongue
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Feast!

My son's girlfriend made most of it. And we cheated on the Tofurkey.

In addition to the spread here, there was salad, veggie juice, mushroom stuffing, bean tamales, and whole wheat rolls. Oh and homemade banana bread and of course the obligatory pies.
I will have my wife write down her raw banana bread recipe next time she makes it. I asked her before and she had no idea on amounts since she wings it normally.
(11-25-2011, 08:17 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]I will have my wife write down her raw banana bread recipe next time she makes it. I asked her before and she had no idea on amounts since she wings it normally.

Great! I'm looking for good raw recipes. The breads I've made haven't turned out very well.

This meal was way more 'cooked' than I'm currently eating.

(11-25-2011, 07:44 PM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]Vegetarian Thanksgiving Feast!

My son's girlfriend made most of it. And we cheated on the Tofurkey.

In addition to the spread here, there was salad, veggie juice, mushroom stuffing, bean tamales, and whole wheat rolls. Oh and homemade banana bread and of course the obligatory pies.

Hummm! It looks delicious. Gives me an appetite. Some dishes even look gluten free. SmileSmileSmile

Heart
(11-25-2011, 08:45 PM)Whitefeather Wrote: [ -> ]Hummm! It looks delicious. Gives me an appetite. Some dishes even look gluten free. SmileSmileSmile

Heart

Yes it was all yummy! She did a great job. Oh and those purple things in the roast pot are purple potatoes!

bring4th is a constant delight! we have a RECIPE THREAD lol.

my contribution:

- -

1 crock pot
2 cups of pearl barley
1/2 cup of green lentils
1 chunk of pork shoulder (around 1kg is good here, or 2 pnds)
a generous splash of olive oil
1/2 cup of diced pumpkin
1/2 cup of sliced cabbage
3 cups of water

cook for 4-6 hours

- -

I can make this in the morning (put all the ingredients in, turn on the crock pot) and when I came back after work, there is a fragrant, well cooked meal awaiting me. It can serve maybe 5 people, or you split it up into lunch boxes and store it in your fridge for lazy meals later.

apologies to all the vegetarians out there Smile

- -
Plenum - do you use fresh pumpkin? Where do you find/buy that? And do you turn the crock pot on high or low or what? I've had a problem with legumes not cooking thoroughly when using them in the crock pot - although I haven't actually tried using lentils.

Thanks!
(02-02-2012, 02:02 PM)Ruth Wrote: [ -> ]Plenum - do you use fresh pumpkin?

yes, I do! I didn't know there was any other kind lol Smile

Quote:Where do you find/buy that?

most supermarkets (I'm in Australia). I take it you are living in a part of the world where pumpkin is hard to grow/not a popular food item.

I visit a local growers market/barn and they offer pumpkin in halves and quarters. The butternut pumpkin is my favourite. A perfect size, and a great texture.

[Image: SnRZB.jpg]

Quote:And do you turn the crock pot on high or low or what?

low is usually the best setting. High is only useful if you want to cook it more 'traditionally' (around 2 hours cooking time), whereas the whole principle of 'slow cooking' is to allow the heat to infuse and spread, and make things ultra juicy and tender. I'm getting hungry just talking about it lol.

Quote: I've had a problem with legumes not cooking thoroughly when using them in the crock pot - although I haven't actually tried using lentils.

if by legumes you mean peas and beans, yeah, I've had problems with those too. I think they need to be soaked and boiled, and then perhaps added to the crock pot mix. Those things are darned hard to cook! Lentils are fine, just need enough water and cooking time. (and a bit of oil)

Quote:Thanks!

no, thank YOU!

BigSmile BigSmile

Ahhhhhh, subtle differences in terminology. What you are calling pumpkin, we call squash. And it is usually not a problem to find a butternut squash at the grocery store. Amazingly, although I live in "farm country" in the North Central US (NW Indiana to be precise) I have not found any farmer's markets during the winter months, and if I want to purchase organic food, I must drive quite a good distance. And yes, by legumes I meant any sort of beans.

I cook crock pot meals fairly often - and occasionally find that the high setting works well if it's going to be a short day, or if I don't get the food put in early enough.

Thanks again for sharing!