Bring4th

Full Version: Where is orion exactly placed ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/images/19...-Annotated-

this is hurt's starmap, the most acknowledged starmap of the milky way galaxy.

this star, sun, is placed on the orion spur, which is some galactic structure that bridges 2 major arms. however, i was not able to pinpoint locations of the sun, and orion according to each other.

does anyone know where is exactly orion placed ?
You might do a search for one of the well known stars of Orion, Betelgeuse.

If you have Google Earth, you might unzip the .kmz file I have attached and run it. It will open G-Earth and take you the star.
i dont have google earth tho. however, will it allow me to pinpoint locations of sol and oron at the starmap of milky way.
(01-08-2011, 12:34 PM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]i dont have google earth tho. however, will it allow me to pinpoint locations of sol and oron at the starmap of milky way.

With the exception of one blocked area, the known universe is mapped, and as such, the answer to your question is yes.

There is also another program called Stellarium you may want to look at.
well, the thing is, i dont have any experience of messing with star maps, astronomy programs, this and that. all i need, is earth and orion marked on a top-down looking map/sketch/schema of the milky way galaxy. i dont even know where would i start to do that, leave aside doing that.
but where is orion, the system ?
(01-09-2011, 08:14 AM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]but where is orion, the system ?
What information are you looking for? To find one of its stars using a telescope?

There are 7 main stars in that system. But many minor stars are there also, as it spans hundreds of light years.
GJ 3379 is considered within the constellation, and at 17.5 ly is the closest:
Epoch J2000.0
Equinox J2000.0
Right ascension 06h 00m 3.495s
Declination +02° 42′ 23.67″

If the RST is correct, most of the main stars are very old (blue).
(01-08-2011, 02:11 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2011, 12:34 PM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]i dont have google earth tho. however, will it allow me to pinpoint locations of sol and oron at the starmap of milky way.

With the exception of one blocked area, the known universe is mapped, and as such, the answer to your question is yes.

There is also another program called Stellarium you may want to look at.

What a fantastic application! Thanks.

Orion is a specific arm of the Milky Way galaxy, containing many systems including our own. Unless we have more specific information as to where in particular you seek, this is a near impossible task.
(01-09-2011, 06:47 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]

Orion is a specific arm of the Milky Way galaxy, containing many systems including our own. Unless we have more specific information as to where in particular you seek, this is a near impossible task.

it was this :

(01-09-2011, 11:39 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]
What information are you looking for? To find one of its stars using a telescope?

There are 7 main stars in that system. But many minor stars are there also, as it spans hundreds of light years.
GJ 3379 is considered within the constellation, and at 17.5 ly is the closest:
Epoch J2000.0
Equinox J2000.0
Right ascension 06h 00m 3.495s
Declination +02° 42′ 23.67″

If the RST is correct, most of the main stars are very old (blue).

basically the 3 major stars with which we identify orion with, and which map to pyramids in giza.

i need to see their location, and sun's location, marked in a top-down milky way map.
Taking the entire milky way as the context, the is sun very close to Alnitak (~800lr) - the closest star in Orion's belt. We're on the same spiral arm (Orion Spur). From the sun, Orion's belt is towards the Orion nebula (~1300 ly) (the belt appears either above or below the nebula, depending on viewpoint from northern or southern hemisphere). Here are the exact relative positions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion%E2%80%93Cygnus_Arm
(01-10-2011, 08:00 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Taking the entire milky way as the context, the is sun very close to Alnitak (~800lr) - the closest star in Orion's belt. We're on the same spiral arm (Orion Spur). From the sun, Orion's belt is towards the Orion nebula (~1300 ly) (the belt appears either above or below the nebula, depending on viewpoint from northern or southern hemisphere). Here are the exact relative positions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion%E2%80%93Cygnus_Arm

thank you.

so, we are basically packed/placed in this orion concentration. whatever happening in our little locale, is probably indigenous to our locale. as Ra tells us that the nearby logoi tend to choose similar formats. even deneb, is right under our nose, in galactic distance scales.