Bring4th

Full Version: Joker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw "Joker" last night. I don't watch the media so I knew nothing about it other than it starred Joaquin Phoenix whom I greatly admire as a actor and individual.

It is a brilliant film. I agree with one reviewer that it is "Bold, devastating and utterly beautiful." It's not easy to watch at times, especially for empathetic people. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is unforgettable, as is the cinematography and score. This is no comic book movie; it's the story of a disenfranchised person—and ultimately, a disenfranchised society.

I did look at the media coverage after I got home last night. This movie has obviously hit a nerve, and I think it is because so many people on this planet feel unheard, unseen, and uncared-for. There is much hype about it causing social unrest and the like, but what it really does is create a great mirror of human complexity—akin to some anime but much deeper and more real—and it makes you feel many things. It is a movie you can't get out of your head, and you don't really know why—but I expect it is because of its expression of human truth and 3rd density existence.

It's not that the plot or anything specific can be pointed to to describe what this movie is, but like a great work of art, it conveys something beyond. 

Joker is not for the faint of heart, or for someone who prefers a positive vision of life. It takes a little courage to expose yourself to its raw reality, to allow yourself to feel the pain of others, but it is so worth watching.
Yeah, I saw it too. It was a good movie for sure. The people who hate the film because it portrays a downtrodden, impoverished and mentally ill white male sympathetically show their true colors. They're racist for one, if they thinl the main character is undeserving of empathy because he's white, sexist if theu think so because he is male and ultimately, lack the empathy and compassion they like to virtue signal themselves as having. Shows how much they REALLY care about the poor (not much/not at all) and how empathetic they are towards the hardships of others in general. It's pretty gross how they demonize incels. Noy being able to get laid = monster to these people, and it shows just how shallow and judgemental they really are. And the media... I'm sorry, but it's like they WANT some incel to be inspired by this movie and shooting up a theater. They're just licking their lips at the thought of the ratings and controversy. It's really gross.
I am curious to watch it, I think all art and all media is a mirror in which people see themselves reflected. I am interested to see what I will find of myself in it, but also am not rushing to go watch it.
(10-09-2019, 04:48 PM)Aion Wrote: [ -> ]I think all art and all media is a mirror in which people see themselves reflected. 

Of course. I could generalize and say everything is a mirror. Let me be more specific, this is an extraordinary example. Not only extraordinary, but timely.