Bring4th

Full Version: Service-to-self underlies dark personality traits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Research shows that service-to-self tendencies are at the core of egotism, narcissism, Macchiavellianism and psychopathy:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/...092618.php

Kinda obvious, perhaps, but now it's science.
As a person who identifies purely of service to the one true love, I do not know what a service to self tendency is.

Because truly I have never met a service to self oriented person in my feeling experience.  I have met selfish people, thoughtless people, but never someone I would identify as a service to self philosophy.

What are these tendencies as you would describe it?
I think that many individuals who awaken, will discover at a certain point in their journey that they had some selfish / STS tendencies. It's the ones who follow such path consciously who we should be worry about. It's just a part of our psychology, to survive, mate, thrive, have as much possessions / money, protect what we have.

Thanks for sharing Stranger.
(09-27-2018, 09:27 AM)One of Love Wrote: [ -> ]As a person who identifies purely of service to the one true love, I do not know what a service to self tendency is.

Because truly I have never met a service to self oriented person in my feeling experience.  I have met selfish people, thoughtless people, but never someone I would identify as a service to self philosophy.

What are these tendencies as you would describe it?

You don't need to pursue STS "as a philosophy" to be STS-oriented.  STS is simply a tendency to predominantly make choices that serve one's self-interest at the expense of others
Ohh, I misunderstood!

Do you happen to see any kind of good out come existing when a person with those tendencies has them revealed to themself in a therapeutic approach?
(09-27-2018, 12:28 PM)One of Love Wrote: [ -> ]Ohh, I misunderstood!

Do you happen to see any kind of good out come existing when a person with those tendencies has them revealed to themself in a therapeutic approach?

I don't think so. Rather remaining aware of these tendencies from the other person and being a constant example to them is much more healing once the individual becomes aware of themselves. In my opinion.
Do you mean like having the person in question shadowed by a person helping call attention to that behavior for purposes of self reflection?

Edit, sorry, tired still. I meant shadowing like how a new manager will shadow the one leaving to learn the job or something like that?
Being a passive radiator of love and acceptance. Once a person realizes or wants to change their tendencies it's much easier having another who doesn't judge and provides the space to accept oneself, forgive oneself, and evolve.
(09-27-2018, 12:28 PM)One of Love Wrote: [ -> ]Ohh, I misunderstood!

It depends.

They may have been aware of it already, but justified it to themselves ("it's a dog eat dog world", etc) in which case it won't make a difference.

If they were not aware of it before, having it revealed will force them to make a choice: admit it and have to do something about it (this is the only healthy choice), or engage in some form of an ego-defensive maneuver (e.g., denial, anger at the person confronting them, minimizing the severity of it, etc.)
Ya don't say....
It is beneficial relative to the validation they get from peers or society. As well, the distance from the beneficial or positive side of that energy will determine their willingness to change.
What exactly is the act of 'service'? A 3rd density artifact like a car is totally of service to its owner or driver. Just think of a city bus or cab. They're saintly STOs and get to go to 3D heaven right? BigSmile
(10-05-2018, 04:28 PM)4Dsunrise Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly is the act of 'service'? A 3rd density artifact like a car is totally of service to its owner or driver. Just think of a city bus or cab. They're saintly STOs and get to go to 3D heaven right? BigSmile

4Dsunrise,

There is a misconception that service is about "acts."  Sure, acts are a part of it, but far more importantly, STO is about the emotional state or attitude from which we relate to the world around us.

Being kind, compassionate, loving, sincere are all STO "acts", whether or not these states are accompanied by observable behavior.

Any antagonistic emotion towards another - resentment, hate, jealousy, critical judgment/feelings of superiority, intent to use another for one's advantage and their loss - are all STS "acts", whether or not these are expressed in observable behavior.

Psychopaths, for instance, are amazingly skilled at acting STO while harboring STS intent.  Their actions are STS-polarizing, regardless of how "helpful" they are being in the moment - because there is a selfish ulterior motive.

Wishing well to the planet, all the people and/or other living beings on it is STO polarizing, even if nary a finger has been lifted to do anything.

And your car, dependable and helpful as it may be, having no intentions behind its "behavior", remains forever in the "sinkhole of indifference" (it doesn't really, that's a joke - but it does not polarize).

Even as you are sitting now and reading this - what polarity is your emotional being vibrating with?

We are human beings, not human doings.  The doings are always secondary - although ultimately your STO orientation will strongly pull you to express the motivation/emotion through action, and intention/emotion combined with action is more strongly polarizing.

Hope this clears it up.