Bring4th

Full Version: What to do about boredom?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I no longer watch TV or movies or mindlessly watch Youtube vids or surf social media...

I've run out of things to distract myself with.

Still, I don't have much that I do with my free time, other than eat, sleep, do house chores, and spiritual practices. And out of those things, the only thing I enjoy doing is sleeping.
I try to make myself practice guitar, but the truth is, I don't enjoy it. Maybe I'm doing the whole practice thing wrong if I'm not enjoying it, I dunno, but the truth is, I just don't enjoy guitar practice very much.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do with my free time that would actually be enjoyable?

Does anybody have any suggestions?
I would look at a meetup (https://www.meetup.com/)
of something you're interested in.
You can meet with other people of the same interest.
They have weekly meetings for many things.
Maybe you'll make some friends.
I need to do something like that myself.
Thanks Indigo. I'll check it out.
(01-21-2019, 05:52 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]So I no longer watch TV or movies or mindlessly watch Youtube vids or surf social media...

Still, I don't have much that I do with my free time, other than eat, sleep, do house chores, and spiritual practices. And out of those things, the only thing I enjoy doing is sleeping.
I try to make myself practice guitar, but the truth is, I don't enjoy it. Maybe I'm doing the whole practice thing  wrong if I'm not enjoying it, I dunno, but the truth is, I just don't enjoy guitar practice very much.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do with my free time that would actually be enjoyable?

I would just suggest that everything in the universe has both good and bad qualities to it. Desirable, and undesirable.

So for example, TV, movies, YouTube, and social media all has both good and bad to it, positive and negative. It can be used to help and also used to hurt oneself, or an other self.

So really, if those are what you enjoy, then I don't see why you should cut them out of your life. They don't have to be mindless activities. YouTube is a fantastic educational resource if used in such a way. There are tons of incredible documentaries and personal accounts. And a good movie can really touch your soul. They can also be very bad for your soul. It is all about the judicious use of whatever you are using. The tools are the tools. You can use them to hurt or to heal. The choice is yours.

One thing that helped me, was "looking for the good in things". For example, there are menial tasks that every human being has to do (well almost everyone), like cleaning for example. I hate doing menial tasks, or I did until I learned to focus on the desirable qualities inherent therein. For example, while cleaning, I would focus on how comfortable, clean, and inviting the space would be once I was finished with my work. Focusing on this good aspect, made the unpleasant aspects far less unpleasant. This is just one small example. But you will find that your mind can be quite plastic with the right attitude. There are always things we need to do, try to find the most positive focus for each of those activities, and you will do them with far more efficiency and joy.

And as far as boredom, one thing Ra recommended is visualization, in meditation, as a powerful way to learn how to transcend boredom and discomfort. You can get so good at visualizing in deep meditation, than you can enter conscious dream states at will. It takes an enormous amount of time to develop that kind of ability (for most people) but you can make the practice extremely entertaining. Rather than visualizing simple shapes and colors (like most magical traditions start you off with). You can try to walk the border between sleep and wakefulness, and then just watch what your subconscious brings to your mind, visually. Try to maintain a state of "casual interest" in what is appearing. With practice, you can generate imagery that is extremely vivid and real. It is better than any virtual reality experience, I assure you.

For example, I will sit down in a recliner and close my eyes. I concentrate on my breath. With every breath out, I relax deeper. It is common to 'space out' at first. You will forget what you were doing. At this point, it is important to go back to the breathing and relaxation. Eventually that state will become stable. And then you just watch your minds eye. Random things will come up, sometimes I will get snippets of different environments. I might see some rocks near a beach, I become interested in the content of the environment and simply watch. It gets more and more vivid until you are consciously entering a life like dream. It can really be quite incredible, and even startling sometimes. You can learn to talk with different parts of your mind. You can learn to walk hand in hand with the magician (conscious mind) and the high priestess (a portion of the unconscious mind) to produce catalyst (empress archetype) of far more exquisite variety. These are the beginnings of the magical circumstance as you learn to gradually learn the art of directing the imagery without breaking the trance.
(01-21-2019, 07:06 PM)anagogy Wrote: [ -> ]I would just suggest that everything in the universe has both good and bad qualities to it. Desirable, and undesirable.

So for example, TV, movies, YouTube, and social media all has both good and bad to it, positive and negative. It can be used to help and also used to hurt oneself, or an other self.

So really, if those are what you enjoy, then I don't see why you should cut them out of your life. They don't have to be mindless activities. YouTube is a fantastic educational resource if used in such a way. There are tons of incredible documentaries and personal accounts. And a good movie can really touch your soul. They can also be very bad for your soul. It is all about the judicious use of whatever you are using. The tools are the tools. You can use them to hurt or to heal. The choice is yours.

One thing that helped me, was "looking for the good in things". For example, there are menial tasks that every human being has to do (well almost everyone), like cleaning for example. I hate doing menial tasks, or I did until I learned to focus on the desirable qualities inherent therein. For example, while cleaning, I would focus on how comfortable, clean, and inviting the space would be once I was finished with my work. Focusing on this good aspect, made the unpleasant aspects far less unpleasant. This is just one small example. But you will find that your mind can be quite plastic with the right attitude. There are always things we need to do, try to find the most positive focus for each of those activities, and you will do them with far more efficiency and joy.

And as far as boredom, one thing Ra recommended is visualization, in meditation, as a powerful way to learn how to transcend boredom and discomfort. You can get so good at visualizing in deep meditation, than you can enter conscious dream states at will. It takes an enormous amount of time to develop that kind of ability (for most people) but you can make the practice extremely entertaining. Rather than visualizing simple shapes and colors (like most magical traditions start you off with). You can try to walk the border between sleep and wakefulness, and then just watch what your subconscious brings to your mind, visually. Try to maintain a state of "casual interest" in what is appearing. With practice, you can generate imagery that is extremely vivid and real. It is better than any virtual reality experience, I assure you.

For example, I will sit down in a recliner and close my eyes. I concentrate on my breath. With every breath out, I relax deeper. It is common to 'space out' at first. You will forget what you were doing. At this point, it is important to go back to the breathing and relaxation. Eventually that state will become stable. And then you just watch your minds eye. Random things will come up, sometimes I will get snippets of different environments. I might see some rocks near a beach, I become interested in the content of the environment and simply watch. It gets more and more vivid until you are consciously entering a life like dream. It can really be quite incredible, and even startling sometimes. You can learn to talk with different parts of your mind. You can learn to walk hand in hand with the magician (conscious mind) and the high priestess (a portion of the unconscious mind) to produce catalyst (empress archetype) of far more exquisite variety. These are the beginnings of the magical circumstance as you learn to gradually learn the art of directing the imagery without breaking the trance.

Sounds interesting. I'll see if I can do that.

As for seeing the best in things, I guess I could watch education YT vids, but it still feels like distraction to watch them. But what am I distracting myself from when I don't do anything in my day? I need to find a way to enjoy guitar practice... I'll also see if I can learn to enjoy chores, like you recommend. I think I can learn how to enjoy meditative and spiritual practices, chores will be more difficult to appreciate. Once I can do that, my day will be much more enjoyable.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
Anagogy, you're always so wise in your answers.
Where did you get such learning?
I like how you describe the process for meditation.
(01-21-2019, 05:52 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]So I no longer watch TV or movies or mindlessly watch Youtube vids or surf social media...

I try to make myself practice guitar, but the truth is, I don't enjoy it. Maybe I'm doing the whole practice thing  wrong if I'm not enjoying it, I dunno, but the truth is, I just don't enjoy guitar practice very much.

Walk? Outside.

If you don't have any good areas walking distance, drive to the park. Parks are awesome.

Walk? Outside.

If you don't have any good areas walking distance, drive to the park. Parks are awesome.
[/quote]

I go for meditation walks frequently. Still, thanks for the advice.
(01-21-2019, 07:06 PM)anagogy Wrote: [ -> ]

I would just suggest that everything in the universe has both good and bad qualities to it. Desirable, and undesirable.

Interesting!

What you explain here happened to me by accident some days ago while taking a nap.

Being tired helps me get into such states. but that also encourages me to fall asleep and become fully unconscious.
Read.

Wikipedia has a wealth of subjects, if you start on just one, you can read for hours before you know it.
Yeah okay I do intend to read. I just wasnt sure what to read until just a short bit ago when I ordered a book Agua recommended. It should come in by tomorrow. I also found I have anhedonia, which is where you don't enjoy anything you do. It's a symptom of depression. So I may spend some time reading up on that.
I write. I draw. I make up stories in my head. In fact, I spend so much time making up stories in my head, that's one of the benchmarks I use for "is this a real spiritual experience or not" because I'm capable of fictioning myself to tears by rehearsing what I'm about to write in the landscape of my brain.

...It feels very different than channeling.

In fact, it distracts me from my spiritual connections and is capable of completely cutting them off if I'm too excited about my creative engagement!

I am never bored, because even if I don't have somewhere to write my stories down, I can pull them up and play with them like invisible dolls. Or if I don't feel like storytelling, I find the music in the atmosphere and sing along, humming or making up words and engage myself with my body, stretching or moving in some way to stimulate myself.
As I go through my day today, I realize that no matter what I do with my time, I'm gonna be uncomfortable and not really enjoying my time. I've got some major issues with being present that get in the way of me enjoying life. I'm bored as hell, but I dunno if there's anything I could do with my time that would make me enjoy it. I've got to get over my issues with being present first.
(01-27-2019, 04:59 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]As I go through my day today, I realize that no matter what I do with my time, I'm gonna be uncomfortable and not really enjoying my time. I've got some major issues with being present that get in the way of me enjoying life. I'm bored as hell, but I dunno if there's anything I could do with my time that would make me enjoy it. I've got to get over my issues with being present first.

In my small opinion,I believe youve struck gold. Some small suggestions that may help. Is to try and be grateful, grateful for the simplest aspects of our lives, such as shelter, warmth, or food. Can help "open the curtains to the soul".

In my small opinion, being present. Or being in THE Moment, is a great discovery. Its like finding out who you truly are, realizing that just being is spectacular, and theres still all this creation as well!!! When you open the gateway to the present moment, Infinity is entered or realized. Which is always and forever present.

Now dont get me wrong I still fall and have to raise back up, but I will never give up on reaching that level and never losing it. I will walk the dream in waking life. As my brothers back home call it.
(01-27-2019, 11:27 PM)Infinite Unity Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2019, 04:59 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]As I go through my day today, I realize that no matter what I do with my time, I'm gonna be uncomfortable and not really enjoying my time. I've got some major issues with being present that get in the way of me enjoying life. I'm bored as hell, but I dunno if there's anything I could do with my time that would make me enjoy it. I've got to get over my issues with being present first.

In my small opinion,I believe youve struck gold. Some small suggestions that may help. Is to try and be grateful, grateful for the simplest aspects of our lives, such as shelter, warmth, or food. Can help "open the curtains to the soul".

In my small opinion, being present. Or being in THE Moment, is a great discovery. Its like finding out who you truly are, realizing that just being is spectacular, and theres still all this creation as well!!! When you open the gateway to the present moment, Infinity is entered or realized. Which is always and forever present.

Now dont get me wrong I still fall and have to raise back up, but I will never give up on reaching that level and never losing it. I will walk the dream in waking life. As my brothers back home call it.

I'm still working on being present. For years, I realize that what I did to occupy my mind was daydream/fantasize about the possible future. I still do that sometimes, especially lately. Or worry about the future. Or obsess over the past. It's hard for me to just be present. I don't really like my present moment very often.
(01-28-2019, 07:15 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2019, 11:27 PM)Infinite Unity Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm still working on being present. For years, I realize that what I did to occupy my mind was daydream/fantasize about the possible future. I still do that sometimes, especially lately. Or worry about the future. Or obsess over the past. It's hard for me to just be present. I don't really like my present moment very often.

I understand that. Keep working on it brother. I am as well.
Thanks Rita. Watching now.
Thanks for posting that Rita. It helps me gain some perspective on my boredom. So when I get bored, I should just sit there with my boredom? How long should I sit there with my boredom/fear/anxiety/sense of lack?
(01-30-2019, 12:44 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for posting that Rita. It helps me gain some perspective on my boredom. So when I get bored, I should just sit there with my boredom? How long should I sit there with my boredom/fear/anxiety/sense of lack?

I don't believe you "should" anything. And you can do whatever you want.
(01-21-2019, 09:28 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Walk? Outside.

I go for meditation walks frequently. Still, thanks for the advice.

Great.

I have another one. Get a Friend.

Sounds like all you guys are so lonely , I am really sad about it. Just go get friends, if you can't find anybody, do something good for your soul and depression - like donate stuff, help homeless or children, volunteer etc. So that you can overcome this outflow of energy that happens when you are lonely and depressed.
(01-26-2019, 11:38 PM)Tae Wrote: [ -> ]I write. I draw. I make up stories in my head. In fact, I spend so much time making up stories in my head, that's one of the benchmarks I use for "is this a real spiritual experience or not" because I'm capable of fictioning myself to tears by rehearsing what I'm about to write in the landscape of my brain.

...It feels very different than channeling.

In fact, it distracts me from my spiritual connections and is capable of completely cutting them off if I'm too excited about my creative engagement!

I am never bored, because even if I don't have somewhere to write my stories down, I can pull them up and play with them like invisible dolls. Or if I don't feel like storytelling, I find the music in the atmosphere and sing along, humming or making up words and engage myself with my body, stretching or moving in some way to stimulate myself.
Can you give some tips about this creative process?
at this stage I'm trying to finally figure out what message I want to convey through creative work. having a vision really matters I think..
Being appreciative that you have the time and circumstances to be able to be bored may also be a course of action.
I'm not working so sometimes I get stir crazy at home. If that's the right word. Maybe I'm thinking cabin fever.
I'm working to meet new people, but they all live a long way off the one's I've managed to contact.