Bring4th

Full Version: Animals sold in pet stores
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are countless animals caged in pet stores and homes. In an effort to open the heart and exercise compassion, I would like to suggest that animals should be free, not used by us because they are pretty (fish in an aquarium, exotic birds), or kept by us in homes (declawed cats, indoor dogs, hamsters, etc.).

In consideration of domesticated cats and dogs I would suggest:
-Rescue animals rather than pet stores or breeders.
-Allow your pet dog or cat some degree of freedom, and interaction with nature.

In consideration of hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, fish, and other common household pets I would suggest:
-Do not support animal merchandizing and phase out of it.

In consideration of exotic pets I would suggest:
-Do not support a system that captures and sells them.

I did a tour of Costa Rica and stayed at a lodge far into the jungle for a few days during the tour. One morning the dock was piled with cages. The cages contained toucans, monkeys, a tapir, and many other beautiful jungle birds destined for the exotic pet trade. They were all screeching and violently trying to escape the cages (except for the tapir who gently walked up to me and stared right into my eyes. I held out my hand and it nuzzled my hand very gently with its snout). I was devastated and was hatching a plan to sneak out that night to free them, but my boyfriend, very wisely, talked me out of it. Most of the animals caught like this never survive the trip to an owner, and of those, many die early because they are not in their own habitat.

Heart

I am thinking that this thread is going to launch some fireworks.

*getting popcorn*

- -

I know that you aren't deliberately trying to be provocative Diana, but you are implicitly going to be critiquing some of the behaviour of fellow forum members. And that will be perceived as a personal attack.

this is essentially an extension of the Meat Thread; in that people are going to have immovable opinions about how they/we engage with the Animal Kingdom.

YOUR OPINION is not going to be changed by any argument anyone could reason, and likewise, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE THEIR MIND EITHER.

- -

just putting that out there. Tongue

- -

back on topic.
Yes, Plenum, I suppose this may cause some fireworks. This is not my intention. I am only sharing some personal insights I have on compassion for other-selves.

I am not attempting to judge, rather to open a door. And beyond that, I am who I am, and I share what I am. I have little interest in maintaining the status quo. We are here to grow I think. That is not to suggest that I know more than another; we are all learning from each other in many different ways, consciously or unconsciously.

I like to hear different points of view. So, the door is open. Smile

Should we avoid emotional triggers? At the very least, the trigger brings to our attention something that needs balancing. I, for one, could be said to be overly sensitive when it comes to the animal kingdom, and exploring the topic may help me find more balance. Others may begin to recognize their own emotional triggers and be compelled to move into balance.
I was at a friends house on new year, they had a turtle in an aquarium. It then hit me that he was simply a piece of furniture. I think it's okay to have pets if you connect with it and keeps it happy on all levels. I have three cats and one of them usually comes talking to me, our relationship is kind of telepathic almost BigSmile
I wonder how people would react to being held in cages and sold as pets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpkmtweNQ-U

I've often wondered if the reason that some people are captured by aliens, and treated in a vile manner, is that those actions reflect what we do to animals on our planet....could it be? Huh
The Universe is reflected in us. The Outside recapitulates the Inside.
dear diane

thanks for starting this compassionate thread. there is no doubt that our little friends suffer greatly, much more so that we humans . they have been betrayed by those they look to for comfort and guidance. i liken the way we treat them to children who live with abusive parents. not only pets but also the way animals are cultivated and warehoused for food consumption. i would say i respect people who hunt their own food . this whole area of our relationship with them is going to change radically i believe as we come to the awareness that they are us that they are our children and that the creator has entrusted them to us as stewards. ive always felt that that kindness to animals here on this earth creates alliances between us and them in eternity. to be quite honest i would rather spend time with them than with a lot of people. may the god of all raise our conciousness into a conciousness of compassion so that we begin to embrace and comfort them as it was meant to be. and eddie i have had the same thought how would i like to be in a slaughterhouse, if what went on there was played on tv daily it would change the way we eat i would say.

norral Heart
Great thread, Diana.

Gandhi said that one could judge a culture by the way they treat animals.

Although native americans hunted, they knew the value of our animal brothers and sisters. All life is sacred, and one day we'll all understand that plants are for our nourishment and animals are for our education, enjoyment, and for companionship (not domestication).
(01-31-2012, 03:24 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I am thinking that this thread is going to launch some fireworks.

*getting popcorn*

Fireworks? That's energy. Better than being stagnant.

(01-31-2012, 03:24 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I know that you aren't deliberately trying to be provocative Diana, but you are implicitly going to be critiquing some of the behaviour of fellow forum members. And that will be perceived as a personal attack.

People who aren't interested in the topic, can choose to simply not post in this thread.

(01-31-2012, 03:24 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]this is essentially an extension of the Meat Thread; in that people are going to have immovable opinions about how they/we engage with the Animal Kingdom.

This isn't an extension of the meat thread; no mention was made of animals slaughtered for meat. Though loosely related, this is a different topic.

(01-31-2012, 03:24 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]YOUR OPINION is not going to be changed by any argument anyone could reason, and likewise, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE THEIR MIND EITHER.

Actually, several people did indeed change their minds, on that other thread. Some pm'ed me personally. And why else are we here, if not to expand our thinking?

(01-31-2012, 05:07 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]I've often wondered if the reason that some people are captured by aliens, and treated in a vile manner, is that those actions reflect what we do to animals on our planet....could it be? Huh
The Universe is reflected in us. The Outside recapitulates the Inside.

Very good point! Karmic!

Hi Monica,

I did apologise to Diana via pm yesterday, because I came to realise that my post was ill-aimed, and not full of the best STO intentions. It did have the catalytic effect of asking myself some questions, and then initiating an Animal Rights thread. For the public record, I chose not to retract my post, as it was already out there.

I hope this clarifies things Smile
(02-02-2012, 01:26 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Monica,

I did apologise to Diana via pm yesterday, because I came to realise that my post was ill-aimed, and not full of the best STO intentions. It did have the catalytic effect of asking myself some questions, and then initiating an Animal Rights thread. For the public record, I chose not to retract my post, as it was already out there.

I hope this clarifies things Smile

Thank you plenum! Yes this does clarify! Peace and blessings! Heart

(01-31-2012, 03:24 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I am thinking that this thread is going to launch some fireworks.

(01-31-2012, 03:46 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]So, the door is open. Smile
I don't have fireworks, so i'll just keep opening and slamming the door someone left open.BigSmile