Bring4th

Full Version: Someone who knows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I live in the north and have never traveled to the southern hemisphere. Can anyone help me with this question:

If I face north, being in Sweden, the sun is traveling behind my back, in the south. But if I face the same direction, towards north, being in southern hemisphere, like Australia, does sun traveling in front of me then, that is in the north direction, or behind me, in the south? That sounded too complicated maybe, I'll give an example:

If I stand at the beach looking at the ocean located in north - does the sun travel in front of me or behind me if I am in the southern hemisphere? Someone who knows it?
If you're thinking of the "sun" "travelling" "in a line" along the equator then yes, facing north in the northern hemisphere would 'situate' the sun "behind" you.. facing north in the southern hemisphere the sun could be said to be ahead of you...

Did curiostiy get you? Btw, i do live in the southern hemisphere... the experience seems to be the same.

Maybe i didnt get what you meant?
I dont think there's a similar difference as with coriolis force.
(03-13-2011, 07:27 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]If you're thinking of the "sun" "travelling" "in a line" along the equator then yes, facing north in the northern hemisphere would 'situate' the sun "behind" you.. facing north in the southern hemisphere the sun could be said to be ahead of you...

What I don't know (or understand) is if the quator is a line that just splits the Earth into two hemispheres or if it's the line where "sun traveling" so to speak. Because if that's the line that just simply splits the Earth into two hemispheres, the sun can still travel somewhere even more south of the equator, thus facing the north in the southern hemisphere can still mean that the sun is traveling behind your back.

(03-13-2011, 07:27 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]Did curiostiy get you?

I am editing a book I wrote about another planet and I just can't get this "sun traveling" right. As I drawn maps, cities and the "Northern Ocean" and now paying attention to the details there is stuff that I need to get right.

(03-13-2011, 07:27 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, i do live in the southern hemisphere... the experience seems to be the same.

So when you are facing north you have the sun in front of you, right? (Please, please tell me that it is so)
(03-13-2011, 08:09 AM)Ankh Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2011, 07:27 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]If you're thinking of the "sun" "travelling" "in a line" along the equator then yes, facing north in the northern hemisphere would 'situate' the sun "behind" you.. facing north in the southern hemisphere the sun could be said to be ahead of you...

What I don't know (or understand) is if the quator is a line that just splits the Earth into two hemispheres or if it's the line where "sun traveling" so to speak. Because if that's the line that just simply splits the Earth into two hemispheres, the sun can still travel somewhere even more south of the equator, thus facing the north in the southern hemisphere can still mean that the sun is traveling behind your back.

(03-13-2011, 07:27 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]Did curiostiy get you?

I am editing a book I wrote about another planet and I just can't get this "sun traveling" right. As I drawn maps, cities and the "Northern Ocean" and now paying attention to the details there is stuff that I need to get right.

(03-13-2011, 07:27 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, i do live in the southern hemisphere... the experience seems to be the same.

So when you are facing north you have the sun in front of you, right? (Please, please tell me that it is so)

Yes.. it's in front of me, hehe.

I think so........ Wink
Good luck with the book!
(03-13-2011, 08:19 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.. it's in front of me, hehe.

\o/ WOOOHOOO

Finally! When I am rich and famous I'll mention your name! BigSmile (Joooking!)

(03-13-2011, 08:19 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck with the book!

Thank you, my brother! Heart
Lol... feeling the pressure now, i hope my experience is 'standard'.

This may help too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_path

Read the part about earth tilt.
(03-13-2011, 08:43 AM)Ens Entium Wrote: [ -> ]Lol... feeling the pressure now, i hope my experience is 'standard'.

This may help too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_path

Read the part about earth tilt.

Thank you, my brother! I really appreciate your help!

L/L