Bring4th

Full Version: Meditating on emotion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've noticed that I meditate a lot less due to catalysts in my life journey and a lot of emotion that I don't know how to properly deal with or that I use as an excuse to do other things.

This is a sort of process that I am going through and wish to share with whoever might find it helpful to them too.

So,

Start with sitting in a posture you find comfortable at that moment.

Decide that now is a time you wish to experience a few peaceful moments and listen to yourself.

Close your eyes, and just let your mind run a bit as you breathe.

Try and become aware of your breathing. It helps to sometimes make a really deep breath, the deepest you can make, like when you are relieved of something.

If you feel stressed or anxious, breathe slower and deeper.

If any feeling/emotion arise during the meditation, delve into that feeling and be with it.

Do not hate that feeling, do not tell it that it is a bad feeling.

Try and be present with it as much as you can, as if your entire presence is in the feeling / place that causes the feeling.

Give that feeling love, peace, acceptance.

I think this is pretty much it for now.

If I find anything new helpful I might edit and add.

Thanks for reading!

Namaste.
One thing that I’ve noticed with myself, and I’m sure others have as well, is that when a thought or feeling comes up during meditation that I don’t particularly like I will immediately try to distort the image into something else. As long as one can be mindful and realize he’s distorting the image, one can stop himself and sit with it and look at it dead-on. And I have found that when you allow it, it doesn’t affect you so much anymore.
Because meditation is a time where we are allowing ourselves to be vulnerable, in a sense. It’s a safe atmosphere in which to do this emotional and mental work.
We want to be completely honest with ourselves.

Thank you for sharing blossom!
thank you blossom too !

I don't know if this will interest anyone, this was how I started to meditate.I was at the time 20 and lived in paris. In paris you have these tiny public gardens nearly in many places. There is like five or six trees, two or three benches a bit of meadow and some small bushes, a small sand pit for toddlers. It is funny because it is surrounded by streets but if you go and sit into one, even a small one, there is definitely a sense of isolation from the city where noises are muffled, it's really awesome. They are called 'square' and the french pronounce it like 'squouare'. So I went to one and sat and closed my eyes and honestly I knew nothing about meditation except sit in silence, I didn't even know about emptying your mind. So I started to listen intently to every noise, the breeze, the rustle of leaves, someone walking on the sand, a car honking, someone talking nearby. That's how I got to live in the moment and it in fact helped stopped the flow of thoughts cause I was so intent to listen on every second, after every second, till it felt like I was becoming time. I was hooked lol
Thanks for sharing this blossom. I'll give it a go right now.