Bring4th

Full Version: Karmic responsibilities, and moral implications of bodily functions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have grasped the nature of some of the lessons I have come to this incarnation to learn.

I conjecture that in past lives I was working in some sort of monastic context. I think this because I am drawn very naturally to moral disciplines and activities such as meditation, and much more than these I am drawn to solitude and silence. I have a great attraction to the image of myself as a "holy man."

A fact related to all of these is that I have impossibly high standards of spiritual purity for myself and others. These standards lead me to be continually disgusted with myself and everybody I know, because nobody meets them. I have come to recognize that these standards, while well-meaning, are useless and a problem. What I really need to do is to accept myself and others as we are.

I will give an example. Every night I go out and buy something sweet to eat. Every night I criticize myself for doing this, but I do it anyway. When I rationally evaluate the pros/cons for this activity, here is what I see. The pro is that it is pleasurable. The con is that it costs money. I have enough money to support this habit. Health does not even enter into the equation, because I have a high enough metabolism that no amount of eating of any kind of food produces a noticeable effect on my body. Since rationally there is no reason not to do this, why do I criticize myself for doing it?

I have come to the conclusion that the only reason I don't want to do this is because it conflicts with the image which I would like to place on myself of being a "holy man." I think of my desire for sweet foods as a flaw in myself to be overcome. What I fail to understand is that the real aspect of this problem is very small and trivial, and the bulk of the problem is fabricated by my false ideals of spiritual purity. If I had my priorities straight I would do nothing to address this problem; there are much bigger problems that I need to spend my time addressing.

This means that while I do in fact have karma to work through with this habit, it is not the karma that I thought it was. It is not my honor/duty to learn not to want sweet things. It is my honor/duty to learn to accept myself as I am, and stop trying to superimpose fabricated moral implications on my bodily functions.

What things have you come to this incarnation to learn?

Brittany

I think you have disclosed some very valuable insight here. Self judgment is one of the quickest ways to block the flow of energy. It's something I've struggled with for years on end. I think it's wonderful you've been able to analyze these thought processes and put them to use so quickly. It inspires me to do the same. Smile
Very insightful!
i came to learn non intervention lol. and earth is my giant AA meeting.
to accept others as they are and trust that they will rise to their challenges on their own time.
in order to focus on the self, so that i may rise to my own challenges.

i always have a problem with spiritual people talking all high and mighty, like those who claim to be devoid of ego. or intellectual people who fail to see the love in the moment. and wanting to see the two come together. really was a mirror for me to make the two come together even more within myself.. by the two i mean love specifically.. and light.

3DMonkey

Sweet to the tongue, bitter in the stomach.

The true habit to overcome, as you have said, is the desire to experience the feeling of guilt. The unacceptance begins to take on a power of its own that is masked by the physical perception of a sweet tooth. The addiction is the self inflicted pain of guilt.

This can become a simple example of how welcoming and embracing the "negative entity" with openess and love will either flip it to positive or cause it to leave you. (yes, neg entities come in all shapes, sizes, and densities). Find the acceptance and love for that guilt. Shout from your soul the joy you have for the experience next time. Finding the love in a situation, makes any situation an expression of love Smile
Here is a humble interpretation of your karma description. You want to be a holy man, I will say, because you want others to see you as a good source of help and guidance. Perhaps, though, some pride wants you to wear a badge that says you are officially holy and pure.

Your own higher self might be the cause of your weakness for a treat because HS knows you cannot truly be perfect in this 3D life, so you'd better have a clear reminder that your feet have a clay component. In the great scheme, your having an element of being human will get you more respect than an apparent holy perfection, to say nothing of holding your ego in check.

As for my karma, well, I'm collecting a lot of experience with physical and mental health catalysts while trying to hone my awareness of the One in all things/entities. If you interpret this as boastful, you don't have a sufficient measure of the MFing catalysts. :-/
Quote:Here is a humble interpretation of your karma description. You want to be a holy man, I will say, because you want others to see you as a good source of help and guidance. Perhaps, though, some pride wants you to wear a badge that says you are officially holy and pure.

I think you are correct.

Quote:Your own higher self might be the cause of your weakness for a treat because HS knows you cannot truly be perfect in this 3D life, so you'd better have a clear reminder that your feet have a clay component. In the great scheme, your having an element of being human will get you more respect than an apparent holy perfection, to say nothing of holding your ego in check.

This sounds very plausible to me.

Quote:As for my karma, well, I'm collecting a lot of experience with physical and mental health catalysts while trying to hone my awareness of the One in all things/entities. If you interpret this as boastful, you don't have a sufficient measure of the MFing catalysts.

That sounds like you are undergoing a lot of intensive experiences. Would you care to elaborate?