Bring4th

Full Version: To Infinity and beyond - documentary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello friends,

I just finished watching an amazing documentary which focuses on the concept of infinity in mathematics and cosmology, put on by BBC's Horizon. It's very well done and actually brought me some surprising clarity on some Law of One concepts, such as Don's line of inquiry about daydreams manifesting reality elsewhere. Please take a look and post your thoughts here.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/to-infinity-and-beyond/

L&L, Eric
(02-24-2011, 11:33 AM)Eric Wrote: [ -> ]Hello friends,

I just finished watching an amazing documentary which focuses on the concept of infinity in mathematics and cosmology, put on by BBC's Horizon. It's very well done and actually brought me some surprising clarity on some Law of One concepts, such as Don's line of inquiry about daydreams manifesting reality elsewhere. Please take a look and post your thoughts here.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/to-infinity-and-beyond/

L&L, Eric

Watching right now thank you!
Thanks, Eric.
Oh wow, wow. Thanks, Eric. My mind is swirling with infinite ideas now, but I will attempt articulation of a few:

Since you mentioned the daydreams, I'll respond to that first. All of my life, I have been sensitive to scenes of violence, gore, terror, etc., in movies and stories. And what do people always say? "It's just a movie." That explanation never sat well with me, because I felt changed by what I had seen or read. Also, I always wondered about the author/creator of such, and the actors, the participants. If thoughts carry energy, and thought forms can manifest in this world, how do you know you haven't created something in another world, expecially considering the focus required to write a book, make a movie, etc.? On the flip side, many authors claim to receive inspiration...the concept of infinite universes discussed in the documentary presents the possibility that these stories are actual events/daydreams from another universe, occurring here.

One professor dismissed the idea of infinity, asserting that at some number the addition of one would result in zero. I cannot find it, but I believe somewhere Ra mentions studying the concept of zero. But I did find this:
Quote:This point only becomes important when you consider that when all of creation in its infinity has reached a spiritual gravitational mass of sufficient nature, the entire creation infinitely coalesces; the light seeking and finding its source and thusly ending the creation and beginning a new creation much as you consider the black hole, as you call it, with its conditions of infinitely great mass at the zero point from which no light may be seen as it has been absorbed. (LOO 29.18)
Also, in the very first session:
Quote:Ra: I am Ra. Consider, if you will, that the universe is infinite. This has yet to be proven or disproven, but we can assure you that there is no end to your selves, your understanding, what you would call your journey of seeking, or your perceptions of the creation.

That which is infinite cannot be many, for many-ness is a finite concept. To have infinity you must identify or define that infinity as unity; otherwise, the term does not have any referent or meaning. In an Infinite Creator there is only unity. You have seen simple examples of unity. You have seen the prism which shows all colors stemming from the sunlight. This is a simplistic example of unity. (LOO 1.5)

I'm wondering, does this lead you to think that infininity = zero or infinity = one?

Quote:When your peoples grasp infinity, then and only then, can the gateway be opened to the Law of One. (LOO 7.12)

Even though I cannot fully grasp such concepts and may not ever do so in this incarnation, the contemplation of them certainly has lifted my vibration today. Feeling a little "lighter".

Thanks again, Eric, for initiating the topic.
(02-25-2011, 03:33 PM)otherself-jesse Wrote: [ -> ]Since you mentioned the daydreams, I'll respond to that first. All of my life, I have been sensitive to scenes of violence, gore, terror, etc., in movies and stories. And what do people always say? "It's just a movie." That explanation never sat well with me, because I felt changed by what I had seen or read. Also, I always wondered about the author/creator of such, and the actors, the participants. If thoughts carry energy, and thought forms can manifest in this world, how do you know you haven't created something in another world, expecially considering the focus required to write a book, make a movie, etc.? On the flip side, many authors claim to receive inspiration...the concept of infinite universes discussed in the documentary presents the possibility that these stories are actual events/daydreams from another universe, occurring here.

Yup! The interesting thing is that if the universe truly is infinite, or that there is an infinite number of universes- by definition everything must exist, including daydreams, sci-fi novels, movies and everything else. There must also exist forms of reality that we couldn't possibly comprehend, where up is down, inside is outside and so forth. Because as bizarre as that is, it wouldn't be an infinite creation without it.

On the subject of movies- I am with you. I saw 'The Green Mile' with my friends in high school and was horrified. I've always been pretty sensitive about graphic violence though. I can handle it better, interestingly, when it's not as realistic such as in the film '300'.

(02-25-2011, 03:33 PM)otherself-jesse Wrote: [ -> ]One professor dismissed the idea of infinity, asserting that at some number the addition of one would result in zero.

I found this part of the documentary hilarious, did anyone else? It just goes to show the degree to which people are willing to defend pre-existing beliefs. In this case the professor was unwilling to accept Infinity and thus had to accept what I would basically call nonsense in his idea of there being a highest number... to which adding 1 to would equal zero. Maybe I'm just not smart enough... but that sounds silly to me! Smile

(02-25-2011, 03:33 PM)otherself-jesse Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot find it, but I believe somewhere Ra mentions studying the concept of zero. But I did find this:
Quote:This point only becomes important when you consider that when all of creation in its infinity has reached a spiritual gravitational mass of sufficient nature, the entire creation infinitely coalesces; the light seeking and finding its source and thusly ending the creation and beginning a new creation much as you consider the black hole, as you call it, with its conditions of infinitely great mass at the zero point from which no light may be seen as it has been absorbed. (LOO 29.18)

This is a tremendously interesting quote. At a glance it seems to support an idea proposed by Stephen Hawking in the seventies known as "the Big Crunch". The idea is that the universe will eventually stop expanding, come to a short stand-still and then begin moving backwards with gravitational pull in to what essentially becomes a reverse big-bang, then resulting in another big bang. That reads exactly in line with this quote. What is further interesting is that this idea has been largely abandoned in physics due to the discovery that the universe is not just expanding, but accelerating it's expansion via an unknown repulsive force they call 'dark energy'. With this model the universe will simply expand forever. But! In the long run view (see the Scientific American magazine article entitled 'The End' from a few months ago) the universe essentially becomes absorbed in to the multitudes of black holes. Ra has described black holes as that point where spirit re-connects to the One Infinite Creator... Eventually according to current theory, black holes themselves eventually evaporate via Hawking radiation when there is no more matter to consume. Roger Penrose, another famous physicist has proposed a theory whereby at this point, the exact same environment as existed just prior to the big bang would occur, and then, another big bang. So with these ideas in mind we can see that Ra's statement is at least congruent with existing theory. I should probably start a new thread for this.

At any rate, I'm not sure why Ra says 'the zero point', but what I can read here is that they are basically talking about the event horizon of black holes. It's more or less an invisible threshold after which is crossed, nothing can escape the gravitational pull, including visible and invisible light. That's why we call them black.

(02-25-2011, 03:33 PM)otherself-jesse Wrote: [ -> ]Also, in the very first session:
Quote:Ra: I am Ra. Consider, if you will, that the universe is infinite. This has yet to be proven or disproven, but we can assure you that there is no end to your selves, your understanding, what you would call your journey of seeking, or your perceptions of the creation.

That which is infinite cannot be many, for many-ness is a finite concept. To have infinity you must identify or define that infinity as unity; otherwise, the term does not have any referent or meaning. In an Infinite Creator there is only unity. You have seen simple examples of unity. You have seen the prism which shows all colors stemming from the sunlight. This is a simplistic example of unity. (LOO 1.5)

I'm wondering, does this lead you to think that infininity = zero or infinity = one?

Well, Ra would say one. That makes sense given all the information about unity. Also we can say that things exist, so it can't equal zero. And it can't equal 2 or anything higher because that implies that infinity is not infinity but finity. At a glance it seems that one is also finite, untill you think about infinity sets (recall the hotel room segment). In that case:

We know for sure that ∞ + ∞ = ∞, and ∞ x ∞ = ∞. But how about division? ∞/∞ = 1. I'd like to hear from others on this as I'm not strong with math.

(02-25-2011, 03:33 PM)otherself-jesse Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:When your peoples grasp infinity, then and only then, can the gateway be opened to the Law of One. (LOO 7.12)

Even though I cannot fully grasp such concepts and may not ever do so in this incarnation, the contemplation of them certainly has lifted my vibration today. Feeling a little "lighter".
[/quote]

It's a great quote. Smile For what it's worth, I think Ra is echoing what they stated elsewhere, that to become harvestable it's absolutely essential that the entity realize that it does not know. (sorry professor... RollEyes)This is sort of saying the same thing- that you must accept that we exist in a world of paradox. Nobody really understands how infinity could exist- we're not evolutionarily wired to understand it nor does anything we do in our lives come anywhere near it. It's the great mystery, it's the great unknown, Infinite creator. I sure as heck don't know. Tongue
Quote:The interesting thing is that if the universe truly is infinite, or that there is an infinite number of universes- by definition everything must exist

This is not true. The universe could be infinite and still not include every possibility. I made this point in one of Unity's threads but he said that's "just mathematics". Which it is, but mathematics is important. It is incorrect to say that infinity implies everything. There are an infinity of irrational numbers between 0 and 1, but there are many others not included in this range, such as the square root of two!
(02-25-2011, 09:03 PM)Etude in B Minor Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The interesting thing is that if the universe truly is infinite, or that there is an infinite number of universes- by definition everything must exist

This is not true. The universe could be infinite and still not include every possibility. I made this point in one of Unity's threads but he said that's "just mathematics". Which it is, but mathematics is important. It is incorrect to say that infinity implies everything. There are an infinity of irrational numbers between 0 and 1, but there are many others not included in this range, such as the square root of two!

That is something to cogitate upon. Do you have anything more to offer from your understanding of Mathematics, regarding the nature of infinity? It would be enlightening if I can get to know something from you. Thanks, love and light.
Here is a nice accessible introduction to infinity:
http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/minitext/infinity/

It says "The trouble here is in thinking that an infinite set must contain everything. However, a little thought shows that this needn't be true."

Of relevance to the discussion here is Cantor's theorem, which essentially says that for any infinite set one can always find a set that is bigger. Sort of like no matter how good you are at playing tennis, there is always someone better (unless you are Roger Federer). So, even if you proposed that the universe contained everything, I could always find something that it didn't contain! (this statement, while paradoxical, is nonetheless mathematically sound).
(02-26-2011, 11:54 AM)Etude in B Minor Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a nice accessible introduction to infinity:
http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/minitext/infinity/

It says "The trouble here is in thinking that an infinite set must contain everything. However, a little thought shows that this needn't be true."

Of relevance to the discussion here is Cantor's theorem, which essentially says that for any infinite set one can always find a set that is bigger. Sort of like no matter how good you are at playing tennis, there is always someone better (unless you are Roger Federer). So, even if you proposed that the universe contained everything, I could always find something that it didn't contain! (this statement, while paradoxical, is nonetheless mathematically sound).

Thanks for providing this material and information, dear friend. May the peace, love, and light of the ONE ever keep you.
Anyone else find it cheeky that the longest match on the monkey/typewriter
simulation was "we lover"?
(02-25-2011, 09:03 PM)Etude in B Minor Wrote: [ -> ]

Good catch Etude! Although it is "just" mathematics, I find it highly relevant. I think that mathematics is an abstract way at grasping fundamental truths... Because if math is "true" and it exists in our reality, it must be highly relevant to that reality. Math is the sort of thing that would be true if intelligent life never evolved in the universe. It's a fundamental building block of reality. Therefore we simply can't dismiss it as such.

I actually really enjoy this new line of thought... simply for the (I admit, somewhat selfish) purpose that I may continue to think that some of the horrors that exist in story form may never manifest physically in reality somewhere. Angel

L&L, E