Bring4th

Full Version: States attained during meditation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Meditation is something that is difficult to communicate about, as there isn't very efficient language that can be used to describe it. Regardless, I thought I'd probe a bit in the hope that I can better understand how to navigate inner landscapes during meditation. And perhaps in this exchange I can help someone to better understand their own. (This is unlikely however, as I am far from adept haha)

For me I've identified a few different types of meditation I find myself partaking in. The most common of which is simply contemplation and self-assessment. Sitting quietly and trying to identify areas of myself that can be improved/better balanced. This is the easiest form for me as it happens fairly automatically and uses parts of my mind that I'm most comfortable with - namely analytical/logical parts. No particular state is typically attained for me here other than relaxation and usually a general feeling of accomplishment if something of use is identified.

Another form takes more focus/discipline. This is the act of silencing the multiple channels of inner dialog. Simply "sparring" with myself as I grapple to maintain the silence until it finally becomes self-sustaining. Once this happens (Sometimes it doesn't if silence can't be maintained due to stress, etc) a few different avenues seem to have the probability of opening up. One is simply maintaining that state, I call it "Resting in the presence of God" from my dogmatic Christian days. This is a pleasant experience as well as beneficial as I am able to feel more balanced throughout the day.

Another avenue that opens once self-sustaining silence is attained is a feeling of receiving information. Sometimes this is a random memory I haven't thought about in years, other times it's a revelation about behavior I need to change, etc. This information feels like it comes from within, but from deeper within than is readily accessible normally. This avenue closes spontaneously and leaves me feeling tired as opposed to rested.

Finally, the most infrequent avenue is sort of a mishmash of the two above. It starts with a physical sensation in my stomach/chest like a dense version of "butterflies" then onto a feeling of jubilance. Often I feel like I'm floating (Though when I open my eyes I most certainly am not). From here different things happen every time ranging from seeing geometric patterns seem to super-impose onto the inside of my eyelids, to feeling like I'm getting a brain massage, to feeling like I'm spinning, to hearing an intense ringing, etc. Almost like a mild psychedelic experience. I see little things in my mind's eye, though it feels like it's coming from a source slightly different than "Mind's eye." They also tend to be relatively dull, hard to make out, lacking in color, etc. Difficult to describe, but they feel more like mental artifacts than something I can really grasp. Sort of like those black things that float around in your vision but go scooting away if you actually look at them haha. Idk if other people have those...

I would be interested to hear what other people's hierarchy of meditation tends to be or if they have one and what states they seem to attain. Also if there are certain techniques used, I would be interested by those as well.
(01-15-2012, 07:42 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]Ecz -- please view this thread:

http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=802

Oh perfect, it seems I should've done some more searching between this link and the Chakras Only thread I think I'll get some good info to digest. Much appreciated.

Unbound

Source, peace, omniscient... I have experienced no thought, and complete peace, and my retreat for this next month will be largely about grasping and then maintaining that state again.
A while back I had an out-of-body experience while meditating. I was in a reclining chair in an apartment we have above our garage. I lifted out of my body, and there was the ghost of a young girl (6 or 7 years old) standing to my left, looking at me. She appeared to want something, but she didn't speak to me and I couldn't discern what it was that brought her there.

When I settled back in a few minutes later, she was still there.
I liked your whole post! =)

(01-15-2012, 05:13 PM)Ecz Wrote: [ -> ]Another form takes more focus/discipline. This is the act of silencing the multiple channels of inner dialog. Simply "sparring" with myself as I grapple to maintain the silence until it finally becomes self-sustaining. Once this happens (Sometimes it doesn't if silence can't be maintained due to stress, etc) a few different avenues seem to have the probability of opening up. One is simply maintaining that state, I call it "Resting in the presence of God" from my dogmatic Christian days. This is a pleasant experience as well as beneficial as I am able to feel more balanced throughout the day.

What a beautiful statement "Resting in the presence of God". Recently I've come into a state where it feels like I am merging with this presence and becoming this tiny, bright spark of the intelligent infinity. What it feels like is that I am seeing everything around me as light, but I see my self as being more bright than the other light, because this light is alive. Like it sparkling and radiating. It is also so sacred that I have difficulties to believe that. And each breathe is sacred. Difficult to explain this without misused words. This state I reached by silence.

What I had difficulties to do in order to sustain the state of silence, is to be rude towards myself. If I became irritated or frustrated at my thoughts that were interfering the inner silence, it felt like I was abusing myself. So that state of silence, I had to reach by being nice to myself. By meeting each thought or disturbance with love, and put it aside in a *kind* way.

Ecz Wrote:It starts with a physical sensation in my stomach/chest like a dense version of "butterflies" then onto a feeling of jubilance.

Ah, I remember that! It's been a while since I experienced something like that! One of the most sacred experiences that I've had, came from one of these sensations. Will never forget that! Good luck and stay open to this! =)

Ecz Wrote:I would be interested to hear what other people's hierarchy of meditation tends to be or if they have one and what states they seem to attain. Also if there are certain techniques used, I would be interested by those as well.

My main meditation is about to merge with the silence. Then I have small ones sometimes, for about 5-15 minutes, and these are about to balance the catalysts that I might have encountered during the day, and need to re-center myself. So if there is an opportunity to take this break, I gladly do this. In evenings, if I have time, I do Gaia meditation.

Here is another thread about meditation:

http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthrea...meditation

Unbound

Wonderful, this all sounds much the same as my experience of Source!

I only have one secret, and all my meditations have led to this one point of balance in the Heart. That is all you need to do to get in to this state is to be focused, with the center of your being, in your heart. The middle of the 7 is the balance, we are sometimes illusioned that the "top" is the most prized center.
For me, immediately upon entering my sitting position I can feel my crown "light up". It feels as if a beam of energy is entering my body from where my hair stems out. Then my third eye "opens" and my chakras slowly activate. It's sensational and I meditate often to see if my chakras are activated and at a healthy level. Lately it has been seeming like I am too exhausted to stay in this meditative state for longer than a short period. Must be my sleep schedule.
To meditate, is a wonderful tool, to love, to become love in that state is sublime.

I am still finding my pace within that vibration, but i know that i am going to bloom effortlessly into that, very soon.

Now in fact.

Avocado

(01-16-2012, 08:31 PM)Azrael Wrote: [ -> ]Wonderful, this all sounds much the same as my experience of Source!

I only have one secret, and all my meditations have led to this one point of balance in the Heart. That is all you need to do to get in to this state is to be focused, with the center of your being, in your heart. The middle of the 7 is the balance, we are sometimes illusioned that the "top" is the most prized center.

It took me a fair amount of time to come to this. I was focused on the third eye for a long time, like you said it was sought after for dreams, OBEs and the mystic, way before I was even spiritual. It was naivety. Later I realized the heart is at the center of it all, and that it was relevant too.

I only meditate while hushing the mind. No thoughts, just awareness. I think I should add some concentration types to the mix, focusing on the heart maybe gaia meditations too.
meditation is the gold, the alchemical stone that we have all been searching for:

5.2 We begin with the mental learn/teachings necessary for contact with intelligent infinity. The prerequisite of mental work is the ability to retain silence of self at a steady state when required by the self. The mind must be opened like a door. The key is silence.

(01-15-2012, 05:13 PM)Ecz Wrote: [ -> ]I would be interested to hear what other people's hierarchy of meditation tends to be or if they have one and what states they seem to attain. Also if there are certain techniques used, I would be interested by those as well.

there seems to be 2 broad types of meditation:

1) you are in contact with the Self (your conscious self, the unconscious self, your Higher Self).

2) you are interacting with 'another' element. This can be opening the gateway to intelligent infinity (through the pineal), beaming energy to others (such as the earth for example), or a quasi form of channeling in which one is in a very very deep trance state.

in the first state, one is safe and protected because you are only dealing with the 'self'. You, of course, can harm and sabotage yourself, but you only have yourself to blame in that case. Smile

the second scenario I would recommend taking some precautions and protections. Others seem to think these are un-necessary, but in the experiences that I have had, you can encounter some rather malign entities. With the right protections, the space is cleansed, and the request for honest and truthful information is honored most of the time.

- -

in regards to open-eyed meditation or group meditation these are things that I have not tried.

also, search for 'White Magician' in the Ra material if you want to do work in helping the Planetary Consciousness.

peace and blessings my friend.
Quote:10.14 Questioner: For the general development of the reader of this book, could you state some of the practices or exercises to perform to produce an acceleration toward the Law of One?

Ra: I am Ra.

Exercise One. This is the most nearly centered and useable within your illusion complex. The moment contains love. That is the lesson/goal of this illusion or density. The exercise is to consciously see that love in awareness and understanding distortions. The first attempt is the cornerstone. Upon this choosing rests the remainder of the life-experience of an entity. The second seeking of love within the moment begins the addition. The third seeking empowers the second, the fourth powering or doubling the third. As with the previous type of empowerment, there will be some loss of power due to flaws within the seeking in the distortion of insincerity. However, the conscious statement of self to self of the desire to seek love is so central an act of will that, as before, the loss of power due to this friction is inconsequential.

Exercise Two. The universe is one being. When a mind/body/spirit complex views another mind/body/spirit complex, see the Creator. This is an helpful exercise.

Exercise Three. Gaze within a mirror. See the Creator.

Exercise Four. Gaze at the creation which lies about the mind/body/spirit complex of each entity. See the Creator.

The foundation or prerequisite of these exercises is a predilection towards what may be called meditation, contemplation, or prayer. With this attitude, these exercises can be processed. Without it, the data will not sink down into the roots of the tree of mind, thus enabling and ennobling the body and touching the spirit.

Quote:49.7 Questioner: Will you recommend a technique of meditation?

Ra: I am Ra. No.

Dang :¬)

Quote:49.8 Questioner: Is it better, or shall I say, does it produce more useable results in meditation to leave the mind as blank as possible and let it run down, so to speak, or is it better to focus in meditation on some object or some thing for concentration?

Ra: I am Ra. This shall be the last full query of this work time.

Each of the two types of meditation is useful for a particular reason. The passive meditation involving the clearing of the mind, the emptying of the mental jumble which is characteristic of mind complex activity among your peoples, is efficacious for those whose goal is to achieve an inner silence as a base from which to listen to the Creator. This is an useful and helpful tool and is by far the most generally useful type of meditation as opposed to contemplation or prayer.

The type of meditation which may be called visualization has as its goal not that which is contained in the meditation itself. Visualization is the tool of the adept. Those who learn to hold visual images in mind are developing an inner concentrative power that can transcend boredom and discomfort. When this ability has become crystallized in an adept the adept may then do polarizing in consciousness without external action which can affect the planetary consciousness. This is the reason for the existence of the so-called White Magician. Only those wishing to pursue the conscious raising of planetary vibration will find visualization to be a particularly satisfying type of meditation.

Contemplation or the consideration in a meditative state of an inspiring image or text is extremely useful also among your peoples, and the faculty of will called praying is also of a potentially helpful nature. Whether it is indeed an helpful activity depends quite totally upon the intentions and objects of the one who prays.

Q'uo also talks of meditation frequently, and it's great benefits.

I used to try all different sorts of meditation/visualisation, to the point I would become distracted/confused. Now I just simply sit in the heart space, letting thoughts and emotions come and go. Remaining in the heart makes one a radiator of love and light. Perfect!

Like many others, I automatically contemplate, day dream and balance. Some of my favourite hobbies :¬)
I posted elsewhere my experience reading Michael Newton, who specializes in regressing clients to life between lives. A client who gets there (I assume that many don't) can communicate with spirit guides, soul group members and often the soul mate.

Anyway, the book implies that someone adept with meditation can do this too. That's a good motivator for me! Smile
(01-17-2012, 06:17 PM)Namaste Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:49.7 Questioner: Will you recommend a technique of meditation?

Ra: I am Ra. No.

Dang :¬)

BigSmile
Hello Ecz,

I am attaching a chapter from Scott Mandelker's "Universal Vision" regarding meditation.

I'm not sharing this to promote Dr. Mandelker, though I think his work worthy of promotion.

I share simply because, in my personal experience, this particular chapter formed the bedrock understanding of meditation, both in theory and practice.

It doesn't delve into particular techniques or schools of thought, but in a short space it gets to what I feel meditation is at the core. Bare-bones concentration and formless, choiceless, unattached, unmoved, all-accepting, mirror-like awareness. (That sort of awareness needs lots of adjectives. Wink)

: ) GLB
(01-18-2012, 06:45 PM)Bring4th_GLB Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Ecz,

I am attaching a chapter from Scott Mandelker's "Universal Vision" regarding meditation.

GLB, thanks a ton for sharing this. I seemed to have gotten mired down in, "Am I doing this right? I feel like I'm not knowledgable enough on meditation to be trying this." -etc...

Funny, as a designer I always tell people that "to add is to ornament, to strip away is to design." Anything stripped down to only the bare essentials needed to function correctly is generally of good design. (ie a computer interface that is powerful but easy to understand because it's not bogged down in pointless features that overly complicate things). However, rather than go by my own 'values' on meditation I was trying to over-complicate things.

Enjoyed this reading and subsequent realization very much, thank you!
(01-20-2012, 07:37 PM)Ecz Wrote: [ -> ]GLB, thanks a ton for sharing this. I seemed to have gotten mired down in, "Am I doing this right? I feel like I'm not knowledgeable enough on meditation to be trying this." -etc...

Funny, as a designer I always tell people that "to add is to ornament, to strip away is to design." Anything stripped down to only the bare essentials needed to function correctly is generally of good design. (ie a computer interface that is powerful but easy to understand because it's not bogged down in pointless features that overly complicate things). However, rather than go by my own 'values' on meditation I was trying to over-complicate things.

Enjoyed this reading and subsequent realization very much, thank you!

Glad you got something out of it, Ecz!

I am definitely no expert in meditation - for most of the nine years I've attempted the discipline it has felt like an exercise in futility. But as with anything else in life, persistence eventually pays off. In my experience, I have had moments of that clear, spacious mind which reflects the beauty of the still, quiet being underlying all manifestation.

For meditation in its essential character, I don't think great knowledge is needed. Of course there are many varieties of meditation practice to achieve specific or general aims, but distilled to its essence I see meditation as an exercise in concentration. And what is concentration but an exercise in pure will, undertaken in faith, which, like exercising the physical muscles, increases both will and faith with repeated use.

http://www.lawofone.info/results.php?ses...43&ss=1#30

In concentration, as I understand it, one simply attempts to bring the attention back to its chosen one-pointed focus, again, and again, and again, and again -- ad infinitum. Each time the mind wavers, the attention is gently, kindly, compassionately returned to one-pointed focus. The mind distracts, the thoughts consume, the memory takes over, the mental patterns resume their momentum and consume the attention with everthing BUT the practice of being being fully present. So the meditator, upon becoming conscious of having deviated from the chosen focus, brings her attention back to rest on the point of concentration.

With each attempt to return, will and faith grow, the monkey mind learns to settle down, and the self recognizes the stillness, emptiness, and being already there.

The meditator is not so much generating a state of consciousness, but through concentration and the quieting of the time-bound thinking mind, is clearing the obstructions that obscure what is already present.

As I see meditation, the seeker is simply learning to be still without attachment or aversion to mental patterns. The remainder and the majority of the work is quite literally out of the hands of the conscious self. The sole duty of the conscious self is, through concentration, to be still, quiet, present.

Also, as the meditator strengthens the will in the experiences of formal meditation by gently returning the attention again and again to one-pointed focus. Thusly is the mind trained to return to that center point throughout the scattered day. Suddenly in the midst of the consuming, tumultuous catalyst of the moment, the seeker remembers to not be so identified with mental patterns, to observe them with equanimity, and in that "distance" gained from the catalyst, there is that open space through which love, creativity, truth, and joy may move into the particular manifested situation.

I could riff more on this, but that's the basic theme of my particular understanding and practice.

Sorry that I rattled on here overly long. And putting things in terms of "the seeker" was just an alternative to saying "you" repeatedly.
: ) Gary
I was recently given a book by my significant other called The Meditator's Atlas: A Roadmap of the Inner World which, in short, is a modern-day technical analysis and synopsis of the Buddha's path to enlightenment, and an in-depth overview, isolation and examination of each step of the path, this all including the states attained during meditation, the insights reached, mindfulness, etc. I must say, this book has given me a wonderful referential scope for my own practice, and in fact I always take this book with me if I'm ever riding the train or bus anywhere. It is deeply profound and has impacted me almost as much as the Law of One has in terms of how well it functions as a guideline I can draw upon for assistance in my spiritual journey. The author is Matthew Flickstein, by the way. I highly recommend this book to any serious practitioners of meditation, even if you aren't, if you're seeking to work upon yourself, refine your being, and strive towards love/light, this book will be one of your greatest allies.