Bring4th

Full Version: digestive enzymes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if you take these, and what brand you use.

there seem to be so many.

thanks
(03-29-2012, 11:14 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if you take these, and what brand you use.

there seem to be so many.

thanks

I take them only when eating a heavy cooked meal. Most of the time I eat mostly raw vegan foods so don't need them.

I use the SBG Zymes and Spectrabiotic from simplexityhealth.com/nrg since they're turbo-charged with Super Bluegreen Algae.

Shan Stratton has a good formula too, though I prefer the Simplexity: http://www.corehealthproducts.com/produc...v_username=

Health food store products may or may not be enzymatically active. They might be other good brands, but I have experience with these and can vouch for their potency.

The most important thing you can do, though, for good digestion is to alkalize your body. If your body is too acidic (when testing your urine with pH drops) then the stomach will actually be too alkaline, resulting in poor digestion and heartburn. (People think heartburn/acid reflux indicates too much stomach acid, but it's actually the opposite.) Get your body alkaline, and stomach acid increases, thereby improving digestion.

thanks Monica.

I'll check those out!
I use Klaire Labs with my patients, and Designs for Health as a backup source. Neither are available in retail stores- but if you PM me I will show you how to order them online.

Taking digestive enzymes probably won't do much harm- however it is often an incomplete solution. If your body hasn't been breaking down food properly for some time, it has likely led to other things such as leaky gut, inflammation, allergies, dysbiosis, etc.
(03-30-2012, 11:55 AM)Tenet Nosce Wrote: [ -> ]I use Klaire Labs with my patients, and Designs for Health as a backup source. Neither are available in retail stores- but if you PM me I will show you how to order them online.

Taking digestive enzymes probably won't do much harm- however it is often an incomplete solution. If your body hasn't been breaking down food properly for some time, it has likely led to other things such as leaky gut, inflammation, allergies, dysbiosis, etc.

I've heard similiar things for vitamins ... that they are only available through a practitioner, and not retail. What is the reasoning behind that?

my genetic stock is asian, so there is lactose intolerance that has been there since forever. I am thinking that the external enzymes will help me digest cheese/ice cream.
(03-30-2012, 12:13 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard similiar things for vitamins ... that they are only available through a practitioner, and not retail. What is the reasoning behind that?

It's just a different marketing approach. The products are sold through word-of-mouth and independent distributors, rather than through retail stores. They save money on overhead and pass the savings on to the distributors.

(03-30-2012, 12:13 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]my genetic stock is asian, so there is lactose intolerance that has been there since forever. I am thinking that the external enzymes will help me digest cheese/ice cream.

Different enzymes are used to digest different types of foods.

I was on the phone with my friend Roger when I mentioned I would have to take an antacid due to a little heartburn in my throat. He said I really should take enzymes. I forgot that, however, until the same thing happened several months later: "Didn't I tell you to take enzymes? Try it!"

So I went to the Vitamin World store and got some pills with the three basics: amylase, lipase and protease. They didn't cost much. Next time I felt the heartburn, I took one of those pills and felt better almost at once. The relief was faster than with an antacid.

Some time later Vitamin World stopped carrying that stuff, and the seller wanted me to buy a big complex of enzymes for a higher price. Instead, I went to another chain store called Vitamin Shoppe. Theirs is called Pancreatin, and works just as the other ones did. 100 tablets for about $7. If I over eat, I won't wait for the discomfort; otherwise I take as needed.

I'm susceptible to reflux, and the enzymes seem to help keep that better controlled.
Hi Plenum,

I've found enzymes taken as a supplement do little for me, so instead I eat either kiwi fruit (with the skin, brushed very well to remove hairs), pineapple or papaya with or after each meal. I usually have one before bed as well.

First thing in the morning I take a tbl of montmorillonite (or you may find bentonite easier to obtain) soaked overnight in 500ml water. As I have IBS I also stir in 1tbl of psyllium husks. If you are interested I'll give you more info on where you can buy french clay wholesale in Sydney.

You can read a little about clay here as it's benefits for the digestive system are too numerous to detail:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/52946212/The-Clay-Cure

To settle digestive inflammation I also take a daily mouthful of fresh homemade colloidal silver. There is a good brand called The Silver Well, which is the one I have.

By the way since we (my son and I) started taking the colloidal silver we've not had a cold, flu or other bacterial/viral infection. It's been close to 5 years now.

Lastly Yakult is good. Good luck.
(03-30-2012, 12:13 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard similiar things for vitamins ... that they are only available through a practitioner, and not retail. What is the reasoning behind that?

As Monica said, there are differences in the marketing strategy. However, there are other differences as well.

One reason is that there is a thought process among many consumers that just because something is "natural" it cannot have a harmful effect in the body. This is quite untrue. Many dietary supplements pose a serious health risk if taken for the wrong reasons, in the wrong amounts, or with certain medications. Thus many companies who manufacture advanced formulations feel that it is important that their products aren't being used by people with little to no professional guidance available to them on which to take, or how to handle an adverse effect.

I'm not talking about multivitamins, or even in this specific case enzymes. As long as enzymes come from a reputable company that follows cGMP guidelines for quality- I'm sure they are quite fine to take and pose little risk to take. The thing to realize about enzymes is that.. there are many of them. Some of them digest protein. Some fats. Some carbs. An individual may or may not require supplementation with all of these.

Another reason that some manufacturers do not sell directly to the public is because they actually care whether or not people are using their products in the right way, and benefit from them, rather than just trying to maximize their profits by selling to everybody who will buy them.

Most people have been entrained to think "allopathically" about natural medicines, i.e. I have high blood pressure... what do I "take" for that? But it doesn't actually work that way... there could be many underlying factors contributing to one's high blood pressure, and so it isn't so simple as taking a "high blood pressure formula". Choosing the right product actually involves some thought and analysis on behalf of a trained professional. Beyond this- it also requires some training to understand how long people need to take things in order to get the desired effect, as well as the dosages. Unfortunately- even many people who are "trained professionals" still take an allopathic approach and rarely think beyond giving "this" for "that". And then there are "trained professionals" whose "analysis" consists of nothing more than muscle testing and/or "quantum" machines.

There are always exceptions to this. Some people are self-taught about supplements, and also have the wherewithal to think things through for themselves in a proper manner. I have patients such as this- they have the "green light" to experiment with things as they come across them because they have demonstrated to me that they know how to think things through, employ wise discernment, and are cognizant of the risks and what to look for as a sign that something might be going wrong.

Some other folks like to style themselves as "self-taught" but they really don't know as much as they think they do. They've read some Kevin Trudeau, came across a couple YouTube videos, read a few natural news articles, or took a weekend course, and suddenly they are a natural health expert- not only experimenting with themselves, but telling other people what to do, and what to take for this or that condition. I know I can't stop these types from doing what they will- but they don't have the "green light" from me to experiment on themselves, and I certainly don't condone armchair diagnosing and treating of health conditions by people with no formal training, whatsoever. It is one thing to say "this is what worked for me" and quite another to say "this is what will work for you". Every body is different. An important point which all too easily escapes many laypeople and practitioners alike.

But getting back to the OP... the reason that I use Klaire Labs for example is because:

1. Digestive health products is all they do. They aren't out there making everything under the sun. Companies that try to be everything to everybody can be a little shady, IMO. Doesn't mean they are shady, it just warrants a closer look at what is going on behind the scenes.
2. Their products are based in medical research, and they pay to have people on staff who can read the literature and translate it into helpful products.
3. They actually take it upon themselves to do their own R&D and innovation (which costs $$$) rather than wait for somebody else to do it, and then put out a copycat formula once the demand has been established in the marketplace.
4. They don't take a "one size fits all" approach.
5. The quality of their products are top notch, and they take steps over and above what is required of them by law as far as their safety and quality procedures in manufacturing.
6. Their raw materials are sourced from other companies who are also committed to safety and efficacy... rather than using the cheapest materials they can find.
7. If I have a question, I can call them and speak to an actual physician about their products, rather than somebody from their marketing team.

Many of the above things are part of the reason why their products are more expensive than other brands. We're not talking a lot more expensive... maybe $3-5 more per bottle. Definitely worth the added cost, in my opinion.

As with any kind of product- there will be your cheapo types who don't look "under the hood" and just buy the most inexpensive product with whatever they are looking for on the label. Ironically- these tend to be the ones to most loudly complain when the products fail to work for them... often concluding that natural medicine is a "bunch of BS" and seemingly making it their mission in life to discourage everybody else from "wasting their money" on it.

Then there are those who pay way too much for something just because it has a fancier label, or some slick marketing, or a flashy website, or a ba-gillion testimonials (but no research to back it up). The categories most susceptible to this are: weight loss, bodybuilding, and sexual enhancement supplements.

As a practitioner- I feel it is my honor/responsibility to continually evaluate all of these products, and to find those which present the best value to my clients, all things considered. Companies like Klaire Labs have my loyalty only so long as they continue to put out excellent products at fair prices.

The reason I don't use products which are marketed in an MLM or independent distributor format is NOT because I think they are all crap. Many of them are quite excellent products. Rather the reason is that it is too easy to fall into the "panacea" trap. MonaVie is a great example of this. Low on energy? Take MonaVie! Muscles ache? Take MonaVie! Concerned about longevity? Take MonaVie! Want to run longer and faster? Take MonaVie! Got cancer? Take MonaVie! And so on...

The two retail lines I recommend most are: NOW Foods and New Chapter. However, both of these companies have professional lines as well. I know for a fact that the FDA just inspected NOW's plant and made no "observations".. this is very rare in any kind of facility inspection, whether food, pharma, or supplement.

New Chapter is a company that is committed to certified organic, non GMO, etc. They have a biodynamic farm down in Costa Rica which is a wonderful example of where our farming practices need to go in my opinion. On the other hand, they were just bought out by Procter and Gamble. Some of the more purist types have already jumped ship and are switching to other brands. However, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait to see if any changes to the products are made before I stop using them.