Bring4th

Full Version: Intuition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read a theory in a book once which I agree with that theres two modes or style of thinking: logic/intellect and emotion/intuition, and that in general males use the first slightly more and in general females use the second slightly more. I use the first alot more, making me sort of a vulcan or robot, any tips on how I could reach a better balance? I assume meditating more, relaxing more in situations id feel uncomfortable in, opening up to people more, etc. I find I'm often bad at coming up with topics of conversation, I often worry when I make new friends that one day I'll run out of things to talk about with them. And my intution is much weaker than almost everyone I know. I'd really like to improve in this area, to embrace the - shall I say - art loving female archetype.
(12-19-2010, 12:47 AM)turtledude23 Wrote: [ -> ]I read a theory in a book once which I agree with that theres two modes or style of thinking: logic/intellect and emotion/intuition, and that in general males use the first slightly more and in general females use the second slightly more. I use the first alot more, making me sort of a vulcan or robot, any tips on how I could reach a better balance? I assume meditating more, relaxing more in situations id feel uncomfortable in, opening up to people more, etc. I find I'm often bad at coming up with topics of conversation, I often worry when I make new friends that one day I'll run out of things to talk about with them. And my intution is much weaker than almost everyone I know. I'd really like to improve in this area, to embrace the - shall I say - art loving female archetype.
Jung described four primary mind-faculties: thinking, feeling, sensation, and intuition. To use Ra's terminology, the thinking and sensation standpoint is from space/time to time/space (part to whole), while the feeling and intuition are the reciprocal: from time/space to space/time (whole to part).

Myers-Briggs found that males on average tend to be 60% biased towards thinking with females 60% biased towards feeling.

Intuition is a perception that tells you where something is going and from where it came. Sensation is also an immediate perception involving the senses. Jung considered both of these faculties as "irrational", since no actual evaluation of the information is made.

Feeling and Thinking are "rational" judgments, in that they involve evaluation rather than perception. What you evaluate is also stored as actual knowledge (Ra's experience-of-mind archetype or the authority figure we see depicted by the emperor tarot card). It is not possible to "polarize" (to use Ra's terminology) without such evaluation.

BTW, feeling and intuition are often confused because they both involve time/space (whole-to-part, or immediate acausal) perspectives.

I can guess that if your intuition is "weak", then it's reciprocal, your sensation experience, is strong. Maybe you are an artist.

To reach a better balance, you simply do things which require the use of your less-dominant faculties.
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-perso...nction.asp
http://www.famoustype.com/functions.htm
Your intuition is equal to that of any other person. You need only practice listening to it.

The energies that are flooding the planet right now are of the divine feminine; opening of the heart (intuitive). To do so is simple; feel instead of think.

If you're faced with a decision, quiet the calculating mind (which attempts to work out the optimal outcome for you, something the physical mind is not capable of), and go with the heart; how you feel. Intuition comes from the Higher Self. It's your personal guidance system. Over time, open yourself to it, and the trust will develop and deepen. Positive synchronicities will start to occur more frequently, guiding you further.

One can practice this easily, with anything. Ask yourself simple questions: "an apple or an orange?". Questions such as these are perfect, as they do not necessarily engage the rational mind (as much, if at all). Other examples: "shall I read book X, or book Y?", "shall I start yoga or tai chi?", "does bob have my best interests at heart?", and so on.

A great tip; if you "think you should", or "better have" do something - that's the rational mind. It often makes you do things you actually do not want to do.

Regarding conversation; culture has imposed the notion that one has to be able to talk continuously in social situations. If you take a step back and listen to others, most are of a negative nature, especially when alcohol is involved. Quiet is a wonderful thing, as is a brief shared conversation between people who resonate with each other.

Choose who you spend time with.
(12-19-2010, 12:47 AM)turtledude23 Wrote: [ -> ]I read a theory in a book once which I agree with that theres two modes or style of thinking: logic/intellect and emotion/intuition, and that in general males use the first slightly more and in general females use the second slightly more. I use the first alot more, making me sort of a vulcan or robot, any tips on how I could reach a better balance? I assume meditating more, relaxing more in situations id feel uncomfortable in, opening up to people more, etc. I find I'm often bad at coming up with topics of conversation, I often worry when I make new friends that one day I'll run out of things to talk about with them. And my intution is much weaker than almost everyone I know. I'd really like to improve in this area, to embrace the - shall I say - art loving female archetype.

Feel free to seek improvement in any asepct in your life But also be proud of who you are and nurture the qualities that you already have. It is much easier to build on strength than improve upon the weaknesses. Nobody has everything.
(12-19-2010, 06:32 PM)Namaste Wrote: [ -> ]Your intuition is equal to that of any other person. You need only practice listening to it.
I agree. Before you even begin to think there is a very quick impulse which is your intuitive response. If you don't use it much it might not seem like much.

Also something I learned that helps me is to focus on the out breath and place my mind in the outside world. Outside of my head. That makes it immensely more easy to respond to that world. If you're solidly in your head it takes literal seconds to get out of it if you can convince yourself to do so and that way it can seem like you're totally blocked.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book about this where he combines the science and the practice of using your intuition.

fairyfarmgirl

Good Greetings!

Some really great suggestions. I will be trying some of them in the near future for myself.

Also, a couple of other great ways to learn to drive that rig of yours: the intuition are:

Do everything with your other hand (except tasks that require handness such as writing or driving). But choicemaking, use the other hand. For example, What to eat just reach for food with the other hand and see what you choose. What to wear? Which type of soap to buy in the store? Out for a walk, Go left or Right onto the road? What chair do I pull out to sit in when at a cafe? What type of beverage do I want. Use the other hand to find that out. It is an adventure in honing your intuitive sense.

The intuition will assist you in making really interestingly and good choices. What your other hand chooses... go with it before your conscious mind begins to make judgements about it. Say to yourself. I am going with this choice. My first choice.

If you are righty---> use the Left hand. If you are Lefty---> use the right hand. Handness is linked to the conscious mind. Use the other hand, access other forms of intelligence. Intuition is another form of intelligence.

The first choice is usually the best choice.

Next, I suggest purchasing or making some affirmation cards (any Health or new age store has them or try amazon.com). Write affirming words on the cards. Think in terms of Unity Consciousness Words (ie. Love, Empathy, Connection, Understanding, Compassion ect.) Shuffle and place your cards with the word sides down in a pile. Close your eyes and pick one using your other hand. Read the card and ponder about it during your day. Do not look up the word and categorize and quantify the word-concept that you choose... just ponder it--- like taking in a scene.

Take note of any sychronisity that may occur in your daily life. Synchonisty is integral to Intuition.

Another way is to do everything for a day (I recommend do this when not at work or out and about) while walking backwards with your eyes facing forward. Slowly. Flying blind hones the other senses especially the intuition. Intuition is simply a sense that we all have. Using the sense hones the sense.

Some of the greatest intuitive responders to life are scientists. It is simply a process of learning to drive that rig of yours: the intuition.

fairyfarmgirl
Thanks for the suggestions eveyrone, Ill give them all a try.
I think Namaste has given us some great insight. (thank you Namaste!)

For my part, I am also more left-brain oriented by nature. My wife is much more emotional-intuitive, and our pairing has been good for those reasons. We'll often see things quite differently which makes for good catalyst work (arguments, lol). But also allows me to see things more right brained and vica-versa.

The whole right brain left brain concept is something I try to keep in mind often (ha!). I believe that using both in a balanced way provides for the most enriching life experience. We do have, afterall, these parts of our mind, so why not use them?

As an aside, the story of Jill Bolte Taylor comes to mind. Do a google for her and look up her speech at the TED conference- it's really interesting.

L&L, E
(12-24-2010, 02:04 PM)Eric Wrote: [ -> ]I think Namaste has given us some great insight. (thank you Namaste!)

For my part, I am also more left-brain oriented by nature. My wife is much more emotional-intuitive, and our pairing has been good for those reasons. We'll often see things quite differently which makes for good catalyst work (arguments, lol). But also allows me to see things more right brained and vica-versa.

The whole right brain left brain concept is something I try to keep in mind often (ha!). I believe that using both in a balanced way provides for the most enriching life experience. We do have, afterall, these parts of our mind, so why not use them?

As an aside, the story of Jill Bolte Taylor comes to mind. Do a google for her and look up her speech at the TED conference- it's really interesting.

L&L, E

You're welcome brother. Thats an excellent talk, highly recommended.

Balancing the hemispheres, and hence the physical mind and the higher mind, is essential. A most important point. Many think the physical mind/ego must be destroyed entirely, whereas is much more useful to utilise it as a tool.

A great analogy I heard for this (can't remember the source), was "Who is in the driving seat? You, or your rational mind?"
During my response to Austin's re-view of the Ra sessions today, I recalled a book by James Redfield and tried a you tube search to see if there were any interviews of him. I found one where he shares his intuitive syncronicities, his take on service and the law of attraction/karma (I am assuming an interchange between attraction and karma here).

(12-19-2010, 06:32 PM)Namaste Wrote: [ -> ]Your intuition is equal to that of any other person. You need only practice listening to it.

The energies that are flooding the planet right now are of the divine feminine; opening of the heart (intuitive). To do so is simple; feel instead of think.

If you're faced with a decision, quiet the calculating mind (which attempts to work out the optimal outcome for you, something the physical mind is not capable of), and go with the heart; how you feel. Intuition comes from the Higher Self. It's your personal guidance system. Over time, open yourself to it, and the trust will develop and deepen. Positive synchronicities will start to occur more frequently, guiding you further.

One can practice this easily, with anything. Ask yourself simple questions: "an apple or an orange?". Questions such as these are perfect, as they do not necessarily engage the rational mind (as much, if at all). Other examples: "shall I read book X, or book Y?", "shall I start yoga or tai chi?", "does bob have my best interests at heart?", and so on.

A great tip; if you "think you should", or "better have" do something - that's the rational mind. It often makes you do things you actually do not want to do.

Regarding conversation; culture has imposed the notion that one has to be able to talk continuously in social situations. If you take a step back and listen to others, most are of a negative nature, especially when alcohol is involved. Quiet is a wonderful thing, as is a brief shared conversation between people who resonate with each other.

Choose who you spend time with.

When I feel fear, my mind tells me I think I should do it and I must do it because it must be a lesson. I don't really want to do it though. Yet it seems when I don't listen to my mind it spirals my health. And then I get lost and make excuses for not listening to my mind. My body kind of just shuts down and my mind starts over thinking.
Men and women both have intuition because the intuition is a function of the higher mind. I was just reading about the Intuitive Mind yesterday, so I’ll quote:

Quote:The Intuitive Mind is presented as “not-self,” for two reasons. In the first place, it is no part of the conscious intelligence, and therefore it makes its appearance to the conscious mind as an alien being. Secondly, it is linked to the Supernal levels of Mind: the psyche not being sealed within the physical nature of the individual, as many imagine, but extending beyond that nature and in particular reaching upward through the “fine point of the spirit” to contact with Kether itself [contact with intelligent Infinity, I think], besides of course the other two Supernal Sephiroth. This region of the Mind which is superior to, and outside, the conscious intelligence, we term the Intuitive Mind. It always exists, even in the psyche of persons of the most limited awareness, although in such cases it is naturally quite out of communication with the conscious mind; it can however in grave emergency sometimes communicate, even in those circumstances, through the media of the sympathetic nervous system or the instinctual subconscious. Such promptings are, in fact, what in popular language is called “intuition,” although the true function of the Intuitive Mind which is our subject is a far other and grander thing. To define this, we must briefly consider the modes of knowledge.

The Sword and the Serpent, Melita Denning & Osborne Phillips

So, the development of the intuition is hand in hand with the clearance of lower chakra blockages. This “Intuitive Mind” cannot make its appearance as long as the Intellect reigns as Master in the psyche. It will block the “KNOWING” of the Higher Self, which is basically the Intuitive Mind, direct knowing or spiritual truth.

Meditation is indeed a good practice! The mind will become more open, that is, “to receive.”