Bring4th

Full Version: Do we need "Advanced Studies"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear forums,

The "Advanced Studies" sub-forum was built for a couple of reasons. Primarily to accommodate the needs of a particular member with the hope that its construction would bring greater balance to the Force, as there were disturbances in our equilibrium. Secondarily to create a space wherein all participants would be super mindful of the need to post on-topic.

But as the spiral has moved us upward and onward into new space/time nexi, the situation has changed. There is no longer that particular need for balance, and by and large the community tends to post on-topic. So I'm wondering if the sub-forum is still useful. Is it an eight-track tape or an MP3? What do you think?

Does Advanced Studies serve a particular function for you? Do you find it helpful? Would you prefer that it continue? Would eliminating it affect the "Advanced Studies" tattoo across your back?

Would really appreciate your feedback, whether for or against the sub-forum.

If the community votes that it's not needed/wanted, we could perhaps disassemble it and relocate all of its threads to their most appropriate home. Or we could repurpose it, making it a home for Tarot/Archetype discussion, or perhaps some other specialized subject.

Look forward to any thoughts you'd like to share!
: ) GLB

Unbound

I have thought it is a little redundant. I mean, since the whole forum is geared towards TLOO, this forum in and of itself is kind of like the "critical study" area.

3DMonkey

I'm not for it, but I will say that I will stay out of advanced studies.

God, I hope that doesn't start a mad rush to its front door Wink

The tattoo stays, however.
It appears that there is a stigma attached to this subforum of which I am not aware. I do not know if it was a mistake for me to use it as the primary platform for my threads, but it is as it is.

I am very amenable both to the idea of repurposing for specific topics and for simple re-integrating. Both would serve the community better in my view -- assuming that the political situation is truly ended.

This is also an opportunity to make a suggestion: I have designed the Table of Contents thread to be an easy way to access all the specific threads I have posted in the series; however, it, like any other thread, is susceptible to being bumped out of the front page. I think making this thread sticky may be a good idea, but only if there are others who would like this convenience.

3DMonkey

(02-23-2012, 10:20 PM)JustLikeYou Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that uniting the two makes sense.

Since interest in the archetypes is growing, I'd like to allow greater readership of the threads I have posted.

This is also an opportunity to make a suggestion: I have designed the Table of Contents thread to be an easy way to access all the specific threads I have posted in the series; however, it, like any other thread, is susceptible to being bumped out of the front page. I think making this thread sticky may be a good idea, but only if there are others who would like this convenience.

I could subscribe to the contents thread. Then, I could have a quick link to it through my dashboard*?
I don't much care, so didn't vote. If it's a hassle to monitor and maintain, let's slim down. OTOH, if it gives focus to something like the archetypes and the Tarot that perhaps will have a good, lively sub-forum, rename it and move some threads elsewhere.

I suppose a sub-forum ought to have a minimum number of lively threads that match the sub-forum's purpose. If they fade then take it away.
A tarot sub forum be good - 'archetypal mind' or something.
I like the idea of a tarot subforum--although I could see some other sorts of "advanced" LOO threads. (However, I think "advanced" has more to do with the way the members interact with the topic than the topic itself.) Another interesting topic is Love--its expression in different dimensions. I was working on some cross-referencing (RA and the rest of my canon) on that topic when I began looking more seriously at the tarot. I'd also like to see more on the various bodies we possess--and again, cross-referencing would help. I found this confusing as I tried to place Ra's framework on what I've learned previously and I'd love to see someone synthesize the Ra material with other sources.
I voted to "leave it alone", but mostly because I intend to do a deeper study of the tarot & archetypes. So I don't really mind very much where things are, but would hate for any of it to "go away."

Thanks so much for asking!
(02-23-2012, 11:54 PM)Ruth Wrote: [ -> ]I voted to "leave it alone", but mostly because I intend to do a deeper study of the tarot & archetypes. So I don't really mind very much where things are, but would hate for any of it to "go away."

Thanks so much for asking!

Hey Ruth, if it was decided to eliminate "Advanced" altogether, no content would disappear. The threads currently in Advanced would just find homes elsewhere.

We would leave the Advanced Studies' threads in baskets on the doorsteps of other non-Bring4th internet forums internet, and hope that the other forums would take the thread in and care for it. Maybe even post to it now and then.

But chances are we'd have to just slot the thread into another sub-forum on Bring4th. : )
I really like the idea of keeping it here! This is my firs forum and I'm having enough difficulty learning to navigate around this "temple". I'd hate to have to go traipsing off to find those baskets somewhere else!

Tongue
I find the sub-forums makes things hard to find.

is there any way to 'index' the sub-forum posts so that they show up in their 'parent forum', so there is a completeness at some level? and then if people want to 'filter' by that subforum they can click on that directly.

this may sound contrary to a subforum, but in my mind, the parent forum should contain 'all the threads', and the sub, a selective filter.

maybe a rename to 'The Adept's Path' might be a temporary fix, and a less imposing name.
what s advianced studes?

3DMonkey

Yeah. The worst thing about sun forums is that they r invisible when logged out
cuz they know how. those tricky sun creatures.
Every thread made here that highlights some area of the Law of One and incites discussion into those concepts is in itself an "advanced study", and what we're studying here is pretty advanced anyways. Wink In my opinion, Advanced Studies could simply be merged with the Strictly Law of One subforum. Alot of the threads in Harvest, Strictly Law of One and Advanced Studies seem to overlap and any threads within them could be properly placed in each other.
I agree that a tarot/archetypical mind forum or subforum might be useful. Other than that, I'm not sure there's a real distinction between "Strictly Law of One" and "Advanced Studies."

I also agree that it would be nice to be able to see new posts when logged out.
i think advanced should be cereal study. cuz our studies are advanced.
Oceania - I like Cheerios.

I keep thinking about this and have gone looking at the forum structure (rather than just looking at the new or today's posts), and still think that for me, personally, the only thing that would be really helpful is to sort out the tarot/archetypical info into a more logical, organized section.

Again, thanks, GLB for asking about it.
(02-24-2012, 11:14 AM)Ruth Wrote: [ -> ]Again, thanks, GLB for asking about it.

is it just me, or do you sometimes read GLB as LGBT.

no offense Gary.

Cool
ummmmmm, well, I am dyslexic so I often mix up letters - but no, I've never seen LGBT when looking at GLB. I think of GLB as Gary, light bringer. It helps me keep it straight.

Just as here, he is trying to bring more light into bring4th by better organizing it!
why would he take offense?
lgbt used to be called glbt btw.
Merge it with the other threads...I think the idea of advanced studies in a spiritual forum is segregating. Who decides who is advanced enough?

Richard
i don't think it was meant that way. it's more about focusing.
I have never perceived much difference between the sub-forum "advanced studies" and the forum it's in regarding content. It would probably make things simpler just to disperse the threads to an appropriate place.

(02-24-2012, 12:17 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]i don't think it was meant that way. it's more about focusing.

I understand that Oceania...but its an implication of heirarchy. Which could be especially offputting to a new person coming in.

Richard
Guys you can just click the "view today's posts" link in the upper left side of any page.

I actually use that function, it is much easier then having to navigate trough countless forums and sub-forums.
(02-24-2012, 01:14 PM)drifting pages Wrote: [ -> ]Guys you can just click the "view today's posts" link in the upper left side of any page.

I actually use that function, it is much easier then having to navigate trough countless forums and sub-forums.

Likewise. BigSmile

And Richard, I'm pretty sure anybody who comes onto this forum in the first place (assuming they have prior knowledge of the Law of One) will know well enough to know that the notion of a "hierarchy" is illusory in the grand scheme of things. Wink
(02-24-2012, 01:14 PM)drifting pages Wrote: [ -> ]Guys you can just click the "view today's posts" link in the upper left side of any page.

I use it, too, but if you're not logged in, new posts from login-only forums/subforums don't appear.
Pages: 1 2