Bring4th

Full Version: The Nature of RIGHT SPEECH, as presented by the Buddha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Buddha taught many things. Amongst them was the way that we should/aspire to interact with one another.

one of the most important of these is Right Speech:

the buddha defined some of the qualities of RIGHT SPEECH:

1) it should be truthful.

this sounds like a no brainer lol. Tell the truth as best you understand/perceive it, without adding deliberate distortion.

2) it should be helpful

another no brainer Smile if what you have to say isn't helping the situation/person, why are you saying it? It doesn't matter if it still is truthful (the first quality) it still needs to be of SERVICE at some level. Just because it's true doesn't mean you should say it (calliing someone fat or obese for example to their face, like children sometimes do <grin>)

3) it should be timely

well, this is a difficult one. Let us say you want to say something, and it is both truthful and helpful. But is it timely? This is sort of related to the helpfulness (quality 2) aspect, but is more addressing the temporal aspect of things. Is the person ready to hear it?

4) it should be kind

you can have something to say that is truthful, helpful, timely ... but there is ONE MORE COMPONENT to RIght Speech. It is this: is it being presented in a kind (skillful speech) fashion? This is the Artful side of Right SPeech. Knowing how to say the Right Thing at THE Right Time.

- -

I only present this here because Ra makes reference to the Buddha as a self actuated Being, and I have heard Carla mention that the Chirst and the Buddha are 2 key spiritual figures for her. So I sort of deem it as being on topic Smile

thank you for reading. This is offered only as catalyst.

- -

blessings
i think u are absolutely right. kindness is crucial in communication. and we all have to remember that it is easy to forget so easy . kindness and awareness of what we are saying they are all tied together. how would i like it if i was on the receiving end of my own words. honestly sometimes i wouldnt like it, thanks for posting this
Very helpful thread plenum. Wink I think you've gotten the right speech part down, though Buddha also outlined a few other guidlines in the "Noble Eightfold Path":

Morality; right speech, right action, right livelihood

Concentration; right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration

Wisdom; right view, right intention