Bring4th

Full Version: Good to see an advanced studies forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mod note:This thread refers to a sub-forum known as "Advanced Studies" that existed during the foregone years of 2011 and 2012, back when entities had heavy chemical complex physical vehicles, and two of the Beatles were still alive.

Advanced Studies was transformed into a sub-forum for the purpose of studying the archetypes. Soon after, all members became enlightened.

Hopefully, it will be of good use to seekers. thanks.
I think this forum is a great idea for people who want to go in depth in a topic without anyone derailing them - not that that's a bad thing, but sometimes it doesn't belong.
Ha..good stuff.
(04-28-2011, 12:45 AM)turtledude23 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this forum is a great idea for people who want to go in depth in a topic without anyone derailing them - not that that's a bad thing, but sometimes it doesn't belong.

Agreed. This is good to see.

The rest of the forum upgrades are great! A lot more shows on my phone now, i post from my phone.

Sorry for the derailing, haha.
I don't feel strongly about this, but it's worth posting I think. I regret the name a little. Calling something "Advanced" could imply elitism or separation in some way. Not that I have a good replacement name right now, though.

Brainstorming:
  • Attention to Details
  • Focusing In
  • Passion for Details
  • Nerding the Law
  • Drilling Down
  • Details Oriented Discussions
  • Meta Discussions
  • Lawyers of One Tongue
  • Deeper Digging
  • Fine Tooth Combing
Of the above, at first I liked Details Oriented Discussions; now I switched to Focusing In for some reason. Other ideas anyone, or is Advanced OK?
(04-29-2011, 02:08 AM)kycahi Wrote: [ -> ]I regret the name a little

kycahi, may be something like "Deeper Spiritual Studies" or "Aspirational Research Assembly"?

3DMonkey

How about "keep the rabid monkey out- studies"?
(04-29-2011, 09:42 AM)3DMonkey Wrote: [ -> ]How about "keep the rabid monkey out- studies"?

I like that one, I think it gets to the core of the issue.

jk, I love you man.
kycahi Wrote:I regret the name a little. Calling something "Advanced" could imply elitism or separation in some way.

How about replacing 'advanced' with 'in-depth', simple and straight forward, while getting rid of the elitist flavour that the word 'advanced' has.
(04-30-2011, 09:45 AM)Spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]
kycahi Wrote:I regret the name a little. Calling something "Advanced" could imply elitism or separation in some way.

How about replacing 'advanced' with 'in-depth', simple and straight forward, while getting rid of the elitist flavour that the word 'advanced' has.

I like that. It's much more neutral and a good label for the contents.
(04-30-2011, 09:45 AM)Spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]

then there is no point to having an in-depth forum. its just labeling. if someone associates the word in-depth with elitism somewhere for any reason, then it will become a no no word too.
(04-30-2011, 09:45 AM)Spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]How about replacing 'advanced' with 'in-depth', simple and straight forward, while getting rid of the elitist flavour that the word 'advanced' has.

This is a good opportunity to explore how we perceive words. Why is the word advanced construed as elitist?

When I think of elitist, I think of allowing only some people into a private club, at the exclusion of others.

I think of the Christian faith, in its fundamentalist form, as very elitist, because it teaches that only a chosen few will get to 'heaven' and everyone else will burn in 'hell' forever.

That is very elitist to me.

But our new forum is open to anyone who cares to participate. How is it different from the Treehouse, which is open to anyone who cares to participate?

The Treehouse has a certain flavor. It's for run. Would The Treehouse be considered elitist to those who wish to have a serious discussion?
(05-01-2011, 11:09 AM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]This is a good opportunity to explore how we perceive words. Why is the word advanced construed as elitist?

A very valid point and a great question!

3DMonkey

(05-01-2011, 11:11 AM)Confused Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2011, 11:09 AM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]This is a good opportunity to explore how we perceive words. Why is the word advanced construed as elitist?

Probably for the same reason the word "dry" is perceived as derogatory.

(I have been "mod-ed" for the use of this word)

3DMonkey

we wouldnt call the treehouse the "higher developed sense of humor exploration", would we?
As I'm the one who brought it up, I'll make a point. If I just came upon this site after a long lonely life struggle, I might introduce myself by saying how disconnected I had always felt etc. and happy to have discovered the LOO. After being welcomed by several, I might sit back and look around among the forums to bask in the group energy and knowledge.

If I look into the area labeled "Advanced," I might explore that and, because the topics get really involved, I might assume that I must have to get invited to join in, but don't want to go through whatever initiation or exam that might require.

Then there are an unknown number of newbies that don't introduce themselves. They may lurk for days, weeks or longer and then, if they never say hello, we won't know what they have been thinking.

As I said originally, I wasn't extremely put off by that word, but felt that it might imply something unintended so I brought it up.

You can add to the forum rules that all are perfectly welcome to lurk or join any discussion and that we won't pounce if they post a "WTF I don't get this" message.

Maybe we could balance the Advanced forum with a Newbie one, or write/point to some articles that new friends can read over to get into our style of thinking and ways of writing. A list of our acronyms is probably a good start, although I picked them up pretty fast. A British person might wonder what all that LOO talk is about. Wink (Ha, interesting that I wrote those three letters in lower case but an enlightened robot capitalized them. Cool )

The Advanced label would actually be attractive to a certain kind of person that is looking for more than the platitudes that some new age organizations put out. I really like the forum so far.
Bring4th_Monica Wrote:
(04-30-2011, 09:45 AM)Spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]How about replacing 'advanced' with 'in-depth', simple and straight forward, while getting rid of the elitist flavour that the word 'advanced' has.

This is a good opportunity to explore how we perceive words. Why is the word advanced construed as elitist?

To me personally it gives an impression that some are 'better' than others. In life, whenever people reach 'advancement' in something (anything), they always shape their identities around it, as if it defines them. It always becomes a badge that they wear. But in reality, now that I think about it, everything entails progression, and later stages in progression, is 'advanced', no other word for it really. It's funny how words affect us. When I read the Ra material for the first time, Carla mentioned somewhere that she worked with advanced students with meditation, and immediately I got that worrying feeling, because I knew nothing about meditation at the time, and I became a little anxious about time itself, because I wished that I had discovered the Ra material sooner. We are silly. Tongue

When I told Confused in another thread about Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman, I started reading it again today, because I remembered what a profound effect it had on me the first time, long before I discovered Ra. Man oh man, the two complement each other perfectly. Truth is indeed universal. But wait, I am actually going somewhere with this Wink Spiritual evolution takes commitment, serious commitment, and there are definitely levels of 'advancement' or progression. So I think, the word is actually quite appropriate, after I removed the emotional attachment.

Am I derailing? Blush

Bring4th_Monica Wrote:When I think of elitist, I think of allowing only some people into a private club, at the exclusion of others.

Yes that, and a hierarchy. Funny without the 'others', there can be no elites Tongue

Bring4th_Monica Wrote:I think of the Christian faith, in its fundamentalist form, as very elitist, because it teaches that only a chosen few will get to 'heaven' and everyone else will burn in 'hell' forever.

Yeah, it's heartbreaking the amount of sorrow that lie has caused. One lie...

I'm kind of on a spiritual high right now, that's why I'm blabbering like this. If you haven't read Peaceful Warrior, read it!
(05-01-2011, 07:07 PM)Spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]Spiritual evolution takes commitment, serious commitment, and there are definitely levels of 'advancement' or progression. So I think, the word is actually quite appropriate, after I removed the emotional attachment.

Good points!

(05-01-2011, 07:07 PM)Spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]Am I derailing? Blush

Not at all! You're adding excellent points to the discussion.

(05-01-2011, 07:07 PM)Spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it's heartbreaking the amount of sorrow that lie has caused. One lie...

Yeah

(05-01-2011, 07:07 PM)Spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]I'm kind of on a spiritual high right now, that's why I'm blabbering like this. If you haven't read Peaceful Warrior, read it!

I read 27 years ago, before it got reissued and retitled. I still refer to certain concepts in it. Great book!
(05-01-2011, 06:24 PM)3DMonkey Wrote: [ -> ]we wouldnt call the treehouse the "higher developed sense of humor exploration", would we?

I rather like The Treehuggers'Treehouse...conjures up images of playtime. But I can change the title if you like!
Monica Wrote:I read 27 years ago, before it got reissued and retitled. I still refer to certain concepts in it. Great book!

Smile I love how Peaceful Warrior speaks of the same things as Ra, just by different names. Intelligent infinity in Ra is 'the Gate', and the Laws of 'our' Universe is the 'House Rules' in Peaceful Warrior. And I love how Socrates' students were all a little (unconsciously chosen) on the STS path before they met him. That is so common on this sphere we're on.
Dear 3DMonkey,

You wrote in post #14 of this thread:

Quote:Probably for the same reason the word "dry" is perceived as derogatory.

Either you wholly misunderstood what I was saying when I sent you a moderator PM this past Saturday, or you are deliberately fabricating an event and misrepresenting moderator intentions.

I presume the former, but either event necessitates extra effort on my part to establish clarity in this matter, both for you, and now for others who have been alerted of your being “mod-ed”.

Following is the relevant section of the PM I sent you on Saturday.

Quote:GLB wrote 3DMonkey via PM:
And I thought I would offer a response to this post http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthrea...5#pid37635.

You wrote, “I'm not sure if I'm allowed to offer my "personal" anecdotes and observations in this sub forum. So, I'll be as dry as possible.”

Not sure where you got the notion that personal material could not be included in the discussion, or that it had to be “dry”, because neither is true. Personal material is welcome and encouraged in this sub-forum. As the final note of the guidelines for the Advanced Studies point out, Ra says that the “self” is the material for understanding. Also, the guidelines mention that humor is completely welcome.

I think you are conflating focused/serious/in-depth conversation with arid, emotionless, impersonal discourse. This is not the case. Please by all means by lighthearted and playful provided that it is *pertinent to and furthers the discussion*. Strong focus and consistency is what we are shooting for here, among the other goals mentions in the guidelines. (http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=2607)

Is the distinction I am attempting to make clear? If not, please let me know and I would be happy to talk it further.

At no point in my message do I state, imply, or event hint that *anything* you said is perceived as “derogatory”.

On the contrary, in this section I, in *goodwill*, simply wanted to answer your uncertainty regarding the appropriateness of including personal anecdotes, and whether the discussion need be “dry”.

I wanted to tell you that, yes, personal material is fine! And that no, it need not be “dry”. As I kindly mentioned in my message, you are invited to include personal material, and to be playful as long as it is, as I say above, pertinent to and furthers discussion.

For future reference, the moderators approach everyone here with the utmost respect, and with a professional but friendly attitude, and are always willing to reflect on themselves should their approach be perceived as less than respectful. We truly want to do our best, and in our conception of things, “best” means treating others kindly, including you, 3DMonkey. This was my intention in PM'ing you.

Should a moderator PM create an issue with you, we request that you make an attempt to actually reply to the PM and engage the moderator in discussion, the moderator who genuinely wants harmony between you and all members and will work hard towards those ends.

It is unbecoming of the adults that we are to not respond to a moderator PM but opt instead to complain in the forums, in the process grossly misrepresenting moderator intention and action.

If you would like to continue this discussion further, please do so with me via PM and let’s not shift the focus of this thread any further.

Thank you, with love and light,

Gary

3DMonkey

(05-01-2011, 01:07 PM)3DMonkey Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2011, 11:11 AM)Confused Wrote: [ -> ]

Probably for the same reason the word "dry" is perceived as derogatory.

Thank you GLB.

I think we can all see how words can be construed differently.

Forgive me if I have derailed the Advanced Study of the goodness of Advanced Study.

Unbound

Those who use words carelessly are enslaved by their proclamations, personal indifference does not make the soul go unawares.