Bring4th

Full Version: a meditation to increase compassion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
this meditation will help to increase our levels of compassion.

i would ask u to get into a comfortable meditation position with the
back straight and the index finger and thumb touching.

take some nice calm deep breaths and let all of your cares and concerns
just melt away from you.

continue to do this until u feel deeply relaxed.

in your minds eye i would ask u to visualize a dimly lighted room

enter into to this room and see that the only light is a light hanging

down from the ceiling.

directly underneath that light is someone seated in a chair

a young woman .

as your eyes get used to the light u notice that she is sobbing

you can tell from her face that she has been crying for a while

approach her and kneel down, touch her gently

look at her and ask her why is she crying

she looks up at you and smiles sadly and says nothing

notice now that it is not just the two of you anymore in the room

there are others now of different ages, some young children,

some teenagers some older people some twenty somethings.

they are gathered around this young women and they express their

support to her thru their caring which shows on their faces

slowly the young one starts to feel better and looks up at the

group and begins to smile.

this meditation practiced repeatedly will increase our compassion levels

norral Heart
I don't see how this would 'increase compassion levels'. Wouldn't reflection on something related to genuine personal experience of an actual other-self (rather than abstract fantasy), such as the numerous catalytic opportunities of the day, provide a more appropriate learning experience?

3DMonkey

Such as 'so and so went to the doctor and has to ...' 'awwwwe' ?

Or ' she's talking more since she's had ear surgery...' 'awwwwe' ?

Or 'he's trying so hard to solidify his position in his new job...' 'awwwwe' ?

Or 'their friendship is obviously bonding more these days...' 'awwwe' ?

These are a few I experienced today. ( My robot circuit needs an upgrade from its single expression of 'awwwe' doesn't it? )
zen
the meditation is subjective. if it doesnt work for someone then obviously for that person it is not valid. i personally like it and wanted to share it.

norral
(06-29-2011, 10:21 PM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]the meditation is subjective. if it doesnt work for someone then obviously for that person it is not valid.
Well, what's not subjective? Do you know how it can work for someone (in a valid manner)?

I'm asking because it seems to be a meditation that substitutes the evaluation of actual experience for an emotional 'drama'. This seems regressive because the object of the 'magic' is whatever that girl and the comforter symbolizes in themselves, correct? But what we have here is a contrived or self-fulfilling role for both parts, so you are basically attempting to reinforce someone's idea of a desirable emotional pattern - like hypnosis attempts to do by working on the subconscious. For me, this would be a non-transformative imagination, because it attempts to connect with the abstract idea of something 'compassionate' rather than the (very real) thing itself. That is, rather than to attempt to experience your own being in reflection of actual experiential catalyst.

Meerie

Norral I have a meditation on how to deal with trolls for you:
chant 3 times "om"
then 3 times "ignore"
and then 3 "om" again and you will be just fine BigSmile
that's pretty funny meerie, thanks for the advice .
if i see someone crying i don't always feel anything. dunno why that is. am i supposed to feel something. the other day i felt a wave of compassion though. i dunno what's wrong with me.
oceania, theres nothing wrong with you . we feel what we feel. just acknowledging what we feel is good enuf for me. nobody i know is compassionate or unoompassionate all the time. several times u have encouraged me after i wrote a poem. that made me feel good so u were definitely showing compassion for another then.

norral
thanks Norral Smile