Bring4th

Full Version: What You Eat Affects Your Genes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beat...xpression/

Quote:"Tiny bits of genetic material, called microRNAs, can make their way from the food you eat into your blood stream, and change how your genes are expressed, according to a new study. A team of Chinese scientists found tiny bits of white rice microRNA floating around in people's blood after a meal. When they looked at what was happening on a cellular level, they found that the microRNAs were changing gene expression, decreasing levels of a receptor that filters out LDL (bad) cholesterol. When the scientists gave mice both rice and a chemical to block the microRNAs, their levels of that receptor returned to normal---showing that the microRNAs weren't just swimming through the blood stream, but acting on genes in the animals' cells."

No more white rice for me! ;¬)
is brown rice ok? how come chinese don't seem to have too much cholesterol.
You are what you eat. Wuah wuahhhh.
Yup. What Pickle and I have been sayin'.
I should turn into a green tea plant any minute now.... Blush
I like to joke saying Pepsi and Coca Cola is "holy water nurtured from the ancient chinese cola-springs, only containing the touch of Heavens". I wonder if I repeat it enough times, will it become true? Smile

Jokes aside, ever since I have been introduced to LOO, I really stopped eating heavy meat-based stuff. And when I do, I always say thanks to it.
I thought this science had always been out there. I guess the simple idea behind "you are what you eat" can be broken down to eating live food or dead food. Dead food not being optimal for production or regeneration of life. The population has evolved to a diet based on dead food, while the quality of physical condition has continually gone downhill. Who cares if they can keep you alive longer if you are forced to rely on someone else to tie your shoes.

I understand that people use the text in LOO and other sources as an explanation for the "exit offer" of sickness and death. Justification being that the soul chose that destiny. I guess when the majority of the system will be sickness, healthy bodies to choose from will be in short supply. Can you see the two sides of the image? The concept of the soul choosing a body predisposed to a cancer end can be likened to buying a new car with the only options for automobiles being detroit built gas hogs with motors that only last 50k miles. You take what you can get.
And what would this say about GM food?

I hope they continue this research. I really want to know what the implications of other foods beyond white rice might have, on both ends of the spectrum (living plant matter to dead animal matter).
I found a doc online on the life force difference between gmo and organic. Will look for it when I get home.
There is an entire emerging science on this called nutrigenomics, which is itself a subset of epigenetics. In a nutshell, all that mumbo-jumbo we heard about our genes being unchangeable is wrong.

One subtle point of interest here is that different foods appear to have different effects on different people. For example, it was recently identified that human beings fall into three distinct categories of "gut enterotypes". A gut enterotype refers to certain groups of beneficial bacteria that tend to colonize together in the gut. These bacteria are responsible for how we digest and assimilate our food. In turn, the food we eat nourishes and sustains different kinds of bacteria.

Another observation: "We are what we eat" at least as much as "we eat what we are". That is to say, I think there is a lot that can be said for intention and perspective when it comes to diet. There is more to our food than physical nutrients.
i stopped eating organic cuz it's so expensive and a hassle. and when you fall off the wagon it's hard to get back, you can't eat crap like candy and hard liquer on an organic diet, unless you make allowances. :/ but it's better. i felt better eating organic.
(09-22-2011, 09:14 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]You are what you eat. Wuah wuahhhh.
Or you eat what you are Huh (if you like Rammstein's version of gruesome stories...) Confused
(09-22-2011, 05:43 AM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beat...xpression/
Quote:"Tiny bits of genetic material, called microRNAs, can make their way from the food you eat into your blood stream, and change how your genes are expressed, according to a new study. A team of Chinese scientists found tiny bits of white rice microRNA floating around in people's blood after a meal. When they looked at what was happening on a cellular level, they found that the microRNAs were changing gene expression, decreasing levels of a receptor that filters out LDL (bad) cholesterol. When the scientists gave mice both rice and a chemical to block the microRNAs, their levels of that receptor returned to normal---showing that the microRNAs weren't just swimming through the blood stream, but acting on genes in the animals' cells."

In the captive media we suffer in Western world, the "science breakingnews" thing it's like the "public opinion", "statistics" and "new study reveals" things. CAREFUL with it, folks Smile

Most important info about them uses to be WHO is spreading it, which COMPANY works for, HOW MUCH ROI expect to get and, if applies, which other "news" ir trying to COUNTERBALANCE, attack or discredit.
there is nothing unreliable in the above information. there was even more discovered in that regard. a specie of sea mollusk which lives in marshes in great britain was discovered to recently have developed photosynthesis, taking over genes from the algae which had been its food for millions of years.
(09-23-2011, 12:21 PM)unity100 Wrote: [ -> ]there is nothing unreliable in the above information. there was even more discovered in that regard. a specie of sea mollusk which lives in marshes in great britain was discovered to recently have developed photosynthesis, taking over genes from the algae which had been its food for millions of years.
Our DNA can change of course; is changing these days actually. I believe that. And science is necessary, for Truth as much as for Justice, I think.

I was just thinking in Namaste's sacrifice over rice! :-) Rice is good! BigSmile

Many times, science news are obnoxiously biased (especially if there's food, illness o machinery involved), but that doesn't make science nor news wrong. Wink