Bring4th

Full Version: plz tell me the aliens will come before this happens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got nothing to hide so it wouldn't bother me either way.

Unless they used it to steal people's identities.
well not everyone wants to give their name rank and cereal number even if they have nothing to hide! it's a total violation!
the internet will die if the anonymity goes, noone will be able to talk honestly anymore.
It is without a doubt a violation and just more of the Govt. seizing more of our Liberties.
That article isn't very informative. Go here instead http://www.popsci.com/technology/article...er-threats

It is a separate internet for a governmental network altogether, which makes sense. If for whatever reason you need to access it, you'll have to provide credentials and you give up certain rights. 'Our' internet remains untouched.
Quote:When the dust settles, you may not be able to go to certain neighborhoods of the Web without showing your papers at a checkpoint--and perhaps subjecting yourself to one of those humiliating electronic pat-downs as well.
That only happens if the majority allows it to happen, right? Instead of being victims we are to be proactive. After all, the governing bodies are supposed to do what we tell them to, but few actively participate in making sure that happens. Then we voice hollow complaints about the results.
the majority doesn't allow it to happen? what planet are you from? Tongue
I am not completely sure about that yet BigSmile
The Internet has never been a place to be "anonymous". Every connection you make from your personal computer can be tracked. Internet Service Providers log your every move for liability purposes. In fact they are now watching to make sure you don't pirate movies and music. The only way to come close to being anonymous is by joining a hacker circle and learning how to jump around the net on temporary server connections so that your electronic trail becomes broken many times over. Even then, those pieces can eventually be reconstructed by big brother.

The fact that there would be a Government-level network with an additional layer of security is GOOD! Do you really want teenagers learning how to send viruses into our nuclear facilities? Or launching missiles? Affecting stock markets? Emptying bank accounts? Or God knows what else? The network that is being spoken of is not something that will concern our everyday use of going to Facebook and ... ehem.. Bring4th. Smile

Don't forget that we also have other "Internets" in existence already. Have you heard of Internet2? It has been out for years now. It's not available to people like you and me, but it is entirely available to businesses and academia.

So try not to let it get you down. If I were you, I would be protesting this instead, which is closer to reality than you think:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/intern...itch_N.htm
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you..right? BigSmile
(07-13-2011, 10:33 PM)Icaro Wrote: [ -> ]Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you..right? BigSmile
I bet your use of double negatives was just to get me to think really hard so I would forget to be afraid for a minute! Wink

Hehe..I had to think before I wrote it.
i'm not happy about the tracking thing either but it's way different than this. and i don't trust the government. BigSmile
what does a kill switch do?
if they tried to do this there would have to be an incentive to use it .. like say facebook could only be used on internet 2.
while on internet 1 had myspace let's just make a pure example

u know what the internet would do? not use it.
just like the way they moved from myspace to facebook. now there's google +
good timing just after all the facebook crap got sold..

unless everyone was brainless no one is going to use internet 2.
facebook only got popular because of all the tech savvy ppl who go into it and promoted it. now that it's turning into another myspace. i don't see a reason why not to move to another social network.

i'm already on google+ actually.

(07-14-2011, 03:31 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]i'm not happy about the tracking thing either but it's way different than this. and i don't trust the government. BigSmile
what does a kill switch do?
The kill switch is something you can readily read about, as it has already been used in other countries. Basically the idea is that the government is given the authority to tell all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) within a country or region to stop providing Internet service its customers within minutes. While the Internet will continue working in other parts of the world, those in the affected country or region would not be able to connect to any web sites or services due to there being no service. Your phone would also not be able to connect because your phone's data connection eventually resolves to an IP address, which would be turned off. So the idea is to create isolation.

The way it has been used in other countries is as follows:

1. Citizens rise up against government
2. Citizens begin to coalesce and organize through popular social networking services
3. Government observes anti-gov sentiment and organization
4. Gov calls region's Internet Service Providers and orders a full shutdown of services
5. Other countries deliver major heat to the country that turned off the Internet
6. Offending country waits until signs of organizing wane
7. Government turns on Internet again and in some cases denies ever turning it off

That's what's been happening a few times already.
(07-15-2011, 12:11 AM)BlatzAdict Wrote: [ -> ]i'm already on google+ actually.

I managed to become part of the field testing crowd, as well. I definitely like it over Facebook because of the ability to separate content and contributions, directing it only to people who you wish to see it.

So this means I can now effectively have a circle for my friends who like to receive funny e-mails, a circle for my spiritual friends, one for family, one for friends, and one for professional colleagues, of whom I do not wish to send "anything" personal.

To have easy control over this was the big "no-brainer" for me. It also helps that I enjoy using Picasa, although one of the members on here already had a huge Picasa album and suddenly found that Google+ wanted to publish all the photos from the albums, something he was not quite ready for.

All in all, I think it has a good chance to giving FB a run for the money!

Would a social memory complex not also reveal our deepest secrets and identities to others too?
umm, google sucks, i've quit using gmail for the most part because they keep demanding i give them my phone number. i don't even have a phone! if i don't give them it i can't use my account. google is untrustworthy. facebook is too but i only use it cuz all my friends are there. that's how you get sucked in.
Steve, that sounds awful. but it won't delete internet right?
(07-15-2011, 07:09 AM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]umm, google sucks, i've quit using gmail for the most part because they keep demanding i give them my phone number. i don't even have a phone! if i don't give them it i can't use my account. google is untrustworthy. facebook is too but i only use it cuz all my friends are there. that's how you get sucked in.
Steve, that sounds awful. but it won't delete internet right?

Nope, it won't delete the Internet at all, it just temporarily prevents people from accessing or adding to it within the areas that are shut down.

Speaking of Google... There's an excellent alternative if you all want to use something that Google can't monitor.

It's called StartPage.com. They actually include Google in their own search results, so it is as good as using Google. However, the big difference is that they don't collect your search queries or your IP information! So you are basically anonymous when you search.

If you don't use services like StartPage, please realize that Google, Bing, Yahoo, many other popular search engines will record every word you put into their search bar, as well as you IP address so that you can be tracked down through your ISP should the government feel you are searching for inappropriate things. Sounds crazy, but if you look, many people have leaked log files from AOL and other search engines that show you what people are looking for.

Check this out, and realize that it is still happening today!

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e...ta_scandal

Cheers,
STeve
i should use that then, i have some dodgy searches. Tongue
LOL!! BigSmile

I think we've all got our "secret searches".. hehe
(07-15-2011, 03:06 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]i should use that then, i have some dodgy searches. Tongue

(07-15-2011, 02:04 PM)Bring4th_Steve Wrote: [ -> ]It's called StartPage.com. They actually include Google in their own search results, so it is as good as using Google. However, the big difference is that they don't collect your search queries or your IP information! So you are basically anonymous when you search.
Good to know, thanks!