Bring4th

Full Version: Vegetarianism Made E-Z (Recipes and Stuff - NO debate allowed here!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the famous, or is it infamous, thread

Life on Planet Earth > In regards to eating meat

a number of people have expressed how 'difficult' it is to go vegetarian. And, that thread has gotten really heated. So, I thought I'd start a new thread, to lighten things up, for the benefit of those who are genuinely interested in reducing or eliminating their meat intake.

Thread Rules:

1. NO debate about meat eating. If you wish to discuss or debate meat, or argue whether it's 'spiritual' to eat animals, please do so in the aforementioned thread. You might even find a bit of abuse there, if you're into that sort of thing!

Argument

2. No meat recipes in this thread, please. Not being elitist! Meat recipes are simply off-topic. If you wish to start a new thread about meat recipes, you are free to do so, and I promise (scout's honor!) that I will leave your thread alone. I won't even peek! So please honor the topic of this thread and keep recipes vegetarian. This simply means no cow, pig, chicken, turkey, deer, fish, etc. ie. nothing that ever had a face, fur, feathers or fins. And that does include clocks! NO clock recipes allowed!

3. If anyone derails this thread with meat recipes, argument or abuse, the thread will be cut up with scissors and/or shredded. We wouldn't want that now, would we?

4. Recipes and tips on being vegetarian are allowed and encouraged.

Ok, ready?

I'll start.

TIPs on making the transition to vegetarianism E-Z

1. Don't try to make too many changes too quickly. Be gentle on yourself. Many people start out just by eliminating 'red' meat first, and just do 'chicken and fish' for awhile, and then try eliminating the chicken, and then eventually (when you're ready) the fish...OR by substituting a vegetarian meal once or twice a week. Get the family acquainted with some great recipes, and they won't even miss the meat!

2. Eating out: Most burger places now serve veggie burgers. Italian restaurants always have some cheesy lasagne, or, if you're avoiding the fatty cheese, a tomato-y pasta. Mexican restaurants always have potato and egg tacos, rice and beans, and guacamole. Steak houses always have salads and baked potatoes, and many serve 'veggie platters' of rice and steamed veggies. Asian food is easy; many of the entrees are similar to the 'normal' dishes except they substitute tofu. Even fast food places now have veggie options. They might not be the healthiest, but hey, neither are their other options!

3. If you are concerned about sticking out like a sore thumb, or terrified of getting ridiculed by your family or friends, or have heard horror stories from your veggie friends who were invited to mow their neighbor's lawns with their teeth, don't despair! Remember that you don't owe anyone an explanation! Just say "I'm on a diet" and they'll just think you're trying to cut your cholesterol or lower your blood pressure. After all, it worked for Bill Clinton! Everyone knows that! They won't think you're weird at all. Not like when we did it back in the hippie days! You newcomers have it easy now!

4. Tofu. This is #7 on the list of "why people fail at becoming vegetarian." They buy that nasty white stuff in the Chinese grocery store, pour out the smelly yellow water, and then try to eat it plain. UGH!!! Who would ever continue on the veggie path if they had to eat that bland, smelly slime!!! Solution: First of all, check the expiration date. Tofu does tend to get sour if it's past its prime. But when fresh, it has a pleasant, slightly lemony smell. So make sure it's fresh. Then, get a proper recipe before you try to tackle tofu. Don't fall for the myth that all vegetarians must eat tofu plain in order to get their protein! If you want to wait on the tofu, that's ok! You'll do just fine on veggie burgers, eggs and cheesy stuff for awhile. You can always attempt the tofu later, once you find some good tofu cookbooks (of which there are many). Better yet, let your first exposure to tofu be at a Thai or Chinese restaurant. They do tofu right! and you don't even have to be a vegetarian to enjoy it!

5. Let the pro's cook for you at first. If cooking vegetarian seems daunting to you, then don't attempt it. There are plenty of veg cookbooks that are E-Z and use 'normal' ingredients - you don't have to get into advanced stuff like miso, or start growing your own sprouts. And you certainly don't have to spend $$ investing in expensive equipment like a VitaMix, juicer or dehydrator (unless you want to for your health of course). You can start simple, with ingredients you already have in your cupboard.

That's it for now! I don't want to overwhelm anyone with any actual recipes! My point for now is that you don't even need to learn to cook vegetarian, to start transitioning to vegetarian! You can start just by substituting with veg foods at your favorite restaurants!

Cheese, milk and eggs allowed ? Edit:OK obviously... nvn

Edit1: By the way i think this thread is really cool for those that are or want to be vegetarians.

I may even learn some great recipes from you guys.

Edit2: Is there any good chicken soup recipe without the chicken but with the taste being somewhat similar, i can imagine a good deal of vegetables/grains that could work it out plus spices.

Is there such a thing as artificial spice/flavor of chicken etc ?
Well Google is my friend ! Here is one Chicken soup without the chicken recipe.

Vegetarians need not feel left out. The recipe below maintains the golden hue and soothing warmth of regular chicken soup, but instead of oily schmaltz it gets its depth of flavor from long-simmered garlic and vegetables. The addition of lemongrass provides a hint of bright citrus fragrance, which adds a welcome complexity to the broth.

It is a simple-to-make alternative for the vegetarians at the table, and a satisfying start to any dairy meal. And while the chicken-free version cannot claim to have exactly the same healing powers as the original, a steamy bowl on Friday night still does wonders for the body and the soul.

Categories:Soup, Ashkenazi, Classics, Eastern European, traditional, Pesach, Rosh Hashanah, Shabbat
Ingredients

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 large celery stalks (with leaves), roughly chopped
1 parsnip, peeled and roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1 leek, cleaned well and roughly chopped
9 cups water
2 bay leaves
A handful of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 stalk lemongrass, split into four small pieces
2 Tablespoons coarse kosher salt (or to taste)
Directions

Yield
Total
4-6
2 hrs

In a large stockpot, heat oil and sauté onions for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, parsnip, garlic, and leeks and sauté for another 3 minutes, until fragrant. Add water and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about one hour uncovered.

After one hour, add lemongrass, parsley, and salt, and simmer for another thirty minutes. Let soup cool a bit, then strain into a large bowl using a cheesecloth or mesh strainer. If desired, add some of the vegetables back (discard the rest). Serve hot as is or with matzah balls, noodles, kreplach, etc.
(04-04-2012, 12:05 AM)drifting pages Wrote: [ -> ]Cheese, milk and eggs allowed ? Edit:OK obviously... nvn

Yup. Vegan recipes also allowed, but they don't have to be vegan.

(04-04-2012, 12:05 AM)drifting pages Wrote: [ -> ]Edit1: By the way i think this thread is really cool for those that are or want to be vegetarians.

Cool!! Smile

(04-04-2012, 12:05 AM)drifting pages Wrote: [ -> ]Edit2: Is there any good chicken soup recipe without the chicken but with the taste being somewhat similar,

Here's one for starters:

Vegetarian Frugal Housewife 'No-Chicken' Chicken Soup Recipe

This one is supposed to be very 'chicken-y' flavored. I haven't tried it though. There are lots others if you do a search. I'll check my recipe books and see if I can find a good one for you.

(04-04-2012, 12:05 AM)drifting pages Wrote: [ -> ]Is there such a thing as artificial spice/flavor of chicken etc ?

Natural foods grocery stores like Whole Foods Market always have a good selection of various brands of vegetarian 'fake chicken' broth. If you haven't been blessed with such a store near you, you can order some online:

Frontier Vegetarian Chicken Flavored Broth Powder, Meatless, 16 Ounce Bags

Organic No Chicken Broth

Better than Bouillon Vegan Base

Vogue Cuisine Vegetarian Chicken Soup & Seasoning Base 4oz - Low Sodium, Gluten Free, All Natural Ingredients

These are just what came up on my initial search. I'm sure there are lots more! Note: Be sure to check ingredients if you have any special dietary considerations. I haven't tried these particular ones so I'm not necessarily endorsing them.
Ah, I see you met your friend Google! alriiiiight... Wink

Here this one looks yummy, with step-by-step instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZuYRsFnqyE

If you happen to have a Chinatown in your city, you might see if there's a vegetarian restaurant like the one we have in Houston:

Kwan Yin Vegetarian Chinese Restaurant

My husband's Kung Fu instructor took us there, and I almost couldn't eat the mock fish dish, it looked and tasted so real! Even the texture was fishy; it was uncanny!

They have entrees like BBQ quail, mock duck, etc. Check out the pictures on the menu - you'll be amazed!

Note: This particular restaurant relies a lot on 'fake' meats, which are made from textured soy protein and wheat gluten. I don't consider these very healthy, as they are very processed, so I wouldn't recommend relying on them as daily staples. But, when transitioning to a veg diet and desiring 'comfort' foods, they sure do serve nicely!
What about low carb vegetarianism?

Also tofu is really bad for men due to the estrogen. I dont want to grow manboobs.
(04-04-2012, 01:08 AM)yossarian Wrote: [ -> ]Also tofu is really bad for men due to the estrogen. I dont want to grow manboobs.

I went through a period of drinking a LOT of soy milk. A whole lot, like all day every day. I didn't grow manboobs, but I did gradually become more and more emotional. Like, incredibly emotional. I didn't make the connection until someone told me about the estrogen in soy. I stopped immediately and my moods evened out quickly. It definitely does have an effect...

---

Sheesh Monica, I had a Grandfather Clock Biryani recipe all ready to go! Guess I should start my own clock recipe thread.
Great new thread. I too have issues with the soy bean, although unrelated to it's ability to raise or lower eostrogen levels.

I was wondering if anyone knows of tofu made with other beans. Can you make tofu with chickpeas for example?

Further, if you have made your own tofu would you think lemon juice a suitable coagulant?
(04-04-2012, 01:23 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't grow manboobs, but I did gradually become more and more emotional. Like, incredibly emotional.

This had me laughing so hard! Then I read "my moods evened out" as moobs and that really messed me up!

I will bug the wife for recipes. Pretty hard to get her to write stuff down since she just wings everything.

Thanks Monica for all the information and links.
One thing that is needed is a fundamental shift in the habits of meal planning. We are taught to plan meals around the meat (let's have chicken for dinner). So, plan around quinoa, or a vegetable, or lentils/beans.

Quinoa is a good source of protein (complete protein), and it is not a grain though it seems like one; it is a seed from Peru. You cook it the same way as rice. It has a slightly nutty flavor.

I like to make a salad from whatever vegetables I have. What I do is use a food-chopper, and chop finely any vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, carrots, zuchinni, cauliflower, etc. I then chop raw nuts and/or sunflower seeds. Then I add grape tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes chopped, some leaves of lettuce if I have any, olives, and avocado. I drizzle a little olive oil and flax seed oil, add spices (garlic powder, dill, Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute or whatever sounds good), and mix. Or you can add your own dressing.

(04-04-2012, 02:25 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-04-2012, 01:23 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't grow manboobs, but I did gradually become more and more emotional. Like, incredibly emotional.

This had me laughing so hard! Then I read "my moods evened out" as moobs and that really messed me up!

BigSmileBigSmileBigSmileBigSmileBigSmile

I've never experienced emotionalism with tons of (organic and on non-GMO) soy in my life and always have done hard manual labor, real work needing quality protein. (I refer to soy bean and tofu, as i have always avoided processed foods, as a principle).

One way to make tofu more chewy is to freeze it before cooking it.

THEN cook it or prepare as one wishes.

Tofu is apparently made firmer, depending on how fast and how much it is frozen and how much water saturated it, at the time it was when frozen.

The resulting firmness can rival chewy bread, all depending on the variations of freezing methods (just mentioned).

My wife and i discovered this decades ago, due only to the fact that we would buy in bulk and freeze tofu, to reduce travel costs to store (a 40 mile round trip for us).

The firmness or chewyness allows it to be sliced very thinly and layered with other foods.

I wish a nutrition lab would compare nutrition values for tofu... of raw vs sauté vs had-fry vs boiled vs frozen-thawed-prepped.

(04-04-2012, 01:23 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]Sheesh Monica, I had a Grandfather Clock Biryani recipe all ready to go! Guess I should start my own clock recipe thread.

Aw, sorry! Digital clock recipes are fine! Tongue

(04-04-2012, 01:08 AM)yossarian Wrote: [ -> ]What about low carb vegetarianism?

I don't subscribe to the 'low carb' theory so I'm probably not a good one to ask that question. I personally avoid refined carbs like flour and stick to fruits, veggies like potatoes, and sprouted grains. It's difficult to separate carbs from protein in a vegetarian diet, because the protein foods like beans and rice also have carbs.

So, I don't know the answer to your question, sorry. My guess would be that one would have to consume a lot of nuts and seeds to pull it off. They would need to be soaked and germinated, to avoid being constipating.

(04-04-2012, 01:08 AM)yossarian Wrote: [ -> ]Also tofu is really bad for men due to the estrogen. I dont want to grow manboobs.

Yeah, I don't blame you! The subject of estrogens in tofu is very controversial. I have personally concluded that it's probably the GMO soy that is causing the problem. I cannot fathom organic soy causing hormone problems, because Asian men have eaten tofu, miso, soy sauce, tempeh and other soy foods for centuries and I've never heard of Chinese or Japanese men having manboobs! Tongue

So I suspect it's the corrupted soy that is the culprit. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if organic soy is completely safe either.

My family eats moderate amount of tofu/tempeh/miso but we are always careful to get organic, except for when we eat at restaurants.

I don't really know the answer to this, conclusively. I'm just sharing what seems reasonable to me.

(04-04-2012, 02:10 AM)jacrob Wrote: [ -> ]Great new thread.

I'm glad you like! Smile

(04-04-2012, 02:10 AM)jacrob Wrote: [ -> ]I too have issues with the soy bean, although unrelated to it's ability to raise or lower eostrogen levels.

A few weeks ago I got some major water retention and couldn't figure out why. We muscle tested and found it was from the soy lecthin granules I had put in my smoothie. Then we muscle tested on some older soy lecithin, that had been in the frig for about 5 years but forgotten, and I tested fine on that. We concluded that today's soy is much more toxic than soy from even a few years ago. Must be the GMO, I'm guessing.

I tested fine on organic tofu and miso.

(04-04-2012, 02:10 AM)jacrob Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if anyone knows of tofu made with other beans. Can you make tofu with chickpeas for example?

Further, if you have made your own tofu would you think lemon juice a suitable coagulant?

That's a great question! I'm not sure about tofu, but there are lots of recipes for 'cheese' made from various nuts, like cashew and sunflower seeds. Lemon juice is used as a coagulant. I'll see if I can dig some of those out for you. They won't have the texture of tofu but might work in some recipes.
Looking for a really good sunflower seed pate recipe that has been road-tested.
I happened upon this while looking for something else, and I thought you folks might get a chuckle out of it:

Quote:Wow - this place is pretty great. Meat that looks like meat but isn't meat? What?!? The salmon sushi pizza we had looked like it had salmon on it - and texture was almost exactly like that of salmon. And yet, it wasn't salmon. In fact, I still don't know what it was. But it was GOOD.

The mixed "meat" platter. I'm still scratching my head over this one. The "pork" tasted awesome. It felt and looked so real! What is this stuff!?!
I really, really enjoyed the BBQ and roasted "pork", salty "fish" and the tofu and the "eel". It was all just really tasty and so confusing. Seriously. How do they do it?

It's from a review of one of those vegetarian Chinese restaurants, found in most Chinatowns. Houston has several that I know of.

For the record, such processed foods aren't necessarily all that healthy. But when one is transitioning to vegetarian and gets a craving for some favorite meat dish, hey why not? Looks, feels and tastes like meat! But no animal died to satisfy the craving.

Seriously, this review is right-on. Some of the dishes at the restaurants we went to seemed so authentic I almost couldn't eat them!

When cooking at home, I use 'real' food like tempeh, which is very hearty, but I don't bother trying to get it to taste like meat, because I no longer care about that. Here are my curried tempeh cutlets.
An example of a yummy, hearty, very satisfying veggie burger:

this is not a recipe per se but it is so simple

a nice fresh tomato and half an avocado. add spices to your taste

so simple and absolutely delicious
Alright, please educate me on beans and how to use them a meaningful way in meals : D
I am trying to build a little bit more muscle weight before I stop (do not even know why, but it feels like fun, so...), so I want to plan my eating accordingly.

What I imagine is doing this:
-Mushrooms
-Whole grains
-Eggs
-Some cheese (yeah, not the best option, but still, a good replacement for meat directly)
-Beans
-Eating fish once a week at least...

And the only thing really not explored is beans currently. Any advice, even links to recipe sites are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

(One thing: it should not be green bean as I do not want to fiddle with my K-Vitamin intake right now, as it would mean readjusting/increasing warfarin intake.)
(04-21-2012, 11:12 AM)Oldern Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, please educate me on beans and how to use them a meaningful way in meals

That sounds like a great plan, Oldern!

We have a Hispanic in the family, so beans, rice and homemade tortillas are staples in our house. We usually cook a big pot of pinto beans once a week, and have tacos a few times over the next few days. We soak the pintos overnight, then cook them with a little salt, Mexican spices like cumino and garlic, then serve with Spanish rice and guacamole. Oh and hot salsa of course!

I sometimes use the leftover beans to make refried beans. Just saute some fresh garlic and a little olive oil, and add the beans mashed. Very good for a quick taco, or served with tofu enchiladas or chilaquilas.

Chilaquilas: Saute some onion, garlic and jalepeno peppers in a little oil. When the veggies are almost tender (still a little crisp, not mushy!), add some chopped tomato, saute just a bit more, then add beaten eggs or mashed tofu and broken corn chips. (Be sure to get organic corn, if possible, to avoid Monsanto-tainted corn.) Top with hot sauce, serve with refried beans and tortillas.

Back to beans: We also make bean soups. You can get '9-bean soup mix' with spices included at most health food stores. Just add some carrots, celery and other veggies for a hearty meal!

Other legumes are very satisfying too. There are many great recipes for lentil soup and split pea soup. (When doing a search for recipes, be sure to include the word vegetarian, because many soup recipes call for chicken broth and/or bacon.) Serve with fresh whole grain bread or cornbread and a small salad for a very nourishing meal!

I always keep a few cans of vegetarian chili on hand, for a quick meal in a pinch. Just add some corn chips and salsa.

Another great legume is the garbanzo bean. Natural grocery stores, and even some of the mainstream ones, sell hummus in the deli section. It's made from garbanzos and olive oil, and comes in different flavors such as garlic. Great for dipping with veggies or chips, or on pita bread with onion, lettuce and tomato. That's really all it takes to have a protein-rich meal!

Eggs are a great source for protein and other nutrients, provided they're free-range. Commercially produced eggs have hormones and antibiotics, so I would avoid them. Not to mention, they don't have much nutrients. You can tell because the yolks are pale and sickly. Better to get free-range eggs if you can. Much healthier.

Regarding building muscles, check out these bodybuilders:

http://www.markusrothkranz.com/muscledvd...ledvd.html
(04-21-2012, 04:26 PM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]heres a website with a ton of info

Yes, that's a great site for info on raw vegan!

Here's how my vegetarian journey unfolded:

I was a typical junk food junkie, but had health problems, so got into alternative health at age 21. I gave up junk food and red meat for about a year, and then read 2 books that totally blew my mind: Survival into the 21st Century and The Essene Gospel of Peace Book 1 (attributed to Jesus).

I made a very drastic shift from a 'no red meat' diet to raw vegan, virtually overnight! This turned out to be a little too much too soon, not because I wasn't ready for it, but because I lacked the information to do it properly. We didn't have internet back in 1981! There were only a handful of books on the subject of raw vegan, and very few good recipes. It just wasn't practical.

I had that taste of raw vegan and I loved it! I felt vibrant, energized and even high; a natural high on life! But due to the lack of support, I later settled into a middle-of-the-road vegetarian diet for many years.

During those years, my husband and I would typically eat thusly:

Breakfast: Granola with soymilk (I no longer recommend soymilk, but there are nut milk and rice milks that are much better.) or a typical egg dish sans the bacon...or potato and egg tacos.

Lunch and Dinner: We'd take tofu salad sandwiches to work with us. Or we'd make cheese or tofu enchiladas and take leftovers to work, and heat them in the microwave. Or chinese stir-fry with fired tofu, rice and veggies. Or we'd eat the cheese enchiladas, rice and beans at a local Mexican restaurant...while pretending it didn't have lard. (We weren't purists whe it came to Mexican food - it would have been way more difficult because options were very limited back then.) Italian restaurants always had tomato-y or cheesy pastas to choose from. And of course there was always the old standby: Cheese pizza!

Lunch is a lot easier now. Back then we didn't have veggie burgers. But now most burger places have veggie burgers.

At home I'd cook enchiladas, lasagne, stir-fry, veggie burgers, falafel in pita bread, tempeh cutlets, or soups like miso-tempeh and lentil.

We ate really good during those years!

When I was pregnant, I added raw goat's milk and had eggs a bit more often, but other than that made no changes. Snacks were trail mix, raw nuts, etc. I actually didn't eat very much fruit in those days, though I did do a lot of juicing. (carrot, celery, beet, etc.)

Over the years, I leaned more towards vegan most of the time, but was never strict about it. I just felt healthier and didn't have the mucousy sinus stuff going on, when I avoided cheese.

My diet is a lot different now. Typically, for breakfast I have a smoothie made from almond milk (soaked almonds, hemp hearts, honey, vanilla and a pinch of Celtic salt), more hemp hearts, mild greens like lettuce or spinach, and fruit.

Lunch is typically a savory veggie stew of some sort, with an avocado or soaked, dried walnuts, or rice-almond bread with tahnini or coconut butter. Sometimes I'll do potatoes, baked or sauted, as a side to my veggie stew. and a big glass of fresh veggie juice (whatever greens I have in the garden, + carrot + cucumber usually). Sometimes I cook some rice and make sushi rolls (nori seaweed + rice + tofu + cucumber or whatever other veggies I feel like, + miso). Sometimes we have leftover rice and beans, but mostly the others in the family eat that. I am finding it too heavy these days. I just feel better when I eat raw, than when I eat cooked. Going vegetarian was, for me, a clear decision marked by instant action, but going raw vegan is more gradual and natural. Probably because I don't feel as strongly about it. It's not a conviction. It's just something I want to do.

Dinner and weekend meals, these days, are more experimental, being that we're exploring the world of delicious raw vegan entrees! A whole new world is opening up to me, and I feel much more energized when I eat raw. I'm learning how to make raw breads and crackers, and even raw potato chips! Pasta made from zucchini...that actually has a really nice al dente texture! With slightly warmed tomato sauce made from all raw ingredients. My next planned attempt is raw nut cheese that actually has the consistency of cheese! Amazing!

What I'm noticing, too, is that raw foods have such an amazing burst of flavor! Have they always tasted like this? Or do they taste different to me now? I think, as Pickle said, as we detoxify, our taste buds change. I am astounded at how I feel so many different flavors, on different areas of my tongue, when I eat a raw veggie stew! (The veggie stew has many variations, and it has become a standby for me, as I get educated on other delicious raw vegan foods.)

So rather than feeling deprived, I'm finding the raw vegan diet to be very exciting! so many new foods to try! I'm enjoying it.

I've heard of some people who switched from heavy meat-based to raw vegan overnight, because they were sick, and they later reported profound changes in their health and outlooks on life. I can relate, because 30 years ago, I did that too, though I didn't stick with it.

For my family and me, this is just the way we live. There are 4 of us in the house, and we're all vegetarians, we're all into juicing, and we're all leaning towards raw vegan, though we're in varying stages of that. It's kinda interesting how the others seem to be going in that direction on their own. I haven't stuck with it consistently, so I wasn't exactly an example to them. It just seems to be the direction we're all going in.

Anyway, for those who might be curious, this is what meals are like in a vegetarian household.

I make & eat a good bit of hummus. Following is a basic recipe which is similar to what I use, but then as Pickle said about his wife - I usually really just wing it:

•1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
•1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
•3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
•1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
•2 cloves garlic, crushed
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation:

Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.

Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).

Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.

I often use white beans, cooked up from dry, rather than the chickpeas (for some reason my husband doesn't like the grittiness of them). Sometimes I use black beans.

One variation is to add 1/2 an avocado

One is to add some calmata olives &/or spinach

or any greens really

I like to dip with pita chips - which I also make.

Also - since reading something here at bring4th about coconut oil (which is actually the consistency of crisco) I substitute it 100% for any shortening in breads & biscuits. I think it actually makes a fluffier biscuit that is even good in hubby's lunch next day.
wonderful ruthie.

heres a smoothie we made in the vitamix

norral's dream

1 banana, 1 orange , strawberries, pineapple chunks vanilla yogurt and ice mix for about 1.5 minutes and u have a great tasting drink. we wash the pineapple chunks first to get rid of the pineapple juice lot of sugar in that .this drink does not raise the blood sugar very much i tested myself 1 hour later not much of a rise in the sugar level. enjoy
I'm glad you're enjoying your Vitamix. I still love mine, use it nearly every day!
I'm so glad you're enjoying your VitaMix, norral! I love love love my VitaMix! It gets used about 3-4 times per day in our house.

I picked a lot of squash from the garden today, so I'm planning to make this soup for lunch tomorrow:

http://therawproject.com/?p=8050
Monica: Thanks for the recipes on the previous page. Will aim to try them in the upcoming weeks....I would say I will report back the results of how easy it is to make it, but I am literally unable to create any food that is more complicated than...hot dog, so my girlfriend will handle that : D
(04-23-2012, 03:39 AM)Oldern Wrote: [ -> ]Monica: Thanks for the recipes on the previous page. Will aim to try them in the upcoming weeks....I would say I will report back the results of how easy it is to make it, but I am literally unable to create any food that is more complicated than...hot dog, so my girlfriend will handle that : D

I understand! Right now I'm in the same boat...trying to wade thru the complicated 'exotic' raw foods recipes, in favor of the simple ones.

Here's a simple one that is, quote "heaven in your mouth."

Easy berry nut pie (no added sugar or flour - healthy and heavenly delicious!)

i just wanted to add this veggie here. not really a recipe but plantain is very popular in the west indian /latin community. i grew up eating these as a kid. u can steam them or boil them or fry them. they are slightly sweet and chewy and a little bland so they go with everything. being yellow adding a little tabasco to them provides a very nice contrast. i have eaten a lot of them in my life. they do not raise blood sugar and are very filling i would call them a comfort food . when u buy them u want them to be very ripe green plantain is different than the very ripe plantain so its best to see a few black spots on the skin when u buy them

plantain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantain
(05-03-2012, 06:53 AM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]i just wanted to add this veggie here. not really a recipe but plantain is very popular in the west indian /latin community. i grew up eating these as a kid. u can steam them or boil them or fry them. they are slightly sweet and chewy and a little bland so they go with everything. being yellow adding a little tabasco to them provides a very nice contrast. i have eaten a lot of them in my life. they do not raise blood sugar and are very filling i would call them a comfort food . when u buy them u want them to be very ripe green plantain is different than the very ripe plantain so its best to see a few black spots on the skin when u buy them

Oddly enough, I've never tasted plantain! (Except the most wonderfully useful medicinal weed by the same name, which is what I thought you were referring to at first.)

I've wanted to buy them but didn't, because I'd heard that they couldn't be eaten raw. Which sounds strange. Is that true? Can you eat them raw?

ive never heard of anyone eating them raw so i would really investigate it before doing that . they are wonderful steamed though with a little hot sauce
In appreciation for this thread of information,

A few of my favorite transitional recipes:
(if you are newly going RAW or vegetarian these will be helpful)

Raw Basil Pesto

2 cups basil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp himalayan pink salt
5 twists black pepper
1 tbsp nutritional yeast

place all ingredients into a food processor and process until the texture is what you like

Cashew Cheese

2 cups raw soaked cashews
3/4 tsp parsley
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
8 twists black pepper
1 large lemon juiced [you are only using the juice]
2/3 cups water

soak cashews for at least 2 hours
place all ingredients in food processor and blend till smooth
add water a little at a time, stop at the texture you like
great in salads, as a dip, a mayonnaise, to stuff celery and other vegetables, the uses are endless!

Sunflower Ranch Dressing / Dip

1 cup sunflower seeds
1 large lemon juiced
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
2 tsp dill
1/2 onion powder
5 twists black pepper

put all ingredients in the food processor and blend till smooth

Tahini

1 c sesame seeds, soaked 2+ hours
small amount of water, add slowly, stop at desired texture [it will be less than 1/2 cup]
pinch of himalayan pink salt

put all ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth

*add raw honey to use for a fruit dip
*add more water to use as a dressing
*keeps for 4 days refrigerated

Enjoy!

More coming..

Casey
continued...

Granola

2 cups buckwheat groats, soaked 24/hours; *optional- sprouted for 2 days, *rinse thoroughly! every few hours, buckwheat is super slimy once soaked
2 cups raw oat groats, soaked overnight, *rinse thoroughly in the morning
3/4 cups raw almonts, soaked overnight, then chopped
1/2 cup pecans, soaked overnight, then chopped
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
3/4 cup raisins/dried cranberries

combine all ingredients evenly into two large mixing bowls

add
2-3 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp vanilla
1/3 cup maple syrup
as much raw honey as you like [I use alot, this is a large batch, at least a 16 oz jar]

spread evenly over dehydrator sheets and dehydrate overnight at 105 degrees

place in ball jar glasses and keep in the refrigerator if you would like it to last the month

Casey

continued.....

Raw Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
(small recipe)

1 cup oat groats, soaked overnight, dehydrated 8 hours, then process into flour
8 medjool dates
2-3 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup raisins

place oat flower in a bowl
cut medjool dates in half and work with your hands into the flour
add maple syrup
add raisins

keep refrigerated

super yummy!

Casey
continued......

Cauliflower Rice

1 head cauliflower
1/2 large red, orange, yellow and green bell pepper
chives

place cauliflower into food processor and blend until 'rice' sized; pour into bowl
add all finely diced colored peppers
add chives

*option: add 1 cup organic corn

eat plain, mix into salads, use in raw vegan sushi, etc..

Pico de Gallo

5 roma tomatoes
1/4 large onion
1 large jalapeno pepper
cilantro and salt to taste

dice all ingredients, add together and refrigerate before use

Corn Salsa

3 ears organic corn
1 large red bell pepper
1 large tomato
shredded onion
shredded green pepper
cilantro

combine all prepared ingredients, garnish with avacado and eat with chips or thinly sliced vegetables

Zuccini Pesto Pasta

4 zucchini, shredded or julienned
4 small tomatoes, sliced or diced
1/2 cup pinenuts
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp oil
1 handful basil
1/2 tsp pink salt

prepare zucchini and tomato
food process remaining ingredients; add to zucchini and tomato

serve over lettuce leaf and garnish