Bring4th

Full Version: Developing biases - building character
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WHAT DO WE TAKE WITH US WHEN WE DIE?

Quote:"You are not taking your job to heaven. You are not taking some gold watch or achievement award to heaven. You are taking you, so you want to build character because God is more interested in what you become rather than what you do." (R. Warren)

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Jesus)

I think this is of great importance for spiritual development. Life (incarnation) is a study process. The sum of this study is "an attitude or complex of attitudes which bias the consciousness". There are different biases being developed in incarnational experience. Some are helpful and some are unwanted for chosen polarity.

HOW CAN WE BUILD OUR CHARACTER?

What do you think? Some things I think may be of help:

Taking responsibility for each moment and putting more in practice (we already know much more than we apply in our life). The moment is now.

Quote:"Carpe diem." (Seize the day)

We think that just gaining knowledge makes us spiritually mature. The test of maturity is not knowledge. The test of maturity is character /.../ I think the simplest definition of maturity is to be a doer of the word /.../ Every single one of us knows more spiritual truth than we're putting into practice right now.  We don't need to know more, we already know enough. We just need to put into practice what we already know. Be a doer of the Word. (R. Warren)

"To whom much is given, much is required." (Luke 12:48)

Don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the other. With these qualities active and growing in your lives … no day will pass without its reward as you mature in your experience of our Master Jesus.” (2 Peter 1:5-6 MSG)

Positive interpretation of catalyst

Quote:“We can rejoice when we run into problems and trials, because we know that they are good for us — they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation.” (Romans 5:3-4 NLT)

And last but not least: constantly build relationship/dialogue with the Creator and appeal for spiritual help - guidance, protection, healing, illumination ...

Quote:"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:13)

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (Ps 51:10)
LISTS OF VIRTUES AND VICES

I've noticed that every major schools of philosophy or religion compiled a list of "vices and virtues". Unwanted/inappropriate biases are usually called vices, thieves, passions, deadly sins, bonds, binds ... Virtues are also called treasures, beatitudes, (ways of love ?) etc.

4 classic virtues (Plato, Greeks):
temperance
prudence (wisdom)
justice
courage

Christian theology teaches some virtues are acquired by regular exercise while other virtues order us directly to God and are infused in our souls by God. When these two come together holiness is born.

7 christian virtues ("church fathers"):
4 cardinal virtues (the "acquired virtues", adapted from Greeks)
+ 3 theological virtues: love (charity), faith, hope (these are the "infused virtues")

7 deadly sins and 7 heavenly virtues (Prudentius):
pride / humility
envy / kindness (benevolence)
gluttony / temperance
lust / chastity
wrath / patience
greed / charity
sloth / diligence

9 vices and virtues (enneagram)
anger / serenity
pride / humility
deceit / truthfulness, authencity
envy / equanimity (emotional balance)
avarice / non-attachment
fear / courage
gluttony / sobriety
lust / innocence
sloth / action
Buddhism also has the 3 Poisons.
This is what I have found about buddhism:

10 bonds:
Absence of shame
Absence of embarrassment
Jealousy
Parsimony (in the sense of stinginess)
Remorse
Drowsiness
Distraction
Torpor
Anger
Concealment of wrongdoing

4 divine abidings:
good will
compassion
empathetic joy
equanimity
6 vices (hinduism):
lust
anger
greed
attachment
pride
jealousy

5 virtues (Manusamhita):
non-violence
sel frestraint
non-covetousness/non-stealing
inner purity
truthfulness

5 thieves (sikhism):
lust
anger
greed
attachment
pride, ego

5 virtues (sikhism):
truth
contentment
compassion
humility
love
The 5 thieves is a good one  BigSmile
Sufi stations - "maquaam" (there is no clear agreement on the number and order):
Repentance (tawba),
Watchfulness (waraʿ),
renunciation (zuhd),
adopted poverty (faqr),
patience (ṣabr),
trust in God (tawakkul)
spiritual satisfaction (riḍā).
(04-29-2018, 09:53 AM)loostudent Wrote: [ -> ]WHAT DO WE TAKE WITH US WHEN WE DIE?

Spiritual biases.
(05-30-2018, 08:37 PM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2018, 09:53 AM)loostudent Wrote: [ -> ]WHAT DO WE TAKE WITH US WHEN WE DIE?

Spiritual biases.

And these are ... ?
(05-13-2018, 04:00 PM)loostudent Wrote: [ -> ]This is what I have found about buddhism:

10 bonds:
Absence of shame
Absence of embarrassment
Jealousy
Parsimony (in the sense of stinginess)
Remorse
Drowsiness
Distraction
Torpor
Anger
Concealment of wrongdoing

4 divine abidings:
good will
compassion
empathetic joy
equanimity
I don't understand the bonds thing. Why would absence of shame or embarrassment be grouped with jealousy or anger or concealment of wrongdoing? Besides remorse and absence of shame are opposites. Perhaps it's a depth of language thing i am missing.

I always see theses things more as a barometer. Most of these things to be actual characteristics have to come from within. You cannot legislate the heart and have it be more than a superficial The lust/greed/anger/shame will be less practiced but it's source will still be there underneath.

It's why Christianity doesn't create christs. Taking characteristics of a loving person and saying ok we all gotta do this isn't going to change the person inside. At the same time when the person inside becomes loving the need for rules are unnecessary. Good as a barometer.
Generally virtues are between two opposite vices.
(06-01-2018, 04:58 PM)loostudent Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2018, 08:37 PM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Spiritual biases.

And these are ... ?

Spiritual biases are deep rooted preferences in states of being, polarity and preferences pertaining to densities.

For example an entity which developed an aversity to harming other entities to obtain its food will carry that bias into any incarnation it has. Be it this planet, or another planet at another time.

Similarly, an entity which developed a particular preference of energy model (positive polarity, stronger activity in certain chakras, weaker in others etc) will carry that to whichever incarnation it goes to.

Mind can change its working set with every incarnation, it adapts to and uses the archetype of mind ready in the incarnation and planet it is in. Even if its fundamental mechanics stays the same, the way of thinking and the sets of values it has may be very different in between incarnations. Even inside this planet, the mind of a person in medieval times is different from the mind of a person today.

But the spiritual biases that person developed stay. For example St. Francis of Asisi would have the same inclinations it had in regard to people, society, service etc today if he incarnated, even if his perceptions and values would have mentally changed to the set of 21st century.
Interesting video on emotional reactions, habits, subconscious programming, polarization work with visualisation, becoming the creator ...

I watched Dr. Dispenza again. I have some scruples about his teaching. All programs that we gained in past aren't necessarily negative. Maybe someone is feeling happier because of daily shower and a cup of coffee etc. Routines give us stability. We can learn something from past experience otherwise all learning would be in vain. On the other hand it's true that creativness and inovation makes life fresh and learn something new.

Furthermore I'm not sure if the body (the unconscious) really doesn't know the difference between actual event and just a thought. I think it needs real contact and experience more than something virtual or only in thought alone. "Far from eyes far from heart." "Live is life."