Bring4th

Full Version: Hug Machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't know if this is old news for everyone. Came across this linked to autism.
Quote:Researchers are unable to discover why pressure helps an autistic person to relieve his tension. The autistic person feels anxiety and tension over many daily routines, and it is possible that when they focus on a single feeling, they are able to feel a certain calmness. Since autistic persons are constantly tense, they are unable to interact socially. So because of the pressure their tension is abated. Many programs use this hug machine and the effect on autistic persons is being studied.
http://templegrandin.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_machine
http://www.articlesbase.com/mental-healt...39426.html
(12-09-2011, 02:08 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know if this is old news for everyone. Came across this linked to autism.
Quote:Researchers are unable to discover why pressure helps an autistic person to relieve his tension. The autistic person feels anxiety and tension over many daily routines, and it is possible that when they focus on a single feeling, they are able to feel a certain calmness. Since autistic persons are constantly tense, they are unable to interact socially. So because of the pressure their tension is abated. Many programs use this hug machine and the effect on autistic persons is being studied.

Oh, when I saw "hug machine" I thought you were talking about me. Smile

Don't settle for less than the real thing! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this hug machine comes with REAL feelings! Light you can see, love you can feel! Don't wait! Call now! Operators standing by!
(12-09-2011, 02:08 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know if this is old news for everyone. Came across this linked to autism.

There is a movie (true story) with Claire Danes about an autistic woman who helped implement humane treatment of slaughter animals. She discovered that when held tightly between boards, or a tight box, it calmed her, and advocated this for the animals to calm them. (I am relating the story from what friend told me; I don't want to watch it because I dread images of suffering animals).
it's based on Temple. she's great and has helped animals. i want the hug machine but it's expensive. the pressure really helps. Diana i'll watch the movie when i can, i can tell you what happens! i doubt it has suffering animals but i'll let you know. i defo wanna see it. she's working within the system to change the way animals are treated. she's like the patron saint of cows.

i think the pressure helps cuz... it just does. i know it helps me. whenever i've had a sensation of being flattened and squeezed i've felt better. Tongue
(12-09-2011, 01:31 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]it's based on Temple. she's great and has helped animals. i want the hug machine but it's expensive. the pressure really helps. Diana i'll watch the movie when i can, i can tell you what happens! i doubt it has suffering animals but i'll let you know. i defo wanna see it. she's working within the system to change the way animals are treated. she's like the patron saint of cows.

i think the pressure helps cuz... it just does. i know it helps me. whenever i've had a sensation of being flattened and squeezed i've felt better. Tongue

Thanks, and do let me know when you see it Smile. I know you will understand what I am trying to avoid.
(12-09-2011, 03:20 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, and do let me know when you see it Smile. I know you will understand what I am trying to avoid.

The woman is wonderful, I will say that. She wanted to improve their treatment but they were still killed for food. It's looking pretty traumatic to me. They had to use a stuffed animal for parts of the show (hint hint). "Humane treatment led to slaughter" does not compute in my mind. I will watch the show for you Diana and let you know what's up.

Thanks to another thread raising my awareness of our meat production system, I'm feeling a good "angry" coming on which I haven't had the pleasure of in a long time. Will be posting more soon, in the "to eat or not eat meat" thread. Smile

Movie trailer (the trailer is sensitive safe to view in my opinion):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnI_Y8PyTHM
The pressure idea makes me think of alternate realities with higher atmospheric pressure. Like did they just come from a different environment? Heck, we have that type of environment in deep sea.
(12-09-2011, 10:27 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]The pressure idea makes me think of alternate realities with higher atmospheric pressure. Like did they just come from a different environment? Heck, we have that type of environment in deep sea.

I was thinking confinement in the womb, behind held by mother as an infant, that kind of sensation bringing back the feelings of comfort, etc?
(12-09-2011, 03:20 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2011, 01:31 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]it's based on Temple. she's great and has helped animals. i want the hug machine but it's expensive. the pressure really helps. Diana i'll watch the movie when i can, i can tell you what happens! i doubt it has suffering animals but i'll let you know. i defo wanna see it. she's working within the system to change the way animals are treated. she's like the patron saint of cows.

Thanks, and do let me know when you see it Smile. I know you will understand what I am trying to avoid.

Okay, I just finished watching the movie. Cried a lot on this one! There were several moments that would be too disturbing for a sensitive, in my opinion. So put on your thick armor before you watch it.

A great movie about an autistic person excelling against the odds, and treating animals more humanely although they still have no problem with killing them. It is a step in the right direction, but it is far from promoting vegetarianism; more of a humane treatment of animals kind of film.

Having seen this, I am now even more against the killing of animals for food when ample veggies are available. A very well done movie. Thanks to this thread for bringing it to my attention. Smile
she's pragmatic cuz she's autistic. she can't stop people eating meat, i agree that the best thing to do is change their treatment. Smile thanks for the warning.
Thanks for the heads up on the trailer being sensitive friendly. It was interesting to watch.
(12-10-2011, 01:08 PM)fr33d0m Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2011, 03:20 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]

Okay, I just finished watching the movie. Cried a lot on this one! There were several moments that would be too disturbing for a sensitive, in my opinion. So put on your thick armor before you watch it.

A great movie about an autistic person excelling against the odds, and treating animals more humanely although they still have no problem with killing them. It is a step in the right direction, but it is far from promoting vegetarianism; more of a humane treatment of animals kind of film.

Having seen this, I am now even more against the killing of animals for food when ample veggies are available. A very well done movie. Thanks to this thread for bringing it to my attention. Smile

Thank you fr33d0m. I have had friends say that it was okay to watch, but my intuition told me otherwise. I have no thick armor :/.

Every little step counts. That's how we evolve.

Information must be the first step in awareness generally. I remember seeing the movie The Horse Whisperer. The whole movie is engaged in identifying with the trauma a horse went through, being sensitive to the horse, and loving the horse. Then, in the middle of the movie like some macabre interlude, was a happy cowboy scene complete with happy cowboy music, of branding cows with a hot iron after throwing them on the ground. I was horrified. This is the level of disconnect humans have regarding animals. The horse was seen as a being who needed healing, but the cows were just disregarded.

Diana, you're like me. I don't really have thick armor either.
I don't normally watch tv, and was at a friend's. Needless to say, some of what's on tv is horrendous.
I can't believe what they allow to be broadcast. It looked like something straight out of hell.

Yes, I'm quite a sensitive little furry.
(12-13-2011, 12:43 AM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]I can't believe what they allow to be broadcast. It looked like something straight out of hell.

Gore, murder, and rape are allowed, but boobs have always been a huge ordeal.

Kind of a toss up for the average male too, which would they rather see?
boobs aren't a huge ordeal, gays kissing are. at least they show boobs at night.
(12-13-2011, 12:43 AM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Diana, you're like me. I don't really have thick armor either.
I don't normally watch tv, and was at a friend's. Needless to say, some of what's on tv is horrendous.
I can't believe what they allow to be broadcast. It looked like something straight out of hell.

Yes, I'm quite a sensitive little furry.

I know what you mean. I haven't had a TV since the early 90's. When I go to someone's house and the TV is on, I just gape in amazement. Often, I just can't believe what I see. The IQ level of entertainment seems to have dropped to two digits, as far as I can tell (but my opinion is based on very limited glimpses).
this thread sort of reminded me of the Hug Me Pillow ...

[Image: dhsB9.jpg]

[Image: A64dI.jpg]

BigSmileBigSmile

who wants to hug half a man?
(12-13-2011, 12:31 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]The IQ level of entertainment seems to have dropped to two digits, as far as I can tell (but my opinion is based on very limited glimpses).
Man just try renting a "comedy", the stuff that is rated funny is really puzzling. I get irritated if a "comedy" does not give me a single lol.

that's bull. there's lots of awesome stuff. like the hangover.

be happy Smile