Bring4th

Full Version: What grinds your gears and how do you deal with it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I consider myself a very mellow and level person. I very, very rarely get upset or wound up about anything. I can happily sit stuck in traffic, I can have family ranting, raving and screaming around me without so much as a tick on my internal stress-o-meter, and even when I had to go back into surgery after my reoccurring disc problem and had to put off my trip to the states, I essentially met the problem with a shrug of the shoulders.

However, the only thing that gets my blood boiling, the only thing that puts me in a foul mood and will cause me to snap unnecessarily at people, is losing on FIFA (an xBox soccer game).

It got me thinking, how do I approach this? Do I avoid the game altogether, knowing it sends me on a tilt? Would that be the spiritually evolved and awakened thing to do? Or do I continue to play it, and (as I pride myself at being extremely good at this game) push myself harder and harder, till I'm either a) unbeatable or b) reached a stage where it doesn't send me into a rage?

Essentially, is it wiser to know your short comings and accept them with good humor, or work through and resolve them?

What (if any) silly or not so silly things get you worked up, and how do you go about dealing with them?

3DMonkey

(02-24-2012, 09:31 PM)TheFifty9Sound Wrote: [ -> ]I consider myself a very mellow and level person. I very, very rarely get upset or wound up about anything. I can happily sit stuck in traffic, I can have family ranting, raving and screaming around me without so much as a tick on my internal stress-o-meter, and even when I had to go back into surgery after my reoccurring disc problem and had to put off my trip to the states, I essentially met the problem with a shrug of the shoulders.

I am the same way. I get worked up by inactivity rather than these types of things.
When I first read "grind your gears", I translated to "make you angry". I almost never get angry, and usually when I do it is because someone close to me (hubby mostly) has said or done something to hurt my feelings. And that usually only happens if I'm ill or very tired for some reason.

I pretended to be angry with him last week because the report following his annual physical indicated that he needs to make some adjustments in his diet. He frequently "complains" that he is overweight because of my cooking. Last week he complained that I didn't make enough, and that I had deprived him a couple of times before (like telling him that eating a dozen cookies at one sitting was too much - lol). I pretended to be angry and told him he couldn't have it both ways.

I guess one thing that can really get me geared up is when I make plans to accomplish more than I can manage, and then only if I have allowed someone to depend upon me getting those things done.

Otherwise . . . I'm pretty chill.
(02-24-2012, 09:31 PM)TheFifty9Sound Wrote: [ -> ]However, the only thing that gets my blood boiling, the only thing that puts me in a foul mood and will cause me to snap unnecessarily at people, is losing on FIFA (an xBox soccer game).

It got me thinking, how do I approach this? Do I avoid the game altogether, knowing it sends me on a tilt? Would that be the spiritually evolved and awakened thing to do? Or do I continue to play it, and (as I pride myself at being extremely good at this game) push myself harder and harder, till I'm either a) unbeatable or b) reached a stage where it doesn't send me into a rage?

Essentially, is it wiser to know your short comings and accept them with good humor, or work through and resolve them?

I think, according to the Ra material, it would not be "spiritually evolved and awakened" to simply avoid the emotional situation simply for balance's sake. Some spiritual teachings and New Age personalities might say that putting yourself in that mindset is creating "negative vibrations" thus attracting "negative situations," but whatever emotion you don't encounter through the game, your Higher Self will probably throw you into another situation which arouses the same emotion.

I think seeking to understand why you get upset may help you to balance the emotion. Anger from losing in a video game seems to derive from the orange ray, competitive domination over others. The emotion is probably coupled with extreme satisfaction from beating people I'm guessing, which is an emotion which probably demands equal attention in balancing. Going into the situation with the intent of understanding the emotional charge it brings you, whether winning or losing, and as you're experiencing that emotion, delving into it seeking understanding of why you're feeling it (and possibly imagining feeling other ways in the same situation) may help bring some balance.

That's all my take, anyways.

What grinds my gears is probably more silly than your's and I've been thinking about posting a thread to ask for some help in understanding this catalyst. Like you, I am very rarely emotionally moved, at least as far as anger/frustration goes.

However, human bodily functions always seem to throw me into some sort of rage. Even things that are uncontrollable. I really first noticed it when I was young, when my brother would have sneezing fits due to allergies...I would get so mad listening to him sneeze I would sometimes yell at him. It's basically any bodily function though, from burping and farting, to blowing one's nose, to stomachs growling, to the sound from scratching an itch...it all irks me for some reason and I can't figure out why.

I've tried balancing meditation...imagining being surrounded by all these things and becoming furious over it, trying to explore the emotion...I just can't find the root of it and it just won't seem to balance.

I'm lost Huh
(02-24-2012, 09:56 PM)abridgetoofar Wrote: [ -> ]I think seeking to understand why you get upset may help you to balance the emotion. Anger from losing in a video game seems to derive from the orange ray, competitive domination over others. The emotion is probably coupled with extreme satisfaction from beating people I'm guessing, which is an emotion which probably demands equal attention in balancing. Going into the situation with the intent of understanding the emotional charge it brings you, whether winning or losing, and as you're experiencing that emotion, delving into it seeking understanding of why you're feeling it (and possibly imagining feeling other ways in the same situation) may help bring some balance.

That's all my take, anyways.

That's interesting, and something I probably should ponder. Perhaps because I make no attempt to control the world around me - live and let live, go with the flow, anything that goes wrong can be used to your advantage provided it goes wrong enough etc - perhaps FIFA arouses a little dormant controlling aspect of myself that never really gets a look in. The idea of controlling the 11 players on the pitch to carry out my every will and all that. Hmm.

I don't get worked up over any other game, which is odd. But I will think more on this, try playing for a while and see if I feel any different with this in mind.

As to your problem, I'm sitting here trying to think of some useful advice to give you in return, but I'm drawing a complete blank. Anything I offered up would be half hearted and undercooked. :-/
(02-24-2012, 09:31 PM)TheFifty9Sound Wrote: [ -> ]However, the only thing that gets my blood boiling, the only thing that puts me in a foul mood and will cause me to snap unnecessarily at people, is losing on FIFA (an xBox soccer game).

That is a matter of pride, and the problems of "infusion" by beings that feed on that energy.

You can take control of that/them by channeling that energy they feed you, into a different "method".

For instance, when I played I was in the top five in the nation, never really getting to play against the other top players. When I did, they would get angry, and eventually leave.

This is why they left and I didn't.............

You are competing against someone using a range of options in your game. There is hand/eye coordination, and intellect/judgement/learning ability.

What people tend to do is go into a mental state where they play from habit, and rely on the "repetitive/programmed/habitual" skills they have. Most will not switch modes in thought process to change or adapt.

This is where you need to channel that energy. You need to channel it into becoming them. It will change your game, and it is one of the secrets to being unbeatable. I remember I could ruin the game even for the hackers. Just change your perspective to that of your opponent and you better understand what you need to do. You know exactly what to expect, because they play from habit, with patterns.

----------------

Btw, one of my old partners was under full control/infusion, and broke off contact with me because of his anger about not winning. He was one of those guys that would spend thousands on the newest technology with the expectation that "faster" parts will bring him the wins.

After a year of not hearing from him, his brother calls me to say he is in a coma from an aneurysm. What had happened is that he got pissed off during a game and the last thing he remembered was black paint running down his vision. He woke up with one side paralyzed.

It is kind of important to learn how to channel your negative energy into a positive. Divert it, so that it can't build up in the wrong place, in the wrong thoughts, in the wrong emotions.
(02-24-2012, 09:56 PM)abridgetoofar Wrote: [ -> ]However, human bodily functions always seem to throw me into some sort of rage. Even things that are uncontrollable. I really first noticed it when I was young, when my brother would have sneezing fits due to allergies...I would get so mad listening to him sneeze I would sometimes yell at him. It's basically any bodily function though, from burping and farting, to blowing one's nose, to stomachs growling, to the sound from scratching an itch...it all irks me for some reason and I can't figure out why.

OMG, I laughed so hard at this. Only because I am the same way, with all the sorts of things you mentioned. My boyfriend always sneezes 4 or 5 times in a row and I struggle to stay unirritated. I am also a little bit like Howard Hughs in that I can't really think about dirt that much. BigSmile

Have you read Tom Robbins? In his book, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, his main character couldn't stand to think of bodily functions, or even the internal organs that facilitated them, so he always saw the inside of his body as light. Tom Robbins books are funny and out-of-the-box, but always have a spiritual aspect.
I just have to tell this story. Some years ago I started to detect a slight unpleasant odor when I would go out in public. It was persistent and I could not discover what it was. I began to say things like, I think I'm actually smelling the stink of humanity, or smelling the unwashed masses, or smelling dark energies, and the like.

It would not always be there, but almost always when I was out and about. For example, one day I was with my nephew in a doctor's office. I smelled the smell. I asked my nephew if he smelled it. He said no. I started looking askance at the elderly gentleman across from us.

The smell persisted whenever I went outside the house. One day I was in my studio cleaning out my purse. I found an old half-eaten burrito in it that I had forgotten about! (It was really wrapped up which is probably why the smell was subtle.) I had been carrying the smell around with me! But I only smelled it when I went out because that's when I carried my purse.

I laughed so hard when I found it, it was such a joke on me. It still makes me laugh at myself. BigSmile
(02-25-2012, 01:58 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]What people tend to do is go into a mental state where they play from habit, and rely on the "repetitive/programmed/habitual" skills they have. Most will not switch modes in thought process to change or adapt.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I find if I play 10-12 games in a row, I start to zone out, put very little thought into how I'm playing the game, and use the same route/tactic, ping ponging the ball around. It's like you go on auto pilot and once you're there you can't break it - And this is the point where things go down hill for me. But if I put a few days between sessions, I find a very rarely lose at least the first 5 or 6 games, as I've got a fresh brain and I'm mentally free to recognise and use all the options available at my fingertips.

(02-25-2012, 02:10 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]Have you read Tom Robbins? In his book, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, his main character couldn't stand to think of bodily functions, or even the internal organs that facilitated them, so he always saw the inside of his body as light. Tom Robbins books are funny and out-of-the-box, but always have a spiritual aspect.

Oh, Switters. BigSmile

Almost everything I am aware of that humans are doing, grinds my gears.
And I deal with it terribly.

Cyan

not going for metaphysics but real world.

Politics.

Drug war.

That we still die of OLD AGE? What is up with that, you really think we couldnt cure old age with enough time? Perpetual youth, could go for that.

But in reality.
My objection to this existence is fundemental. We are placed into a world where our only source of sustenance is by taking the life of another being and then told to develop empathy.

Screw that, and the prima logo. Give your self sentient creatures a random mutation for chlorophyl creation, then all we'd ned is to eat some dirt and poop out some diamonds.

Can you guys imagine that kind of logos. Where at some point in the past we used to rub some plant/virii cocktail onto our skin and at some point we formed a hybrid entity of sorts, a permanent mold grows on our skin that shimmers in the sunlight ever so slightly kind of like a mushroom and all we need to eat are different kinds of dirts and water. Our bowels would just be a lot stronger, a lot more acidic and our muscles harder, with mushrooms on the skin.

That way all we would need to do is go lay in the sun and digest some dirt.

Wicked ways that culture could go about developing music. And keeping in mind what if those mushrooms connct to the central nervous system directly.

Your whole skin would be one giant ear. What would a acid trip for a logos like that feel. Like every one of them is a earcell on a giant ear? We talk about giant light because we are visuals primarily. What of a ear centered logos. The great all hearing father? With their secret early symbol that is commonly misinterpreted as both a lady bug and a womans tidy bits. Their moses would float down the eary canal on a earwick basket.

Edit: long story short, i'm dissapointed in the general lack of scientific curiosity that our race has exhibited in developing itself into interesting random directions and trying to live for a million years on average.
Cyan, it's interesting you mention things like that. Just a couple nights ago I had a dream about developing genetic modification technology to the point where we were able to give humans chlorophyll and all the energy we needed could be had from the sun, and the minerals we need could be consumed directly from 1D. Heck, genetic engineering is so powerful that we could create cells which had both chlorophyll and the ability to synthesize minerals, like our skin does with Vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. No consumption necessary, just sunlight.

With our level of technology, this is not an impossibility. They have already put a bioluminescence gene into a monkey to make it glow...that is eerily close to the concept in my dream.
(02-25-2012, 02:10 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]I laughed so hard when I found it
And after the great laugh, greedily devoured the delicious snack.

(02-25-2012, 02:10 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]OMG, I laughed so hard at this. Only because I am the same way, with all the sorts of things you mentioned. My boyfriend always sneezes 4 or 5 times in a row and I struggle to stay unirritated. I am also a little bit like Howard Hughs in that I can't really think about dirt that much. BigSmile

The only half-brained theory I can come up with is that I'm not used to having a dense physical chemical body. I have no reason to really believe that...it's just a random guess and the only thing I've thought of that makes sense.

Quote:Have you read Tom Robbins? In his book, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, his main character couldn't stand to think of bodily functions, or even the internal organs that facilitated them, so he always saw the inside of his body as light. Tom Robbins books are funny and out-of-the-box, but always have a spiritual aspect.

Never read Tom Robbins, I've had him recommended to me a few times. Maybe when I find some time I'l pick up this book, sounds like I can relate to it :p.
(02-25-2012, 08:38 PM)Cyan Wrote: [ -> ]Politics.

Drug war.

I agree with those!

(02-25-2012, 08:38 PM)Cyan Wrote: [ -> ]That we still die of OLD AGE? What is up with that, you really think we couldnt cure old age with enough time? Perpetual youth, could go for that.

Oh that's easy. Just eliminate oxidative stress. Tongue The oldest cell in your body is only 7 years old. Neutralize the free radicals and your body will start youthing.

(02-25-2012, 08:38 PM)Cyan Wrote: [ -> ]My objection to this existence is fundemental. We are placed into a world where our only source of sustenance is by taking the life of another being and then told to develop empathy.

Screw that, and the prima logo. Give your self sentient creatures a random mutation for chlorophyl creation, then all we'd ned is to eat some dirt and poop out some diamonds.

Ah, but what about the microbes in the dirt?

Just kidding! Let's not go there! :-/

I do understand your point and totally agree. I don't like the design of this place. And, in addition to the animals killing each other to survive, I'll take it a step further: I don't like the design that requires suffering at all. Why so much suffering in order to evolve?

The answer to that is usually that without suffering, spiritual evolution takes too long. But if we have all of eternity, why does that matter?

(02-25-2012, 08:38 PM)Cyan Wrote: [ -> ]That way all we would need to do is go lay in the sun and digest some dirt.

Hey I could go for that! Maybe we should suggest it to the Logos.

(02-25-2012, 08:38 PM)Cyan Wrote: [ -> ]What would a acid trip for a logos like that feel. Like every one of them is a earcell on a giant ear? We talk about giant light because we are visuals primarily. What of a ear centered logos. The great all hearing father? With their secret early symbol that is commonly misinterpreted as both a lady bug and a womans tidy bits. Their moses would float down the eary canal on a earwick basket.

Man, are you high? Tongue What a trippy post. Cool!

It grinds my gears that people can't just wake up already. It's gotten to the point where I understand there actions and can relate it to myself but the difference is I have learnt from my actions and they never do. I accept it and have made peace with it but it still doesn't change. I feel like this is my biggest lesson. I'am sick of feeling one with the creator one day then feeling like all I want to do is get the f*** out of this place the next.

I'am sick of working my ass of everyday to get money just to live. I'am sick of rules and authority and ignorance. I'am sick of the negative side of myself and everytime I try to embrace it I feel sick to the stomach. I'am sick of not being able to tell anyone about anything because they don't understand. I'am a shining goddam example of a good loving person and all I get in return is suffering. I don't look at catalysts as exciting anymore as I know the feeling will eventually fade.

I know I'am in a negative mood/state as I'am typing this and I know I will feel differently for period as surely as I know I will take it away from myself. I'am sick of the veil. The only thing keeping me sane right now is knowing time is almost up and either things will change or I will gtfo of here one way or another.
(02-26-2012, 01:12 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2012, 02:10 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]I laughed so hard when I found it
And after the great laugh, greedily devoured the delicious snack.

Eeeeeuoooo!
Just contemplated what I wrote and calmed down a little. I feel better now I feel like that was building up for awhile. I just see oneness so much now and it is so much apart of my thinking that the frustration at other self's has been growing of late. I keep switching back and forth it seams every few days from a frustrated to joyous and content mindset. I'am getting what I want in relation to higher self I know that, I know this frustration is my test.

Yesterday I was at a festival called soundwave. It was an amazing experience I had never been a to a concert/festival before. Being in the crowd with 1000's of other people listening to your favourite bands live. In the mosh pit everyone was in synch. Very violent but in a strangely graceful friendly and synchronised way. All anyone is thinking about is the joy of the moment thus it is multiplied and unlocked in everyone. The circles of death are particularly interesting as they form spiral like and consume people within. Very fun. If anyone fell down or got hurt everyone near them would instantly help them up. It was amazing and I saw one clearer then ever. Lately I have been working 40-50 hour weeks and I guess being around other selfs more often. Before I would work a few shifts but spend most of my time with close friends or myself/family. To experience this then to go back to the disconnected drudgery is extremely painful.

But all you can do is move forward and trust in the return of that feeling. Patience.
(02-26-2012, 06:07 PM)Sagittarius Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday I was at a festival called soundwave. It was an amazing experience I had never been a to a concert/festival before. Being in the crowd with 1000's of other people listening to your favourite bands live. In the mosh pit everyone was in synch. Very violent but in a strangely graceful friendly and synchronised way. All anyone is thinking about is the joy of the moment thus it is multiplied and unlocked in everyone.

I haven't been to any metal concerts so violent that people get hurt, but I like all kinds of different music. The best concerts are the ones as you describe where everyone is experiencing the music through movement. I think it heals. You move the energy through your body and release things, and feel joy, and at times, as you mentioned, it is a shared joy with others and becomes a synergetic experience.

I have been doing a sort of exercise for years by myself: I select some song that I feel resonant with that day (a good sound system helps this experience); I do this in a room with some cleared space; I close the blinds so no one can see me (so that I can let go of any judgment); I then just move to the music--with my eyes closed--and let my body do anything at all that feels good or necessary. Often, emotions will rise and I won't know what they are related too, but I just let it flow. It is always a cathartic experience.

Concerts have always been one of my favorite things to do. I have even ferreted out the best way to get front row, or best tickets without paying the super-high prices: you wait until the day of the concert, call your contact (whom you can find on an online "good tickets" sale site, but they must be local), no later than early afternoon (that is getting close to when they dump the unsold tickets to street scalpers), and they will sell their good tickets for cheap. You then arrange a place to meet them to pick up the tickets.

(02-27-2012, 01:13 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]I have been doing a sort of exercise for years by myself: I select some song that I feel resonant with that day (a good sound system helps this experience); I do this in a room with some cleared space; I close the blinds so no one can see me (so that I can let go of any judgment); I then just move to the music--with my eyes closed--and let my body do anything at all that feels good or necessary. Often, emotions will rise and I won't know what they are related too, but I just let it flow. It is always a cathartic experience.

Sounds awesome! An idea that I have is that, when you are in that flow, in that spirit of this inspiration, you can consciously visualize things that resonate with you. Some examples of this: visualize a line, or a spiral, or a wave, or any other form/s that resonate with you, which will spiral itself from an infinite well below your feet, enter you, and go out in an equally infinite space above your head. The purpose of that can be many. Mine is that as it cleanses my mind and body complex while inside, it goes then further out into the planetary atmosphere and lights it up. Then you can visualize a spiral, or a line, or any other form that resonates, of the Creator's light coming from the infinite space above you, entering you, and going down to an infinite well below your feet, and as it cleanses you while inside, this light of the Creator cleanses and lights the Earth itself, when it leaves you when going further down. Then you can visualize that these two spirals, or lines, or waves, meet in the middle of you, in your heart, and mate. When that happens, and that is really up to your resonance, you can visualize these spirals, or waves, or whatever that resonates, spreading from you heart, from your hands, or whatever, out, into the world. And the purpose, or your intention, would be something in the line that you are now painting this planet, this Earth, or whatever you want (trees? animals? atmosphere?), with light/love. Make your mind paint forward the vision as it comes, and focus. =)