Bring4th

Full Version: Any gamers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I used to want to be a pilot. I ordered a few brochures before for schools.

I haven't used FSX before, which is supposed to be an excellent flight simulator.

Now they have a Steam version.

Anyone use that here?

What joystick/controller is good to use with it?

I have a gaming laptop/desktop, and I want to use it for that.

I did play the Top Gun game for the Sega Game Gear years ago.
That was fun cause you got to shoot missiles and stuff, and the options were  so many.

I think this will be fun.
I don't really do flight sims, but from my friends who do they looooooove FSX, including one friend who is an actual pilot. Also DCS is great too (Digital combat simulator - freeware game).
I decided to get X-Plane 11, because it is constantly updated, where FSX is no longer updated.
It's like a 55GB download, and will take up nearly all my SSD.

I just ordered a joystick to go with it.

It does virtual reality, but I'm not sure if I have all the ports needed for that.
I do have a 4K tablet, but I'm not sure if the card it plugs into has an HDMI and a usb-c port
which is what the Windows Mixed Reality takes. There is also Oculus Rift.

But I'm not going to invest in that until I know that I will stick with the simulator.

I read that the controls in X-Plane 11 are more realistic than FSX.

I won't have room for another game after this. I will only have like 3 GB free on my 256GB SSD.
You ever played freespace, klingon academy or freespace open or any popular mods like Babylon 5 for it? Got some good use for my joystick on freespace and very good non joystick space flight on klingon academy and very good newtonian space flight model in babylon 5.
(12-30-2018, 05:36 AM)Cyan Wrote: [ -> ]You ever played freespace, klingon academy or freespace open or any popular mods like Babylon 5 for it? Got some good use for my joystick on freespace and very good non joystick space flight on klingon academy and very good newtonian space flight model in babylon 5.

Never heard of those games.
But I'll be down to my last 3GB of free space, so won't have enough to install any other games.

I don't know a way to transfer my system to a larger 500GB+ SSD drive with all my programs.

It would be interesting to have a game where you fire lasers or photon torpedoes or stuff.

This was the joystick I ordered.

[Image: 81M-avwx%2BPL._SL1500_.jpg]
(12-29-2018, 10:32 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]I used to want to be a pilot. I ordered a few brochures before for schools.

I haven't used FSX before, which is supposed to be an excellent flight simulator.

Anyone use that here?

That was fun cause you got to shoot missiles and stuff, and the options were  so many.

Sounds cool, how good is your comp?
I only play pictionary.

https://skribbl.io/

helps me with my spelling
(12-30-2018, 08:12 PM)Infinite Unity Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2018, 10:32 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]I used to want to be a pilot. I ordered a few brochures before for schools.

Anyone use that here?

Sounds cool, how good is your comp?

8 core 4.00 GHz
16GB RAM

It's got a gaming motherboard and video card in it. The video card has a displayport that supports 4K.

I think it will handle X-Plane 11. It's a 55GB download though, and it takes me over a day to download that much on my connection.
Video card matters a lot.

For VR you would need a VR set, preferably Vive.

However VR is in the opening stages yet, and even though it provides an experience, its not good for long-term gaming. There is the binocular effect, insufficient resolution per eye, screen dpi insufficient etc.

If you want more immersion, going for Eyefinity with 3 monitors would be more immersive, cheap and maintainable for the time being.
Quote:[Image: 81M-avwx%2BPL._SL1500_.jpg]

I'm not going to go VR.

I do have 2 monitors. One is smaller but is a 4K drawing tablet to my left.
So I'm sure I can get by with both.

The X-Plane 11 crashed the first time I used it.
When I restarted the pc and turned on my 2nd montior, it ran fine.
But I have a lot to learn about it. I don't even know yet how to get it going.
I am putting X-Plane 11 on my gaming laptop which has more space and has a better graphics card. I hope I get good enough at it to use the air traffic controller.
I read that you can set it to hear the ATC chatter.
I don't know how to file flight plans and all that, so that's still a bit off.
My laptop has an i7 where my desktop is an AMD.

The CPU in the desktop is more powerful, but it's the GPU that makes the difference in gaming.

But it does allow you to dogfight against the artificial intelligence of the software.
But that is for another day.

I can't do multi-player probably because my internet is not that good.
(01-01-2019, 07:46 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]I am putting X-Plane 11 on my gaming laptop which has more space and has a better graphics card

You should look into upgrading your desktop's graphics cards. AMD has many cheap offerings with good price-performance ratio.
(01-11-2019, 10:09 AM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2019, 07:46 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]I am putting X-Plane 11 on my gaming laptop which has more space and has a better graphics card

You should look into upgrading your desktop's graphics cards. AMD has many cheap offerings with good price-performance ratio.

The cards that would be good run about $400 and on up.
But they are newer than my motherboard, and it might not be able to handle the bandwidth even with PCI-Express 16.

I'll just give it a few years before I build a new desktop. I don't know how my future will be, so I need to  be cautious
about spending more money than I have to.
(01-12-2019, 12:28 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2019, 10:09 AM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]

The cards that would be good run about $400 and on up.

RX580s should be around ~$150 these days and they should give spectacular bang for the buck.

Quote:But they are newer than my motherboard, and it might not be able to handle the bandwidth even with PCI-Express 16.

Just check if it has PCIE 16 slot - that technology is pretty old.
As I was explaining in one of the threads.

Did you hear about 25th frame? It's a test they did on humans to see what they will remember while inserting 1 frame per second into 24-frame/sec movie.

Was a massive success.

Digital TV is 40-60 frames per second.

Do you know that Computer Games are 100 frames per second?

How are you planing to beat STS when they are loading your brain and subconscious with garbage at their own will at (100-24=) 76 frames per second?
(01-16-2019, 04:11 PM)smiLie Wrote: [ -> ]As I was explaining in one of the threads.

Did you hear about 25th frame? It's a test they did on humans to see what they will remember while inserting 1 frame per second into 24-frame/sec movie.

Was a massive success.

How are you planing to beat STS when they are loading your brain and subconscious with garbage at their own will at (100-24=) 76 frames per second?

I'm pretty sure video games just run at whatever frame rate your computer is capable of running them at. My friend with his junkyard PC certainly isn't getting that 25th frame, heh.
I never understood why people want their game to run at 100 frames/second. The human eye can only distinguish 30 fps.
Maybe the overhead extra allows them to turn up options like ray tracing and anti-aliasing.
(01-17-2019, 06:09 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]I never understood why people want their game to run at 100 frames/second. The human eye can only distinguish 30 fps.
Maybe the overhead extra allows them to turn up options like ray tracing and anti-aliasing.

This is actually a very common myth. Your eyes can see actually much higher than that. The average range of perception is being able to see up to 150 fps, though, it is probably not accurate to think of human eyes as seeing in terms of "frames per second" (like a camera or something) since that is more of a digital thing, and we have more of an analog thing going on with our eyes as far a visual sensate is concerned. Just watch a video in 30 fps and 60 fps and you will clearly see the difference, putting that myth in its coffin. Some people can go as far as 1000 fps, though that isn't everyone. There is a point at which there are diminishing returns. Again 150 is the average. But there is a lot of biological variation. Just be sure your monitor has the corresponding refresh rat (hz) to accommodate whatever frame rate you are trying to achieve.

The myth most likely arises from the fact that anything below 24 to 30 is noticeably slower, so as far as films are concerned they tried to make them at least that many fps, so it seemed reasonably fluid and life like. It might also be due to the fact that a single photoreceptor in your eye has a refractory period where once a photon hits it, there is a time delay before it is able to properly sense another photon and send the signal to the brain. Hence why people think this refractory period = 1/30 of 1 second.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(01-16-2019, 04:11 PM)smiLie Wrote: [ -> ]As I was explaining in one of the threads.

Was a massive success.

What does that even mean. Some display showing 100 frames/sec does not mean that it will feed you garbage, or it is sts. Neither it has anything to do with '25th frame!'. sheesh.