Bring4th

Full Version: Dealing with the guilt on asking others for aid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am writing this because I have been facing a big dilemma this year. I have always been in a reasonably good position both financially and otherwise to aid others in both mental/spiritual and also on a small scale financial matters.

This year the position has changed considerably. My physical health with ME/CFS has declined, to a point where the fatigue is extreme, my disability social security was stripped (pending a court hearing that has taken an extremely long time, to restore it), and I have been living off a ridiculously low income (less than £700 monthly).

This year I have survived and been able to see my partner with the goodwill of friends, many have come to my aid due to past aid it seems.

I have had issues asking for help from people, in particular, financial help. I am having trouble with the guilt aspect of this which is probably also a self-love issue, as many people in the world have it much worse off. This peaked when I found out the Home Office require I have around £8k for visa application fees for my partner to be with me. I had first found this figure to be around £3k and promptly sold every material possession I owned (this was the application fees). Games consoles, cameras, old books, CDs, DVDs, anything apart from a smartphone and laptop that wasn't bolted down I sold. I don't really care for material things, given the position we are in.

After getting some advice 3 days ago, and this is the moment that has completely crushed me and sent me on a spiral to need to ask others for aid, having already sold everything I own to go towards the application fees alone already, I also have to based on my circumstances be able to show at least £5k in savings on top of the application fees. Who on earth has that kind of money just lying around? My partner is one of extreme service-to-others and has with me been a great driver of spiritual growth for us both. To bypass this requirement, I have spent time in the Philippines thanks to a friend paying for this along with air miles, though the high temperature and lack of any social network has proven to affect the CFS/ME much worse than I could have expected, plus incomes here are so low and i would be giving up my social security and any hope of survival. Most filipino families have at least one member of the family with foreign income to survive. To maintain my social security income, I will need to fly back to the UK in days (you cannot be abroad more than XX days on social security) with no way of knowing when I will see my partner again, only when I have raised the funds needed, plus the many months it takes for a visa application to go through, plus it must all be held for six months to be counted in the application.

I have done everything within my power, realistically to sort this out and it has come to me having to ask others to fund this. The guilt is overwhelming me, because I do not like asking for money in particular, any other form of aid I am fine with but there is something about asking others for money that I really find difficult.

I can't get over the guilt that others would need to fund this I had any hope of bringing him home to be with me. He works 6 days a week, 18 hour days for £150 a month, nowhere near enough to survive over there with health limitations, at all for one person, let alone two. My entite spiritual circle and other connections are all in the UK, as well. Both of us have tried our best, and still am in fact. But i have nothing left to sell to raise any more funds, and too low an income to raise the money before my current social security award would run out (thus loosing entitlement to the reduced visa costs, you then are mandated to be a in job earning over £18,600 a year to be granted a visa for your married or unmarried spouse). I was fine when I was on disability, as I truely have a very limiting condition and it provided me with enough to live on with a bit left over to socialize among other things, as I am generally quite good with budgeting and money.

How do I go about dealing with this guilt of asking for help and financial aid from others? I have always until my disability was stopped this year been independant without the need to ask others for barely anything, but I was always able to give excess and also give time and emotional support to others, this year I have found the situation reversed of me needing a lot of aid, both mentally and financially while my partner sits on the other side of the world with the same struggles.

I am usually quite positive, but this has been a low point for me lately, I can see no way out, a ticking clock of being able to get a visa for my partner before my award runs out, poor health and just in general struggling. What do I do? I have been really knocked out of the groove by these events, ever since I found out how much I would need to bring my partner to the UK. The straw that broke the camels back as they say. How do I get over the guilt of asking? And not just the guilt, the very real prospect that if I do not raise what I need, being apart from my partner for potentially years, but I still feel guilty asking for aid :/

I am sorry for a bit of a negative tone, I am just struggling with this concept, at the moment.
Sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time. I'm not sure what I can offer to alleviate your suffering during this time, but I can give you my opinion.

I don't see any problem in asking for help, especially if it's for the bare necessities. Perhaps you're feeling guilty about asking for assistance because you believe others will be guilted into helping you when they don't really want to? Well, that's on them and not your responsibility. People are free to agree or refuse giving assistance.

Service to others doesn't preclude asking for help when it is sorely needed, you are offering those in your circle the opportunity to help a friend in need. Honestly there are people who find a lot of joy in giving a leg-up to another, we just have to use discernment when it is the right time. Some people will be in a position to help, others won't be, all to varying degrees, and that's all OK.

And money is just one form of service, perhaps you can think of ways to return the favour in ways that do not involve money, not because you have to, but just because you like to express your gratitude.
I too am sorry to hear the problems you are having.
I don't really have any advice to give. Just my love and heart and hope for a good future.
Bashar says we shift between timelines that already exist, based on our thinking.
I get hopeless sometimes too when I think about my book not doing well.
But then I remember that I create my own reality as they say.
I wish you the best, friend.

I am currently in a lot of debt and seeking my first job in my career, so I cannot help financially.

I hope you find happiness!
I know how you feel about being guilty about relying on others for help. I understand how it feels.
In my experience, once you are STO polarized, your reality/enviroment will provide you exactly what you need at the the right moment, you dont even need to ask for help, because it will be provided by "you", by oneness. So instead of focusing on negative thoughts and feelings like guilt, stop them, go back in your spiritual truth, and everything will be sorted out.
Thank you for your suggestions guys. I do not often get that low, it is just a very big shift in my life and suddenly needing the aid of others so directly and in such quantities.

Thank you very much guys for your help and suggestions, the support means a lot! Before I go home back to the UK me and my partner want to go somewhere rural with no technology or links and just have a reconnect with nature + earth and do some meditation and restore some balances before I have to go back and see what's what.

Jacob
A double post, but i felt this was relevent:

I asked last night from the bottom of my heart for a spiritual sign.

I go out around 30 mins ago on the front porch for some air and a guy from america happens to be walking past, we have never seen him round this subdivision before.

He starts talking about the spiritual love that connects all things, that all things are interconnected, etc etc. Never seen him before. The chances of bumping into him and him coming up to me and mentioning all that is slim, amazing, and it was the sign I asked for. The universe works in mysterious ways!

Love you all <3

Subtle signs are the best, though that was not so subtle <3