Bring4th

Full Version: Forming and participating in groups: our STO path
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have one question.
Which depart us a bit from the topics in this forum.

So, we are working towards a STO harvest, right?
And, STO implies large groups of people united by similar goals and energy.

Then please tell me, besides our internet forums, facebooks, virtual communities, what else can we work on?
Ultimately I am more interested in working with groups in daily situations, more than working with internet groups (which are far plenty, but with few personal contact).

There are many groups nowadays working in different subjects such as, arts, humanitarian, charity, spiritual, development, ecological, healing, teaching, education
Of course, most are non-profit, volunteer or amateur ones.
Seemingly with plenty of space for STO linking between individuals.

Which groups are you involved with?
Do you have suggestion of groups?

I have in the past worked in a meditation group, a yoga group, one environment group, I visited 4-5 intentional communities, one fair trade group, one theatre group, 1-2 activist groups, a few organic farming groups, 1-2 anthroposophy groups
Currently, I am still linked to some of these groups, however I am living abroad so I miss the connection. Also because of a language barrier!!
I now seek to integrate new groups, and particularly go for a volunteer experience worldwide, so that I can form new links and groups.
I guess that's a part of my STO nature.... Wink
I would like to hear other people's perspectives on this topic as well. I have been seeking a "like-minded community" or group to participate with since '05, but have basically had no luck with it. I have met a number of people who were in the beginning phases of establishing a community, but there was always the big issue of "we just need to find some investors, then we can REALLY start getting things going..." Also, the personalities I encountered in these groups were often pretty imbalanced, with a lot of dogmatic New Age spiritualism that didn't necessarily resonate with me at all. Also they were frequently twice my age, and had a tendency to address me like I was a kid and they were the "guru". I visited a few different communities in California, and found this was a pattern at each of them. I have also observed that many of the communities disbanded within a few years.

For many years I've felt that it is very important for us to manifest self-sufficiency in our personal lives, and to find community where we can work together to create sustainable housing, gardens and energy production. I have refined my own lifestyle such that I have very low-cost (from my perspective) needs for food, clothing, shelter and entertainment, but I have no $capital$ to make any kind of investments with, for example building supplies, gardening supplies, renewable energy devices, etc. I essentially feel that I NEED to connect with a community to ever get involved in these sorts of things, simply because I have not been able to afford to do so on my own in the past five years. I have almost nothing in the way of resources to offer except my computer tech support skills and maybe cooking, or physical labor.

As I've said before, I live in a tiny town near a couple other tiny towns out in the middle of nowhere in Northern California. I moved up seeking community specifically. Although there is a relatively vibrant New Age community around here, particularly Mt. Shasta, I do not get any impression of community building happening anywhere around here. I have more of an impression of hermits or very small groupings' living deep in the woods, making their own little "ascension forts" where they are planning to wait out the chaos they assume will engulf the cities and more densely populated areas by 2012. I don't really want to get involved with people who live from that mentality, but I do feel reliant on my "other selves" to present me with an opportunity to get involved in community, and so far I have been let-down by my experiences in that search.
T
(08-28-2009, 05:50 PM)irpsit Wrote: [ -> ]So, we are working towards a STO harvest, right?
And, STO implies large groups of people united by similar goals and energy.

to be honest that idea doesn't resonate with me at all, but maybe i'm looking at it from a wanderer perspective - i didn't incarnate here to be with groups of people who thought the same way i did, i came here to interact with people who didn't.

in many ways i have opted out by being self sufficient in my employment, but what has arisen are individual networks and connections with people who resonate with me to differring degrees. what i bring to the table in these relationships and interactions is simply being myself - the 'work' i do for people is less important than the level of engagement i have with them and the support i offer, and this has become increasingly apparent in the past few years.

the idea of a group feels a bit too organised and artificial a construct to me personally, but if you are feeling drawn towards these types of pursuits then surely there are ways to move forward without a heavy financial investment?

thought that just occurred to me - one of my online friends applied for an allottment (a local authority owned large piece of land for gardening), it costs her £7.50 a year to rent and there is an expectation that she will tend the land responsibly. it has grown very naturally within 6 weeks from being her project to being something that is involving all the kids on her street, her kids became enthused by it, their friends and neighbours caught the bug and now everyone is preparing the plot and getting it ready for plants. that's the kind of group that appeals to me, something that springs up organically from the open heartedness of people and communities Smile
Thank you, gratefully, for your two responses Smile
I have rented an appartment with a garden space, and within 4 months I have grown a "food jungle" to say the least, just from the zero. Thr33tim3, you don't need money for gardening, in fact, buy a few packages of seeds, for about 15 USD and grow them! Even the tools they are not a must. I garden using my own hands for instance. You just need water, compost, soil and sun. It's wonderful and amazing to watch nature working.

I have found many groups during these past 10 years.
I have found them in many formats and flavours.

And I am not only talking of spiritual groups. Uuhh, I tend not to like particularly spiritual groups.
I enjoy associating with people with no big pretensions. I particularly enjoy most the groups which are more concerned with the environment and nature, with simplicity, and that are friendly, receptive and down to earth, and if are open to spirituality but not obsessed with it, that's great. This is my experience, but of course everyone is different and seeks different things!!!
Of course, if you search, you will find that groups are all different between them, and each is unique.
So, I guess you manage to find the brothers and sisters that can become your friends.

Communities: I have found, small families, larger groups of 5-10, and larger groups of around 30-100.
I prefer when there are no much rules and hierarchies to follow. Simplicity, and when money is no big interest.
Like I say, there is groups of every flavour, devoted to every theme, so you will find what ressonates best with you.

Nonetheless, for creating an eco / self-sufficient community, you need the money to built houses. Thats a hard task, but if you have faith and persistence, one can work for several years and gather enough money for buying a small property. I'm also hoping on this Smile

I am so grateful and happy that we are sharing this.
Peace for both of you,

ayadew

I did not come to group with anyone either. It seems this way for I have difficulty functioning in larger groups, even though I have released (I like to think at least) all social barriers which hinders me from being my full, loving self in such places.

Organisation implies limitation for those involved, rather some of us wants to be with individuals instead or to be alone and do whatever STO things from there... Smile I see action = thought in terms of result, you can just be alone and think positive thoughts really.
In our reality the complete individualization poses many problems, and I wish to keep these to a minimum to spare others the problem. If we can all connect more fully and harmonised in 4th density I definitely want to join all of you.

This approach has its good sides and bad sides of course, and I acknowledge all of them.. but no path is wrong or more optimal. We spread our individual vibration and affect each other always in any case.
Dear friend, I understand your feelings and options.

Yes, people that can serve others without having the need to integrate a group. Yet others seek to integrate groups because of feeling that a shared purpose can be worked, and that seems to create much more than if I would work alone.
Everyone is different Smile

And dear friend I prefer too smaller groups, as these have much more spontaneous organization than rules; I have a strong need to be my own person and like to have my space, and I tend to assume a too shy position if I am in larger groups, maybe it's a wanderer thing who knows Smile

(08-31-2009, 02:42 AM)ayadew Wrote: [ -> ]I did not come to group with anyone either. It seems this way for I have difficulty functioning in larger groups, even though I have released (I like to think at least) all social barriers which hinders me from being my full, loving self in such places.

Organisation implies limitation for those involved, rather some of us wants to be with individuals instead or to be alone and do whatever STO things from there... Smile I see action = thought in terms of result, you can just be alone and think positive thoughts really.
In our reality the complete individualization poses many problems, and I wish to keep these to a minimum to spare others the problem. If we can all connect more fully and harmonised in 4th density I definitely want to join all of you.

This approach has its good sides and bad sides of course, and I acknowledge all of them.. but no path is wrong or more optimal. We spread our individual vibration and affect each other always in any case.
(08-31-2009, 03:50 AM)irpsit Wrote: [ -> ]Dear friend, I understand your feelings and options.

Yes, people that can serve others without having the need to integrate a group. Yet others seek to integrate groups because of feeling that a shared purpose can be worked, and that seems to create much more than if I would work alone.
Everyone is different Smile

And dear friend I prefer too smaller groups, as these have much more spontaneous organization than rules; I have a strong need to be my own person and like to have my space, and I tend to assume a too shy position if I am in larger groups, maybe it's a wanderer thing who knows Smile

(08-31-2009, 02:42 AM)ayadew Wrote: [ -> ]I did not come to group with anyone either. It seems this way for I have difficulty functioning in larger groups, even though I have released (I like to think at least) all social barriers which hinders me from being my full, loving self in such places.

Iprsit,

If you want to couch the term..STO…in your search for a like minded group? I believe your search will be…if not unsucessful, then difficult. The LOO is, still, considered fairly esoteric to the mainstream. But if you want to join or participate in a group doing service? Then take your pick. However each group “clothes” its service to others doesn’t make that service any less.

Service is service…I believe. Even Qu’o said that service can be a small as petting a kitty if you frame that activity in that kind of mindset. Or doing the dishes…or..well whatever you are doing. With service in mind. Life… is service… in right frame of mind…maybe that is our purpose?

Richard

I love you Ayadew!HeartHeartHeart You spoke my thoughts exactly and I would not have posted, but I feel the need from time to time to share the fact that you frequently speak for me as well.Smile Now I shall kick back, think happy thoughts, and see what else you posted for me brother. lol Heart

ayadew

We are quite alike then, my friend. Smile