Bring4th

Full Version: Canned Soup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone suggest a healthy brand of packaged soup? I've been craving soup to eat at work as a snack in addition to my lunch. It would be nice just to make my own, but I spend enough time making dinner as it is. I normally eat fruit and a bagel, but I still get hungry as my job is partly physical. Any filling snack recommendations in general are appreciated!
Amy's organics, but canned stuff is high in salt.
bring some chia seeds.

if you need an emergency energy pickmeup, just add a spoonful to a glass of water, and you'll be good to go for hours.

The Aztecs and Mayans used it as a superfood, and could run and hunt forever on it.

- -

sorry that I totally sidestepped your question lol Tongue
(03-11-2012, 01:07 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]Amy's organics, but canned stuff is high in salt.

Yeah. Rice dishes with vegetables are easy to make..that would be a nice snack.
(03-11-2012, 01:09 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]bring some chia seeds.

I've tried that stuff! It's ok. I actually have some in my cupboard that I forgot about.
are you in america?

in england there are cute little condensed soups in cans, but i guess it's not totally healthy.

you could get yogurt and add maca or spirulina... maca takes a little to get used to. first time i ate it i gagged. lol.

3DMonkey

(03-11-2012, 01:13 PM)Icaro Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2012, 01:07 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]Amy's organics, but canned stuff is high in salt.

Yeah. Rice dishes with vegetables are easy to make..that would be a nice snack.

that's what I eat for lunch. Rice, beans, fun colored vegetables (bell peppers, etc), cilantro, lime. It's great. My favorite part is I can keep the same pace I had before lunch. And fruits.
(03-11-2012, 02:42 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]are you in america?

in england there are cute little condensed soups in cans, but i guess it's not totally healthy.

you could get yogurt and add maca or spirulina... maca takes a little to get used to. first time i ate it i gagged. lol.

I am..we have all kinds of condensed soup but they're crap. I'll look into what you mentioned.
(03-11-2012, 06:50 PM)3DMonkey Wrote: [ -> ]that's what I eat for lunch. Rice, beans, fun colored vegetables (bell peppers, etc), cilantro, lime. It's great. My favorite part is I can keep the same pace I had before lunch. And fruits.

Lots of options with rice dishes.
Amy's lentil soup is good - reduced sodium type (I add some Worcestershire sauce).
make a bunch of soup at once, freeze it in containers.
(03-12-2012, 07:02 AM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]make a bunch of soup at once, freeze it in containers.
Yes, that's how I do it... If you take a solid soup, not some watery substance but real vegetables that you blendered into submission it will keep you well fed for the rest of the day too.
Yeah..freezing soup is always an option.
(03-11-2012, 09:48 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Amy's lentil soup is good - reduced sodium type (I add some Worcestershire sauce).

I tried looking for Amy's at the grocery store last night..gonna have to try a different store.
I do the same thing. I make a BIG crock pot full of soup or stew all at one time then freeze it in containers that will fit perfectly into hubby's lunch thermos.

Latest soup is a really nice potato soup with asparagus tips. Yummy.
(03-12-2012, 10:03 AM)Ruth Wrote: [ -> ]Latest soup is a really nice potato soup with asparagus tips. Yummy.

Potatos in soup is always a good idea! Smile I have a simple culinary philosophy... A larger variety of ingredients is always better... so I usually just dump everything I find in my fridge that remotely resembles a vegetable into the soup.. Tongue

It's like painting in art class, mix enough ingredients together and you always end up with a brownish color. But it tastes great!
I do that when I start harvesting veggies. Clean out the freezer and use the last of the veggies to make soup so I'll have room for the new harvest. It is usually really yummy, and yes, a bit brown!

i didn't eat paint in art class. poor analogy.
I use either

Pacific soup: http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/creamy-soups

or

Imagine soup: http://www.imaginefoods.com/products#creamysoups

(whichever is on sale)

and add a cup and a half cooked quinoa + 1 can of organic beans. Makes for about three meals of soup. High in good protein and other plant-derived nutrients.

Will add two scrambled eggs per meal if I will be going to the gym on that day.

Staple of my diet!
Thanks Gary..I'll check them out!
Give canned foods the boot...consider it emergency stores only. Cans are lined with plastic rich in plastic oils and BPA. These are released in high concentrations when subjected to heat, and I'm sure you're aware that foods are cooked in the can to sterilise them. Add to that all the chemical additives and you are really harming your body.

You could try miso dashi paste - add a tsp to glass of near boiling water. It's available in large tubs in the asian grocer. Add half a tsp wakame seaweed (optional, as long as the miso has some dashi in it it's good).
*disclaimer: I have issues with the soy bean unless it's organically grown so I don't eat miso/tofu much. The soy bean is much like an oyster, it's a filter and due to it's composition magnetically attracts and holds onto toxins in the soil. Therefore all the fertilizers and run-off of industry that may be in the soil will be within the soy bean. There are other issues that are too convoluted to go into here. But research and see if it's for you.

Something I always have in the fridge is a master stock : http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/...ster-stock

You can boil up some whenever you wish and add whatever takes your fancy. If you really are low in inspiration you can just drink the stock and it's incredibly delicious.

I've cooked all sorts of vegetables, mussells, prawns, squid, tuna fillet, salmon and a zillion other things in it so it's just awesome now. You just need to keep replenishing the liquid in the stock occassionally and make sure you boil it a couple of times per week, and always keep in the fridge.

Good luck!