Bring4th

Full Version: green smothies amazingly good
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
we bought a vitamix blender 2 years ago and we havent used it all this much. that is about to change. we made

our first green smoothie today, simply amazing . we put kale, 1 banana , an orange , a pear, 1/2 cup of water

and 2 cups of ice in it. mixed it for a minute and a half and voila amazingly good. needles to say there will be a lot

of those being made this year. live food is health to the body imo . besides that i dont really do getting old.

i find nothing attactive about aging lol. we plan on staying young forever.

norral
Just had my green smoothie mixed in a ninja...mixed greens from trader Joe's, mixed berries and cranberry juice. Yummm
I peel bananas and leave them in the freezer.

For a smoothie I use a full kale bundle,
tablespoon of Chlorella
2 tablespoons of Cacao
teaspoon of Maca
dash of Ceyenne
tablespoon of Honey
small teaspoon of Celtic salt
then I shove maybe 5 frozen bananas on top and cram it all down
fill it up with spring water and turn it on

Depending on what I have on hand, I sometimes add berries or other powedered superfoods.
It is also decent if you add raw almonds or cashews.
Oh norral that's awesome!!! Congratulations on discovering green smoothies!!

I have a green smoothie every day, sometimes twice. And I do green+veggie juices too. Our VitaMix gets used about 4 times per day! It's my 2nd favorite machine in the house. We make green smoothies, almond milk raw protein power shakes, and savory veggies stews all on a daily basis. Sometimes soups too. It's such an amazing machine and the food is so delicious and healthy! You get a burst of flavor from raw foods.

Here's how I do my green smoothie:

I gather some fresh lettuce, spinach, and/or kale (super easy to grow in pots if you don't have a garden). I add whatever fruit I have on hand - usually a pear, a banana, + some frozen fruit (cherries and/or blueberries) instead of ice. This adds to the flavor, though the frozen fruit might not be organic. I also throw in a scoop of hemp hearts. I add water as needed. Yum! That's my usual breakfast.

We also make almond milk by soaking raw, organic almonds overnight, then blending on high in the VitaMix. I add a bit of local honey (soon to be my own honey when I get my bees), a dash of vanilla and Celtic sea salt. Sometimes I add a bit of maca and/or soaked chia seeds too.

We use this milk as a base for 'milkshake' type protein-power smoothies. I found a raw vegan protein powder that is really yummy.

For lunch I often have a savory veggie stew, made in the VitaMix. Roger gives lots of variations. I used them as a starting point to get the concept and have adapted them. I never get tired of green smoothies or savory veggie stews! Such a burst of flavor! And oh so healthy!

Enjoy!
yes! i knew Pickle would chime in.
(03-18-2012, 11:30 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]I peel bananas and leave them in the freezer.

I notice they turn brown. Is oxidation occurring in the freezer? Or am I leaving them in too long? Sometimes I freeze them if I have extra that are ripe, so they don't go bad. I was wondering whether it was better to freeze them peeled or unpeeled.

(03-18-2012, 11:30 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]For a smoothie I use a full kale bundle,
tablespoon of Chlorella
2 tablespoons of Cacao
teaspoon of Maca
dash of Ceyenne
tablespoon of Honey
small teaspoon of Celtic salt
then I shove maybe 5 frozen bananas on top and cram it all down
fill it up with spring water and turn it on

I usually do my Chlorella and Super Bluegreen Algae just in water, first thing in the morning. But that's pretty hardcore. Wink

I never thought to add Cayenne to the smoothie. I usually do that with the green drink. Does it enhance the flavor or do you add it just to get all your stuff down at once?

A foodie friend told me she adds a tiny bit of jalapeno to her fruit smoothies. That sounded weird to me, since the smoothie is sweet, so I've never tried it (yet). But she insisted it adds zing to the flavor.

(03-18-2012, 11:30 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on what I have on hand, I sometimes add berries or other powedered superfoods.
It is also decent if you add raw almonds or cashews.

Sometimes I do a 'milkshake' type smoothie with the almond milk + greens. But on those days, I make sure to have a savory veggie stew and veggie juice. The savory veggie stew has a whole bunch of greens in it, like 2 huge salads! It's amazing! But it works only with milder greens like lettuce and spinach. The kale works well in green smoothies. I usually juice my chard, collards, and wild greens, since they are so strong. I give a shot of green juice to my hubby, but I mix mine with carrot, cucumber, asparagus, or whatever else I have on hand.
Quote:I was wondering whether it was better to freeze them peeled or unpeeled.
Peel them first. I suppose if it takes too long to freeze they will turn brown, but that won't affect the taste.

Quote:I never thought to add Cayenne to the smoothie. I usually do that with the green drink. Does it enhance the flavor or do you add it just to get all your stuff down at once?

A foodie friend told me she adds a tiny bit of jalapeno to her fruit smoothies. That sounded weird to me, since the smoothie is sweet, so I've never tried it (yet). But she insisted it adds zing to the flavor.
I like the bite taste from the kale, and the ceyenne helps with the same zing.
Where do you get your Maca? I'm looking for a better source.

If I didn't already have a VitaMix and couldn't afford one, I would gladly sell my stove and dishwasher to get one.
Big bunch of kale, orange juice, two bananas, and kelp powder (good source of Iodine). I have this for breakfast several times a week.

I started using Kelp about 6 weeks ago and it's done me a world of good. I have more energy and I'm sleeping much better too.Smile
than what?

maca is sold in plastic bags, do you think that's bad for it?
(03-18-2012, 12:51 PM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]Where do you get your Maca? I'm looking for a better source.

This came up best for me, rather than the raw type.
i'd rathest grow maca. i'm looking to score some seeds.
(03-18-2012, 01:02 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]than what?

maca is sold in plastic bags, do you think that's bad for it?

Was this directed at me? If so, I meant better than what I get at Whole Foods. (It's in a bottle and rather pricey.) I should have said "less expensive" because it's fine; I just want to find high quality maca at a lower price.

It's hard to find stuff not in plastic so I don't worry about that too much.

(03-18-2012, 01:04 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]i'd rathest grow maca. i'm looking to score some seeds.

I know where you can get Maca seeds. I have some and planted them but they never came up. Probably too hot where I live. Maca grows on a windy mountain in Peru. The environmental conditions strengthen it so Maca grown it in a warm climate might not have the same properties.

Still, I'm going to try again anyway. I'll see if I can find where I got the seeds and let you know.

good to know. is it organic?
(03-18-2012, 01:02 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]came up best for me, rather than the raw type.

That's curious. I wouldn't have thought that.

(03-18-2012, 01:43 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]good to know. is it organic?

The seeds? Or Pickle's source? The seeds are organic where I got them.

where you get them?
(03-18-2012, 02:01 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]where you get them?

I don't remember but I know I have the email so I'll get it to you as soon as I find it. Remind me if I forget!

(03-18-2012, 01:02 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]This came up best for me, rather than the raw type.

This might explain why:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Superfoods-Or...5UZGUCPV8M

ok thanks
(03-18-2012, 02:11 PM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]This might explain why:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Superfoods-Or...5UZGUCPV8M

LoL!

I find that the inner self has much better "discernment" on what is of benefit to the body than the mental portion we always rely on.

Many "normal" foods come up bad for me specifically because they are cooked. But there is the rare incidence where something comes up best as cooked.
Also, I have had the occasional organic stuff come up bad, and after a bit of testing narrowed it down to GMO substance.

GMO is very bad for my system, for whatever reasons.
heres a link t 2.2 lbs of raw maca for 25 bucks. i dont know if that is a good
price or what

http://www.vitacost.com/Maca-Magic-Raw-Maca-Powder
Glad you discovered Vita Mix, norral! I'm with Monica - I'd sell my stove and dishwasher to get one.

And thanks everyone for the maca info - I've heard of it, but only in passing. After reading the review Monica posted I think I'll continue to give it a pass.

My green drink is a mixture of whatever greens I have growing at the moment (usually kale, spinach, basil, parsley), whatever fruit I have on hand, always at least an apple, cucumbers, ground ginger, celery, lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice and a powdered vitamin product. I don't worry about it being frozen/cold. I don't really like cold stuff much. I'm more of a room temperature person.

I'd like to add the kelp powder, but haven't found any yet. I live in a fairly rural place, and so I mostly eat what I can grow or buy locally.

(03-18-2012, 10:16 PM)Ruth Wrote: [ -> ]After reading the review Monica posted I think I'll continue to give it a pass.

Maca is an adaptogen.

And even though the cooked maca came up better for me, the raw comes up good for me as well. It's just that the cooked came up more beneficial which was out of the ordinary for me.
(03-19-2012, 01:19 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]Maca is an adaptogen.

And even though the cooked maca came up better for me, the raw comes up good for me as well. It's just that the cooked came up more beneficial which was out of the ordinary for me.

I've only recently started using Maca, and I'm using the raw and I can really tell a difference. A feeling of warmth and stamina.

I just ordered some of the 'gelatinized' maca from Whole Foods since it was on sale. According to that review, it's more assimilable than the raw, without being cooked.

Update: I'm not so sure I want the gelatinized after all. Here is the brand norral mentioned. They have some really good info here:

http://macatalk.com/faqs/magic.html

(03-18-2012, 06:20 PM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]heres a link t 2.2 lbs of raw maca for 25 bucks. i dont know if that is a good
price or what

http://www.vitacost.com/Maca-Magic-Raw-Maca-Powder

Yes that's a really good price, norral. Vitacost has a lot of my money.

(07-16-2012, 03:46 AM)michal123 Wrote: [ -> ]Green smoothies belong to the most palatable dishes for all humans of all ages. Green smoothies, as opposed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber.Smile

I agree Michal! I have a green smoothie every day for breakfast. Today I had kale, apricots and banana. YUM!!! Tastes kinda like the 'Dreamsicle' ice cream I used to eat as a child.

I vary the greens and fruit each day. Lately I've been doing a lot of purslane since it's growing abundantly in my back yard. One of the healthiest, most wonderful weeds! Tastes kinda like spinach and just grows wild!

Hey I just learned something about Purslane:

Quote:Purslane contains more omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid in particular[4]) than any other leafy vegetable plant. Research published by Simopoulos states that Purslane has 0.01 mg/g of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). This is an extraordinary amount of EPA for a land-based vegetable source. EPA is an Omega-3 fatty acid found mostly in fish, some algae, and flax seeds...100 Grams of fresh purslane leaves (about 1 cup) contain 300 to 400 mg of alpha-linolenic acid.

Powerful Purslane

WOW! Folks this is huge! I knew it had a lot of vitamins and stuff like calcium, but I didn't know it was such a powerhouse on Omega 3's and ALA, both of which people pay megabucks for. I'm gonna go get some more Purslane right now! BigSmile

Update: I use the Maca that norral recommended (thanks norral!) but I no longer add it to my smoothie. It does alter the taste so I'd rather just put a spoonful into some water and gulp it down. Then my smoothie tastes better. Tongue

what happens when you forget the lid on your Vitamix BigSmile
Odd, my wife did that this morning, and it did the same thing.

Bet she never does it again.
(07-18-2012, 08:14 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]Odd, my wife did that this morning, and it did the same thing.

Bet she never does it again.

random sync, huh?

- -

those motors are amazing; 2 or 3 horsepower. I've been checking some out, but the markups in Oz would blow your mind. There are some 'no-brand' retailers that sell stock from the same factory, so it's the same gear, but without all the middlemen.

for eg, Vitamix in USA is around 450$, in Aus goes for $700, and the exchange rates are about even. (unbranded I found one for 400$, still to pull the trigger though)

you guys have it good over there BigSmile
(07-18-2012, 07:55 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]what happens when you forget the lid on your Vitamix BigSmile

Haha, I know about that all too well! We're about to paint our kitchen, and cover up all the splotches on the ceiling from the VitaMix! (that have been there for years!)

You don't need a Vitamix to do the green drinks. A blender will work.

Just start with the greens. Break up the leaves. Put the water in the blender first, and feed the greens through the top slowly so it doesn't bog the blender down. Once all in, liquefy for about a minute, adding in fruit and other ingredients. Even a cheap blender can handle this.

Even one of these green drinks a day will make a huge difference in health.