Bring4th

Full Version: Beautiful Aura Pics of Earth From Yesterday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Make sure to check out at the bottom where it says more images....WELL WORTH IT!

Anyone have any ideas as to why something like this happens or happened?

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/241581...um=twitter
Those pictures are MAJESTIC, but what distinguishes them from regular instances of aurora borealis?
Don't know? The article claims it may have come from the Sun on Feb. 10th? I'm curious myself if anyone can let us know?

Awww, i read "Aura Pics of Earth"... so ofc i'm expecting images of the earths aura (somehow)

not aurora Sad
(02-15-2012, 01:51 PM)Liet Wrote: [ -> ]Awww, i read "Aura Pics of Earth"... so ofc i'm expecting images of the earths aura (somehow)

not aurora Sad

Me too. Not that strange though because it actually says Aura ^^

Anyway, beautiful lights. I'd like the see them IRL.

(02-15-2012, 03:19 PM)Wander Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 01:51 PM)Liet Wrote: [ -> ]Awww, i read "Aura Pics of Earth"... so ofc i'm expecting images of the earths aura (somehow)

not aurora Sad

Me too. Not that strange though because it actually says Aura ^^

http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=63

BRING4TH FORUM GUIDELINES

14) It is helpful for the title of a thread to accurately convey what is intended to be discussed within the course of the thread. This limits confusion and makes for easier reference. Therefore, we suggest and request that you please attempt to make the thread title as descriptive of the content as possible.

For example, if you wish to discuss, say, the effects of mating dances on spiritual evolution in tribal societies, please don’t title your thread, “Hey what do you guys think of this?”, or, “I read this yesterday, pretty interesting stuff.”

Instead try, “Mating Dances in Tribal Societies”.

Meerie

LOL
Plenum, since Monica resigned... ever thought of applying for a job as bring4th moderator?
BigSmile
replied to Meerie via pm.
This wouldn't be the first time since I started monitoring our earth's magnetic field about 6 months ago that ive seen our magnetic field getting hammered by phantom energies. The explanation in the past has been we simply moved through the natural solar wind streams when it was especially powerful. I noticed yesterday's random activity and hopped on spaceweather.com and the explanation was a "slight disturbance in the solar winds". Whatever the cause, it started a low-severity geomagnetic storm. It couldn't be a CME since there were no earth-directed ones. I guess a CME on the other side could have caused the ripple in the solar wind.

Theories on why the solar wind has been seemingly more powerful than in times past are welcome. I know I read an article about how earth is situated at the perfect orbital radius that when the sun takes incoming proton clouds which the sun focuses like a nozzle onto earth when it passes through this stream. It also said that because of this that it would take about 1000/persomeunitofmeasurement to... Let's just say it would be off the scale.

Watching the effects of various CME's on our magnetic field over the months, I can say that I've seen them be comparably powerful as moving through the main solar stream. CME's are usually only potentially harmful to us only if we get a "double-whammy" type hit where we get hit by a less powerful, slower moving CME, then a more powerful, faster moving CME so they arrive at earth at the same time. This happened in the last truely powerful solar storm in the 1850's or 60's, where they saw auroras all over the world in locations never recorded before. If I remember correctly, it would place it 144 years from the year 2012. That's 12 years average times 12 solar cycles since that one. There were other reports older than that one but of course it was only with the observation of the naked eye.

It also took out telegraph lines and messed with what little electronics they had then. An event like that today would certainly be much more devastating because of our reliance on communications and electricity.

I am going on memory on all this, will provide links later / correct any errors with a new post.

Here is the meter I was referring to from http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/ .
[Image: sw_dials.gif]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859 Referring back to this, it was 153 years ago. So off a bit from exactly 144 years and much closer to 13 cycles of 12, but one could argue that maybe this is so since we received some sort of "time extension" to try to improve harvest.
It happened again right now. There was no flares or CME's and the magnet field is getting clobbered for no apparent reason. This image updates so it will only appear to have high activity (lots of red and a little yellow) if you view it near when I posted this.
[Image: pmapNst.gif]

Meerie

but there seems to have been a minor solar flare...
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2012/02...tic-field/

which maybe got intensified due to the crack in the earths magnetic field
@Meerie No offense, but I dont see anywhere in that article where it says there was a solar flare. It says the solar wind caused the geomagnetic storm, not a solar flare. It mentions a "disturbance" rippling through the electromagnetic field, but not the source. It also states that the IMF turned south when this happened, forming a crack, but it does not explain why this occurred or if this was a normal occurrence. I will have to more closely research the IMF to comment on this further.

Spaceweather.com addressed the apparently unknown cause for the Feb14-15 geomagnetic storm. What I find really fascinating is the anomaly it produced.

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view...&year=2012' Wrote:AURORA WHIRLPOOL: On Feb. 14-15, Arctic skies erupted with an unexpected display of auroras that veteran observers said was among the best in months. At the height of the event, a US Defense Meteorological Program satellite photographed a whirlpool of Northern Lights over the Bering Sea:

[Image: whirlpool_strip.jpg]

"A number of images from the DMSP F18 satellite captured the dramatic auroral event of the last couple nights," says analyst Paul McCrone, who processed the data at the US Navy's Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center in Monterey, CA.

The reason for the outburst is still not completely clear. It started on Feb. 14th when a magnetic disturbance rippled around the north pole. No CME was obvious in local solar wind data at the time; the disturbance just happened. Once begun, the display was amplified by the actions of the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF). The IMF near Earth tipped south, opening a crack in our planet's magnetic defenses. Solar wind poured in and fueled the auroras.