Bring4th

Full Version: 2009.03.14 The interaction of Free Will and Karma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
this is a long extract from a Q'uo Session here http://www.llresearch.org/transcripts/is..._0314.aspx

I believe the highlight comes in these 4 paragraphs, but the whole thing is pretty awesome.

- -

Yet, how easy it is, when you know somebody very well, to be careless with your words. You know the other’s weaknesses. You know the other’s suffering. You know those points that are painful to contemplate. You know those memories, the reminder of which shall cause another pain. And when there is anger or resentment because of catalyst that has not yet been processed, how easy it is to push a button, to evoke a sad memory, or otherwise to cause pain by your words.

If you start a sentence, “This is what’s wrong with you,” think before you finish the sentence. If you must criticize, wait until your heart is full of love and compassion so that that which must justly be shared is shared in unity, in harmony, and in support.

It is especially difficult to remember to be gentle with your words when others are ungentle with you. It is understandable and human to wish to defend yourself, and we encourage those words of defense that express your belief in yourself and in your worth.

Be aware, however, of the temptation to give hurt for hurt, slight for slight, insult for insult. That entity which has insulted you, slighted you, or offended you in some way has given you a gift. You are blessed. There is always a blessing and a gift that accompanies being misunderstood, resented or otherwise hurt. That gift is the gift of self-knowledge.

- -

(Carla channeling)

We are those known to you as the principle of Q’uo. Greetings in the love and in the light of the one infinite Creator, in whose service we come to you this evening. We thank you for creating this sacred space in your life for seeking the truth and for coming together in a circle of seeking. It is our privilege and our blessing that you have called us to your circle and we are happy to speak to you concerning the issue and of karma.

However, as always, we would preface our remarks by asking each of you to use your discernment and your discrimination when listening to or reading these words. For our remarks cannot hit the mark for everyone at all times. Consequently, take those remarks of ours which have resonance for you and follow them if they help you, leaving the rest behind. We thank you for this consideration, for it enables us to speak freely without being concerned that we might infringe upon you or disturb the natural pace of your seeking.

You will notice that we spoke of our concern for infringing upon you when we asked that you follow the path of resonance when choosing what to remember about our humble remarks this evening. Free will is the first distortion of the Law of One. It is central to the way your environment works. We come from elsewhere than this planet. We are not your neighbors. We are not your friends. We do not have the right to give you good advice in such a way that you would be forced to listen to us.

We are a service-to-others principle and our polarity would be disturbed were we to indicate in any way that we were authorities who must be trusted. It is our pleasure to work within those limitations. We would not wish to have greater power than we claim. And the power that we claim is only the ability to speak through this instrument concerning the one original Thought of unconditional love in its many distortions of which free will is a primal one.

Among your peoples, free will is a prime mover; on a spiritual level, absolutely. On the level of the physical, mental and emotional, there is no absolute, for you are each other’s neighbors and friends. You do have the right to offer your opinion to each other when asked. You have the right to influence each other when you are using your power in ways that are appropriate, within the bounds of your relationships and that which has been requested of you. You do not have to be as concerned as we in the normal run of your life and in your interactions with those in your environment. It is acceptable and within the bounds of free will to express your opinion when asked, and even to discuss that opinion again when it is asked of you.

There are many ways in which free will needs to be abridged within your third-density environment. When you have a child, that child must have his free will abridged many times. He must follow the rules of the family and learn the limitations of his power. It is not an infringement upon free will, in the sense of there being any karmic damage, to keep a child from harming himself on a hot stove, walking off the side of a porch, or otherwise hurting himself.

As parents and teachers train their charges and show them and explain to them how to be good people, these seeming infringements upon free will are appropriate and needed. When one is asked to be a mentor or teacher, it is not only acceptable but also desirable for you to express yourself to the very best of your ability, for guidance has been requested.

And when you are asked questions, whether of a physical, emotional or spiritual nature, it is entirely appropriate to offer your opinion, again using your own sense of rightness and goodness to shape your replies.

However, it is indeed possible within third density for people to infringe upon each others’ free will in ways that do involve karma. Take for instance the institution that you call marriage. A marriage of equal partners may involve many spirited discussions, but if one of the mates reserves the right to give orders to the other, there has been an infringement upon the free will of that individual whose liberties have been limited without his or her consent.

In a work situation it is entirely acceptable for the leader to give orders to the employee as long as they do not shame him or abase him or disrespect him as a human being. When one entity uses a weapon to coerce or force another to do his bidding, whether it is in criminal acts or acts of war, this, too, goes beyond the bounds of acceptable usage and constitutes an infringement upon the free will of the one who is limited.

There is no question but that in all of those three circumstances and more there is much infringement upon free will among your people. To those who feel that there is a question as to whether they are acting appropriately or whether they are moving beyond the bounds of acceptable influence and infringing upon another’s free will, we might suggest that, in your mind, you turn the tables and see the situation as happening the opposite way, not from you to another but from another to you. If, in that turnaround, you see the goodness of your actions, you are most likely behaving appropriately and maintaining unity between yourself and the other self. If, when you turn the tables, you realize you would resent such a thing were it to happen to you, then you know that you have infringed upon the rights, the peace, and the liberty of another.

In general, you may trust that you are acting well when you are responding to another’s request by offering information or continuing a discussion.

We understand that when you have been awakened and excited and impassioned for the good, the true, and the beautiful by truths that have been revealed to you that seem fair and worthy of being shared, it is a great temptation to share these wonderful truths with others as a way of relating to them. However, we would suggest that you refrain from doing so, relating to entities not by what you think but by who you are; giving yourself to the relationship with them, not your ideas. When relating self-to-self you may encourage and support the good that you see in another in any way that comes to you, but rest from sharing your opinions except insofar as they seem to spring up in conversation of their own accord.

As we have said before through this instrument, it is perfectly fine to share a thought and let that thought drop like a seed on the ground of another’s consciousness. But, like Johnny Appleseed, do not look back when you have dropped that seed. Move on. It is not a concern of yours whether the seed takes root or whether it withers and dies.

You have asked concerning karma. In response, we would contemplate the power of words. If you bind another with ropes, it is obvious that you have infringed upon their free will. If you bind another with words, it is not at all obvious that free will has been abridged. And yet, especially when the one to whom you speak is one with whom you are in close relationship, the power of your words is great, perhaps greater than you realize.

When you are listening, you can do no wrong. Supportive listening is a blessing to all and you can err in no way as you listen. Words of encouragement are always welcome. They shall never infringe upon the free will of another. Encouragement and support create confidence between yourself and another and give that entity to whom you speak gifts to take with him.

Yet, how easy it is, when you know somebody very well, to be careless with your words. You know the other’s weaknesses. You know the other’s suffering. You know those points that are painful to contemplate. You know those memories, the reminder of which shall cause another pain. And when there is anger or resentment because of catalyst that has not yet been processed, how easy it is to push a button, to evoke a sad memory, or otherwise to cause pain by your words.

If you start a sentence, “This is what’s wrong with you,” think before you finish the sentence. If you must criticize, wait until your heart is full of love and compassion so that that which must justly be shared is shared in unity, in harmony, and in support.

It is especially difficult to remember to be gentle with your words when others are ungentle with you. It is understandable and human to wish to defend yourself, and we encourage those words of defense that express your belief in yourself and in your worth.

Be aware, however, of the temptation to give hurt for hurt, slight for slight, insult for insult. That entity which has insulted you, slighted you, or offended you in some way has given you a gift. You are blessed. There is always a blessing and a gift that accompanies being misunderstood, resented or otherwise hurt. That gift is the gift of self-knowledge.

Self-knowledge then leads you to a greater awareness of yourself. All things that are challenging to you are those things which promote spiritual maturity in those who are willing to work with the catalyst that has been given. It is against the ways of your culture to give thanks for the challenges of insult and injury through words. It is the way of your culture to respond in words of anger.

And my friends, we are aware of the rightness of the emotions that flood through you at those times. We do not discourage you from experiencing those emotions. We only encourage you to be aware of the power of your own words.

Do the work that anger offers you, that resentment offers you, that suffering offers you, within yourself. Give yourself time to work through difficult emotions. But insofar as you are able, refrain from sharing those difficulties with those about you. Realize that it is a delicate thing to determine what is a just communication and what is a bullying or a manipulative conversation.

We realize that you must play with these judgments endlessly as you strive for the most open and clear communication that you can find. We do not discourage the speaking of truth. We only note that there are many ways to approach truth. Further, there are the accompanying unspoken languages of tone, posture, facial expression and other points of body language which go into the communication that you are attempting to share with another.

The attention and the honest attempt to avoid hurtful and abusive language with another carries with it a high probability that no matter how imperfect your actual actions, you shall not retain karma.

All of you have considered at one time or another some situation where an entity had killed another and consequently had adhering karma from that act. There are many ways to acquire adhering karma. There is only one way to relieve karma and that is to forgive. If you feel that you have injured or harmed another, then we would encourage you to go to that person and ask for forgiveness. Then we would encourage you to go to yourself and ask for your forgiveness of yourself.

By far, the most adhering of karma is that which is self-judged. Do not fall into the trap of forgiving another but failing to forgive the self. For in a karmic transaction there are two. And the entire transaction must be forgiven before the wheel of karma can stop turning.

How can you forgive yourself? It is indeed a quandary! For you, in your creation, are the judge. That which you forgive is forgiven. That which you do not forgive is unforgiven.

Shall you be harsh or shall you be merciful? Have you the courage to forgive completely and start over? Can you die to old memory and awaken anew, an unblemished person? We ask that you give yourself permission to do so. In that way your life shall be sweet and there shall be no karma but only newness and the opportunity to bloom.

- -
My favorite part is this:

Quote:There is always a blessing and a gift that accompanies being misunderstood, resented or otherwise hurt. That gift is the gift of self-knowledge.
My favourite is this:

(03-15-2012, 04:32 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]Shall you be harsh or shall you be merciful? Have you the courage to forgive completely and start over? Can you die to old memory and awaken anew, an unblemished person? We ask that you give yourself permission to do so. In that way your life shall be sweet and there shall be no karma but only newness and the opportunity to bloom.

Thanks for posting, plenum! Heart
Yes Ankh, agree that part is pretty awesome too. It's Spring-time, there is newness and opportunity to bloomHeart
Ok Plenum, so do you have some super-link-up on the other side where, like some old fashioned switchboard, someone tells you EXACTLY what some of us need to hear on this forum?

I had another interaction with a co-worker who was quite rude in response to my attempt to value his opinion by asking for feedback on a proposed use of faculty time. He is younger, still on probationary status; I'm the head of his dept. and I've been at the school nearly since it opened in 1999--I'm also on the School Board and was working on the school's accreditation when he curtly replied to my invitation to participate in the discussion between me and the principal. Yep, I'm sure my ego is involved here!

I had been praying for guidance regarding how I should comport myself today towards this other self I'm becoming less and less fond of and POOF! Plenum answers my exact question....kind of eerie if you ask me!

THANK YOU PLENUM!Heart

(03-15-2012, 04:32 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]this is a long extract from a Q'uo Session here http://www.llresearch.org/transcripts/is..._0314.aspx

Self-knowledge then leads you to a greater awareness of yourself. All things that are challenging to you are those things which promote spiritual maturity in those who are willing to work with the catalyst that has been given. It is against the ways of your culture to give thanks for the challenges of insult and injury through words. It is the way of your culture to respond in words of anger.

And my friends, we are aware of the rightness of the emotions that flood through you at those times. We do not discourage you from experiencing those emotions. We only encourage you to be aware of the power of your own words.

Do the work that anger offers you, that resentment offers you, that suffering offers you, within yourself. Give yourself time to work through difficult emotions. But insofar as you are able, refrain from sharing those difficulties with those about you. Realize that it is a delicate thing to determine what is a just communication and what is a bullying or a manipulative conversation.

We realize that you must play with these judgments endlessly as you strive for the most open and clear communication that you can find. We do not discourage the speaking of truth. We only note that there are many ways to approach truth. Further, there are the accompanying unspoken languages of tone, posture, facial expression and other points of body language which go into the communication that you are attempting to share with another.

The attention and the honest attempt to avoid hurtful and abusive language with another carries with it a high probability that no matter how imperfect your actual actions, you shall not retain karma.

By far, the most adhering of karma is that which is self-judged. Do not fall into the trap of forgiving another but failing to forgive the self. For in a karmic transaction there are two. And the entire transaction must be forgiven before the wheel of karma can stop turning.

How can you forgive yourself? It is indeed a quandary! For you, in your creation, are the judge. That which you forgive is forgiven. That which you do not forgive is unforgiven.

Shall you be harsh or shall you be merciful? Have you the courage to forgive completely and start over? Can you die to old memory and awaken anew, an unblemished person? We ask that you give yourself permission to do so. In that way your life shall be sweet and there shall be no karma but only newness and the opportunity to bloom.

- -

Yes, thank you Plenum. There is temptation in returning rudeness for rudeness, but I think I've done a good job with someone who troubles me at times.
Plenum's post is so good, it deserves to be commented on again so it gets listed in the "view today's" posts. So much self-knowledge comes from being misunderstood. And I love the part about forgiveness. :-)