Bring4th

Full Version: Time is not speeding up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have decided it is not true. I do not notice time speeding up, but what I do notice is more crap to be done in the same day, more tasks to accomplish in the same hours. This is a result of the "machine" of society, the technology that we praise like a god, replacing the natural way of things, separating us from our connection to nature/planet/god/inner self. If you were to ask a person in the rainforest if time has sped up, they would ask what you mean. Ask a person in the workplace and they will say heck yeah. This is a result of more technology heaped upon us, more crap we need to do, more laws, more rules, less simplicity.

If you sit back and think about it, put yourself in a position outside the system, do you really think it would seem as though time sped up? Go sit in a room for a whole day without any input or entertainment and see if time instead slows down for you. Our concept of time speeding up is simply too much crap to do in the same amount of time we have always had available. How much "stuff" can be heaped upon us before we say "that's enough"?

I hear folks say "how did we make it before the cell phone?" or "we did just fine before these phones". More gadgets, more steps, more distractions, more entertainment, more addictions. And we know that time flies when we are having fun.

Rant over BigSmile

3DMonkey

So much to do. So little time.
Dropped out,of the rat race, 10 years ago, time indeed slows down, everything is relative.
(09-20-2011, 02:52 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]I have decided it is not true. I do not notice time speeding up, but what I do notice is more crap to be done in the same day, more tasks to accomplish in the same hours. This is a result of the "machine" of society, the technology that we praise like a god, replacing the natural way of things, separating us from our connection to nature/planet/god/inner self. If you were to ask a person in the rainforest if time has sped up, they would ask what you mean. Ask a person in the workplace and they will say heck yeah. This is a result of more technology heaped upon us, more crap we need to do, more laws, more rules, less simplicity.

If you sit back and think about it, put yourself in a position outside the system, do you really think it would seem as though time sped up? Go sit in a room for a whole day without any input or entertainment and see if time instead slows down for you. Our concept of time speeding up is simply too much crap to do in the same amount of time we have always had available. How much "stuff" can be heaped upon us before we say "that's enough"?

I hear folks say "how did we make it before the cell phone?" or "we did just fine before these phones". More gadgets, more steps, more distractions, more entertainment, more addictions. And we know that time flies when we are having fun.

Rant over BigSmile
I was thinking this exact reason just last week! I was talking to my Dad about it, and I gave the example of when part of our town lost power for the whole day and late into the night and no one knew what to do with themselves because no electricity or technology worked.. Except for mobile phones of course but yeah time went really really slow.. time has not sped up people just have more ways of passing the time no and wasting time.. Hopefully this will end some day...

I think that a person might only feel that time speeds up if he barely lives the in the present. Our modern society have grown into a mentality of worriying about the future and the past, like bank accounts etc. And this causes people like business men to agree with the idea that time speeds up. I dont know.
What is time?
I'm seeing the opposite. I don't have much to do, and this affords me the opportunity to live in oneness as much as I can. I keep a reality where I have a lot of free time. I don't take on new unnecessary work, and I'm not so attached to outcomes, expectations.

If we feel we are too busy, it's the vibration we are holding, and attracting "too busy" to us.

(09-20-2011, 02:52 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]I have decided it is not true. I do not notice time speeding up, but what I do notice is more crap to be done in the same day, more tasks to accomplish in the same hours. This is a result of the "machine" of society, the technology that we praise like a god, replacing the natural way of things, separating us from our connection to nature/planet/god/inner self. If you were to ask a person in the rainforest if time has sped up, they would ask what you mean. Ask a person in the workplace and they will say heck yeah. This is a result of more technology heaped upon us, more crap we need to do, more laws, more rules, less simplicity.

Rant over BigSmile

(09-20-2011, 02:52 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]And we know that time flies when we are having fun.
What does this say about our relationship to time? Not only is it relative, but that people are realizing it doesn't matter anymore. I don't think time is speeding up as much as people are understanding that our relationship to time is unneeded and burdensome. Hence our experiences are 'quickening'. We are having more fun, being in the moment, enjoying what we do, learning from our catalyst. This is how time is sped up exponentially, until we realize there is no 'time' to be in, there is only being, and states of being.

I understand your statement that technology has sped up the way we communicate, travel and interact, but this still does not speed up our 'experience' of such things. If you are waiting and a loved one is in the hospital; your not sure if they're going to die or not. That is going to be the longest wait for a phone call you can imagine.

Our experience as such is the important factor here to understand in relation to time, not the technological processes which determine the nature of our interactions.

So is time speeding up, or slowing down? It's not objective. It's marker to tell us how we are experiencing, i.e. utilizing catalyst.

Was time supposed to be "speeding up?"
time has sped up. and i do nothing all day. you should try that Pickle. take it as an experiment. Tongue
(09-21-2011, 12:50 AM)SomaticDreams Wrote: [ -> ]I understand your statement that technology has sped up the way we communicate, travel and interact, but this still does not speed up our 'experience' of such things. If you are waiting and a loved one is in the hospital; your not sure if they're going to die or not. That is going to be the longest wait for a phone call you can imagine.

My baby was born @25 weeks, after the water broke @23 weeks. During her stay in NICU I was fully aware of time "slowing down" in my personal space. What was good about the experience was taking care of the kids while my wife was in the hospital. I stayed with the children instead of working. I really ejoyed the experience of being with the kids full time.

As it is now, my job sucks all of my time away. This is something I have seen others complain about online, more stuff added to their daily routine, without any pay increase to go along with it. I watch this happen at work. We have more than twice as much routine added to the same 8 hours as we had 5 years ago. Another angle is how they get rid of a position only to add those duties to another position, doubling up what they have to accomplish in the same amount of time. This is a continual process, and it stands out to me. My first awareness of this appeared to be a way to stop contemplation or thought. Just forcing the people to become more like machines or else be replaced by machines. (I work in automation and robotics).

I see it as more of a forced perception.
I attempted to discuss similar ideas here.. http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=3173

You can only move from one moment to the next, but the variability that we experience seems to be the amount of unconscious information that is coming at us at any one time. I feel the catalyst that needs to be addressed on a societal level as a felt presence or a flow of information coming through you, and more of it is becoming conscious to the societal mind. When people are forced to confront an aspect of the unconscious, it stirs the mind as activity that is happening within. So the more 'events' that are experienced as discussed in that link, we experience the feeling of a speeding up of 'time'.

Even someone who is centered and isn't influenced by the societal mind can feel this, because they are naturally connected to it just by being here.
time slows down when i make it slow down too. time is elastic. it's like in Star Trek: Insurrection where that woman makes time slow down. and Picard's like wtf.
but it's speeding up too. years go by like a whoosh at the same time it feels like nothing changes.

LOL...at 54, time is speedin by pretty damn fast. When the friends of your youth start passing on, its like time grabs another gear and floors it.

I figure to see them again, but not yet :o)

Richard