Bring4th

Full Version: I AM THAT book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who else has read I AM THAT?

In it he mentions how to shift the focus of consciousness beyond the mind is to refuse all thoughts except "I am".

It is more of a Q&A book with a spiritual master, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj.

It is interesting hearing about the world he lives in/experiences.

He mentioned how do we know that the world continues when we are in unconscious sleep.
That the world appears and disappears continually. While his state is permanent.

I am only on page 18, so not that far yet.

The world of our perceptions is a very small world indeed. And it is entirely private.
To go beyond yourself, you must know yourself. You must know all that you are not.
Awareness is not of time. Time exists in consciousness only.
By itself the light can only be compared to a solid, dense, rocklike, homogenous, and changeless mass of pure awareness, free from the mental patterns of name and shape.
When the mind is still, absolutely silent, the waking state is no more.
To take appearance for reality is a grievous sin and the cause of all calamities. You are the all-pervading, eternal and infinitely creative awareness: consciousness. All else is local and temporary.
I am realizing I need to start with "I am Love" rather than "I am".
"I am" is a bit too abstract for me to get my mind around.
I can't get myself to focus on that. But knowing I am Love, which is infinite, I think I can do that.
I was looking through some of these older posts and saw the book mentioned you're speaking of... "I am that". Back when you first posted this, you hadn't read much of the book. Did you finish it? I've read through about two thirds of it, and periodically pick it up again to read a few pages.

Rather than get into all the philosophical points of it, I'd just like to boil it down to what it seems to me to be. The "Teacher" appears to be going through his life avoiding Catalyst.

However, I'm sure the teacher knows much more than I do about all he talks about, and I honor his choices.

Do you have anymore thoughts on the book?
(03-11-2019, 04:26 PM)krb Wrote: [ -> ]I was looking through some of these older posts and saw the book mentioned you're speaking of... "I am that". Back when you first posted this, you hadn't read much of the book. Did you finish it? I've read through about two thirds of it, and periodically pick it up again to read a few pages.

Rather than get into all the philosophical points of it, I'd just like to boil it down to what it seems to me to be. The "Teacher" appears to be going through his life avoiding Catalyst.

However, I'm sure the teacher knows much more than I do about all he talks about, and I honor his choices.

Do you have anymore thoughts on the book?

Well I put it down to read a book on Bhakti Yoga. The I Am That has been my mousepad for a bit, which is unfortunate cause it gets dirty.
I am 68 pages into it and may get back to it.
I am also listening to the Lord of the Rings audio book.

What struck me was that in I Am That the teacher says that he is already dead.
First, I forgot to comment on what you stated would be a better phrase to state and meditate upon... "I am Love", rather than "I am". I'm whole-heartedly in agreement with you on that.
I agree with the teachers statement, he is dead to this world... not sure what it does for him though.
Sounds like you'll be tied up for awhile with the "Rings" and the Yoga book. I just finished up "Wagging the Moondoggie"... ( a book about the moon landings).
Well, if you ever get back to the "I am" book and post more, I'll look for it.