Bring4th

Full Version: Is there anyone on the air?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Derringer

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I've been a member for a while now, but only recently have had the time to actually start posting. I feel as though I've found a special place in these forums, and would like to contribute to them. I look forward to getting to know all of you Smile

I grew up in Lancaster, PA, and had a relatively loving and stable upbringing. What I've read in so many stories here reflects my own past, in that I always felt like there was "something" unseen or hidden from plain sight, and that I was the only one who realized it! While I got along with my family and friends well enough, I would often find myself alone, gazing at the stars, talking to my cat, or becoming completely immersed in whatever I was imagining at the time. I had an older half sister who was my first teacher in many ways. She taught me to have love for others, even if they don't do the same for you. After years of failing to live by that, I'm finally realizing that same truth that as a child was second nature! Anyways, I lost her to cancer when I was eight, and that had a really profound impact on me. I began to detach and withdraw, convinced that human realtionships were doomed to fail or be destroyed. While emotionally distant, I was intellectually active. Around the time that middle school started I "got the itch". I would read everything I could get my hands on about lost civilizations, metaphysics, E.T.'s, etc. Ancient Egypt and Atlantis especially resonated with me. Through high school I was a good student, but would often smoke pot and experiment with psychadelics. You learn many things from those other teachers that you don't from those in the classroom Wink. By the time I was eighteen I really felt that I needed to get out of my comfort zone, so after I graduated I joined the Marine Corps. I always had an attraction to the "noble savage" archetype, and that warrior mentality was something I felt I could benefit from if I could keep it in perspective. It is now four years later that I stand before you.

I posted this a few days ago, but unfortunatly it was lost. There were a few comments from people that I never got a chance to respond to, so feel free to re-post them.

P.S. for all other wanderers out who happen to be grunts, I'm 2/1 Wpns. Maybe we have some overlap.
Welcome again, Derringer (my previous post didn't survive the server switch), and I hope you share even more with us over time.
Thanks for your post, Derringer. I appreciate its value much.
Welcome Derringer!

I can identify myself somewhat with your story although i could be your grandmother Tongue

I first thought you were a woman because of the picture, funny sync is that just minutes ago i put my pic on twitter with my guitar since i'm a singer/songwriter and i presented myself like this: Singing nep-tunes for the Universe, looking into the mirror of stars and planets, planting my garden wishing we may Bring4th a Divine Cosmos...

...and i feel a bit scared to state this officially but my mother came to me through a medium yesterday telling me i should stand up for my beliefs and not to be afraid...

transiten

Derringer

I applaud your bravery transiten! Fear only has as much control over us as we allow it to have.

Derringer

I applaud your bravery transiten! Fear only has as much control over us as we allow it to have.
(05-28-2011, 04:31 PM)Derringer Wrote: [ -> ]I applaud your bravery transiten! Fear only has as much control over us as we allow it to have.

Well thanks twice BigSmile Could you tell me how to insert the picture here? I managed on twitter but here no...
(05-28-2011, 04:35 PM)transiten Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2011, 04:31 PM)Derringer Wrote: [ -> ]I applaud your bravery transiten! Fear only has as much control over us as we allow it to have.

Well thanks twice BigSmile Could you tell me how to insert the picture here? I managed on twitter but here no...

Click-a like this-a!! Cool

* my dashboard
* Edit your Profile (left side)
* Change Avatar (left side)

Upload-a your picture!

Unbound

Welcome, I feel we are of similar make-up in this life and have taken alternate routes in its expression, very fascinating to see another perception! Blessings, adonai
Thankyou Aaron Smile

Only thing is i have to change the 5 year old picture since my hair now has the same sobel colour and length as my shorthaired collie but the guitar looks the same: a Martin D45

transiten
(05-28-2011, 09:53 PM)transiten Wrote: [ -> ]Thankyou Aaron Smile

Only thing is i have to change the 5 year old picture since my hair now has the same sobel colour and length as my shorthaired collie but the guitar looks the same: a Martin D45

transiten

What does "sobel" mean?

Wow, I looked up the Martin D45... from Wikipedia: "The Martin D-45 is a steel-string acoustic guitar made by C. F. Martin & Company. The model has been manufactured from 1933 to 1942, and again since 1968. The guitar is made of Brazilian rosewood." Impressive! The entire manufacturing run of those guitars was before I was even born... How long have you been playing guitar?
(05-29-2011, 01:35 AM)Bring4th_Aaron Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2011, 09:53 PM)transiten Wrote: [ -> ]Thankyou Aaron Smile

transiten

What does "sobel" mean?

Wow, I looked up the Martin D45... from Wikipedia: "The Martin D-45 is a steel-string acoustic guitar made by C. F. Martin & Company. The model has been manufactured from 1933 to 1942, and again since 1968. The guitar is made of Brazilian rosewood." Impressive! The entire manufacturing run of those guitars was before I was even born... How long have you been playing guitar?

Ooops, "sable" of course, now my dog's fur is more reddish but anyway. I've been playing since i was 13. I've got a classic nylon-string japanese guitar also and my grand fathers french violin. On the violin i play only swedish and irish folkmusic.

Cheers

Derringer, do you play the guitar?
And Aaron i forgot my Yamaha 12-stringed guitar...

..and a a sync pple are talking about their belief in God on the radio and only acoustic guitars are accompaining and one tune was "we sold our homes" an old swedish song about the emigrants to America

transiten

Derringer

Yea I play transiten, although only for 8 years!

seejay21

(02-21-1974, 01:02 AM)Derringer Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. for all other wanderers out who happen to be grunts, I'm 2/1 Wpns. Maybe we have some overlap.

How long have you been out? Your idea of overlap will expand in time. :-)

1st civ div has alot of members

1st lar bn. 87 - 95. Was lai bn then rla, and now lar..

Derringer

ah yes LAR, I've worked with u guys before. small world Smile
Looks like a nice get together of military service folks Smile

seejay21

(06-01-2011, 09:51 PM)Derringer Wrote: [ -> ]ah yes LAR, I've worked with u guys before. small world Smile

The thing that sticks with me about "oh three walk a lots" is that they are expert sleepers. Is that what you mean by working with LAR? Did you find a new way to sleep in the back of vehicles? Tongue You could probably do benifit to this forum by starting a thread titled "how to sleep anywhere anytime".

I went on float once, and they attached LAVs to a heavy weapons platton from 2/9s weapons comany and a platton of grunts from a line company and called the mix "team tiger". All of us in this little mini comapny was sure of one thing. It's better to ride than to walk. Smile
(06-01-2011, 09:54 PM)Confused Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like a nice get together of military service folks Smile

Well i've never serverd in the military but i've got an aspect in my chart mars square kiron called "The sacred warrior" BigSmile

transiten
I expect that current and ex-mil folk would have a lot to share among selves. Should b4th have a new forum? That would enable separate threads and keep the community together.

What do those in that category who have been here for awhile think? Maybe you already have good boards for that somewhere else, though.

seejay21

(06-02-2011, 12:12 PM)kycahi Wrote: [ -> ]I expect that current and ex-mil folk would have a lot to share among selves. Should b4th have a new forum? That would enable separate threads and keep the community together.

What do those in that category who have been here for awhile think? Maybe you already have good boards for that somewhere else, though.

I don't think we need a new forum. We can do our thing in Olio. We can even talk about guitars there too.

We military folks are having a secret meeting to take over the "Tree hugger's Tree House" thread though, opps, secret is out. Attack! Tongue

Derringer

(06-01-2011, 11:16 PM)seejay21 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2011, 09:51 PM)Derringer Wrote: [ -> ]ah yes LAR, I've worked with u guys before. small world Smile

The thing that sticks with me about "oh three walk a lots" is that they are expert sleepers. Is that what you mean by working with LAR? Did you find a new way to sleep in the back of vehicles? Tongue You could probably do benifit to this forum by starting a thread titled "how to sleep anywhere anytime".

I went on float once, and they attached LAVs to a heavy weapons platton from 2/9s weapons comany and a platton of grunts from a line company and called the mix "team tiger". All of us in this little mini comapny was sure of one thing. It's better to ride than to walk. Smile

Oh indeed it is, I was fortunate enough to have done a float in a very similar manner, only LAR was attached directly to 1/1 Wpns Co. We never rode with you guys because we had our own trucks. Sleep was near impossible in those things, especially in high heat, but damned if we did try! In the last pump to Afghanistan we were foot mobile 90% of the time, and for all the bullcrap associated with deployment, I'll never forget napping amongst the poppy fields while the mosques played call to prayer. Just surreal.

seejay21

Surreal. this word takes on new meaning when in a "theatre of operations". Physics and what normally should happen take on new properties all together, even the smallest things seem wacked.