Bring4th

Full Version: What books are you currently reading?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What books are everyone reading right now? I’ve been in reading mode as of late. Maybe we can share some ideas.

I am currently reading Manly P. Hall’s incredible Secret Teachings of All Ages. It’s fun to read and packed full of information on psychology, philosophy, metaphysics, occult theory, etc.

I’m also refreshing my mind of the world’s mythologies with Bulfinch’s Mythology. He covers just about everything. Greece, Rome, Troy, Eastern, Northern, the Age of Chivalry (King Authur and His Knights, these are my favorites), Welsh, and then the Legends of Charlemagne.
[Image: 2rSGzqvl.jpg]

I'll admit: I'm not too fond of Indian 'gurus' and sages.  This guy is one exception though.  

He's the real deal.  

Mad respect for this guy.
After a long hiatus from reading I'm hoping to finally finish Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig, and Spiritual Ecology: The cry of the Earth a collection of essays edited by Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee. 
Right now I'm reading The Root of Chinese Qigong by Yang Jwing-Ming. 

Just finished The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (excellent sci-fi/social commentary) and before that Far Journeys by Robert A. Monroe (the second book in his series about out of body experiences).

My "to read" pile is getting a little ridiculous . . . and I keep adding to it. BigSmile
On my third time reading it (Audio Book).

[Image: 200px-TheCuckoo%27sCalling%28first_UK_ed...9cover.jpg]
Mine is getting g bigger and bigger too lol @Spaced.

Since it’s October, I think it’s a good time to read more of HP Lovecraft. That’s my kind of horror. Dagon probably my favorite thus far.
I am reading Q'uo but in between  I am re-reading 1Q84  which I just love. my pile is high too    Blush
I am reading A Wanderer’s Handbook by Carla, The War Of Art by S. Pressfield, and The Beautiful and Damned by F.S. Fitzgerald (the later, to fall asleep at night)
Finished the The NeverEnding Story for the first time, followed by The Montauk Project - Experiments In Time. 

Currently re-reading Faust: Part One. Absolutely love Goethe. Makes even the devil himself such a delectable character.

Mephistopheles:
I speak the modest truth, I use no art.
Let foolish little human souls
Delude themselves that they are wholes.
I am part of that part which once, when all began,
Was all there was, part of the Darkness before man
Whence light was born, proud light, which now makes
  futile war
To wrest from Night, its mother, what before
Was hers, her ancient place and space. For light depends
On the corporeal worlds--matter that sends
Visible light out, stops light in its stride
And by reflected light is beautified.
So, light will not last long, I fear;
Matter shall be destroyed, and light shall disappear.
(10-14-2018, 03:21 AM)RitaJC Wrote: [ -> ]I am reading A Wanderer’s Handbook by Carla, The War Of Art by S. Pressfield, and The Beautiful and Damned by F.S. Fitzgerald (the later, to fall asleep at night)

Rita, I like that, I wonder what Scott F. thinks of being some sort of sleeping pill... I always found the beautiful and th damn pretty boring . I have an utterly boring book for when I wake up in the middle of the night. Then I have another which is utterly funny and makes me laugh so much that I get so happy that I fall asleep too in a minute...
(10-15-2018, 10:16 PM)Cyanatta Wrote: [ -> ]Finished the The NeverEnding Story for the first time, followed by The Montauk Project - Experiments In Time. 

Currently re-reading Faust: Part One. Absolutely love Goethe. Makes even the devil himself such a delectable character.

Mephistopheles:
  futile war

Tell me about the Montauk Project! Wasn’t this based on an actual experiment by the military?
(10-16-2018, 08:19 AM)Nau7ik Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-15-2018, 10:16 PM)Cyanatta Wrote: [ -> ]Finished the The NeverEnding Story for the first time, followed by The Montauk Project - Experiments In Time. 

Mephistopheles:
  futile war

Tell me about the Montauk Project! Wasn’t this based on an actual experiment by the military?

Interestingly enough, this video came up in my Youtube feed when I was searching for stuff on DIY synth mods, before ordering the book and reading it on a whim. Preston Nichols (the heavyset man in the video) goes into detail about his work as a recording engineer and his involvement in the Montauk project at the Air Force base on Long Island. The book basically explains the continuation of the Philadelphia Experiment (WWII era tech) into the Montauk Project (70s, 80s tech) that went deeper into experiments involving time travel, manipulating space/time and making objects appear and disappear with a chair/room they developed over the years, and eventually the termination of the project because Duncan and a few others thought the researchers were tampering with the fabric of space/time too much and created/released a "monster" on the base so they would just end the damn thing. It's basically the same premise for which the show Stranger Things is based on. Interesting stuff to read about, but there's no hard evidence to back any of it up, just a bunch of personal testimony. In fact you might get more out of watching the video, as far as credibility and believably goes. There is a lot of information presented from an electrical engineers perspective as fas the design and layout of the "chair" they used for the experiments. Apparently they just picked up thousands of homeless kids and derelicts off the streets in NY to use for the experiments and would just "lose" them somewhere/when in hyperspace. s*** does get kind of crazy the more the book goes into detail about the experiments in the 80s. Maybe worth the read if it interests you, but again, it's all soft evidence, so take it with a grain of salt.
Memories of a Maverick by H.G.M Hermans
[Image: 83dae97436de57be454f141778b5ecf7.jpg]

I just finished reading this. It's an intriguing and enlightening look into the life and work of this man, written and researched by one of his ex-wives. There's a lot to get from this book, covering science, spirituality and human relations. I was left feeling sad that none of his work, social or scientific, really made it to the mainstream, and that which did or could have was smeared by the media or sabotaged by the CIA before it even had the chance. Andrija was clearly a flawed man as his ex-wife will tell you in this book, but human to the core with a true desire to aid humanity. Little more than 20 years since his death, I have to hope that his work for peace and enlightenment is carried on by a new generation of inspired spiritualists and scientists.
[Image: VdYBkWo.jpg]

[Image: 4VqJizt.jpg]

A friend recommended this recently, just started reading it today. Very interesting seeing the parallels between eastern Christianity and my own spiritual path I've traversed over the years but haven't quite been able to properly convey (an intense psychedelic induced ego-death/unity of all/God/Heaven/Return-to-the-Source experience I had about ten years ago - followed by searching online to find answers about the experience I had using search terms along the lines of "everything is one" - discovering/stumbling on the Ra material - afterword exploring my spirituality without strict adherence to one religion over another - few years of feeling ultimate unity, forgiveness of self/others, less anxiety, more confidence - few years of the opposite of that (not as fun as the former) - slow climb back to the Light - explore spirituality/faith again with friend on similar path - realize the reverence I had forgotten for "3" while exploring "1" - renewed curiosity in Christian faith but still uncertain about how to approach and accept it with my anchored understanding of God/Unity (a direct line to the source) without repeatedly questioning why I need to go through Source-become-flesh instead of just going directly to Source myself in seeking forgiveness of self/others).

A couple of books by Morgana Starr about angels on Kindle.
She's one of the people on Angels Oasis.
(10-15-2018, 11:08 PM)flofrog Wrote: [ -> ]Then I have another which is utterly funny and makes me laugh so much that I get so happy that I fall asleep too in a minute...

Could you share what that book is?
(03-21-2019, 11:58 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-15-2018, 11:08 PM)flofrog Wrote: [ -> ]Then I have another which is utterly funny and makes me laugh so much that I get so happy that I fall asleep too in a minute...

Diana, it is " Happy All the Time" by Laurie Colwyn, it was written in 1978, It is just delightful.

Right now I am reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog which is profound about love that you can have as friendship, it's awesome
(03-21-2019, 12:20 PM)flofrog Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2019, 11:58 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]

Diana, it is  " Happy All the Time"  by Laurie Colwyn, it was written in 1978, It is just delightful.  

Right now I am reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog which is profound about love that you can have as friendship, it's awesome

Thank you!
Drunvalo Melchizedek - Ancient Secret of The Flower of Life (vol.1).pdf (PDFy mirror) - Internet Archive
https://archive.org › stream › Drunvalo ...
[Image: 71qWDVkNMRL.jpg]

Jordan B. Peterson: 12 Rules for Life

At first I was a little sceptical about this book. I thought: not again - another bestseller about selfhelp and secrets of prosperity ... But now I'm pleasantly surprised! Peterson relies very much on archetypes and personal experience in suggesting the way of balance between chaos and order. Great insight in archetypal, racial and planetary mind. Smart and witty. A very balanced "left" and "right brain" approach.
Right now I am reading Meditation and Kabbalah by Aryeh Kaplan. It’s mostly a historical survey of the Hebraic mystical systems starting from ancient times (the times of the prophets) to modern day Kabbalah. He includes translated excerpts from many old, hard to find Kabbalistic texts. I’m reading about the Ari, Rabbi Isaac Luria (1534-1572), and he was remarkable! I read a little from one of his books and this guy is the real deal, no doubt whatsoever in my mind. He recognized that there are positive and negative commandments and that man should keep the positive ones. He taught reincarnation.

Very interesting is that the Ari did not make any use of the Practical Kabbalah (magick). He advised against it.

Quote:None of this was attained through the Practical Kabbalah, heaven forbid. There is a strong prohibition against using these arts.

Instead, it came automatically, as a result of his piety and asceticism, after many years of study in both the ancient and newer Kabbalistic texts. He then increased his piety, asceticism, purity and holiness until he reached a level where Elijah would constantly reveal himself to him, speaking to him “mouth to mouth,” and teaching him these mysteries.

This is the same thing that had happened to the Raavad, as Recanti states. Even though true prophecy no longer exists, Ruach HaKodesh is still here, manifest through Elijah. It is as the prophet Elijah taught his disciples, commenting on the verse, “Deborah was a prophetess” (Judges 4:4): “I call heaven and earth to bear witness, that any individual, man or woman, Jew or Gentile, freeman or slave, can have Ruach HaKodesh bestowed upon him. It all depends on his deeds.

[Image: 61adv%2BDaanL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
I am reading a book called " Madame Fourcade Secret War" Once in a while, not often, but because my parents lived WW2 in france, and my dad was deported as he was doing secret work against the nazis, I like to read something on that era, just thinking about them, and really in awe. This one I got because in fact after my dad's camp was liberated and after I was born, this woman married a friend of my dad, a mr. fourcade, became madame fourcade, and would come for dinner at home with her husband, but I never heard that she was in the resistance as talks at home were very, very rarely about the war... that was just a weird thing when I saw her name on the book title at the book store, checked her first name and saw it was her Wink
Last night, I started reading The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer
(04-09-2019, 05:25 AM)RitaJC Wrote: [ -> ]Last night, I started reading The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer

Loved it!
I’m enjoying Adyashanti’s book Emptiness Dancing
~
"The Period-Index Problem for Twisted Topological K-Theory"
by Benjamin Antieau & Ben Williams (2011-04-24)

We introduce and solve a period-index problem for the Brauer group of a topological space. The period-index 
problem is to relate the order of a class in the Brauer group to the degrees of Azumaya algebras representing it. 
For any space of dimension d, we give upper bounds on the index depending only on d and the order of the class. 
By the Oka principle, this also solves the period-index problem for the analytic Brauer group of any Stein space 
that has the homotopy type of a finite CW-complex. Our methods use twisted topological K-theory, which was first 
introduced by Donovan and Karoubi. We also study the cohomology of the projective unitary groups to give cohomo-
logical obstructions to a class being represented by an Azumaya algebra of degree n. Applying this to the finite 
skeleta of the Eilenberg-MacLane space K(Z/l,2), where l is a prime, we construct a sequence of spaces with an 
order l class in Br, but whose indices tend to infinity.

Practical application of above findings, applied in the cosmic Einsteinian-speed-of-light-speedtrap-vs.-transEinsteinian-metalightspeed domain:

"The Gm-Equivariant Motivic Cohomology of Stiefel Varieties"
by Ben Williams (2011-05-21)

We derive a version of the Rothenberg-Steenrod, fiber-to-base, spectral sequence for cohomology theories 
represented in model categories of simplicial presheaves. We then apply this spectral sequence to calculate 
the equivariant motivic cohomology of the general linear group with a general Gm-action, this coincides 
with the equivariant higher Chow groups. Some of the equivariant motivic cohomology of a Stiefel variety 
with a general Gm-action is deduced as a corollary.

Practical application for all my equivariant motivic co-homies at B4th:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

[Image: How-to-win-friends-and-influence-people.jpg](First published 1936)

Practical application(on-the-job):
Cool
(05-28-2019, 05:11 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 473393-l.jpg?v=1400540400]

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/mo...ails-news/

isis do you like it ? Wink
(05-28-2019, 05:26 PM)flofrog Wrote: [ -> ]isis do you like it ?  Wink

no, flofrog, I must say I love it! Wink

I can't wait for the new movie.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=9983809]
The whole Dune series is awesome. Prepare to be sucked into a vortex of spice.
Pages: 1 2