Bring4th

Full Version: Happiness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right here, right now in this 3d dance are you happy?

If you are, why are you? How has your spiritual seaching aided you in finding happiness?

If you're not, is there anything you feel is preventing you from being happy?

One of the aspects of the Q'uo transcripts that keeps me returning to them more frequently than the Ra material is the undercurrent of joyfulness

Happiness is something that eluded me for many, many years, and I spent much time contemplating it. I believe my happiness has manifested through surrendering as fully as I can to the 3d experience and removing any attachment to the 'what comes next' preoccupation that I used to have.

On some posts on Bring4th I sense underlying unhappiness, and I wonder why, and so I would be interested in a discussion of the concept of happiness as it relates to 3d life.
I think the mind throws moods at us randomly, but its completely within its powers to make us happy all the time, so whenever I'm feeling sad I force myself to be happy again, and as a result I'm content or happy the majority of the time.
Most of the time, I'm able to find true joy in life. But sometimes I find myself slipping into stages of discontent, resentfulness, and the like. Since awakening, the only time when I'm ever in a state other than joyfulness is when I've forgotten to apply core truths to my everyday life experience. In other words, forgotten to be mindful of what I'm putting out, forgotten to see others as other-selves, forgotten to look for the love in the moment. I think a lot of the time when unhappiness or discomfort grips us, it's a signal that we need to move deeper, to look deeper into our reactions to what's going on in our lives.

I like what you say about "attachment to the 'what comes next' preoccupation". That's one of the many behaviors that can hold back a person from deep acceptance, I think. In theory, just being completely present and empty is the key to a life of true happiness, lived in the love of the spirit. But in practice, it's so hard because the darn ego just wants to keep popping up again and again... And we drag ourselves out of the present moment over and over...

Hehe, my kitten companion is trying to attack the words as I type them on the screen... that makes me happy. :p Why do kittens make us happy? Does happiness = wholeness?
Oooo, Good question. Yes for the most happy Smile

I have little wobbles now and then, mainly when I get to concerned with trying to 'fix' something or someone else instead of just letting them be what they are and were there at and loving and accepting them for it…. Like Aaron mentions, forgetting to apply core truths.

Fortunately I find it relatively easy to return to myself and find the peace and love within.
I think surrender is a lovely way of putting it.
For me it is often surrendering the thoughts of my mind to the faith in my heart Smile
Hi Lorna

good question. as far as happiness goes i am happiest when i am with
my family, my wife, children and grandchildren. also being around
animals and out in nature brings me joy. i find that prayer is comforting
and reading different books on spiritual topics brings me peace and
inspires me.
on the flip side we live in a world that is essentially a prison. a few elite
rich control the vast majority of wealth and the rest of mankind is in a
form of slavery. the injustices that i see leave me with a sense of frustration at the unfairness of it. so long as we have a physical body
with physical needs there will be suffering. so for me to be totally happy
i need to essentially live in a nonphysical reality that is egalitarian.
hopefully that happens very soon. in the meantime i try to do my part
in this game of life

norral
(11-10-2010, 12:32 AM)Aaron Wrote: [ -> ]Hehe, my kitten companion is trying to attack the words as I type them on the screen... that makes me happy. :p Why do kittens make us happy? Does happiness = wholeness?

Kitten synchronicity. A reminder of the concept of "fun"...something kittens excel in.

Richard
hey norral, your post reminds me of how i felt a few years ago - a temporary, fleeting happiness which was dependent on external factors and influences

i've found that working with the Ra material, Q'uo transcripts and other material and experiences that came along over the last 10 years or so, an inner core of happiness or contentment has developed that cannot be tarnished by external factors. i'm so grateful for this. happiness, contentment and a feeling of 'all is well' are the most important things in my 3d life that my spiritual searching has brought and i guess i wondered whether other people had had similar experiences

yes of course i still have ups and downs and stresses, mainly stresses, but these times don't damage me the way they used to because while dealing with difficulties my default position is still that of being happy, and what a gift that is, i have much to thank the Ra and Q'uo for in this respect as i don't think i could have found that internal stability so quickly had i not encountered the work of L/L Research

Brittany

Right now I tend to be on a roller coaster of the highest elation and the deepest depression. With the shift growing ever more obvious, my emotions are becoming much more potent. Every little thing has such meaning now that it doesn't take much at all to make me explode with joy or go all to tears. If anything, I am thankful for finally being able to recognize catalyst as it comes my way and actively use it, even if it produces feelings of sorrow and pain. I can still have the underlying joy that I am learning and growing. I feel like part of the veil has already been lifted, though not much has changed in the physical.

One of the few things that often brings me down is homesickness. As I feel more and more love coming through it reminds me more and more of those places that are a distant memory in my mind, and the faces I long to see again. It is such an intense, burning longing. I really don't want to quit the race this close to the finish line, though. I know they are all with me in spirit, and I still have work to do here, though part of me wishes with all my heart that they would come and beam me up right this second.
Dear Ahktu

i can relate to the swings in emotions. there have been times when i
feel like im going from pillar to post in an hour and it ain't fun. i also
very much can relate to the homesickness. i dont really feel at home
here on this earth with its cruelty and lack of love. like u i remember
where i came from and it was a lot better than this thats for sure.
hopefully soon we will return to where we are from

norral
Hi Lorna

happiness has been quite elusive for me in my life. Most recently the song "The Boxer" popped in my head. S&G have such an amazing harmony in their voices and that is something that really makes me feel joyful. But I do feel pretty beat up in the past couple of years on this spiritual path. It has been a struggle.

The Boxer

Nature also gives me alot of joy.

And the Q'uo manuscripts have been a wonderful source of upliftment, healing, validation, comfort and reminder of unconditional love.

Meerie

The goal is to be unconditionally happy, no matter what the external circumstances may be like...
sometimes when I am in the midst of emotional turmoil I get the impression that underneath all that there is peace and quiet, like a big reservoir of... happiness? it is there all the time, it just needs to be tapped. All the drama and unhappiness is just superficial.
I consciously remind myself to find happiness in the moment... just to see the autumn leaves perform their little dance on the street in front of me makes me happy Smile
You found the secret of the Now Meerie... That's how Buddhists escape. Eckhart Tolle also makes a big deal about this now experience.

I just tap into that, while there are enough excuses for me to be unhappy, in the end I'm just a regular guy, I just consider it not an option. Corny as heck, but happiness is a choice, and a really basic and simple one at that.

I try to stay out of discussing this. Usually I get hit on the nose, with "You've got it easy." or stuff like: "How could I be happy? I'm in a wheel chair?" Happiness is not dependent on your physical state.

I suspect most people would answer the question "Are you happy?" with: "Let me think"....

Everyone knows the correct answer is derp
Ali Quadir,

If you were unhappy about something, I think it's quite OK to feel that way. It all gets dissolved and forgiven in the heart of unconditional love anyways, so why not just be honest about how you feel?

Heart
Thanks for your care Shemaya, but I am honest... I am honest and happy. The first and foremost reason for unhappy feelings is the inner dialog. That's why Meerie feels such calm when she looks at the true now. All the drama is really superficial. And it really really is.

This is a good summary: http://imgur.com/7d4t6

If I admitted to being unhappy. I would become unhappy because my inner dialog would identify with being unhappy. Happiness isn't a state, it's a choice. We're unhappy for as long as we tell ourselves that.

I used to be unhappy. I've got the self mutilation scars on my arm. At one point when I felt particularly lonely and unhappy I asked myself why... And there was an answer... "Why? That's what you want isn't it?"

If you feel unhappy and want to stop doing it... Stop reinforcing your unhappy thoughts. It's choice choice choice... My grandfather on his deathbed was crying tears of happiness. So I have no excuses. My ex left me, so what? The ones before her were always worse than their follow ups. So the one after my ex will be awesome, partly because I am starting to figure out how to be awesome myself...

This may not come across as the bouncy variant of happiness. I don't feel the need to be that, though I get that too, I don't have an in built Prozac gland. I haven't cried a tear of sadness in years. I do cry of gratitude and happiness about once every day or two days. Really, I am that demented. I'm really emotional for a guy. But the negative self talk gets the middle finger it has nothing to offer me. To me it's not about being strong, it's about not being stupid.

Give me any thought, and I'll transmute it into a better one...
Ali Quadir Wrote:I do cry of gratitude and happiness about once every day or two days. Really, I am that demented. I'm really emotional for a guy.

Haha if you're "that demented", Ali, then I'm right there in that demented emotional boat with you! I do the same thing. You're not the only emotional guy. :p

Great posts here, by the way. Smile They helped a lot.
I don't have a formula for always being happy, i am learning to unconditionally accept myself and others, I am also accpeting the fact that Light allows All That Is to Be from >>itself and does not bat an eye for either positive or negative since both ultimately lead back to unity.

I am learning to love my negative self as i love my positive one , isn't light and love in all things ?

I have been learning to love and accept my ego and in this processes the fact i am in this state of mind called earth (which varies in moods and possibilities) and that it is ok to be human and flawed and separate from the whole.

Because at all times the whole is in the part and it would not be whole without the part.

And this shall forever be eternally, Everything consciousness is able to experience it will do/be so, including negativity/suffering to positive/pleasure and beyond of duality.

But i love this i really do, it is an orchestra up to the core of the singularity (ONE)

Every NOW is perfect in a way, it can be perfect Ecstasy or perfect misery but perfect they are.

E
Quote:I have been learning to love and accept my ego and in this processes the fact i am in this state of mind called earth (which varies in moods and possibilities) and that it is ok to be human and flawed and separate from the whole.

Yes it sure does vary. When we return to our innocence we can just let happy be happy, sad can be sad and so on. And it's OK.

It's Ok to be sad when someone hurts you, or abuses you or hurts others or abuses them. Or when you see a picture of emaciated children in Africa somewhere. Sometimes the Now is just not happy.

P.s. I also cry for gratitude and happiness and beauty every day or two so I must be really demented. Sometimes it's just too much.... happy, sad, joy, gratitude....I must be really confused. I think the question just caught me at the unhappy moment.
(11-10-2010, 05:48 PM)Lorna Wrote: [ -> ]i've found that working with the Ra material, Q'uo transcripts and other material and experiences that came along over the last 10 years or so, an inner core of happiness or contentment has developed that cannot be tarnished by external factors. i'm so grateful for this. happiness, contentment and a feeling of 'all is well' are the most important things in my 3d life that my spiritual searching has brought and i guess i wondered whether other people had had similar experiences

yes of course i still have ups and downs and stresses, mainly stresses, but these times don't damage me the way they used to because while dealing with difficulties my default position is still that of being happy, and what a gift that is, i have much to thank the Ra and Q'uo for in this respect as i don't think i could have found that internal stability so quickly had i not encountered the work of L/L Research

Lorna , I get what you are saying and I do feel the same way from that perspective. From the core of me and the spiritual perspective, all is well and all is loved and all is accepted. That is an internal stability, that I can tap into also.

I think "happiness" is maybe a bit of a superficial word to use in describing this deep sense of contentment and wellness. Considering the various catalysts we may be encountering in our lives, its just one emotion out of many many possibilities.

Quote:If you feel unhappy and want to stop doing it... Stop reinforcing your unhappy thoughts. It's choice

I agree with you Ali , we always have the choice to hold on to negative thoughts, or to change what we are thinking. And we can hold onto emotions in our body as well. I think the key with emotions is to be honest, and let them flow, and try to avoid getting stuck.
This post makes me more happy ;D

Great response Ali & Meeri - Even when my Mum was dyeing I could still find the peace and happiness in the moment.
I guess I'm lucky like that.
It didn't take me long to realise that when I was distressed/crying/sad it was cause I was thinking thoughts that made me so...... I realised it didn't make me a bad person to stop thinking them.
Obviously there was lots to work threw as time went by and it wasn't easy but I remember the time as a time of growth rather than sadness.

The smashing pumpkins song – Today and that Sanskrit poem the salutation of the dawn could both bring me to the ‘now’ in a flash.

I don't beat myself up about having less fuzzy feelings or thoughts, I just try to accept them as feelings and make sure I don't point them at anyone.... and let them go when they've served there use.

Laughing helps too BigSmile I often find when I'm not feeling myself it's cause I'm taking myself too seriously and I need to lighten up.
Wow, it's been a while since I heard that song Smile I loved it when it came out... this one needs to be mentioned too Smile Of course, I was much less happy then Tongue

Quote:I realised it didn't make me a bad person to stop thinking them.
That's a good thing to note. In a way, we can come across as insensitive by choosing feelings. As if you don't really care because you're not sad enough or something.

In the case of the death of a loved one. We can use the mourning period as a period in which we recall all the awesome things and experiences we had with someone. You'll still miss them, habits around these people have to wear off just the same, the preoccupation is neurological, that won't change, but instead of being "heart breaking", the mourning process can also be "heart warming". The feelings that come are the sum of all the feelings you associate with all the thoughts that come up.

To truly miss someone is, if you look at it without the hurt, an extremely beautiful thing. Having them around is of course much better..

But there's another one that I noted... You can tackle conflicts the exact same way. Our instinctual response to conflict is agression. By choosing emotions. We can choose patience and firmness. The effect is much more powerful as it can disarm the other self and put them in a frame of reason. Sometimes people can interpret a passive approach to conflict as weakness. We will be considered safe enough to dump the negativity on, but too weak to be shown the hurt of the other. That's why we need firmness. Then it becomes passive but with strength, and giving that to the other too. You put your own emotional responses aside for a second to be with another person. And when we're angry usually we just want to be heard. I had a lot of practice in this Confused but am very satisfied with the outcomes. I definitely recommend it.

A story of the Buddha is told that set me an example, he once was at a city gate and met someone who considered or thought him an enemy. This man immediately verbally attacks the Buddha, being quite inventive too. The Buddha just stands and looks at him... Only after 30 minutes the man slows down enough for the Buddha to get a word in. The Buddha said "I see you need some time to reinvent new things to call me. Shall we continue same time tomorrow?"

Instead of seeing someone who was hurting him he saw someone who was hurt. Reality followed perception. Happiness pretty much comes when you stop taking yourself too seriously.
Great question Lorna.

As I reflect on the state of my incarnation, I find that I create stress and anxiety where none is needed. I somehow and for some reason often turn life into a problem that need not be. This does not manifest itself into dramatic activity or outward expression, but it frequently seems to be more or less present in the background of consciousness.

By most definitions my life circumstances are favorable. I probably don't experience 90% of the grueling catalyst that most have to endure on this planet. Yet there seems often to be a low, underlying level of dissatisfaction. Seldom am I at ease, relaxed, and at one with the moment.

As I watch the workings of my energy dynamics, I see that I rarely want to be fully in the moment. I'm often looking to get to the next moment, to get the task before accomplished in order to be in a seemingly "better" moment. And when I arrive at that moment - even if it is filled with the most desired activity or leisure time - I still myself desiring something more. Ugh. Smile

So I continue to meditate and watch the contraction loosen every so slightly over the long run, releasing tension muscle fiber by muscle fiber.

Love&Light, GLB
Interesting thread, great to see peoples thoughts.

To join the conversation; I inhabit a joyful place. Each day I remember how beautiful the gift of experience of life is; an opportunity to radiate love into the world; to be of service. Being absorbed on a starry night always rekindles my core to it's fullest too, along with absorbing the beauty of all nature.

That thought also has the power of putting things into perspective if I find my physical mind/ego distracting me with thoughts that are out-of-whack with alignment with source. Find yourself thinking a fearful thought? Simply (re)remember the gift of experience.

Happiness is indeed a choice, we each have the power to apply meaning to catalyst. It's our state of being that determines the happiness of our circumstances, not visa-versa.
I am glad we have this forum to share our perspectives on life and consciousness a few years back this would not be happening, great times we are in ;D

E (Very happy right now and still aware)
(11-12-2010, 11:06 AM)Experience You Wrote: [ -> ]I am glad we have this forum to share our perspectives on life and consciousness a few years back this would not be happening, great times we are in ;D

E (Very happy right now and still aware)
(11-09-2010, 07:56 PM)Lorna Wrote: [ -> ]Right here, right now in this 3d dance are you happy?

If you are, why are you? How has your spiritual seaching aided you in finding happiness?

If you're not, is there anything you feel is preventing you from being happy?

One of the aspects of the Q'uo transcripts that keeps me returning to them more frequently than the Ra material is the undercurrent of joyfulness

Happiness is something that eluded me for many, many years, and I spent much time contemplating it. I believe my happiness has manifested through surrendering as fully as I can to the 3d experience and removing any attachment to the 'what comes next' preoccupation that I used to have.

On some posts on Bring4th I sense underlying unhappiness, and I wonder why, and so I would be interested in a discussion of the concept of happiness as it relates to 3d life.

as Ra says:

17.2 Questioner: Is it possible by the use of some technique or other to help an entity to reach fourth-density level in these last days?

Ra: I am Ra. It is impossible to help another being directly. It is only possible to make catalyst available in whatever form, the most important being the radiation of realization of oneness with the Creator from the self, less important being information such as we share with you.

- -

if we are unhappy or disconnected we help no-one.

here is another thread on the Happiest Man in the World lol.

http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=1684

Quote:Buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard claims you can practice your way to happiness, and he should know: After MRI scans showed that he experienced extreme levels of positive emotions and few negative ones, he became known as "the happiest man in the world." Trained as a cell biologist in France, Ricard moved to the Himalayas in 1972 to study Buddhism. He's now a translator, a photographer and the Dalai Lama's French interpreter. His books -- the proceeds of which go to 41 humanitarian projects in the remote Himalayas -- include "The Monk and the Philosopher" (a dialogue with his father, a famed philosopher), "Happiness: a Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill," and, most recently, "Why Meditate?" AOL Health spoke with Ricard about the cultivation of happiness, the benefits of altruism and how 30 silent minutes a day can change your life.

Do you think you're the happiest man in the world?
It's better than the unhappiest person in the world. It was a cover line on a Buddhist independent journal. Of course it's cute, but it doesn't rest on scientific evidence. I took part in some ongoing studies on compassion. It's a jump to say my results mean that.

What is happiness?
Happiness is a way of being rather than an endless search for experiences. Pleasure is fine but depends on things that are subject to change: people, places, things. Something tastes good; fire warms you when you're cold. But then this experience turns neutral or averse: Even the most beautiful music is unpleasant after 24 straight hours. But happiness is a more durable state. It's a cluster of basic human qualities that nurture a state of fulfillment, flourishing, of appreciating your life. It's inner freedom, inner strength, inner peace. These are the resources to deal with the struggles of life. The more you experience happiness, the deeper and more stable it becomes.

You link meditation with happiness. Why?
Meditation is not an exotic eastern practice but is actually mind training. We all have a mind and can work with it.

So the basis of happiness is mind training?
In the sense that mind training means harnessing the potential we have for less vulnerability to provocation from outside. Meditation helps you cultivate a better emotional balance and inner freedom so you are not a slave of impulses like anger and craving.

And you do this by sitting for 30 minutes a day?
There are different types of meditation, and I tried to gather all these exercises into a small manual for a Western audience ["Why Meditation?"]. But in clinical trials that study the effects of meditation in the West, 30 minutes a day has been the foundation. We always see that after three months, meditation has had a significant effect in reducing stress and the tendency toward depression. It reinforces the immune system and positive emotions. It's been studied for 10 years in the West. Sitting for that precious 30 minutes modifies the quality of the other 23 hours and 30 minutes.

So happiness is a skill?
Pleasure cannot be cultivated -- only renewed. But you can cultivate inner peace, strength, freedom -- the qualities that create genuine happiness. We start with different baselines: For instance, everyone will not become a champion of tennis, but within a few months or a few years of training, even a beginner can become a decent player and enjoy it.

Do negative emotions, like anger, have a purpose?
If you witness someone beating a child or an injustice, anger can motivate you to do something. But all the studies have shown that people who systematically vent their anger just reinforce their tendency to be angry. You don't just want to suppress it or you'll be like a time bomb. Instead, you look at your anger and let it vanish. When you cease to fuel a fire, it slowly dies out.

You're not talking about being a pushover.
A mother who gets angry and aggressive is taken over by nerves. A mother can be loving but still firm, straight and a bit severe. You can extend that attitude of the mother to others.

What about sadness?
Sadness is not incompatible with happiness because happiness is not just a pleasant sensation. Sadness can help you feel compassion. Even when you are sad, you can continue to do wonderful things.

What is the relationship between happiness and ambition?
Ambition for wealth, fame or power puts our hopes and fears outside ourselves. It's individualistic, self-centered and egocentric. But ambition in terms of becoming a better person, preserving the environment or finding inner peace can motivate you.

The search for material goods seems to become a cycle for people -- the emptier they feel, the more money and stuff they seek to fill the void.
Yes, they feel empty so they go for a shopping spree or get a younger wife. You get addicted to selfishness.

Is it a lost cause with some people?
Sometimes people say, "I can't sleep." I say, "We have a clinic next door -- go help, and I bet after two weeks, you will be able to sleep." They come back with a more humane perspective and find satisfaction and fulfillment.

So to snap out of it, help other people?
I've seen many successful people who feel empty. They start helping underprivileged kids and find such meaning in life. Everything is different.

People assume altruism may make them unhappy.
Your primary motive is to help others, but it's also the best way to be happy yourself. Ayn Rand said that you should be selfish and should not sacrifice any part of yourself. She didn't get the point. Altruism is the best way to make yourself happy. If you look at living beings and see how your actions can contribute to a more compassionate society, you flourish.

of course, we can't just ignore things and hope they'll go away ... but we can stop adding to the mental mess by indulging in horror-type scenarios.

I do things to:

1) maximise my state of health
2) minimise the number of hours worked (lol at the economy)
3) pursue my spiritual goals
4) be as good a friend as possible

that's a formula I've found that works for me.

[Image: FDpRm.jpg]

Ra: I am Ra. It is impossible to help another being directly. It is only possible to make catalyst available in whatever form, the most important being the radiation of realization of oneness with the Creator from the self

RA themselves loves them some joy --

Rejoice in the love/light, and go forth in the power of the One Creator. In joy, we leave you. Adonai.

and glow with the joy of creation.

. It is a great joy to leave you in the love and the light of the One Infinite Creator.

It is our joy to speak with you.

in the green ray activated being there is the potential for a direct and simple analog of what you may call joy,

Unity, love, light, and joy; this is the heart of evolution of the spirit.

and more allow our understanding of experience to be informed that we may come closer to the unity with the One Creator which we so joyfully seek.

and so on and so on. There is some sorrow too, but it seems vastly outweighed.
I think being "at peace" and being "happy" are two different things. To me:

Happy is a strong, fleeting emotion, like a high. Carefree, childlike enjoyment is "happy" to me.

At peace, is what we are when we are present, and in a place of acceptance.

I have had a lot of happiness in my life, but it does exist as a continual state. When I am under stress, happy is not compatible (for me).

However, I can be under stress and find the peace. Being present does it. Being in nature and with animals are a sure way to come into the present. The animals around where I live helped (help) me so much in that way. If I am under stress, and feeding a deer an apple while the deer stares into my eyes, there is no where else I can be but present, and at peace.