Bring4th

Full Version: STO-Enabling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need some feed back. What is the difference or the line between helping others out and enabling there behaviors. I seem to jump when anyone needs help no matter what. But have been noticing patterns of behavior that keep repeating themselves.

Question: Should one help someone else if the person is capable of doing it themselves?

Brittany

I like the expression "The Lord helps those who help themselves." If you allow someone to be completely co-dependent, you're actually slowing their growth. Sometimes the help a person needs differs from what they want. Sometimes the greatest service you can offer a person is to grab them by the shoulders and tell them to get ahold of themselves, they're being silly. Words of wisdom count just as much as physically doing things for someone. And yes, sometimes, I believe that by letting someone do something on their own, you are serving them, because there is an important lesson to be learned for them. However, responding in love no matter what the response seems the most important factor to me. There is never a situation that would require you to be cold or hateful or disinterested in the plight of your brother. You can always love.

Of course, this is just my opinion. If it doesn't resonate with you, please leave it.
Quote: Sometimes the greatest service you can offer a person is to grab them by the shoulders and tell them to get ahold of themselves, they're being silly. Words of wisdom count just as much as physically doing things for someone. And yes, sometimes, I believe that by letting someone do something on their own, you are serving them, because there is an important lesson to be learned for them.

Yeah, finding that balance is hard. Seems the more I do the less they think they have to do. IE- I have a brother-Professional Musician- who wants to do nothing but play music.He wants to learn nothing else.I have given him advice and help for a number of years and the more I do the less he wants to do. The other day his car broke down. I saw myself getting angry because he had not taken my advice in the past in regards to his car. Now it sat there dead. I still have not been able to balance when I am in service and when I am just enable dysfunctional behavior.
Procrastination is in my opinion often not so much laziness as it is a way to avoid failure. Your brothers car broke down and that sucked for him, but he knew it was coming and apparently felt it was better to have it break down without his trying to intervene than it was to break down after he had tried to avoid it breaking down. He didn't fail this way, only the car did. If your bother was very car savvy he would not have let it come to that point because he'd have the feeling of being in charge meaning that his investment of time and energy actually caused something.

Every time you jump in and solve his problems you're not changing that situation you will only reinforce his feeling of helplessness in the area where he calls for his big brother reinforcing his calling for you.

I'd suggest next time go there to assist, but instead of doing what needs to be done to fix it. Put the screwdriver in his hand. Lean back against a wall and tell him how to do it. Give praise for everything done right (or wrong) and make it light and fun, no judgment just unconditional positive regard and pragmatic advice. Then when it's done, refer to the situation as if HE fixed his problem. Which is true.

This has the benefit of you not feeling used. The benefit of him actually learning pragmatically how to solve a specific problem. The benefit of him learning emotionally that he is capable of doing this. He will not feel inferior to you but able to be equal. His success, the praise and the light hearted fun will make the experience become impressed upon him as a good thing.

The result will be that maybe next time(or the time after that) he has both the skills and the feeling of being able, and the memory that success equals pleasure.

I hope this helps.
Quote:I hope this helps.

Yes, it does -Thanks
Oh gosh, I have lots of experience with that!

Here is what I have learned:

It has nothing to do with whether they are capable of doing it themselves or not. We all could use some loving kindness even if we CAN do it ourselves! If a person asks for help, then I help them if I can. I don't think it's right to judge whether they really 'need' my help or not. If they are asking, then there is some reason they are feeling overwhelmed in some way.

So for me, the determining factor isn't whether they can do it themselves or not, but whether there is a pattern of the same problem repeating.

If the problem keeps repeating, then they are hanging on to it for some reason, and my continuing to help them is just throwing time and energy down a black hole.

Where I cut off the help is when the pattern keeps repeating. That's when it becomes enabling, rather than just doing a good deed.

To be more accurate, what I 'cut off' is the instant jumping to help them in the way I was doing before. I will still try to help, but in a different way. Instead of solving the problem for them, my 'help' is more a gentle reminder that they're repeating the pattern. Or, my 'help' might be to change the subject, after reminding them that we've already discussed this countless times and I'm really not interested in repeating myself, since it doesn't do any good anyway. This might seem cold, so it's tricky to do it with love. But sometimes firmness is appropriate, rather than continuing to feed their dysfunction.

Examples:

A friend calls me, upset with some problem. I listen. I try to offer suggestions. The problem seems fixable to me, even though the solutions seem elusive to her, so I try to be a good friend and help her get enough clarity to at least recognize possible solutions, so that she can choose which solution might be the most appropriate for her situation.

But, the next week she's back with the same complaints. That's ok. We don't change habits overnight. I understand. How many times have I been guilty of that too? I'm not going to withdraw compassion just because she didn't grasp the simplicity of the solution instantly like I might have in that particular situation. We all have different problems and blind spots. What seems simple to me might be daunting to her.

So, once again I help her thru it. I let her vent and rant for a bit. Key word here being for a bit. That's ok. That's even healthy. The frustration needs to be discharged, so I give her a shoulder to cry on. Once again, I gently remind her of possible solutions, and that she doesn't have to stay stuck in that problem, but DOES have the power to move away from it.

So far so good. We might even go thru this process a few more times. The key here is whether she seems open to implementing a solution, and is making any progress towards changing her situation, baby steps though they may be.

Where it become enabling is when all she's doing is making excuses as to why she can't find a solution. Valid objections are fine. I understand that I don't know the full intricacies of her situation and some of my suggestions might not work for myriad reasons. So valid objections and explanations are ok.

BUT, if all she's doing is objecting to everything I say, if she cannot make ANY of the solutions work, but just seems to be intent on explaining why her problem is unsolvable, then that is a sure sign that she isn't ready to let go of the problem.

At that point, my continuing to sympathize with her plight is no longer compassionate but has become enabling. Rather than helping her, I am now continuing to feed her blockages, by spending a lot of time listening to her complain. It becomes an energy drain, a black hole. Nothing beneficial comes from it. I'm not helping her but hindering her.

This doesn't mean that the friend must implement MY suggestions for solutions. Maybe none of my suggestions are feasible. But at the very least, my suggestions might trigger some new ideas. The key is whether the person seems truly interested in finding a solution, or do they just want to wallow in self-pity. I realize this is very subjective and could easily slide down that slippery slope into judgment. So we have to be careful and keep our hearts open and our intentions loving, so that we will have the necessary discernment and wisdom to make a good decision about where to draw the line.

Here's an example from my own life:

I have a very dear friend whom I love very much. I think the world of her! But her life is very chaotic. She seems to thrive on chaos. She has a great attitude towards life and meets challenges head on. I admire this trait tremendously in her.

But, I have learned not to let myself slide into her state of chaos. That's not how *I* want to live *my* life so I have to draw a line somewhere.

She lives less than 10 minutes away from me. I have a water machine that makes healing water that has benefited her tremendously. She has come over to my house to get 5-gallon jugs of water when she was very sick, and got better immediately. The machine is pricey and she doesn't have much $$, so I have repeatedly told her that she can just get it for free, forever. She doesn't ever have to buy her own machine, as long as she has such easy access to mine. Since she lives so close, and has a car, there is no reason she can't just pop over to my house once or twice a week, fill up some jugs, and enjoy the healthy benefits of the water.

But does she do that? No. She'll do it every now and then, but most of the time she just always has something more important to do. Keep in mind that her kids are grown and she lives alone, though she does help her daughter alot with the grandbabies.

Also keep in mind that there's nothing in it for me, since I know she will never buy a machine, so there is absolutely zero financial incentive for me to keep her drinking the water. Nor do I pressure her in any way. She already knows how much it has helped her. It has kept her out of the hospital several times. So I don't have to convince her of that. I never call her and nag her to drink the water. It really doesn't matter to me whether she drinks it or not, other than my caring for her as a friend. She is the one who calls me and asks for it! So of course I always tell her, of course, sure, come on over, you can have as much as you want, anytime!

The problem is, that she doesn't come over to get it, and then calls me later complaining that she's sick. I mean, sick with stuff that's easily preventable...conditions that she KNOWS the water can help with, because it has already helped her countless times!

So here we have a situation in which she has an easy solution right in front of her nose. Furthermore, it has already been proven to work for her. There is absolutely no valid objection to utilizing this solution, whatsoever. She is capable of driving a few miles down the road. No matter how busy she is, she has 15 minutes twice a week, and it's free. Oh yeah, did I mention it's FREE?

So, clearly she has some reason to stay sick. Maybe it's providing some needed catalyst for her. Who am I to judge her for that?

I have done my part. I have offered it. It was shown to help her, and now she has made the choice that she doesn't have the time to come get it.

She calls me about every week or 2 to tell me how much the water has helped her, and that she is 'definitely' going to get it regularly. She thanks me for it. She knows I don't mind at all giving it to her. She is the one who initiates the conversation about the water, every time. I almost never bring it up. SHE is the one who keeps saying she wants it. But does she come get it? No.

Obviously, if she had no wheels or was otherwise incapable of getting it, I'd take it to her. Or if she usually came over to get it, but occasionally couldn't, then I'd take it to her. But her pattern is to complain, while making grand plans, and never following thru on those plans. Her pattern is to have chaos in her life that prevents her from implementing simple solutions. I can't do anything about that pattern. It doesn't matter what the situation is - chaos always reigns for her.

This isn't judgment towards her. I love her dearly despite her cloud of chaos that follows her wherever she goes! I just don't want to stand under her cloud and get rained on. It's her cloud, not mine.

This same friend always has financial problems too. My husband and I have loaned her $$ several times, and we know that when we do, we'll never see it again. So we don't give her $$ unless we are totally ok with never getting it back, because to expect repayment when we know she'll never pay us back would be setting ourselves up for disappointment and resentment. This friend doesn't pay back $$. Period. She just doesn't. She does, however, often repay it in other ways. She would do anything to help me and has done so in the past. She is a devoted friend, and I treasure her friendship and sisterhood so much that I would never let something as mundane as $$ get in the way of that!

Nevertheless, she doesn't pay back borrowed $$. After nearly 30 years of friendship, I know this to be true and must simply accept it as fact, if I am to be friends with her. It's not because she doesn't care. She has good intentions. No, it's just that her life is so chaotic she actually forgets that she even owes $$! And when she does remember, she tries to offer something else, like plants, or handmade jewelry, or something that has value not measurable by mere money. So I accept and appreciate that this is how she is and actually part of her specialness.

But that doesn't mean that I will continue to bail her out every time she gets into a financial bind! Especially when she somehow gets the $$ together to get a tattoo or something like that, that I would consider a luxury. I don't feel that I must support her choices, to the point of sacrificing a luxury myself, so that she can afford her luxury. She doesn't have much in the way of luxury. She lives very simply. The tattoo is probably the only luxurious thing she has. Who am I to deny her that pleasure? But that doesn't mean I have to pay for it!

This might again sound judgmental, and maybe it is. But I feel I must draw a line somewhere with this friend, because of her pattern of chaos.

I don't think we have the right to judge the decisions made by others. But, we do have the right to not participate when they repeatedly make decisions that concern us, by repeatedly asking for $$ or some other kind of help, that is just perpetuating the pattern.
Thanks for your story Monica. Its a fine line -I live with my brother -could you live with your friend and see the behavior everyday? Its tough.
(12-22-2010, 04:29 PM)Focus123 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your story Monica. Its a fine line -I live with my brother -could you live with your friend and see the behavior everyday? Its tough.

Oh yikes! That changes everything. In that case, I'd say you have even more of a right to make a stand, since his actions affect you more directly.
This concept of finding the balance between what we understand, and acting on the highest level in this density is something I think about all the time. Putting into place the lessons learned in 4d/5d/6d and having every decision in 3d be the most absolute correct approach can very hard..not all the time, but it can get confusing. In fact, that is the work of 6d..balancing compassion and wisdom..loving other-selves while nurturing the self.

I think it is our duty to be opinionated at times..that is, to offer wisdom. The most helpful advice to remember, is to always know and understand that you accept and love the person no matter what. If whatever you do you think is appropriate and out of love, you are not doing a disservice.
Hi Icaro,

Welcome to the forum!

And Merry Christmas, if you celebrate that sort of thing. You may find the story of my personal awakening here in Confessions of a Thirty Year Old Fringe Dweller. I wrote it around Christmastime 2007. By the way, what do you think of Santa Claus? I am not his biggest fan, I will admit.

(12-23-2010, 01:03 PM)Icaro Wrote: [ -> ]This concept of finding the balance between what we understand, and acting on the highest level in this density is something I think about all the time. Putting into place the lessons learned in 4d/5d/6d and having every decision in 3d be the most absolute correct approach can very hard..not all the time, but it can get confusing. In fact, that is the work of 6d..balancing compassion and wisdom..loving other-selves while nurturing the self.

I think about this a lot as well. I think that somewhere along the way I must have become overly distorted toward wisdom, and so returned here to 3D to recapitulate some lessons of compassion.

Quote:I think it is our duty to be opinionated at times..that is, to offer wisdom. The most helpful advice to remember, is to always know and understand that you accept and love the person no matter what. If whatever you do you think is appropriate and out of love, you are not doing a disservice.

Agreed. I can get very opinionated and I know that sometimes it can come off as perhaps arrogant or full of myself. I wonder though, about what happens in abusive situations. I can think of a lot of people who say or do harmful things to their "loved" ones all the time, and seem to believe that it is an appropriate expression of love. Or others who are enablers of alcoholics, drug addicts, and those with eating disorders.

I think sometimes what is perceived to be an act of love can actually be a disservice to the loved one. For example, right now I am watching Buffalo '66 and Christina Ricci's character allows herself to be abused by her boyfriend because she believes that she is the only one that truly loves him.

What do you think?