Bring4th

Full Version: 2011.04.02 - Siddhartha Buddha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://llresearch.org/transcripts/issues..._0402.aspx

The paths of Buddha and Jesus compared and explained. Very insightful.
thanks turtle
christ and buddha have been the two primary spiritual influences upon me in this life.
the combination of both paths provides a powerful medium which one has in order to
transverse this planet without becoming attached to the games that are played here

norral
(04-20-2011, 01:06 PM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]thanks turtle
christ and buddha have been the two primary spiritual influences upon me in this life.
the combination of both paths provides a powerful medium which one has in order to
transverse this planet without becoming attached to the games that are played here

norral

I like Q'uo's suggestion to find the middle between their two paths, or to study whichever path you weren't raised with. I was raised Christian but always felt more affinity to Buddhism, I never looked into it too deeply but I like its philosophical approach because I feel more like I can do it no matter what. "Desire is the cause of suffering", I can try to alleviate my desires by meditating, but actively loving people is hard for me, especially since I isolate myself, I think it would be easier for me to discover that love within me with a calm mind then by trying to force it out.
Yogananda wrote a couple of beautiful books (called the Second Coming of Christ) describing the life of Jesus from the view of esoteric Hinduism (much of which applies to Buddhism). It is well worth reading.

Also, there is a book on the Edgar Cayce readings called "a Commentary on the Revelation" which echoes much of what Yogananda says (basically that the revelation, as is the Bhaghavad Gita, is all about the struggle of man to overcome the senses, with a lot of connection to the chakras etc).

Reading the Cayce commentary followed by the Yogananda books is recommended.
Quote: I can try to alleviate my desires
by meditating, but actively loving
people is hard for me, especially
since I isolate myself, I think it
would be easier for me to
discover that love within me with
a calm mind then by trying to
force it out.

This one gave me comfort in that, for the reason you've mentioned there in what i quoted.
I have the disposition towards finding the truth in the dissolution of the physical and the force and falseness it generates. Seeing things this way and working through things this way, mainly in the form of coming to a point of being able to see through the illusions and limitations the physical universe sets up, has helped me to be more accepting and gave greater bouyancy to my compassion.

It's added strength to my desire to create similar allowances for others in creating an environment just socially and specifically that helps them to see through and approach things in life similarly.
I wanted to mention those things for the reason that i seem to have found a 'place' more so in that approach than in the direct 'doing' of being loving and so on. And this piece really provided encouragement and extended to perspective along this line greatly.

On top of it, it points at a meeting point between the two approaches that really allows me to connect to the approach reflected by the life and actions of Jesus. A bridge... As always, Q'uo provides a map for experience, feeling and intuition that i deeply appreciate it. It's awesome.

I realise this is all personal, and not really strictly analysis or providing new info. But i felt sharing what i got from it would add in it's own way.

Thanks for the thread. I'm interested to see what else comes along here.
Just to add something quick here.

I thought Azrael's mention, in the 'if thine eye be single' thread, of releasing being an unblocking technique was quite pertinent to this thread as it was one of the central concepts that attachment brought suffering. Again, i think it's a good idea, that of releasing ourselves from what we've become attached to.

I think this description is especially profound when considered in the context of us being spiritual beings playing the game of live in a physical universe. We see the unhealthiness of attachment.

So i'd like to thank Azrael and ask that if you, Az, come across this, please could you expand upon this if you'd like to.
(04-20-2011, 10:24 PM)turtledude23 Wrote: [ -> ]"Desire is the cause of suffering", I can try to alleviate my desires by meditating, but actively loving people is hard for me, especially since I isolate myself, I think it would be easier for me to discover that love within me with a calm mind then by trying to force it out.

The desire which The Buddha spoke of was a state of consciousness, just as love is a state of consciousness. Perhaps consider that the distortion of what one may believes desire to be, most often the desire for material things or lust, is of lower vibration.

Come to an understanding of this image below and you will have found a map to the route of higher consciousness.

[Image: Map-of-Consciousness..png]

Also, for your viewing pleasure, here are The Buddha's four truths.

The Nature of Suffering (Dukkha):
"This is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering."

Suffering's Origin (Samudaya):
"This is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there, that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination."

Suffering's Cessation (Nirodha):
"This is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering: it is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, nonreliance on it."

The Way (Magga) Leading to the Cessation of Suffering:
"This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering: it is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration."

In humble service,
Wow I just had a look, thank you for posting. I never really looked into anything about Buddha before. What they say about him has made me realise that is the direction I've been taking, and that its perfectly ok. Before that I questioned myself because the way of Jesus, of loving and accepting those who would destroy us, is not my way. I've always chosen to retreat from the world instead and I wondered if that was selfish. Now I realise it isn't. So that was another light bulb moment Smile
(05-30-2011, 12:02 AM)Nyu Wrote: [ -> ]Wow I just had a look, thank you for posting. I never really looked into anything about Buddha before. What they say about him has made me realise that is the direction I've been taking, and that its perfectly ok. Before that I questioned myself because the way of Jesus, of loving and accepting those who would destroy us, is not my way. I've always chosen to retreat from the world instead and I wondered if that was selfish. Now I realise it isn't. So that was another light bulb moment Smile

I can relate, I'm sure many people can. Preferring exploring your inner realms is not selfish, its the inward equivalent of helping others in a visible way.
Thanks tdude for pointing to that session. It puts both sources in excellent perspective. I was raised in a Christian style and over time found much to challenge in it. Q'uo explained why a lot of JC's teachings got distorted, yet a careful investigation will find the core truth.

My exposure to Buddhism came late enough that I got past most of the distortions associated there, and more of them over time. So I resonate with the information from Q'uo.

Choose one of those paths or integrate them both and the student will do well.
(04-20-2011, 10:24 PM)turtledude23 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-20-2011, 01:06 PM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]thanks turtle

norral

I like Q'uo's suggestion to find the middle between their two paths, or to study whichever path you weren't raised with. I was raised Christian but always felt more affinity to Buddhism, I never looked into it too deeply but I like its philosophical approach because I feel more like I can do it no matter what. "Desire is the cause of suffering", I can try to alleviate my desires by meditating, but actively loving people is hard for me, especially since I isolate myself, I think it would be easier for me to discover that love within me with a calm mind then by trying to force it out.

"Desire is the cause of suffering"? Desire is a motivator! If the Creator did not desire to experience "experience" in the Material Universe, the Social Memory Complexes would not have been formed, the offspring of the Social Memory Complexes, the Spirits would not have been fragmented downward into matter, and the Spirits would not have fragmented into Souls who then fragmented downward into matter the Ego/Personalities (us) so that we could experience experience for our One Infinite Creator. We would not be here if the Creator lacked Desire!

What causes suffering is Value Judging other selves and Resistance to an unwanted reality. Reality is something that IS and cannot be changed at any given moment in time. Resistance to What Is is the root of suffering! And that includes Resisting Desire!
I am just about to now finish reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. A pretty small read but laden with wisdom for those on the path. A few months ago I could never have been able to see the things I can now see in it. One point of interest is the message that "seeking too much may stop you from finding". There's only so much learning you can do from outside sources. True learning comes from experience and inner reflection. I liked it Smile
I'm embarrassed to say that I see a little of that around here. Some discussions of minutiae in the LOO look too exhaustive to be helpful, IMHO. Blush
Yeah I've kind of stopped reading when I see arguments going round in circles. It misses the entire point and becomes no different from the arguments of "religion" - where people think their way is the right way and other thoughts are wrong. There is no wrong, everyone has a different understanding and a different course of action that works for them.
discussion leads to new ways of looking at it.
(06-23-2011, 05:36 PM)Nyu Wrote: [ -> ]I am just about to now finish reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. A pretty small read but laden with wisdom for those on the path.

Yes, that is a great book. Highly recommended! I also really like A Wrinkle in Time. Also some great suggestions here in Q'uo on Online Gaming .

(06-24-2011, 08:02 PM)Nyu Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I've kind of stopped reading when I see arguments going round in circles. It misses the entire point and becomes no different from the arguments of "religion" - where people think their way is the right way and other thoughts are wrong. There is no wrong, everyone has a different understanding and a different course of action that works for them.

I know. Isn't this self-evident by now?

(06-07-2011, 08:02 PM)vbaba Wrote: [ -> ]"Desire is the cause of suffering"? Desire is a motivator!

You have done a great job of summing up the paradox there. Very Zen Buddhist. BigSmile

(05-30-2011, 12:02 AM)Nyu Wrote: [ -> ]Wow I just had a look, thank you for posting. I never really looked into anything about Buddha before. What they say about him has made me realise that is the direction I've been taking, and that its perfectly ok. Before that I questioned myself because the way of Jesus, of loving and accepting those who would destroy us, is not my way. I've always chosen to retreat from the world instead and I wondered if that was selfish. Now I realise it isn't. So that was another light bulb moment Smile

Anyhow, there are certain ideas that I am directing my study around. Such as: vegetarianism, salvation, and metempsychosis (transmigration of souls). Very interesting stuff!

It is extremely curious to me how certain elements of these teachings appear to directly contradict one another. I wonder if there is a way to harmonize them.

Only problem is that attempts at religious syncretism have been attempted in the past, and seem to result in a backlash of fundamentalism and zealotry. Quite the paradox. :idea:
(04-20-2011, 10:24 PM)turtledude23 Wrote: [ -> ]I like Q'uo's suggestion to find the middle between their two paths, or to study whichever path you weren't raised with.

So Q'uo says to take the Middle Path between the Middle Path and the Christian Path. What would one call that? Zen Gnosticism? BigSmile

(04-20-2011, 12:40 PM)turtledude23 Wrote: [ -> ]http://llresearch.org/transcripts/issues..._0402.aspx

The paths of Buddha and Jesus compared and explained. Very insightful.

Yes, I liked that session very much. Nary a "wrong" or a "should" in the query.:idea:

I offered one of the other two queries in that session. Can you guess which one?
Omg Tenet, a wrinkle in time! that was one of my favourite books as a kid. I must find it again! thank you for reminding me of it, I had no idea it had any messages in it. I can't wait to read again with "new eyes"
I came across this while trying to Google the book; it made me lol
http://solonor.com/bannedbooks/archives/001742.html

(07-18-2011, 04:03 AM)Nyu Wrote: [ -> ]Omg Tenet, a wrinkle in time! that was one of my favourite books as a kid. I must find it again! thank you for reminding me of it, I had no idea it had any messages in it. I can't wait to read again with "new eyes"

Yes, I was quite surprised myself. Interesting how something can have such a profound effect on one's thinking, yet so easily fade away in memory.
(07-18-2011, 05:31 AM)Nyu Wrote: [ -> ]I came across this while trying to Google the book; it made me lol

Me too! The last sentence was the punch line. BigSmile
I read it when I was about 10 and I couldn't remember what it was about, only that I had loved it. of course looking at what its about now I'm like "ah yes, of course!". I'm going to buy it this week.

re: the banning thing, ahhh people make my head hurt. Lol
(07-18-2011, 01:32 PM)kycahi Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2011, 05:31 AM)Nyu Wrote: [ -> ]I came across this while trying to Google the book; it made me lol
Me too! The last sentence was the punch line. BigSmile

Actually that is how the book made it back into my consciousness. I saw it on the table at a banned book event and thought to myself... that's funny I don't remember it being banned!
(06-07-2011, 08:02 PM)vbaba Wrote: [ -> ]"Desire is the cause of suffering"? Desire is a motivator! If the Creator did not desire to experience "experience" in the Material Universe, the Social Memory Complexes would not have been formed, the offspring of the Social Memory Complexes, the Spirits would not have been fragmented downward into matter, and the Spirits would not have fragmented into Souls who then fragmented downward into matter the Ego/Personalities (us) so that we could experience experience for our One Infinite Creator. We would not be here if the Creator lacked Desire!

What causes suffering is Value Judging other selves and Resistance to an unwanted reality. Reality is something that IS and cannot be changed at any given moment in time. Resistance to What Is is the root of suffering! And that includes Resisting Desire!

Buddhism does not believe in a 'creator'. Buddhism is first, and foremost concerned with ending suffering in the world created by desire.

You say that the creator must of have 'desire' in order for the universe to exist, but if the creator is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, then there is nothing left to be desired. Desire arises out of a 'lack' of something.

Desire can be a motivator, but it does not follow that the only motivator is desire. Love and compassion can be motivations for existence, and this is what Buddhism ascribes to. Indeed, is God not unconditional love? Was the universe not created out of unconditional love, and not desire? The natural, pure, open awareness (Buddha nature) all beings have, is already-always blissful, joyous and infinite. All beings have access to this consciousness, but one simply observe phenomena in this open awareness in order to experience the 'truth'. Recognizing the emptiness of self, one comes to gain a great, unconditional love and compassion for all beings (recognition of oneness, of the 'self'-'other-self').

The root of your illusion is the self- you are creating a rationalization of what has composed these 'illusions' of social memory complexes, egos, and divinities. In a sense, this is true- that there is an illusion of self, and other-self. This in Buddhism is part of the relative truth, which leads to the ultimate truth, of the emptiness of all forms.

When westerners read 'emptiness' they envision nothingness- but this is not at all what is meant by the term Sunyata. This is a point of much misunderstanding to those new to Buddhism. Emptiness is the recognition that everything arises out of the void, and is impermanent. Thoughts, objects, people, all things. They depend on this void to exist, they are co-created, or co-dependent. This is the idea of interdependent arising. As soon as something is arisen, it necessarily needs it's anti-thesis in order to 'become' into being. This is also the case with existence- there must be non-existence and existence for either to exist. This concept corresponds with much of the channeled material from Ra and Q'uo (if you are inclined to favor their words over others).

To address your last two points about 'resistance', Buddhists do not ascribe to 'resisting' anything. Buddhism is about recognizing the nature of mind through awareness. This awareness is gentle, naked and infinitely vast. It is so close to many people they cannot see it, because they go looking 'out there' or 'in here' for it, when it is already 'here'. It is what is doing the seeking (consciousness).

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding of the teachings of the Dharma. I have practiced and studied Buddhism for most of my life ('seriously' for the past 8 years, before then I was dabbling around).

If you have any questions to my response, please feel free to ask for clarification.

This particular channeling is of interest, as a Buddhist practitioner. There is a distortion towards a Christian understanding of Buddhism in the channeling, as Carla has been steeped in the tradition her entire life. This is evident by the channel describing first, the Christian perspective, and then describing the Buddhist perspective. The Buddhist perspective given throughout the channeling is distorted by Christian symbolism, giving an unclear picture of the Buddhist perspective. There is no intention of disparaging the view of Christians, but simply to give a clearer perspective in words of the Dharma. There is much confusion that stems from these phrases, evident in this thread. This post will simply point out the distortions in the channeling, offering a clearer picture of Buddhism.

“Thusly, as the Buddha allowed all to fall away except the seeking for the one Creator, the entity no longer was concerned with the suffering of the world except to pray that all suffering might cease.”

Buddhism does not ascribe to the idea of a creator, or of any sort of divine figure. The usage of the word “one Creator” is evidently Christian, as it implies a singular entity, with a will (towards creating). This word however, has been defined as “unconditional love” in other changelings. Jesus is known as Love, but also as manifesting as part of the trinity. It could be that the idea of “unconditional love” in Carla’s channel translates into this phrase- in which it would make a bit more sense. The Buddha sought enlightenment, that is, to be awake from the world of illusion (what Ra denotes as the veil). The awakening from the veil requires an inherent sense of compassion, and love towards all sentient beings. Awakening from the illusion requires the ‘self’ to recognize the other-self as the same.
The second part of the sentence, “the entity no longer was concerned with the suffering of the world except to pray that all suffering might cease.” is quite clearly distorted by Carla’s christian imagery. Buddhists do not pray, but meditate. Buddhists are immensely concerned with suffering, in fact the entire philosophy is based on how to develop compassion for all sentient beings to eliminate suffering (samsara) in this world. However, by translating these terms properly into their context, Buddhists do meditate in order to recognize their Buddha nature, that of loving-kindness and compassion. Buddhists do not hope that all suffering might cease, but actively work on reducing suffering in the world. The meditation practice of Tonglen (as named in the Tibetan tradition) is one of receiving suffering into the ‘self’ in order to reduce all other beings suffering in the world.

“The teachings of the one known as Jesus appeal to those who enjoy the feeling of an open heart, a heart open to love. The teachings of the one known as Siddhartha appeal to those who seek wisdom.”

This statement can be misleading as it generalizes both practitioners of each religion. Buddhism does not only seek wisdom- it in fact requires one to develop compassion and loving-kindness before any deeper understanding of the Dharma. These virtues are developed beforehand, because, as a bird cannot fly without both wings, the practitioner of the Dharma cannot take off without practice and wisdom. Wisdom and Compassion are balanced in Buddhism, and this point on balance is repeated often through out the teachings of the Dharma. One could certainly gain another perspective as a Buddhist into the Christian tradition, but Buddhism disagrees on rational grounds against many of the tenants of Christianity. The meeting point between both religions is the striving towards compassion towards others. This is, foremost, the main message of the Dalai Lama to lay-practitioners, and all human kind. 

The points made are stated later in the channeling:

“Yet, the compassionate follower of Christ and the compassionate follower of Buddha meet in the middle where love and wisdom are balanced.”
“Remember that it is not to the extreme that awareness comes, but to the one who has been able to balance the energies of love and the energies of wisdom.”

Interestingly enough, the idea of a creator is not used in this next passage:

“Humble and modest, the Buddha was not led by intellect but by his hunger and his thirst for the presence of the infinite One.”

The infinite One could be understood as the Buddha mind- the open, vast, clear awareness available to all sentient beings. It is interesting to see how such terms vary through out the channeling. Is this due to Carla, or the information being received? Has the informational quality changed, has there been a ‘fine tuning’ during the channeling? In either case, it is interesting to note the change.

“The one known as the Buddha acknowledged this point with his silence. And in that silence stands the spiritually mature Buddha, that one who, just as you, had been full of desires, interested in wealth, influence and power. There was not distaste but simply a preference for not dealing with these.”

This statement is true to an extent, as there is a famous story of the Buddha teaching his followers through silence at one point. Only one disciple, Kashayapa, understood this and smiled. The Buddha recognized this ability, to transmit the teachings without words. Kashayapa established the Zen sect of Buddhism (his followers all the way down to Bodhidharma established it.) Zen is simply the Japanese word for the Chinese Chan Buddhism. Bodhidharma is the Indian monk who came to China to establish this sect of Buddhism. However this is the story of just one lineage of Buddhism. Most of the Buddha’s teachings were also in parables and stories, just as Jesus did during his teachings. In Buddhism there is the idea of “skillful means”, meaning the skill to explain to various people in different contexts the Dharma, suitable to their level. This is where the idea of relative and absolute truth are split- one must use the ‘boat’ of relative truth to cross the river towards the shore of enlightenment, or the ‘absolute truth’. There is no need to reproduce any Buddhist parables here, as there are many to be found online with a simple search or in Buddhist literature (exemplified in the paradoxical koan-structure, or one of the many sutras).

“Where there was no desire, there was no longer a use for that catalyst and with his whole heart and mind, the one known as Gautama gently and firmly said “not this” to each thing he encountered in the world.”

This phrase is also confusing, as it implies that Buddhists some how ‘reject’ things in the world. Buddhists radically accept everything within awareness. They do not say ‘not this’, but rather have no judgement at all. Pure awareness is non-categorical, nonjudgmental ‘observing’ awareness. This awareness is naturally joyful, blissful and compassionate. It is like a child’s mind, full of wonder and amazement at the illusions the mind is able to produce. Practicing meditation is to help recognize and then rest in this state at all times. A Buddha is meditating all the time, even during sleep.

“Therefore, if you wish to follow either entity, it is well to look for the source of teachings, to look for that which has been offered by these great teachers, rather than listening to the rhetoric of those who supposedly follow these teachers.

To follow either of these two men is very difficult because of the confusion that has arisen over centuries of distortion. Yet it is entirely possible to win through to a relatively undistorted grasp of that which is offered by the one known as the Buddha.”

This conception of difficultly following either men is misleading. I see the difficulty arising in Buddhism not through teachers, but the path. A person who has received transmission of the Dharma is a Buddha. This Buddha nature is realizable to all beings. Buddhism is based also off of rationality, of skepticism. The idea of faith in Buddhism is not of radical acceptance, but of radical experience with the Dharma. The experience of experiencing the truths of the Dharma, rationally thinking about it, and carefully thinking about the validity of the teachings leads one towards the faith in the teachings. There are many meditations on eliminating doubt by experiencing the Dharma- for example, Death meditation, to realize the emptiness of self, and the impermanence of life.
This is of course, not to say there are those who do not have transmission and ‘preach’ the Dharma. There are plenty of people who have their own ‘understandings’ of the Dharma, who mislead people. This is why receiving instruction from a Buddha is essential on the Path. There are many lineages with recognized Buddha’s all over the world. Many have established monasteries around the world for those who wish to learn the path of the Buddha.
The difference of course, lies in this idea of transmission of enlightenment. Even the pope does not have ‘direct transmission’- but has the highest authoritative say on what God is saying. God still, however, has the say over the pope. Buddha nature is Buddha nature. It is transmitted without hierarchy because it is without concept (non-categorical awareness), available to all beings seeking enlightenment. The will of God is unknowable in the Christian tradition, so there is much more seeking that must be done in the Christian tradition over the Buddhist one, where there are many teachers available to assist on the path (of course, as stated before, from one of the recognized lineages all over the world).

“As you avail yourself of this vibration, you become that which you are seeking to learn. And as you gradually are able to allow this understanding, shall we say, to penetrate into the very depths and roots of your mind and consciousness, you will be able to avoid the distortion that is rampant.”

This last sentence is the most undistorted, as it clearly explicates the path in Buddhism, “to penetrate into the very depths and roots of your mind and consciousness” to “avoid the distortion that is rampant”. These distortions are the aggregates that we call the ‘self’. Eliminating the aggregates is a realization of no-self, of unity with all others. This is a state of loving-kindness and compassion for all beings (“Are you not all things?”)

Hopefully, the discernment in this post has allowed a clearer understanding of Buddhism, and a critical eye towards the Q’uo channelings and the distortion they receive from the channeler (Carla). It is not a problem of the channel, but a matter of relaying accurate information for those seeking it.
In what respect are prayer wheels and prayer flags a part of Buddhism? Would this not indicate "prayer"? A quick google search on Buddhist prayer enlightens one as to the many possibilities.
Q'uo's image of Buddhism sounds like Hindu gyana-yoga to me. "neti neti" is generally considered to be a Hindu thing. Of course Buddhism came out of Hinduism but I actually don't know of any buddhists who do neti neti. I suppose Buddhas life itself did reveal this path.

Modern buddhism is heavily concerned with compassion, while modern Christianity is heavily concerned with intellectualism. This was noted by Yogananda, who said that Christ was an impractical man but his followers have been eminently practical and materialistic, while Krishna was practical and materialistic, even encouraging arjuna to go to war, while his followers in India are completely impractical and act more like Christ -- throwing caution to the wind and running on pure faith.

In this way followers from the east and west seek balance. Christians, challenged by Christ's command to sell all their possessions and wander the desert, love science and technology and material wealth. Hindus, encouraged by krishna to fight for what is right and to respect and love the simple human life of work, marriage, war, and duty, tend toward wild irresponsibility when it comes to the physical. (shiva is there to bail out anyone who is made sad by Krishna)

Buddhists, in my opinion, are usually more focused on wisdom and escaping suffering than on cultivating and expressing compassion. This is likely Carla's attitude born from experience with western Buddhists. Her idea of the mystical Christian is herself, someone utterly devoted to the love teachings of Jesus. Her idea of Buddhists is probably the Buddhists she has met in the USA, who tend to be white people who seek the wisdom of the Buddha and want to escape suffering.

Anyway as a Virgo who is extremely in tune with the "neti neti" energy I would have to agree that that practice of discernment is about letting the world fall away until there is only the creator remaining. But I don't see this as a Buddhist practice - it is gyana yoga.

As a westerner I would also agree with the conception of Jesus as he who takes on the suffering of the world through unrestrained love.

Buddhism, however, as I perceive from what ive read of the Buddha and learned from Buddhism, resonates more with me in the way Ra describes the Buddha as "the all being in one". I think of the Buddha as sitting in perfect peace feeling the heartbeat of the universe, being the macrocosm from the microcosm. Perfect unity. "the all being in one"
(01-07-2012, 11:41 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]In what respect are prayer wheels and prayer flags a part of Buddhism? Would this not indicate "prayer"? A quick google search on Buddhist prayer enlightens one as to the many possibilities.

"Prayer" flags and wheels are a good example of the Christianization of Buddhist concepts. On these flags and wheels are mantras. They are not aimed or directed at a deity, but rather at the mind. Mantras are used in repetition as a way of accessing different states of mind, and chanting messages of compassion, peace, and love towards all sentient beings. They do not appeal to any higher deity.

This shows how words are able to evoke many connotations, and the need for my previous post to clarify some of the Buddhist concepts in the channeling, and some of the questions asked.

It's a good example of the failings of translations between languages, and channels. It's ever more important to be discerning.

Edit:

Here's two links for the Wikipedia articles that are quite concise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_wheels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_flags

(01-08-2012, 08:24 AM)yossarian Wrote: [ -> ]Q'uo's image of Buddhism sounds like Hindu gyana-yoga to me. "neti neti" is generally considered to be a Hindu thing. Of course Buddhism came out of Hinduism but I actually don't know of any buddhists who do neti neti. I suppose Buddhas life itself did reveal this path.

Modern buddhism is heavily concerned with compassion, while modern Christianity is heavily concerned with intellectualism. This was noted by Yogananda, who said that Christ was an impractical man but his followers have been eminently practical and materialistic, while Krishna was practical and materialistic, even encouraging arjuna to go to war, while his followers in India are completely impractical and act more like Christ -- throwing caution to the wind and running on pure faith.

In this way followers from the east and west seek balance. Christians, challenged by Christ's command to sell all their possessions and wander the desert, love science and technology and material wealth. Hindus, encouraged by krishna to fight for what is right and to respect and love the simple human life of work, marriage, war, and duty, tend toward wild irresponsibility when it comes to the physical. (shiva is there to bail out anyone who is made sad by Krishna)

Buddhists, in my opinion, are usually more focused on wisdom and escaping suffering than on cultivating and expressing compassion. This is likely Carla's attitude born from experience with western Buddhists. Her idea of the mystical Christian is herself, someone utterly devoted to the love teachings of Jesus. Her idea of Buddhists is probably the Buddhists she has met in the USA, who tend to be white people who seek the wisdom of the Buddha and want to escape suffering.

Anyway as a Virgo who is extremely in tune with the "neti neti" energy I would have to agree that that practice of discernment is about letting the world fall away until there is only the creator remaining. But I don't see this as a Buddhist practice - it is gyana yoga.

As a westerner I would also agree with the conception of Jesus as he who takes on the suffering of the world through unrestrained love.

Buddhism, however, as I perceive from what ive read of the Buddha and learned from Buddhism, resonates more with me in the way Ra describes the Buddha as "the all being in one". I think of the Buddha as sitting in perfect peace feeling the heartbeat of the universe, being the macrocosm from the microcosm. Perfect unity. "the all being in one"

I agree with you entirely. Astute observations. My main intention was simply to clear up the distorted concepts of Buddhist thought in this particular channeling. It has helped me take a look at the other changelings with a more critical eye, to help pull out more information out of the work. Which schools of Buddhist thought are you familiar with? It sounds as if you might be interested in the Yogacara, or at least be familiar with it, due to it's historical proximity to the Hindu tradition.

Namaste
(01-08-2012, 09:19 PM)SomaticDreams Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you entirely. Astute observations. My main intention was simply to clear up the distorted concepts of Buddhist thought in this particular channeling. It has helped me take a look at the other changelings with a more critical eye, to help pull out more information out of the work. Which schools of Buddhist thought are you familiar with? It sounds as if you might be interested in the Yogacara, or at least be familiar with it, due to it's historical proximity to the Hindu tradition.

Namaste

Yeah, I thought of myself as adding on to what you were saying.

I'm actually not familiar with Yogacara, it looks like it doesn't have much of a Western following. I'm mainly familiar with Theravada Buddhists since they are the most numerous here, but also with Tibetan Buddhists. I've been instructed by both Tibetans and Theravada types.

My main lens is the Law of One but heavily informed by Hinduism. Hindus, in my opinion, have the best understanding of the different paths with their extensive discussion of jnana yoga, karma yoga, bhakti yoga, and raja yoga.
(01-08-2012, 09:52 PM)yossarian Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2012, 09:19 PM)SomaticDreams Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you entirely. Astute observations. My main intention was simply to clear up the distorted concepts of Buddhist thought in this particular channeling. It has helped me take a look at the other changelings with a more critical eye, to help pull out more information out of the work. Which schools of Buddhist thought are you familiar with? It sounds as if you might be interested in the Yogacara, or at least be familiar with it, due to it's historical proximity to the Hindu tradition.

Namaste

Yeah, I thought of myself as adding on to what you were saying.

I'm actually not familiar with Yogacara, it looks like it doesn't have much of a Western following. I'm mainly familiar with Theravada Buddhists since they are the most numerous here, but also with Tibetan Buddhists. I've been instructed by both Tibetans and Theravada types.

My main lens is the Law of One but heavily informed by Hinduism. Hindus, in my opinion, have the best understanding of the different paths with their extensive discussion of jnana yoga, karma yoga, bhakti yoga, and raja yoga.

If you don't mind me asking, which texts have you read in the Hindu tradition, or have you had any extensive experience with gurus?

And also, which traditions in the Tibetan tradition? There are four major schools:

The Nyingma (The most Ancient School)
The Kagyu (Concerned with the oral transmission, and meditative insight)
The Sakya (Known as the scholarly lineage, focused highly on intellectual insight)
The Gelug (Focuses on virtuous living, a reformist movement. The school of which the Dalai Lama was raised within)

If you have no idea, it's quite alright. I would be interested to see what school you studied under to gain an understanding of your experience with Buddhism.

Thank you for the thoughtful replies.

Namaste
Pages: 1 2