Bring4th

Full Version: The Catalyst of the Body
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Catayst of the Body: The Wheel of Fortune

[Image: 21xT0.jpg]

We have but a single quotation from Ra on the Catalyst of the Body, the Wheel of Fortune:

Questioner: Going back to the previous session, picking up on the tenth archetype, which is the Catalyst of the Body, the Wheel of Fortune represents interaction with other-selves. Is this a correct statement? Ra: I am Ra. This may be seen to be a roughly correct statement in that each catalyst is dealing with the nature of those experiences entering the energy web and vibratory perceptions of the mind/body/spirit complex. The most carefully noted addition would be that the outside stimulus of the Wheel of Fortune is that which offers both positive and negative experience.

As all of the Archetypes in the Body Cycle reflect their counterparts in the Mind Cycle, the Catalyst of the Body is a "reflection in opposites" of the Catalyst of the Mind. Whereas the Catalyst of the Mind, The Empress, depicts the revealing of the feminine mind (previously unknown thoughts - the unconscious mind) to the masculine mind (the conscious mind), leaving the positive/negative polarity interpretation to the judgment of the masculine mind (as depicted by the crescent moon beneath her feet); the Catalyst of the Body, The Wheel, depicts the impressing of the masculine body (unavoidable perceptions) upon the feminine body (the sensory mechanism) which carries a polarized charge without the need of interpretation. In plain English: your thoughts can be interpreted as you like to be preferred or not preferred, but comfort and discomfort aren't exactly up to your whimsy -- at least not until the much later stages of adepthood. The Empress presents herself to the masculine mind who must be keen enough and attentive enough to see her. The Wheel thrusts himself upon the feminine body who must be receptive enough and balanced enough to receive him. The Empress offers information and allows the conscious mind to give her information polarity (the Two Paths card will show how this choice is offered). The Wheel, on the other hand, offers already polarized perceptions in the form of pleasure/pain, comfort/discomfort, fortune/misfortune. The mind knows that these perceptions are without inherent polarity, but the body cannot but feel these as polarized sensations by their very nature.

I have suggested in a previous thread that Archetype 9, the Potentiator of the Body, can be thought of as the theoretical perspective which uses its storehouse of knowledge to experiment in the realm of manifestation: the potentiator of the body consciously and deliberately chooses a manner of acting, thereby giving the matrix of the body a "potential" (here we must imagine potential as a separation of polarities which was not present beforehand -- consider the meaning of the word "potential" in electromagnetism). Under this interpretation, the Matrix is the system, the mechanism, the Potentiator is the experiment, the tinkering, and the Catalyst is the result, the consequence. Some consequences reveal that the potentiation leads toward harmony (comfort), some consequences reveal that the potentiation leads toward disharmony (discomfort). We can also now also project (by perhaps stating the obvious) that the Experience is the system augmented.

Though I have labelled the Potentiator of the Body the "conscious" aspect of the body in a previous thread, I am wondering if that is not a misnomer. So I shall explain that label. The Potentiator and Catalyst of the Body are both masculine archetypes and, as such, have an activating or impressing tendency. Their movements are not mysterious the way the movements of the feminine archetypes are, they are in plain view. The Potentiator of the Body is that part of you which knows exactly what should be done and how. It has full command of the movements of the body and will take command when the matrix (the mechanism which moves without thinking) needs to be adjusted. The Catalyst of the Body, on the other hand, is the information which impacts your senses and informs you of which parts of the matrix require further potentiation and how effective previous potentiation was.

In my thread concerning the classification definitions, I offered some simplified definitions of the words "Matrix," "Potentiator," "Catalyst," and "Experience:"

Matrix: Significator uninformed
Potentiator: Significator hidden
Catalyst: Significator revealed
Experience: Significator informed.

So let us superimpose these concepts upon the Body Cycle:

The Matrix of the Body is a swirling motion of stuff which has not yet crystalized into an organized system. It is seemingly chaotic and random, and it is without experience of the effects and uses of polarity. The Body which is not present to its own potential simply moves along the path of least resistance. This is the sense in which the Matrix is uninformed.

The Potentiator of the Body is the information which is capable of organizing the motions of the Matrix in order to transform the matrix into an organized and useful system. Until the moment of action, the real impact of this information is simply not known. The Significator is hidden from itself insofar as the purpose of an experiment is the result and not the hypothesis.

The Catalyst of the Body is the consequence of the information, the potential, the polarity, imparted to the Matrix. Now that action has been taken, now that an experiment has been run, the Significator has revealed itself to itself and is aware of the effects of imparting a potential to the Matrix.

The Experience of the Body is the restructuring of the system, the restructuring of the Matrix, to accommodate the potential imparted to the Matrix. Prior to action, the Matrix is in a state of balanced motion. This motion is temporarily thrown out of balance by the action of the Potentiator. The response of the Cataylst rebalances the motion and the Experience settles into a new configuration which accounts for this change.

With this in mind, let us bring the discussion down to earth. In my experience, the Wheel of Fortune presents itself anytime I witness the results of a specific action I have decided to take -- especially if this action is a departure from my old ways of doing things.

I had recently decided to speak my mind with less censorship in order to better communicate myself to others. This represented the creation of a new habit and therefore fell under the Archetypical heading of the Potentiator of the Body. In doing so, I have found that the result is that I sometimes speak before I have gathered sufficient information to provide useful words. This leads to misunderstandings of another kind. I have also found that speaking without censorship has lead to greater respect from others for the information I have to offer. The consequence of my decision to speak without censorship has revealed both positive and negative aspects now that I have given the Matrix this potential. The Matrix has restructured itself to incorporate this new balance and I now have the opportunity to further refine the new Matrix by finding that which is still chaotic and unorganized and potentiating it further.

When I decided to learn how to play guitar, my fingers were sensitive and soft. I gave a potential to the matrix (my fingers) by sitting down with a guitar and plucking. One consequence of this experiment was blisters and sores. The Matrix then restabilized itself by developing callouses on my fingers. Another consequence of this experiment was the production of music. The Matrix then restabilized itself to allow further and more refined music.

Let us now consider the specific symbols:

The Sphynx is an emblem of time, as Ra has pointed out to us. It is composed of parts of four different creatures: man, eagle, bull, lion. These four creatures are representative of the four fixed signs in astrology and they are also representative of the four elements and the four seasons. I take the four seasons to be the major symbolic purpose of these four creatures and the astrological and elemental alignments I take to be a subheading under the seasons. The seasons are obviously a symbol of cyclical time, yet its hind legs are in step, suggesting that cyclical time moves forward. We all know, of course, that time is a spiral: both linear and cyclic. Thus, I take the sphynx to be an emblem of spiraling time. I should also mention that spiraling time can only be experienced in space/time because in time/space there are three dimensions of temporal motion and not just one. Thus, the sphynx refers very specifically to the time aspect of space/time. This makes sense, of course, because the Catalyst of the Body is only experienced in space/time.

The eagle on the sphynx's back has its wings outstretched, as if it has command of the sphynx. The bird represents the mind/body/spirit complex which desires to fly along its path of evolution, rising to greater and greater heights. As the Sun of the spirit is present in the Catalyst of the Mind, offering its protection to the mind, so protection is also offered in the Catalyst of the Body...but it is much more subtle. The Sun reflects its light off everything it touches and is therefore embedded in the content of the Catalyst of the Mind (we can already see how critical a card the Catalyst of the Spirit will be!). The eagle, however, does not directly protect the experiences of the body. It governs the activities of the seasonal yet progressive nature of time, but the sphynx still holds the spear in protection. I assume that this feature is what Ra refers to when he describes the catalyst of the physical world as "random". You'll get what you have coming to you, but how and when are not the subject of a precise science. I also suggest that this aspect of the card depicts the programming of past-life karma into current life catalyst -- as does the Sun in the Empress card.

The spear represents to me the very intentional nature of the catalyst of the Body -- somewhat random though it is. If discomfort is needed, the Sphynx will ward off that which is comfortable. The reverse, of course, would also be true.

The Sphynx stands on a platform which suggests that it is somewhat hidden from the experience itself. The Catalyst proper is, of course, the Wheel (also known as the wheel of karma or the wheel of samsara). What is on the Wheel is what we experience, but this experience is shielded from the greater truth, which is this: life is not a tragedy. Third density experience is closely observed and guarded by higher forces than are evident to you while you are here.

The two figures on the wheel represent, as Ra suggests, positive and negative experience. The figure on the left, the descending figure, is Typhon or Set, a devil. The serpent emerging from its belly reveals that this creature is an avatar of imbalance. It is overweight and is often depicted with an erection, emphasizing its gluttony and lust. The significance of this figure can be seen in the discomfort that finds its way to you. In general, your discomfort is a consequence of your bad habits, which are a consequence of your personal demons. These things fling themselves in your face in order for you see that they are a problem and change your habits -- and hopefully also do some mental and spiritual work to prevent them from returning.

The figure on the right, the ascending figure, is a kind of angel. In my deck, it is Anubis, a clever and beneficent deity. In other decks (notably the deck pictured in the Law of One serious), it is a winged figure with an alien looking face. I don't really know the significance of this face. Regardlessly, this figure represents to me good fortune and comfort, which are signs that you are creating the experience you want and not miscreating an experience you are afraid of. My girl and I got a great deal renting a beautiful house from a wonderful landlord. It fell in our laps at exactly the right time, which tells me that we are doing something right. Thank you, Anubis.

Typhon rides the wheel downward, whereas Anubis climbs up the wheel, using the inertia from Typhon's downward fall. At the very bottom of the wheel, Typhon must pass through the outstretched wings of spirit which lead the experience onward. This winged sphere was often placed above places of initiation in ancient Egyptian culture, symbolizing the purity required for advancement. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of this imagery. The bottom of this wheel represents rock-bottom. Your bad habits will keep dragging you down until you reach a point where you refuse to fall any further and you decide to change your actions and stop attracting the discomfort (imagine heroin addicts, for example). Once you pass through that crucible, the depths of your fall will also determine the heights of your rise, which is why the inertia of the fall is important here. Each angelic experience which brings you untold abundance is a further sign of that what you are doing will ultimately lead you out of the wheel of samsara. A heroin addict may eventually make such a powerful change that what was once a severe weakness toward drugs becomes a deep inner strength which seeks to know the heights of experience only through sober states. This can be described as exiting from the wheel of samsara -- if we will use the term loosely.

Lastly, there are two wheels, which suggest that there is both an inner and an outer meaning to the Catalyst of the Body. Again, I will emphasize the deep connection between mind, body and spirit: every catalyst of the body is a potential catalyst for both the mind and the spirit if you are willing to look at the deeper meanings.
It was interesting to read about your understanding of this Archetype, JustLikeYou.

(11-08-2011, 09:34 PM)JustLikeYou Wrote: [ -> ]In general, your discomfort is a consequence of your bad habits, which are a consequence of your personal demons. These things fling themselves in your face in order for you see that they are a problem and change your habits -- and hopefully also do some mental and spiritual work to prevent them from returning.

I'm not sure that I agree with you here. I agree that mental and spiritual work *might* prevent discomfort from returning, but still not so sure.

I found one Q/A which is very interesting in relation to this Archetype:

Ra, 64.20 Wrote:The questioner may perceive its body complex at this moment. It is experiencing sensations. Most of these sensations or in this case, nearly all of them, are transient and without interest. However, the body is the creature of the mind. Certain sensations carry importance due to the charge or power which is felt by the mind upon the experience of this sensation.

For instance, at this space/time nexus one sensation is carrying a powerful charge and may be examined. This is the sensation of what you call the distortion towards discomfort due to the cramped position of the body complex during this working. In balancing you would then explore this sensation. Why is this sensation powerful? Because it was chosen in order that the entity might be of service to others in energizing this contact.

Each sensation that leaves the aftertaste of meaning upon the mind, that leaves the taste within the memory shall be examined. These are the sensations of which we speak.

There are several interesting points in the above quote. Most interesting are:

1. Most of the sensations are without interest, but some carry importance due to the charge or power which is felt by the mind.

2. The sensation of discomfort is self chosen in order to be of service. (This is what I experience almost always at my work too... I find this most interesting... And that's why I'm not sure that I agree with you that the discomfort is a consequence of my bad habits, which are a consequence of my personal demons. But who knows? This is very intersting.)
Moderator Note: This post and the 3 that follow it were originally part of a conversation that began when Adonai One asked: "Why does the sphinx have a spear?"

[Image: 21xT0.jpg]

is it a prod?

michael430

[deleted]

Unbound

Represents the movement in to the divine force. Notice there is a "devil" on the left, facing downward and thus moving to the bottom of the wheel. There is an "angel" on the right, moving upwards to the top of the wheel.

The Sphinx is actually an ancient symbol for the dual nature of humans being both animal and of higher intelligence. The spear can represent multiple things, however notice the sphinx holds it in its right hand and its right leg is forming a right degree angle with its other leg. Its right side is equipped with protection, but its left side is not, and this also can be seen in that the spear is not pointed directly downwards, it is being aimed above the head of the angel. Although, the head of the angel on the right side is still an "animal head" which suggests that the two different beings represent the polarities as experienced in incarnation, in animal bodies, hence the catalyst of the body.

That being said, the sphinx is well-known for its riddle which one must pass to cross in to the underworld or labyrinth. It is, "What walks on four legs in the morning, two at noon, and three in the evening?"

The correct answer is man, because a man is first born and crawls, then becomes an adult and stands on two, then in old age starts to use a cane. This is also what the wheel represents is the cycle of life and death, of ignorance and knowledge, of light and darkness.

Now, there is another symbolism that can be seen in the spear and that is actually as a parallel to the kundalini. The head of the spear represents the conductive focus, which is the coccyx where the kundalini sits. The kundalini rises when the higher chakras become progressively "clear" but when it finally "rises" it is like a bolt of lightning that actually thrusts down from the top of the head due to the path of least resistence being taken by cosmic intelligent energy as intelligent infinity is contacted.

All of this in relation to the relation of the catalyst of the body: The choice, and the guardian of the choice. The Sphinx represents higher knowledge and awareness, and the spear represents the truth, or rather, the ability to discern the truth.

Riddles are an ancient way of testing one' ability to penetrate the truth of something as riddles must always be read symbolically or metaphorically in some way. The truth is "what has actually happened" so I think the catalyst of the body constantly challenges us to see situations and experiences only for exactly what they are, and if we project horrific or impossible images on to them we will find ourselves sinking to the bottom of the wheel and stopped by the spear of truth.

The truth is not actually any idea of what is most likely or possible to be the "true nature of reality", it is the fact of experiences as they actually happened.

If you consider your own life, and you think of your memories, you can see there is always your interpretation of all your experiences, your internal commentary or judgements, and colourations of experiences by your internal world. There is this, an image or reflection of the experience, and then there is the truth, which is that which actually happened.

I believe the Catalyst of the Body signifies the choice as being paramount to the evolution of humans and all sentient consciousness towards awareness of "the truth", and it is through the truth that we gradually harmonize our inner world with the outer world through the awareness of the way things actually are.

We are forever running the wheel and receiving the catalyst, the challenge of the riddle from the Sphinx, but only when we begin to grasp the truth of things are we able to answer correctly and penetrate the teaching contained within each moment of catalyst.

This whole card, I feel, represents the effort that is involved with the evolution of the self, towards the self and the truth of what is, what was and what shall be.
It's the 10th card right? So it should correspond to the body aspect of solar plexus. Solar plexus is sharp, quick and is in charge. It is self control. The pointed spear could imply this power, the power to keep the inner at bay. I don't think it necessarily matters what way the sphinx is looking. It has the power to control all aspects of your inner nature. By control, I don't mean suppression.. It just puts things in a quarantine until they're fully understood.

Actually, the solar plexus even decides what will pass through your skin. So, people with a naturally strong or a developed solar plexus will have very fair skin.
To the unconscious this card is Chance and Fate. To the conscious this card is Evolution and Destiny. It is neither male nor female. The action is Evolution.

If the Empress offers opportunities that can be chosen (career, mate, school) the Wheel does things to you, seeming without choice. Superficially, this appears to be chance or fate, but in actuality every event that happens to a person is chosen. The wheel shows good events, bad events and neutral events. It also conveys the concept of evolution and of time.

Imagery: Evolution is depicted by the snake (kundalini), the half-human half-animal figure on the Egyptian card, the Sphinx at the top (a shapeshifting image signifying time and advanced evolution) and the winged orb.

Note the devil figure on the left (STS) goes down the wheel, while the transforming part man/part animal/part winged spirit on the right goes up. We evolve. Once we reach a certain point in evolution, we can escape the wheel (the Earth Life School) and be on that platform. The man/lion is the culmination of evolutionary path of our many lives. The man/lion figure holds a spear pointing down. To achieve this ledge (escape from karma) takes effort and possible pain. The part man/beast/winged creature risks being impaled to take that platform.

I also think it is significant that the wheel does not turn. Instead, the figures appear to be crawling around and around the fixed wheel (the spiritual ledge on the top of the wheel would have no purchase if the wheel turned.) The wheel, with its seemingly fickle events and happenings, isn't a tricky apparatus designed to keep us from that platform, instead it is something the figures cling to and get entangled in. We are addicted to all the happenings down here in the Earth Life School. Addicted enough that we continually climb round and round, lifetime after lifetime, unwilling (or unable) to try for the stability and escape of that spiritual ledge. We need to achieve escape velocity.

Also note the winged orb near the bottom of the image. This winged orb also appears in the Hierophant and the Chariot images. Its placement in the image is significant. Both the Chariot and the Wheel are about grand spiritual purposes, so the card image is above the winged orb. On the other hand, the Hierophant is immersed in 3d, so that winged orb is above him.

There are also enough snakes and cobras on the card to suggest that achieving kundalini in the body is also a way to escape the wheel. As I am unfamiliar with the consequences of kundalini raising, I leave that suggestion unexplored.
good analysis ricdaw.

(09-14-2014, 07:37 PM)ricdaw Wrote: [ -> ]I also think it is significant that the wheel does not turn. Instead, the figures appear to be crawling around and around the fixed wheel (the spiritual ledge on the top of the wheel would have no purchase of the wheel turned.) The wheel, with its seemingly fickle events and happenings, isn't a tricky apparatus designed to keep us from that platform, instead it is something the figures cling to and get entangled in.

this isn't me being picky, but isn't the whole function of a wheel to turn?

and JustLikeYou references the inner and the outer wheel - what do you make of those?

(11-08-2011, 09:34 PM)JustLikeYou Wrote: [ -> ]Lastly, there are two wheels, which suggest that there is both an inner and an outer meaning to the Catalyst of the Body. Again, I will emphasize the deep connection between mind, body and spirit: every catalyst of the body is a potential catalyst for both the mind and the spirit if you are willing to look at the deeper meanings.
(09-15-2014, 04:53 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]this isn't me being picky, but isn't the whole function of a wheel to turn?

and JustLikeYou references the inner and the outer wheel - what do you make of those?

I always thought the Wheel turns too (and assumed the figures were clutching to it) until I looked at the odd way it is drawn. It made me rethink the wheel. What if the message is that it looks like a wheel that turns (implying fickle fate) but actually it is fixed and purposeful? Another of those perception/reality mismatches, perhaps?

I think that random Catalyst (the important stuff that we notice the most or which is the most significant to us) is not actually random. I have a belief bias that those are actually planned. A fixed wheel in the picture may be conveying that concept. But I come to my interpretation of the wheel late, so if anyone else has ideas about that, I'm open to them.

I love JustLikeYou's observation and the quote!
I was doing a lot of thinking about the Wheel of Fortune and the snake/kundalini imagery about a month or 2 ago, and then I forgot about it, but here are a couple things worth noting:

Chakra is Sanskrit for 'wheel.' The kundalini raises up from the south pole of the energy system resting at the highest chakra at which it can maintain a balanced state then radiating out in all directions to attract catalyst to that locus which can be used for balancing. The chakra at which the kundalini rests is indicative of the level at which the entity understands and experiences the world, it is their 'Wheel of Fortune' in a way.

Here's a look at how Ra explains the workings
of the kundalini:
Quote:49.6[...]We have two types of energy. We are attempting then, as entities in any true color of this octave, to move the meeting place of inner and outer natures further and further along or upward along the energy centers. The two methods of approaching this with sensible method are first, the seating within one’s self of those experiences which are attracted to the entity through the south pole. Each experience will need to be observed, experienced, balanced, accepted, and seated within the individual. As the entity grows in self-acceptance and awareness of catalyst the location of the comfortable seating of these experiences will rise to the new true-color entity. The experience, whatever it may be, will be seated in red ray and considered as to its survival content and so forth.

Each experience will be sequentially understood by the growing and seeking mind/body/spirit complex in terms of survival, then in terms of personal identity, then in terms of social relations, then in terms of universal love, then in terms of how the experience may beget free communication, then in terms of how the experience may be linked to universal energies, and finally in terms of the sacramental nature of each experience.

Meanwhile the Creator lies within. In the north pole the crown is already upon the head and the entity is potentially a god. This energy is brought into being by the humble and trusting acceptance of this energy through meditation and contemplation of the self and of the Creator.

Where these energies meet is where the serpent will have achieved its height. When this uncoiled energy approaches universal love and radiant being the entity is in a state whereby the harvestability of the entity comes nigh.

So lets look at this idea of inner and outer energies meeting. At the bottom of the pillar is a winged disk flanked by serpents, a symbol associated with Horus-Behdety. The meaning of this symbol is heavily debated among egyptologists and occultists alike, but I think it terms of this image at least it would signify the instreamings of cosmic energy (or Shakti if you want to use the nomenclature associated with the Kundalini) which provides the limitless drive behind the up-streaming cosmic energy. The sphinx could then symbolize the mind complex, with it's spear of discernment which can prod those creatures (which could be symbolic of thought forms or held concepts or seated experiences) and shift their weight so the Kundalini can find balance and continue it's progression upwards. on the sphinx's back sits an eagle, symbolic of the shuttle of the spirit, which provides the instreaming inner light which inspires the mind to act.

The mind rests on the platform between on the up-pouring of cosmic energy and the instreaming inner light on a platform that is balanced on the wheel.

These are just my musings naturally and I don't think I've fully fleshed out the connection between the Kundalini and the Wheel of Fortune, but I'd like to share them nonetheless Smile
What a fascinating way to perceive the 1st 4 categories (Matrix, Potentiator, Catalyst and Experience) as aspects of the Significator... very interesting approach. Thanks for the thought thread!

What a fascinating way to perceive the 1st 4 categories (Matrix, Potentiator, Catalyst and Experience) as aspects of the Significator... very interesting approach. Thanks for the thought thread!
I also see the wheel as representing form moving into formlessness endlessly, wherein the movement is the only constant.