Bring4th

Full Version: The Matrix of the Body
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Matrix of the Body: Homeostasis

[Image: VyaMX.jpg]

We are now entering deeper waters. As you all know, the remaining archetypes were not covered in very great detail by the Law of One group, so there is much more which bears saying and much less in the Ra Material upon which to reliably lean. Any commentary on this archetype is welcome, as it is a very complex one, whose symbols have not all revealed themselves to me.

This card, being the first of the Body Cycle, is an appropriate opportunity to consider the essence of a bodily experience. The Mind Cycle focused primarily on a few major aspects of a mental experience: the creative projection (the orb), the veil between the conscious and unconscious, the mind's intimate relationship with the physical illusion (the realm of the body), and the love affair between the conscious and unconscious mind. In the Mind Cycle, we have a description of the nature of the mind, as well as a description of the mind's relationship to itself. This description revolves primarily around knowing and projecting. Because Ra says in 81.14 that "all the archetypes of the body [must be seen] to be a mirror image of the thrust of the activity of the mind," we know that the body is not only a creature of the mind, it is also the mirror image of the mind. With this fact firmly in hand, it is evident that the description of the nature and self-relation of the body involves perception and manifestion. The Mind Cycle pertains to the ideas we have about who we are and what our world is, our doubts and beliefs, the concepts we form about our experience. The Body Cycle, on the other hand, pertains to the habits we create in our interaction with the manifest reality, our day-to-day action choices, their influences and effects.

The matrix of the space within which concepts are formed is a blank and unmoving space. The stillness of mind is the perfect backdrop for clear perception of a new concept. Conversely, the matrix of the space within which concepts are tested and experienced is a bustling space bursting with rhythmically moving content. Endless yet stable activity is the perfect backdrop to test a concept by redirecting the flow of motion. Imagine putting your hand in a waterfall to create patterns in the falling water. This is how the matrix of the body receives its potentiator.

I call this card Homeostasis because this is the state in which we find the physical universe (our bodies included) before any conscious actions are performed through a bodily vehicle. The concept of homeostasis is most readily visible in the scales that the female (who, remember, always represents an unconscious aspect of your mind/body/spirit complex) holds in perfect balance. Her sword is drawn ready to strike at anything that might tip those scales, which implies that the manifest reality always moves in the direction of greatest balance. Thus, if the scales should for some reason tip one way, it is only a matter of time before they tip the other way. This is the stability of the matrix of the body, further depicted by the cushion upon which her feet rest (compare this cushion to the crescent beneath the Empress' feet). The three symbols of the sword, the scales and the cushion represent three of the foundational principles of the physical universe as we experience it in manifestation: (1) the world is inertiatic, meaning that it is in perpetual but stable motion, (2) the world is karmic, meaning that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, (3) the world is homeostatic, meaning that it returns to balance after it is acted upon.

Perpetual but stable motion underlies the concept of inertia, which states that everything moves in a straight line unless acted upon by another object. The concept of motion is expressed in all of the creatures which surround the female figure. The lion and sphinx are both walking (in lock-step, mind you) and the turtle is flying. Yet despite the perpetual motion of the matrix of the body, there is stability: for the female figure rests her feet upon a sturdy cushion and sits upon a sturdy throne. The stability of this inertiatic realm is affected by the balanced scales which she holds: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When the scale is tipped, the sword will strike. Furthermore, the figure is blindfolded, which suggests that she does not care who tips the scales or how, she only cares that balance is achieved and she will do what she must to regain that balance.

The scale is in the left hand and the sword is in the right hand, indicating that this archetype, when acting as a function, has balance/imbalance as an input and reward/retribution as an output.

The curvature of the sword may suggest that the STS path typically incurs a much more wrathful relationship with the matrix of the body than the STO path, suggesting that STS entities tend to tip the scales more vigorously and therefore pay for it a bit more severely.

The serpent upon her brow indicates that she knows exactly how to maintain herself without any help from her conscious counterpart. Consider that your heart knows how to beat without you willing it to beat, you know how to sleep and dream without learning how to do it. This is the blind wisdom of Homeostasis.

The Lion and Sphinx walk in lock-step, though in the second picture on this webpage, they walk in reverse-lock step. Either way, there is clearly a kind of unison between the lion and the sphynx. The meaning of these figures is not easily determined from the notion of Homeostasis alone, but we are fortunate that these creatures will revisit us in Archetypes 10 and 11. Nevertheless, Ra describes the sphynx as a "time-full" symbol, a concept underscored by its very composition: it is part man, part bird, part bull, part lion. These four parts each represent an element and a season of the year: spring, summer, autumn, winter. The sphynx, then, is a kind of keeper of time cycles. The lion, on the other hand, is full of energy and power, but also aggression and destruction. The fact that the sphynx stands upon the lion's back suggests that the sphynx somehow directs the lion, which is reminiscent of the creator-creation mirror relationship between the mind (in the sphynx's place) and the body (in the lion's place). Following this line of reasoning, the winged turtle can be seen as representative of the spirit as it slowly makes its flight in the repetetive and lengthy annals of unpotentiated space/time. Having drawn relationships between the creatures and the mind, body and spirit complexes, I will immediately take them back by reminding the reader that there is surely more meaning to these creatures than this -- as we will see in Archetypes 10 and 11.

The winged turtle troubles me. It is probably one of two symbols on this card on which I cannot get more than the most ephemeral of grasps. In Brandy Rox's Archetype website, she interprets all of the creatures on this card as signifying one of the seven energy centers. The alignment is thus:

Red Ray - lion
Orange Ray - sphynx
Yellow Ray - seated female figure
Green Ray - messenger
Blue Ray - sword (possibly including the scale)
Indigo Ray - winged turtle
Violet Ray - fan

While this interpretation does not resonate with me, it is difficult to find any alternate interpretation for the fan above her head.

My best guess about the three moving creatures is that they ought to symbolize that in the bodily matrix which moves: the lion can be seen as the vigorous material motions which constantly swing through the physical universe (the moving planets, the rolling waves, the bursting volcano, the blowing wind, etc.); the sphynx can be seen as the cyclic pattern or laws of nature which govern these brute material events; the winged turtle can be seen as the ever-changing karmic bonds which and which weigh down your spirit, keeping it within the physical illusion, slowing its flight.

The messenger behind the female figure is bears the markings of Maat, the Egyptian deity of truth. Maat is a female deity with wings upon her arms and a feather upon her head. The difference between this messenger and the deity herself is that the messenger wears not one feather, but two. Thus, this messenger from Maat is a being which brings the message of unity disguised as a message of polarity. The wings are extended and protect the female figure from the lion and the sphynx which suggests that incarnation within this physical reality is more frightening than dangerous, for there are divine principles which secretly guard us for their own higher purposes.

I have no clue what the fan means, apart from Brandy's suggestion of the violet ray energy center.
[Image: NYN0i.jpg][Image: gadMS.jpg]

and so we arrive at Card 8, which is the Matrix of the Body. It begins a new cycle of 7.

this is all that Ra says specifically about this card:

"In the body the matrix may be seen as Balanced Working or Even Functioning. Note that here the matrix is always active with no means of being inactive."

I like the choice of the word Homeostasis to reference this card. I will again bring in the Thoth card representing this energy/archetype as an alternative lens to uncovering the meaning behind this card.

[Image: y9jy1.jpg]

in all three cards, the most common and obvious feature is the scales and the sword. One might leap to the conclusion that this card is referencing the astrological sign Libra, and that is most clear in the Rider-Waite card by calling it 'Justice'. But Ra talks about the corruption of the original tarot by astrological/prognosticative forces, so we should be careful about bringing in that system to analyse what we have before us. The Major Arcana are complete in themselves; and need no outside support.

so let us begin at the source:

Card 8 is the Matrix of the Body. In that, it shares something in common with the Magician (matrix of the mind) and the Devil (matrix of the spirit). Ra exhorts us to study the cards in groups of 3 once we have mastered the basic meanings. As a mind/body/spirit complex, we are interwoven at all levels; and each matrix does not stand absolutely alone; they influence and work on each other.

at the most basic level, the matrix of the body is the Physical Body itself; it is the vessel or instrument through which we experience this 3d reality. And what it seeks most is a sense of homeostasis, or balance, with its environment. When it is hot, our bodies sweat to maintain a core temperature, when it is cold, we shiver and burn fat to raise the heat level. When we have exercised, we seek food so we can replenish the energies that we have expended. The physical instrument is programmed for self-survival, and self-maintenance at a somewhat pre-programmed level. The Body tips the scales back to level when the environment or circumstance changes.

a consequence of this 'habit' is that we can become prisoners of the body; we seek comfort and safety and ease, sometimes at the expense of becoming STS oriented when resources are scarce.

another correspondance of the matrix is that it is an aspect of the root or red ray chakra. As such, any blockages here can limit the energies that can climb the kundalini ladder; if we feel threatened, the red ray closes up, and catalyst is only seen in terms of fight/flight; our consciousness becomes extremely primal, almost violent. Maybe this is the sword??

we can work with the body at its genetic level with the following advice from Ra:

"The body is a creature of the mind’s creation. It has its biases. The biological bias must be first completely understood and then the opposite bias allowed to find full expression in understanding."

"It is necessary to know your body well."

as always: know yourself. But also know that you as a being are inhabiting a 'physical instrument' that has its own programming and habits, ones that are distinct from you. In that way, it is almost like a pet that you have to understand and work with; you can't 'force' your body to do something it doesn't want to.

and that's all I can say about the Matrix of the Body.

peace

Ok I think I'm finally starting to see things by comparing them in sets of three and seeing a progression...

I was thinking about this card last night and almost came up with what you did word for word plenum..and my heart resonated with it. I don't believe I had ever read this thread.

Also I think this was mentioned but I think the veil is the veil and requires us to put forward more effort in order to uncover the true nature of the discomforting catalytic experiences of the body.

I see it very much as viewing experiences, maybe even judging experiences of the body as pain and pleasure, and feeling attacked almost by the painful ones hence the possession of the sword.
For what it's worth, my take on the card.

There are three steps. The depiction is of a body in our yellow-ray 3rd density environment because it is seated on the third step.

There is the promise of the soon-to-be green-ray 4th density body. See standing on the forth step the winged figure-- the sphinx. The lion is on the third step (3d creature), the sphinx is on the fourth (4d creature). Right now the lion is the “active” body. The card probably depicts the possibility of the “dual-activated” body.

Behind the body is a winged figure (a little person) who views the seated figure. The winged figure is not blindfolded. I posit that the little winged figure is representational of the "background" or subconscious intelligence that runs the body because it is behind the seated figure. This intelligence protects the body (wings like arms around the seated figure). While "we" incarnate folks cannot "see" the winged figure behind us (the innate body intelligence) it can see us.

The winged figure’s wings point down toward the throne. Spirit materialized in matter.

The winged figure’s wings point at the lion. Spirit materialized in 3d (yellow ray) matter. (As opposed to pointing at the sphinx, or 4th ray matter.)

The body is strong. See sword. See the lion.

The body is balanced. See scales.

The body is protected. See clothing, but also somewhat vulnerable (see naked arms). (See also the fan above as a form of protection too.)

The inner little person intelligence is being guided by spirit (winged turtle above its head). Note that the winged turtle is not ahead of the seated figure, or above the seated figure. This guidance is “from behind.” It is a supporting role, not an active guiding role (which we know is properly given to the next card, Wisdom/Hermit and its native earthy Ego which actually leads the body).

The winged turtle is not in flight, but stands on the feathers on the little figure’s head. So this is a “weightless” object, in other words it is a “spirit” icon.

The spirit winged turtle’s wings point down toward the seated body figure. Spirit materialized in a body. It’s a turtle, not a bird. So this spiritual characteristic is slow and plodding, not speedy like a more traditional bird would depict.

The sword is curved, which means the body can hurt itself. The seated figure is vulnerable to its own sword. This may also represent those times when catalyst is being “processed by the body” (generally not a good thing because the mind failed to process the catalyst) then this is the beginning of self-inflicted illness. Note also that this sword is in the figure’s right hand. Usually the right hand is a service-to-other hand and you would expect a “weapon” sword or “willed” action to appear in the figure’s left hand. So this sword is not about attack. I posit that it indicates a physical sacrifice of sorts. A person, in service to other, might end up hurting themselves while advancing that desire. Parents toil in two jobs for their kids, spouses take care of sick loved ones even to exhaustion, etc. Plausible explanation for the curve?
I will add the fan, or the Ostriche feather itself represented the Goddess Maat who was the personification of Truth, Justice and the Essential Harmony of the universe. The female archetype also seems to hold a scale, sword, and is blindfolded just as Lady Justice (again justice and harmony):

[Image: lady-justice_thumb.jpg]

The other symbolism is the fan can represent the "breath" of life.

The sword also stands out to me as very significant - because the natural instincts of the body is survival at its foundation; it experiences limits and pain - thus there is a natural "fear" which means guarding the balance/order/homeostasis of the body at a high standard.
Hello Dear Other-Selves,

Understanding of the Matrix of the Body is very important, as it facilitate/propels an understanding of followings cards, especially Potentiator of the Body.

To what already was said I would like to add, that for me this card represented always, above all, a structure / hierarchy. It is expressed in the location of each Being at the card – one on the another/ above it (smaller on a larger, etc. – standard “hierarchy gradation”).
Since Body Path should be seen as an Opposite to the Mind path, therefore Matrix of the Body possess qualities of The High Priestess:

- unmoving – which I understand as inescapable from it’s own structure/hierarchy that is rigid (as hierarchy must be preserved/included for body/matter to exist at all).
- possesses all – within this may be included all that is possible within third-density/Creaturehood to manifest and it states/define the “build” of such manifestation.
- awaits to be reached – from such point of view this card may represent not only “laws” and “Qualities/Attributes” of manifestation (hierarchy/structure and it’s relations) but also raw material of third-density/Creaturehood It-Self – Flesh/Matter – which further translated would be as chemical bounding, atoms, particles, as well as energy (matter = energy).

Beyond above, I think “Body Path” also – at least in some way / to some degree – refers to the entire “physical side” of the “Beingness within third-density”.
I’m writing about “physical creation” and it’s rules/possibilities as well as constrictions/impossibility. I cannot point at this time which aspect of Archetypes of Body Path contains/indicates them, but without it, “The Great Way” would not be complete (in my, more intuitively than rational, opinion).

There’s something that most likely is a matter of “properties of given deck of cards”, but on card eighth of Great Arcanum that was placed/used in fourth Book of The Law of One, I can see there in total seven Beings (in such “hierarchy”/order):

1. Lion
2. Humanoid Being behind the “Lion’s derriere”, that seems to be stuck behind the leg of a throne and the pillar at the back
3. Sphinx
4. Human-like Being with a wings that protects seated Female
5. Right next to the head of above mentioned Being, there’s a contour of another, similar in shape and size Being (like Twin). Besides there’s definitely something that touches “Sphinx’s derriere” – I would say foot-like shape, but it really seems as Someone is grabbing the Sphinx
6. Seated Female Human-Being
7. “Turtle” with wings

A I wrote, it might be a matter of this set of Cards, but those cards were included into The Law of One, therefore they’re always a “point-of-reference” for me personally, to every other “deck of Cards” I've/am/will encounter (-ing in one instance).

All I have Best in me for You
- regarding “The Fan”. I’m able to offer only one interpretation.

It is a Physical Star, an Idea that sets highest standards for that what is possible within physical reality. An “Idea” that is always pursued but never reached; “Physical Star” that presents best, possible manifestation of Spirit aspect within physical.

It is bended over an entire “variety” of the Matrix of the Body, therefore it possess at the same time limiting properties, that “ends that, what is possible within physical” – nevertheless it is a “Mighty” and “Impressive” “end”/Idea/Star-Manifestation.

Hello,

I would like to add something to my previous interpretation of the „Fan”. I’m still perceiving it as “Physical Star” and it is meaningful interpretation for me personally.

However, I’ve found interesting site, where Egyptian hieroglyphs were explained – among them was a “Lotus Flower”, that is depicted very similarly as the “Fan” in/at the Matrix of the Body:
[Image: symbol-lotus.png]
It is explained as: “Hieroglyphic Symbol for the Lotus flower (water lily) symbolizing rebirth and regeneration.”

Source: Egyptian Hieroglyphics

The lion on the third step and the sphinx on the fourth step reminds me of Ra and Q'uo's notion that fourth density is the refining of the rough-hewn sculpture of third density. That is, a sphinx could be thought of as a super lion, a further development of the self as attained in third density. I have deducted that since according to Q'uo the third density has a higher potential for change in consciousness, we can get closer and closer to our super-lion/sphinx state as achieved through spiritual development. Having an active approach to spirituality exponentially increased the results as we go further.
Some thoughts to add to the discussion:

The Matrix of the Body represents “clear seeing”. The ability to see things as they are, undistorted, full of the Love of the Living One.

Attachment to our thoughts, ideologies, the people in our lives, our feelings, past, emotions, objects in our lives, all these things put us out of harmony. They take us further away from our Being. "What you do takes you further away".

These things in and of themselves are not harmful. Rather, it is our attachments to them that are. Jean Yves Leloup says, “we were not created to possess, but to ‘be with’...” The distortion of possessing is what causes the imbalance. In reality, nothing, not even our bodies, can be owned.

The work of becoming harmonious is the work of balancing the Mind. With clarity of mind, comes clarity of perception and balanced thinking, which in turn creates a balanced physical body.

Recall that the etheric body is responsible for shaping the physical and that our thinking likewise affects the etheric. A balanced mind allows for a correspondingly balanced etheric body which helps maintain a state of equilibrium within our own physical bodies.
(01-03-2012, 10:31 AM)Plenum Wrote: [ -> ][Image: NYN0i.jpg][Image: gadMS.jpg]

and so we arrive at Card 8, which is the Matrix of the Body.  It begins a new cycle of 7.

"In the body the matrix may be seen as Balanced Working or Even Functioning. Note that here the matrix is always active with no means of being inactive."
My question is why did Ra say "the matrix is always active with no means of being inactive" when referring to the Matrix of the Body? It didn't jump out at me that movement was depicted in the card. Is it because in Ra's tarot the platform upon which everything sit has four wheels on it? Even with the wheels, how do we know it's moving? I wonder if it has something to do with the fan. Maybe that fan shaped object is not really a fan, but some type of propulsion device, for it is a bit weird looking as a fan and is bending forward unlike a fan.
I googled about the meaning of fan in ancient Egypt, the answers seem indicate fan represent air, being active, thus life, and life giving. Maybe that's the basis for Ra's statement about "no means of being inactive"...
My incomplete studium of the Tarot is a time ago and this is a good occasion to continue it.

(10-04-2011, 07:12 PM)JustLikeYou Wrote: [ -> ]The Matrix of the Body: Homeostasis

You have already perfect shown up all the possible interpretations.

Ra 79.20 Wrote:RA I am Ra.
The Matrix of Mind is that from which all comes. It is unmoving yet is the activator in potentiation of all mind activity.
The Potentiator of the Mind is that great resource which may be seen as the sea into which the consciousness dips ever deeper and more thoroughly in order to create, ideate, and become more self-conscious.
The Significator of each mind, body, and spirit may be seen as a simple and unified concept.
The Matrix of the Body may be seen to be a reflection in opposites of the mind; that is, unrestricted motion.
The Potentiator of the Body then is that which, being informed, regulates activity.
The Matrix of the Spirit is difficult to characterize since the nature of spirit is less motile.
The energies and movements of the spirit are, by far, the most profound, yet, having more close association with time/space, do not have the characteristics of dynamic motion.
Thusly one may see the Matrix as the deepest darkness and the Potentiator of Spirit as the most sudden awakening, illuminating, and generative influence.
This is the description of Archetypes One through Nine before the onset of influence of the co-Creator or sub-Logos’ realization of free will.

But in newer Tarot it is not only justice, it is strength and force too.
Only the body can give something like a physical force opposite to the mind.
So this can be seen as the possibility to experience the polarity of the mind / body.
(07-12-2021, 08:31 PM)Learner Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2012, 10:31 AM)Plenum Wrote: [ -> ][Image: NYN0i.jpg][Image: gadMS.jpg]

and so we arrive at Card 8, which is the Matrix of the Body.  It begins a new cycle of 7.

My question is why did Ra say "the matrix is always active with no means of being inactive" when referring to the Matrix of the Body? It didn't jump out at me that movement was depicted in the card. Is it because in Ra's tarot the platform upon which everything sit has four wheels on it? Even with the wheels, how do we know it's moving? I wonder if it has something to do with the fan. Maybe that fan shaped object is not really a fan, but some type of propulsion device, for it is a bit weird looking as a fan and is bending forward unlike a fan.
I googled about the meaning of fan in ancient Egypt, the answers seem indicate fan represent air, being active, thus life, and life giving. Maybe that's the basis for Ra's statement about "no means of being inactive"...

The reason why Ra says the matrix is always active with no means of being inactive simply means (to my understanding) that it always is creating and recreating.
The mental complex or the matrix of the mind is consciousness, self awareness that objective mind that draws identifications, stories, etc from one experience to the next and there is no means to becoming inactive as consciousness cannot be inactive as it is infinite. The matrix of the body is the same and what is done on a physical level within our bodies is also done metaphysically and from plane to plane as we have many bodies and subtle bodies as does this apply to the matrix of the spirit which the spirit resides with us now though maybe not realized and it resides with our many bodies and into infinity. This is Life, eternal Life; all three complexes. And this is one reason Ra refers to these as complexes (mind complex, body complex and spirit complex).