Bring4th

Full Version: On Sarcasm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As one who frequently employs sarcasm, I have noticed there is quite a sharp demarcation among other seekers who enjoy, and who condemn, this type of communication style. As such, I was interested to see what would turn up on a search of the L/L Transcripts for sarcasm:

Google search for: site:llresearch.org sarcasm.

22 Aug 93

Q'uo Wrote:The fifth and final of the techniques we would describe best as holy silliness or silly sanctity. Many are the third-density luminaries which have offered redemption to many souls by helping each entity spill forth the unhealthful tensions of perceptions, those perceptions which carry pain in their arms, burden and trouble each soul, and blessed is the entity which can learn to laugh. We recommend in the spirit of silly sanctity seeing any situation—we correct this instrument—of gazing at a situation which for some reason has involved you to the extent that you are exercising the emotions within you, and see this “gestalt” as a cartoon. Consider then what caption you would write under the picture of this moment. Allow the self to make a little fun of all of the emotions, all of the perceptions, all of the energies. It often will generate at first the kind of humorous caption which contains sarcasm, irony and bitterness. But as the work continues the seeker may well find itself generating gentler and more sweetly humorous captions as the lighting up of the whole environment begins to come more and more into [alignment] as the one great original Thought.

Aaron/Q'uo Dialogues Session 22
26 Sep 93

Q'uo Wrote:We do not condemn nor suggest that you condemn technology or factories, or your media programs, newspapers, magazines, fashion and all the culture based upon artificially produced renown, but we suggest to you that you are in possession of free will in all matters. We encourage you to make judicious use of all your time, all your space, all your relationships, leavening all earnestness with high spirits and the light of sarcasm, irony, puns and bad jokes. Be reckless with your laughter and generous with your sarcastic comments. The seemingly trivial moments of self-parody and parody of others are like yeast, lightening the whole of the texture of your living.

16 Nov 03

Quote:V: Yes. Actually, I would like to ask about the discipline of the personality and a thought that I had the other day regarding what my mother used to say to me which was, “Guard your tongue.” It occurred to me that, in fact, what the discipline is about is guarding the thoughts and creating the truth within you that says, “I see the beauty, I see the perfection,” rather than looking at it and seeing the cynicism and only expressing the beauty. Could you illuminate that for me?

Q'uo: My sister, we feel that you have illuminated it very well. The only thing that we could add is an encouragement to play with this awareness that you are a creator, a co-creator and that, as you think, as you actually begin to train yourself to think, you do not narrow that which you comprehend. You are as able to see the thoughts of cynicism, sarcasm, anger and so forth as you were before, perhaps more able. What you are doing as you use the discipline is shaping your heart or— we correct this instrument—shaping your mind to be able to contain the thoughts of the heart, rather than simply the thoughts of the mind. It is not incorrect, we feel, to be aware of the ridiculousness, the sorry-ness or the wretchedness of any particular situation. It is not wrong to have sarcastic thoughts or to react naturally, and fervently even, to those things which make one uncomfortable or create catalyst.

Tom Robbins wrote -
“A sense of humor, properly developed, is superior to any religion so far devised.”
I tend to agree.
(01-10-2012, 05:00 PM)TheFifty9Sound Wrote: [ -> ]Tom Robbins wrote -
“A sense of humor, properly developed, is superior to any religion so far devised.”
I tend to agree.

I love Tom Robbins. He also said, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." BigSmile

TN-thank you. This fits with my experience. When I found my writing voice, although I am a very serious person, I discovered my voice was funny, and somewhat sarcastic, much to my surprise. I attribute this to the opening up of myself to my higher self, and "channeling" my material and characters. Writing is very magical that way.
It can be effective as a communication tool. Sometimes one can make a point with sarcasm with one sentence that it would take a paragraph to do otherwise.

I also have a very high reverence for irony.

Meerie

I used to love sarcasm, and still do by others, but nowadays I tend to lay off it, especially written. It can lead to trouble. I'm glad that Q'uo approve it though! Tongue