Bring4th

Full Version: Talking about Soy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I read a bunch of stuff about Soy the other day. Some of the points I read about are as follows.
-85% or more of the Soy is GM.
-Organic Soy isn't really good for you either. Has a lot of toxins.
-Organic Soy that has fermented is the only Soy that is good for you Because most of the toxins are gone after the fermentation process.

I've noticed that Soy is in almost everything these days in some form or another. Soy oil and Soy Lethicin are in most of the ingredient lists that I read at the grocery store. It can also be there hiding as "vegetable oil" and the like.

I'm finding it very, VERY hard to avoid this stuff as I try to eat healthier these days. It's looking like I have to avoid all processed foods which is not easy for me on a daily basis. Working and being my own full time chef is next to imposible if I want to have time for anything else besides working and cooking. I'm feeling a little frustrated by this.

I'm assuming that some of you have read a lot about Soy. What are your thoughts on this topic?
85% of soy is GM => in america maybe.
I don't have any answers Smile but I have similar thoughts along the lines of the number of children born with serious allergies these days.
I have a website for parents of kids with eczema - these kids with really bad skin are very prone to food allergies too.
Soya allergies are increasing and as you say it is in everything, same with dairy and egg.

My website is mainly too empower parents dealing with these sensitive babies, as often the only rout the Dr's offer is suppression of there immune system which is counter intuitive to a lot of parents. (for skin, not anaphylaxis Smile )
Often the food allergies relationship is completely ignored till the infant is blue lighted to an A&E department.

My take on it is as a global catalyst and wake up call - it's currently around one in 5 kids that have extreme sensitivities, it will not be long till it's 1in 3.
Are we as a race of people going to accept that 1 in 3 of our offspring is born ‘faulty’ and unable to cope with the life we have created?
Are we going to accept in the west that our new babies need there immune system suppressing to cope with life here?

Or can we use this as a wake up and look at how we are living, what we are eating, using, wearing Smile
What kind of toxins are in organic soy? And fermented soy is called tempeh, I think. In any case, if you're that concerned about soy theres many other beans you could eat, or you could eat alot of nuts and seeds.

I eat as healthy as I can, within reason. I know being a raw vegan would be healthiest, but I draw the line somewhere with convenience, time consumption, cost and flavour. When I'm out on the town I often eata slice of pizza or a sub with cheese in it because its hard to find falafel and even harder to find a veggie burger. I'm the healthiest person I know so the occasional extra intake of saturated fats isn't a big deal in my opinion. A good question to ask about eating as healthy as possible is: to what end? If as wanderers we only need to be here until december 2012 then we could eat mcdonalds every day and still live long enough, though we'd be alot less energetic. When I go eat somewhere with my friends I'm eating less healthy than I would at home, but in exchange for that minor impact on my health I'm opening up my chakras a bit more and polarizing a bit more, which is far more important to me than whether I'll die of natural causes at age 85 or 87.

Meerie

Many people are allergic to soy already, because as you mentioned it is contained in so many foods.
Side effects of soy consumption is also that it has effects similar to estrogene in your body.. in fact some call it "plant estrogene".
It may be good for menopausal women but not for everyone.
In the case of organic soy, or just about any unsprouted or unfermented nut, seed, legume, or grain, the toxicity you speak of is from phytic acid. It is not so much a toxic substance as it is a nutrient-robbing compound that also decreases the effectiveness of digestive enzymes.

Here is a link for a more detailed explanation:
http://www.naturalnews.com/030304_whole_..._acid.html

In addition to fermenting as a possible solution, I would also suggest looking into sprouting. This removes most of the anti-nutrients and makes the good vitamins and minerals much more accessible. Eating smaller quantities of soy while might be another good way to go so your body can still manage to absorb most of the nutrition from the food you eat.
Hi, peelstreetguy Montreal person & all ! B-)

(11-07-2010, 12:59 PM)peelstreetguy Wrote: [ -> ]-85% or more of the Soy is GM.
Do you know about those stores?

TAU. Marches alimentation naturelle.
http://www.marchestau.com

We do almost 100% of our groceries in those 2 places:
TAU,
and this type of in line coop. store:
http://www.ecomarchedesolidarite.org/ecomarche

Sooooo, no more worry about USA's crap and aspartame, splenda,
GMS/MSG, high-fructose, Monsanto's poison$. . .hormone$. . .
. . .and the greedy like$. . .

Blue skies.
Thanks C-JEAN, I'll definately look into those stores!!!
[Image: 89I51.jpg]

the only SOY I eat is soya sauce!!!

- -

as a side note, I think that Wheat is a thing to be much more concerned about. Google 'wheat belly' and see the disastrous effects.

much better off to use potatoes as your source of carbs than wheat/bread.