Bring4th

Full Version: audio ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ive had this idea for a while. take different sound sources, lets say different songs and feed them into a mixing amp. then let the result come out the other end. so if u took a song by say bob seger and one from joe cocker and mixed and combined them what would u get. i dont know actually but it is an interesting idea.
(03-12-2012, 11:03 AM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]ive had this idea for a while. take different sound sources, lets say different songs and feed them into a mixing amp. then let the result come out the other end. so if u took a song by say bob seger and one from joe cocker and mixed and combined them what would u get. i dont know actually but it is an interesting idea.
There is a term for the result: cacophony.
What's really neat is taking the same song twice, but offset just a fraction of a second, and it produces a nice reverb.
(03-12-2012, 03:33 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]There is a term for the result: cacophony.

I believe some avant-garde composers attempted this early in the 20th Century.

Their names are forgotten to history now lol.

- -

there is a certain beauty that comes from organised structure. Random can only be tolerated for so long.

Unbound

This is actually really common nowadays in the DJ world as remixes. My little brother actually does this sort of thing.

Some bands, such as Rosetta, the album Galilean Satellites (good album), comes in two parts. One CD or half is heavy sludge, and the second is spacey ambience, and you're meant to listen to them simultaneously.

I actually just enjoyed listening to the ambience... but it's a neat idea. BigSmile
kinda like a buffet.
azrael when u listen to that how does it make u feel ? im curious there is an effect im looking for but i want to see if u noticed anything different when u were listening to that mixed sound.

what im thinking is because the concious mind would find it hard to follow two rythyms it might make it easier to astral travel if u combined the two correct pieces. dont know havent done it yet.

Unbound

Ah, okay I understand the idea that you are going for. Hmm, in my experience I wouldn't say that the human mind finds it hard to follow two rhythms necessarily, just that the rhythms tend to be experienced simultaneously.

Sound is fluid, consisting of "pressure" waves that modulate a medium (which is everything). When you add two fields of sound together, it will blend them. Some songs together will sound like they have become one song. Others will often have such a degree of dissonance that the conscious mind becomes unable to concentrate which will actually make astral travel harder.

In general whether or not this would be beneficial for astral travel, I'd say no more than a single song. What is more important is the impression the sound has upon the listener, if it induces a state of relaxation which may allow the conscious mind to relax, thus allowing the body to relax.

It is more common to use "binaural" frequencies, or a stereo set up of harmonious frequencies, if you want to induce a particular state of consciousness, which is, of course, all astral traveling is.
solfeggioooo
you could take many different parts of a song and let the listener choose what to listen to.
Kind of like this one.

(03-14-2012, 02:19 PM)TheEternal Wrote: [ -> ]Some songs together will sound like they have become one song. Others will often have such a degree of dissonance that the conscious mind becomes unable to concentrate which will actually make astral travel harder.
lol Smile
favoriting
I first heard that song at a furry con, wouldn't you believe it!
lol furries like good music
Yeah, they also like freaky s***, like Repo! The genetic opera.
They had a showing of it at the last con to a full room, but I didn't stick around to watch it. Something about ripping organs out doesn't really appeal to me.

lol is that the famous Repo Man?
(03-18-2012, 04:44 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Kind of like this one.

(03-14-2012, 02:19 PM)TheEternal Wrote: [ -> ]Some songs together will sound like they have become one song. Others will often have such a degree of dissonance that the conscious mind becomes unable to concentrate which will actually make astral travel harder.

Is this what they call a "mash up" - I've heard kids talking about it. I LOVE this one!
(03-12-2012, 11:03 AM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]ive had this idea for a while. take different sound sources, lets say different songs and feed them into a mixing amp. then let the result come out the other end. so if u took a song by say bob seger and one from joe cocker and mixed and combined them what would u get. i dont know actually but it is an interesting idea.

on a related note ...

anyone tried listening to AUDIO at an accelerated rate? You can do this in Windows Media player or itunes ... you can set the playback rate at 1.2x or 1.4x faster than normal ... I'm doing it with podcasts in foobar ... the affect is hilarious! the pitch is not distorted (unlike when done by physical means such as cassette tapes), but people speaking much faster than normal is really funny on some level.

(05-02-2012, 09:46 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]

on a related note ...

anyone tried listening to AUDIO at an accelerated rate? You can do this in Windows Media player or itunes ... you can set the playback rate at 1.2x or 1.4x faster than normal ... I'm doing it with podcasts in foobar ... the affect is hilarious! the pitch is not distorted (unlike when done by physical means such as cassette tapes), but people speaking much faster than normal is really funny on some level.

Plenum - this is not a new concept.

Back in "the day" my brother and I would spend hours playing the little 45RPM record that came in his Mad Magazine, Alfred E. Neuman's "It's a Gas" which can be listened to here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-LvMxKvFY

And of course we had to play it at every speed available on the RECORD PLAYER! (I forget them all - 33 1/3, 78 . . . .)

It was A BLAST!
I know, I know, it is a remix, but the idea of a remix is beautiful: take group A, take it to group B, mix the song to match the idea between them, and you have something extraordinary. Listen to this, please: