Bring4th

Full Version: How and why do you meditate personally?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

Which position do you use and why do you find it most effective?

I have heard of many forms of meditation, from closed eye meditations to staring at a wall, what method do you use and why?

I am also curious about the general outcome that we all get from each meditation session, why do you personally meditate and what makes you want to keep doing it every day?

A couple more questions;

When did meditation emerge and start to be widely accepted in civilization?

When did you start meditating and was it before you discovered the Law of One material?

Thanks for bearing with me, my curiosity is pretty much piqued about meditation at the moment and i'm sorry if I flood the boards with meditation threads. :p
When did I start meditating?
Well, not meditation in a true sense, but Jose Silva's "Mind Control" was the first technique that got introduced to me at the age of 9. It stayed with me for years and years, although I rarely used it in a conscious manner. When I was in the mood for it, I went for it. "Real" meditations started when I got introduced to Law of One Material - as in a year ago, or less than a year ago.

What position do I use?
Sit in a chair. I know, I know. Well, my bad blood circulation in the right leg (which keeps getting better and better, thanks to my increased movements, but I will still not "push my luck", hehe) prevents me from abusing the traditional sitting techniques, but as Ra mentioned it once, the verticality is what is really a bonus stuff, and even that is not the requirement.

What techniques do I use?
Nowadays, it all boils down to four distinct style, all being mixed in a session or used exclusively.

a) Chakra opening meditations: For activating and balancing the chakras, for facing what happened "to me", "by me" today. It is a good start or a good finisher, and it always feels amazing when all chakras flows properly.

b) Planetary healing meditations: For the Gaia 3am/3pm meditation (in our time), for simply doing Earth healing, for using the additional power available if I feel like it. Key is being ambitious: nothing wrong with thinking the largest possible scale on this one. When if not here, one might ask?

c) Personal healing: To people I know that need help, friends, loved ones, family members, etc. Myself included, although I prefer QiGong for that, and healing is a natural part of activating the violet chakra, if done properly.

d) Astral journeys: for fun. I fly around, increase my mental awareness in the astral space, try pushing the limits (including but not limited to: turning into animals, into vehicles, into concepts like wind, sunlight or even whole planets, being in N places at once, where N keeps getting higher and higher). This is usually the best part for me, or to be more precise, if I am full of energy, that makes these kind of journeys all the more awesome, and being depleted is the one that prevents me from even thinking about doing these exercises.

And for why? Well, if there is an outside and there is an inside, it is a given that one would try looking in the inside by trying to shut out as much as possible. Which means eyes closed, being in a place far from society, or behind shut doors, etc. The usual way of how every nation's meditation techniques originate from, imho.
Also, I would like to add two very, very important things! Very important!
One: There is a reason why Ra did not mention any "proper" meditations, even when outright asked. There is no two person who is identical, and the meditation is the looking and the working of the inner self, which will always remain unique depending on who is doing it. The only thing that is nice if you believe in consensus reality, and take up on tools that you know is being used by millions of people such as planetary healing or different mantras. So do not worry about what you do, NO ONE can tell you what to do but yourself

Two: As a direct result of one, you should have no expectations when you first close your eyes. Before you get your own habits done and going - which takes a month, a year, a week, whatever is your preferred speed -, you should just do what feels right. Thoughts might pop up. You react to them. Then more stuff happens. That is natural. Chakra opening/balancing can give you a framework, but the problems and feelings that arise are yours, YOU will need to deal with them - no guide can help you with that really.
(05-06-2012, 06:21 PM)Oldern Wrote: [ -> ]What techniques do I use?
Nowadays, it all boils down to four distinct style, all being mixed in a session or used exclusively.

a) Chakra opening meditations: For activating and balancing the chakras, for facing what happened "to me", "by me" today. It is a good start or a good finisher, and it always feels amazing when all chakras flows properly.

b) Planetary healing meditations: For the Gaia 3am/3pm meditation (in our time), for simply doing Earth healing, for using the additional power available if I feel like it. Key is being ambitious: nothing wrong with thinking the largest possible scale on this one. When if not here, one might ask?

c) Personal healing: To people I know that need help, friends, loved ones, family members, etc. Myself included, although I prefer QiGong for that, and healing is a natural part of activating the violet chakra, if done properly.

d) Astral journeys: for fun. I fly around, increase my mental awareness in the astral space, try pushing the limits (including but not limited to: turning into animals, into vehicles, into concepts like wind, sunlight or even whole planets, being in N places at once, where N keeps getting higher and higher). This is usually the best part for me, or to be more precise, if I am full of energy, that makes these kind of journeys all the more awesome, and being depleted is the one that prevents me from even thinking about doing these exercises.
I am really interested in learning how you do the chakra and planetary healing meditations. Is there a specific technique or guideline for the technique?

Also thanks heaps for sharing, I enjoyed reading that, seeing how other people do things helps me tweak my techniques little by little to find the most comfortable way for me to meditate!

Love and Light Oldern
(05-06-2012, 04:50 PM)Observer Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

I have heard of many forms of meditation, from closed eye meditations to staring at a wall, what method do you use and why?

I am also curious about the general outcome that we all get from each meditation session, why do you personally meditate and what makes you want to keep doing it every day?

A couple more questions;

When did meditation emerge and start to be widely accepted in civilization?

When did you start meditating and was it before you discovered the Law of One material?

Thanks for bearing with me, my curiosity is pretty much piqued about meditation at the moment and i'm sorry if I flood the boards with meditation threads. :p

Chair and Burmese. I'm just starting (probably tried to meditate for a total of 20 hours - been at 2-3 hours a week for the past month and half).

-----

Closed eye. No particular reason other than I find it works (although it took me like 8 hours+ to feel anything different than closing my eyes; 8+ hours to feel like I was connecting with some sort of energy, over a dozen sessions). Haven't tried other methods.

I focus my awareness on particular chakras, as if my consciousness emanated from that area of my body. Lately I feel a pulsating energy in the chakra I focus on.

-----

I felt that I've identified reoccurring issues in my life, and short of medication or professional therapy, I thought I had done everything possible to resolve them internally. But it wasn't working. I just couldn't effectuate a solid change of my being (or at least not fast enough) so I started meditating inconsistently at first (because I did not feel an immediate effect).

But at around 8+ hours, I noticed that I started seeing my issues in new ways. They tell you sleep on things and sometimes the next day you see the solution to an issue. I find meditation results in a supercharged "sleeping on it" effect wherein the hours after meditation I find realizations on issues I've sworn I've examined every which way. It's amazing.

-----

Tried it before finding the Law of One material. Only started regularly doing it after finding the material.

-----

I hope this helps Smile

much love, xise
Thanks for sharing xise! love and light to you and I hope your meditations continue to show increased results! Smile
I keep my mind quiet when I'm out walking or hiking. I quiet my mind when I shower and I sit down and let the water stream over me. I enjoy music and vibe with it. Those are some of the ways I meditate...

I do it for the enjoyment of the exercise and the post-feeling. Afterwards I tend to be happier, less stressed, more focused, enlivened, recharged, more sure of myself, peaceful, joyous, giddy even. I also sometimes have breakthroughs where I'll drop some old mental baggage or old habits all of a sudden through some inspiration or discovery. That's always nice Smile

Unbound

We seek within.
Care to explain how you go about this "tuning"? Smile
If your link to the zen positions is an indication of your idea of what meditation is, then I probably, by your standards, don't meditate much.

Dictionary definition is simply "to engage in thought or contemplation; reflect."

By the dictionary definition, I meditate 24/7 - well, I may take a few hours off each night to let my body rest, but seriously, every waking minute I am thinking and contemplating. Maybe that is partly because of my Virgo analytic nature, I don't know. But it really is how I am.

This time of year I'm spending a great deal of time working in the garden and look a little like the photo (if it loads correctly).

I do other things, too, but honestly, "thinking while doing" is my main meditative technique. I've learned a great deal by doing and paying attention to the results.

Note to Oldern - I, too, took the Silva courses a long time ago. I have used the spiritual lab and blank screen ever since I took the course.

Unbound

We seek within.
Brilliant TheEternal!
Wow. Perfectly done. Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me with such detail. Smile
Some wonderful insights from the rather profound Alan Watts.

Unbound

Alan Watts pretty much existed in the 5th, pretty sure.

Maybe I should start compiling some of my knowledge and making it available...

This is entirely circumstantial and corresponds to how my day unfolds and primarily on the factor of how often I am not engaged in external interaction and may retain silence and acquiescence. I find no position more effective than the other and the posture of my physical vehicle has not made any difference in sustaining a meditative state or how deep a state I may reach, though in order of preference I enjoy a seated position (at my desk, on the train, on the bus), laying position (bed) and standing (walking). I enjoy the lotus style, cross-legged meditation as well but have found that my legs will grow numb in this way and, unrelated to this reason, I have not bothered to implement this position for quite some time as I came to the realization that meditation isn't exclusively achieved from this state.

My normal state of being is that of calm stillness and detached and distant emptiness. I diligently ensure that this state is retained from the moment I awaken to the time that I will lay down to rest. I find that in this state of 'non-meditation' that the entirety of my day becomes a fluid meditation session. I seek to retain mindfulness throughout all moments.

In closed eye meditation I will go about a few methods and go with whichever feels right at that time. Sometimes I may seek to quiet down all mental chatter and focus upon silence in order to better listen to the intuitive voice within which guides me and directs me to what I should next do. Other times I will allow my thoughts to run rampant and observe what flows through, making note of which thoughts to sustain and cultivate and which to let fade away depending on how 'wholesome' or 'unwholesome' they are. Any mental formations which arise that are not in accordance with my true self (e.g. anxiety, worry) I take as internal catalyst and work through them until they are corrected and integrated. I take great care in not becoming certain thoughts or identifying them as encompassing myself.

If I am not doing the aforementioned methods, I am either in a state of prayer to Creator, zealously pious thanksgiving, wishing/focusing my thoughts upon manifesting absolute peace, harmony, unity, love, light, or reaffirmation of the interpenetrating and all-pervading majesty of Creator. I will very often employ the aid of 432hz music in conjunction with the above in order to empower my thoughts and heighten my state of consciousness.

When my perception is not directed inwards I am merely observing what forms enter my visual awareness and am very much so following gnosis, taking note of each and every sign and circumstance which present themselves to me and which instances I observe correspond to/are confirmations/indicators of my thoughts in any way.

Why do you personally meditate and what makes you want to keep doing it every day?

By seeking to emulate the void-like state of stillness and emptiness I am subconsciously attempting to mimic the state of the Creator. I find that in any of my meditations I consciously sense the growing and am actively solidifying the connection between myself and my Higher Aspect. I find that my resulting sense of self appears to melt into those things around me and my awareness of self shifts entirely from my body to my field of consciousness so there becomes a distinction between vehicle and pilot. The more still I am, the more rapidly I feel an expansion and chaotic swirling. The emptier I become, the more I am filled with peace and feel extremely empowered. As I allow this power to grow, I gather it and dispense it, as a crashing wave fading into the ocean once more. I do not allow this sense of empowerment I feel from remaining in this state to deter me or influence my thoughts in a prideful or arrogant way and if I sense the tiniest indication that this is festering I will center my focus upon retaining a humble disposition, and fade back to the comforting embrace of the abyss.

When I meditate it is for a number of reasons, but most importantly it is to connect with the Creator. The only church congregation I have and will ever attend is within my own mind. It serves as the only shrine, altar, or temple I will ever need in which to worship in, and it is much more successful for those ends. It is in cultivating this deep-rooted and infinitely growing connection and constantly and lovingly maintaining it which enables and inspires me to continue, as well as perceiving the direct results of this connection. Apart from this, on a more localized level, meditation has allowed me to feel like "me" again, or rather, a more calmer, kinder, humbler, compassionate version of "me" as it has served to smooth out the various nuances of myself and work on bettering any portion of myself which I feel needs refinement.

I do not recall exactly when I began meditating but would approximate that I developed some fledgling interest in it 2-3 years ago, a little while before I discovered the Law of One material. As a side note to all I have spoken of, I have found that meditation in conjunction with psychedelic-altered senses or entheogenic-induced trances has facilitated highly transcendental states of being and indeed it was through these initial experiences which led me to actively pursue meditation as a daily, regular practice to develop. Above all else, I have found meditation to be very spiritually detoxifying. Smile

Wow GV;
Incredible post.
I only recently started to meditate on a regular basis, yet already effects can be seen. It is a very good tool to step away from the old emotional states, thoughts patterns and worries you've accumulated throughout the day. You may not even be aware of them until you quiet your mind.

Consider all the programs and processes going on in the background on your computer. Not until you push Ctrl+Alt+Delete may you be aware of what is running. Meditation is like sorting out the weeds, keeping only the most beautiful and fruitful of plants in the garden of your mind.

So, meditation is really a given if you want a clean and healthy state of mind.
@Observer: Thank you. Smile

@Wander: I enjoy your analogy of meditation and retaining mindfulness equating to opening up Windows Task Manager on one's computer. Very perceptive comparison, I'd say.
And I like the gardening analogy. I would point out, also, that sometimes what we consider "weeds" are, in fact, very helpful, fruitful plants (e.g. dandelion).

Just a thought.
Since I've been trying the past few months to meditate and have tried it several times I really appreciate this thread and all the responses!

Thanks guys!
(05-09-2012, 03:50 PM)Daydreamin Wrote: [ -> ]Since I've been trying the past few months to meditate and have tried it several times I really appreciate this thread and all the responses!

Thanks guys!

no problems

Meerie

(05-08-2012, 03:12 PM)Namaste Wrote: [ -> ]Some wonderful insights from the rather profound Alan Watts.

Alan Watts is so
:idea::idea::idea:
SmileSmileSmile
HeartHeartHeart

thanks for sharing this vid, Namaste, when I listen to him, I feel like swimming in the ocean on a beautiful sunny day, just going with the flow of the waves and rejoicing in a serene peaceful state of mind.

Avocado

My favorite is the traditional pose. I regularly use a beanbag because my legs sometimes fall asleep. When I don't have as much energy I like to lye down.

I have heard of many forms of meditation, from closed eye meditations to staring at a wall, what method do you use and why? Closed eye concentration meditation mostly. Once I get better I will practice insight meditation.

Why do you personally meditate and what makes you want to keep doing it every day? I meditate because it is soothing and calm. I thoroughly enjoy a nice soak in mediation. Sometimes it's rough and actually feels painful but I know it's to grow from. I'm thankful for both sides of duality. My primary motivator for meditation is to cultivate extraordinary states of consciousness. I feel I'm getting closer but have not had what I would consider full blown "trippy" experiences.

When did you start meditating and was it before you discovered the Law of One material? I started meditating sporadically through 2011. Many things have motivated me to meditate more but the LOO hasn't as much but I love the simple answer to that one question regarding meditation: "I am Ra, no." C:

The biggest thing I've ran into since the LOO was Daniel Ingram's book Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha. It's a meditation "cook book". It takes you through the stages of enlightenment, including the dark night of the soul, and through the various altered states of meditation. This book is a map of the vast mysterious territory we are all familiar with.

Download here: http://www.interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml
I used to have a lot of trouble achieving even a slight measure of calm. So I put my active mind to use learning Madhyamaka philosophy (from Buddhism) and getting it drilled into my head to the point where the reasonings weren't just mentally understood, but became subconscious. This made it subsequently easy for me, even though I couldn't get very calm at all, to do insight/vipassana meditation on eventually a near-constant basis, as I would look at something and very quickly register "yep, it's impermanent; yep, it's not related to any separate self in me; yep, it's in a matrix with its whole environment," et cetera.

So for me meditation has been mainly analytical. I hear it's more common for people to start by getting their minds calm and then this sort of insight naturally arises from there, but I have also heard that some people do it the opposite way. Now I'm more focused on becoming calmer and more centered. So, to answer the thread questions:

Which position do you use and why do you find it most effective? I lie on my back because anything else is uncomfortable.

I have heard of many forms of meditation, from closed eye meditations to staring at a wall, what method do you use and why? I have experimented and it seems to me that I get the best results by keeping just enough of my attention on my breathing not to fly off into la-la land, but not enough for it really to be called a concentration practice. In that space I'm loosely anchored into an awake, alert state where my chakras can become active and dump stuck material for cognitive processing and energetic dispersal. This is the goal. I am still too mentally busy to have access to trance states. I also recommend mantra meditation for its effect on the energy system. I've traditionally used Buddhist mantras.

Why do you personally meditate and what makes you want to keep doing it every day? I am actually very averse to meditation; I've pretty much had to be dragged into it as a path of last resort. I'm still not doing it every day and I'm basically waiting for my karma to play itself out. My subconscious is gradually being forced into the realization that there's no better way to clear my baggage. The stuff that comes up is just scary. I have a lot of pent up negativity.

When did you start meditating and was it before you discovered the Law of One material? I dabbled in meditation well before I discovered LOO.
Open eyed if i'm reading something, Eyes shut if i'm not.
Laying down before getting up or before falling asleep.
Sitting, Standing.. Feet preferably still and on the ground, this increases the energy coming up through your feet up the crown by atleast x2 (just like how lieing still, not drawing in new energies for a minute making you numb, increases the activity of your indigo ray by x2)
Walking, Jogging, Running (staying calm enough to meditate whilst running is damn difficult tho)
If i meditate for less than 5 hours one day, i go insane (well.. maybe, idk, never tried)

Hand with fingers over my celiac and solar plexus.. or down between my thighs with arms tightly along my sides to boost all areas they touch upon.

But how i balance/energize is something in flux.. to keep up-to-date with my personal developments, i need to change around in how i do things (which chakras are focused upon and combined with which and how i "see" them as moving expanding and blending).
I try everything, to make sure i'm always doing it the currently most effective way.
A teacher will not teach you a way thats gona always be the best way for you...
Unless you never grow/change.

Find/learn it for yourself, else you're eventualy gona be stuck with something outdated.

I meditate because:
I'm utterly unimpressed with the so called temptations of this life...
If your yellow and indigo ray work as a team, like they should, dreams will be more epic/intresting than any movie/game you have ever seen/played.
I dont care for imbalance/instability or extremes, and prefer having clean emotions/thoughts aswell as a dictatorship over my mind and body.. rather than not.
Not being capable of preventing actions, thoughts and emotions you disagree with is a b****.

And last but not least... to become light.
I love how my perspective is always broadened after reading your posts Liet Smile All that meditation makes you very down-to-earth.
(05-20-2012, 04:20 PM)Wander Wrote: [ -> ]I love how my perspective is always broadened after reading your posts Liet Smile All that meditation makes you very down-to-earth.

Liet does things differently from anyone else. A new approach has to be started by someone ... done for the first time.

pioneers are always viewed with - "why are you doing that? how can that work?"