Bring4th

Full Version: Beautiful Kentucky
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LLResearch is based in Kentucky and I live here too. I found a photo gallery on the web that has a lot of photos from near where I live; most of these places are within an hour of me. I hike frequently at Indian Fort Mountain and occasionally at the Red River Gorge.

Those of you who haven't visited here are invited to take a look. It's a beautiful place. These photos apparently were taken by visitors from Germany.

http://www.pbase.com/uloo/oh_kentucky_
(01-09-2012, 12:59 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]LLResearch is based in Kentucky and I live here too. I found a photo gallery on the web that has a lot of photos from near where I live; most of these places are within an hour of me. I hike frequently at Indian Fort Mountain and occasionally at the Red River Gorge.

Those of you who haven't visited here are invited to take a look. It's a beautiful place. These photos apparently were taken by visitors from Germany.

http://www.pbase.com/uloo/oh_kentucky_

Eddie

Thanks for the pics. I live in ky too and have been to most of the places in the pictures so i definately appreciate ky's beauty. Have you ever been to Swift Camp Creek in the gorge? A great place for primitive camping.

much love to you
(01-10-2012, 03:25 PM)Listener Wrote: [ -> ]Eddie

Thanks for the pics. I live in ky too and have been to most of the places in the pictures so i definately appreciate ky's beauty. Have you ever been to Swift Camp Creek in the gorge? A great place for primitive camping.

much love to you

My father used to take me fishing on Swift Camp Creek back in the 1960s before that area became well-known and popular. I haven't been to the creek in a long time. The last time I was there, sometime in the mid 1980s, there were many people on the trails, and no where to park. The place doesn't have the solitude it had earlier, and I found that off-putting. Sad
(01-10-2012, 05:01 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2012, 03:25 PM)Listener Wrote: [ -> ]Eddie

much love to you

My father used to take me fishing on Swift Camp Creek back in the 1960s before that area became well-known and popular. I haven't been to the creek in a long time. The last time I was there, sometime in the mid 1980s, there were many people on the trails, and no where to park. The place doesn't have the solitude it had earlier, and I found that off-putting. Sad

I don't recall the exact area, but it was a 3 or 4 mile hike to get there and we only saw a few people. i remember one area where the entire creek bank and forest floor was covered in ferns. Reminded me more of a tropical setting. Perhaps you could revisit sometime and take a trip down memory lane.
[Image: KY-DoubleArch.jpg]

(Double Arch is in the Red River Gorge Recreation Area. It can be accessed by a trail at the end of Tunnel Ridge Road, a round trip hike of about 5 miles since the road was shortened. The span of the lower, larger opening is 30 feet. Photo by Kenny Dunn)

[Image: 6936173630_7329f61c71_h.jpg]

(Closeup of Double Arch)

Brittany

I wish it looked like that ALL over Kentucky.
I'm taking some relatives hiking out to Double Arch tomorrow, and also to Haystack Rock:

[Image: 4091705543_c0ddbbb5ef.jpg]

and Courthouse Rock

[Image: 1871055121_413b214d34.jpg]

Here's a view along Auxier Ridge, looking out toward Courthouse Rock:

[Image: 120115941.EP19HwMU.RedRivergorgeAuxierRi...dited1.jpg]

If you are reasonably spry (and thin), you can wedge-climb through a crack all the way to the top of Courthouse Rock. I climbed it several times in my younger years....don't know if I could do it now...Confused
Then maybe we'll finish up at Princess Arch:

[Image: 3319937265_4d377e88d3.jpg]

[Image: 4260528939_2fdf588935_z.jpg?zz=1]