Bring4th

Full Version: Sugar Makes You Dumb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have been reading the recent flurry of articles about the emerging scientific research which indicates that sugar makes you dumb. This on top of all the established piles of evidence that it contributes heavily to the development of obesity, diabetes, inflammatory conditions, and other chronic health disorders.

So my question is: what should we do about this? Pass laws banning sugar from school lunches? Impose government taxes on sugar? Increase health insurance premiums for sugar users? Write fad diet books forbidding the consumption of fruit and hit up the public speaking circuits? File class-action lawsuits against the manufacturers of sugary snacks? Imprison "sugar dealers" for corrupting our youth? Take children away from parents who condone the consumption of sugar in the household? Bomb nations which support the sugar trade into oblivion? Impose trade sanctions?

I ask because these seem to be the types of solutions which people widely endorse for other things which are shown to be detrimental to public health and society at large.

What do you think?
I think people like to be dumb.

If you notice, those that really care about there health tend to educate themself and soon move away from sugar.

Most do not care about their health. At least not until they lose it. Even then most will not make the decision to educate themselves.
Basically if everyone happened to be informed, and cared, they would stay away from sugar, and there would be no demand.
just introduce alkaline diets to people and the way it cures cancer. you can't force people to eat healthy.
You can't force people to care.
(05-21-2012, 10:30 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]you can't force people to eat healthy.
Can you force a person to eat poison? Or is it easier to just add it to the ingredient list and it will be eaten anyways? Both options have always been available.

I will have to look, seems to me cane sugar was introduced somewhere before an invasion. It was used as a way to gain the upper hand.
We need to evolve as a species, and the central aspect will be humans thinking for themselves. Barring that, since humans can be so easily lead, the leadership has to change.

There is power in place on the planet, which owns the media and therefore the minds of the masses.

Then there are some people out on the cutting edge of evolution trying to guide the world toward a positive future. If this group can achieve more impact than the current power structure either energetically or with information, the followers, who comprise the majority population, will cease to follow the controlled media, and follow the voice of common sense, reason, and bright vision.
Evolve in yourself and you'll light up your world and influence it towards greater light. The reality that's manifested outside is only a reflection of what's inside, and to try to work outside in doesn't work nearly as well as working from the inside out. Love and Light are my solutions.
The only thing needed is to educate Dietitians, MDs and the general population. But since there is no consensus regarding sugar (like so many other things), it's left to parents to educate their children about sugar.
(05-22-2012, 01:48 AM)JoshC Wrote: [ -> ]Evolve in yourself and you'll light up your world and influence it towards greater light. The reality that's manifested outside is only a reflection of what's inside, and to try to work outside in doesn't work nearly as well as working from the inside out. Love and Light are my solutions.

Excellent advice ! Smile
I am frankly amazed how everything that makes "us" "dumb" is coming from the "outside". *wink*
Eating sugar is like hitting a deer on the freeway.. if you drive fast enough it wont affect you.
The strength of your celiac plexus determine how fast you accelerate and solar plexus your physical top speed.

It will only make you permanently dumb, if you never allow yourself to reach beyond a significant speed.
"An Answer to Your Question: How I Really Went Off Sugar"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-foste...03742.html
Quote:...Staying aware of what I was doing was the key. In fact, failure to be conscious would have meant a failure of my own intelligence. It seemed to work. In the early weeks, I was beginning to re-program my brain. All the deeply-cut neural pathways formed by a lifetime of habitual sugar-scarfing were being sculpted and superseded by new neural pathways -- forged by conscious intentions to do otherwise....
I was watching a really interesting documentary called Ethos last night. Ethos is a word taken from the Greek which means character, and it is from which we get our word ethics.

Anyhow, they talked quite a bit about a man named Eddie Bernays. He was a nephew of Sigmund Freud, who believed that manipulation was necessary in society, which he regarded as irrational and dangerous as a result of the 'herd instinct'. Eddie was the father of "public relations" and advised quite a number of folks in both government and big business, as to how to best engage the public in order to get them to take certain actions.

Now here is what I found fascinating! Turns out that before his time, many people in government and big business assumed that the best way to reach a person was through an appeal to logic and reason. For the government, this meant putting out public service messages which attempted to people's sense of civic duty, and social responsibility. For big businesses, this meant trying to sell a product to the public based on its superior functionality, or improved value, over a competitor's product.

What Eddie Bernays said is- forget all of that. Appeal to rationality only works for rational people, whereas the "masses" haven't developed any rational functions. Thus, one can bombard the public with information and education on a topic, but it will really do nothing to change people's behavior, because when it comes down to it, it just does not compute for them. In order to reach the masses, one must make an appeal to their passions, and play upon their repressed desires and emotions.

Now I must say- ironically- I can see the logic in this. And based on results, this strategy most certainly works. Problem is, this has created the world we live in today with passions run amok, and all manner of groups operating behind the scenes to control and manipulate people, with the people, by and large, believing that they are "free".

Often times in our discussions here, we focus on the "STS controllers" or the "Illuminati" or "Big Business" or "The Elite" and other such terms which refer to these groups of people acting behind the scenes to manipulate the public. But isn't it interesting? Originally, these people actually wanted to use logic and reason, information and education, in order to reach the masses! Problem was, it simply did not work.

These days, there is a huge countermovement to "expose" these various groups. But yet again- logic and reason fall flat upon their faces. An endless march of documentaries and scientific studies are churned out attempting to educate people on all these things, but to little avail. People just don't care about doing what is reasonable. In fact, as Pickle pointed out, it would seem that people want to be dumb. Which means, there must be some benefit to being dumb which outweighs the rewards of personal growth, and taking responsibility for oneself.

And even if we were successful in ousting these groups, whether through political elections, mass arrests, or even ET intervention... then what? Who is going to take their place? Just another group of people that will find themselves powerless to effect change because the masses aren't willing to do their part to make it happen.

Now it would seem to me that the ideal way to address this situation is to develop people, rather than to control and manipulate them. But how to do this when people, by and large, don't want to be developed? How can people be made to see that the ability to appreciate reason is a good thing, without resorting to the same manipulative tactics which are at the root of so many of the ills that are concerning to us?

Thoughts?

Last night I read an article about Phillipine sugar, Cola, and that guy.

Quote:Bernays was the man with the answer. He knew that through use of Freud’s theories you could manipulate thought, that it was possible to switch needs with desires in the minds of the people.

Out of this would come the political idea of how to control the masses: satisfying inner selfish desires made people happy and thus docile.

Shin'Ar

(05-21-2012, 10:03 PM)Tenet Nosce Wrote: [ -> ]I have been reading the recent flurry of articles about the emerging scientific research which indicates that sugar makes you dumb. This on top of all the established piles of evidence that it contributes heavily to the development of obesity, diabetes, inflammatory conditions, and other chronic health disorders.

So my question is: what should we do about this? Pass laws banning sugar from school lunches? Impose government taxes on sugar? Increase health insurance premiums for sugar users? Write fad diet books forbidding the consumption of fruit and hit up the public speaking circuits? File class-action lawsuits against the manufacturers of sugary snacks? Imprison "sugar dealers" for corrupting our youth? Take children away from parents who condone the consumption of sugar in the household? Bomb nations which support the sugar trade into oblivion? Impose trade sanctions?

I ask because these seem to be the types of solutions which people widely endorse for other things which are shown to be detrimental to public health and society at large.

What do you think?

You just made my wife's day Tenet. oh and thanks 'a freakin lot'.
(05-22-2012, 11:07 AM)ShinAr Wrote: [ -> ]You just made my wife's day Tenet. oh and thanks 'a freakin lot'.

Happy to be of service! BigSmile

TN - some interesting points.

With regards to people wanting to be dumb, I think there is a simple answer: third density encompasses those 'new' to the density, and those about to leave via the harvest. The full spectrum. It is the density of choice, a fast track, masterclass in soul experience.

And so, a great mass of incarnations are likely to be 'young' in terms of multiple incarnations. The result being they are gradually adapting to life as a human being, which in turn explains why they seemingly ignore the truths that others (those with much incarnational experience, or Wandering souls) are intuitively aware of.

I guess that many souls here have incarnated here to specifically be controlled by others, as it is an incredibly valuable lesson that will catapult evolution and understanding. We tend to forgot that this current incarnation is a blip, a tiny fraction of the full experience, and it's not all meant to make sense in one single incarnation. That's something we each work towards, in our own time.

P.S. Do you have a link to the studies regarding sugar consumption and I.Q?
(05-22-2012, 04:48 PM)Namaste Wrote: [ -> ]With regards to people wanting to be dumb, I think there is a simple answer: third density encompasses those 'new' to the density, and those about to leave via the harvest. The full spectrum. It is the density of choice, a fast track, masterclass in soul experience.

Yes, I think you are right about that, and your point well-illustrates the conundrum of governance in a "free society." Given that there is such a wide swath of wisdom and experience from which people may draw from- it is truly in the best interests of all to place such high emphasis on "equality" and moving toward a political system where every little thing gets tried in the court of public opinion, where "everybody gets to vote" is applied down to the minutest detail, and where decisions are made solely upon whatever view happens to be the most popular? Is it wise or desirable to build a society based on the notion of the "Appeal to Majority", which is a known logical fallacy?

Now I will imagine some folks, having read the above paragraph, will balk and have a knee-jerk negative reaction to the mere suggestion that "equality" shouldn't be the end-all-be-all measurement of a given society's progress. But before launching into the text walls, I would simply ask one to consider: Why the knee-jerk reaction? Could it possibly be a form of psychological programming? If so- where did it come from? As a side question- why is it the case that the mainstream media's programming format of choice appears to be competitions where everybody gets to vote on who is the winners and losers? Or another- why is it that American children are being taught in school that we live in a "democracy" when we, in fact, live in a republic?

That being said, is there something inherently wrong with trusting the governance of a people to those individuals who have demonstrated themselves to be the most wise and/or compassionate? Is it really in the best interests of the masses for them to be self-governed? Wouldn't it be fair to say that the ability to govern is predicated, at least to some degree, upon the ability to respond to rationality, and perhaps even the ability to see beyond superficial appearances?

Just some non-sugary food for thought! BigSmile

Quote:P.S. Do you have a link to the studies regarding sugar consumption and I.Q?

Yes! Here is a link to the full study. Abstract below:

Quote:We pursued studies to determine the effects of the metabolic syndrome (MetS) on brain, and the possibility of modulating these effects by dietary interventions. In addition, we have assessed potential mechanisms by which brain metabolic disorders can impact synaptic plasticity and cognition. We report that high-dietary fructose consumption leads to an increase in insulin resistance index, and insulin and triglyceride levels, which characterize MetS. Rats fed on an n-3 deficient diet showed memory deficits in a Barnes maze, which were further exacerbated by fructose intake. In turn, an n-3 deficient diet and fructose interventions disrupted insulin receptor signalling in hippocampus as evidenced by a decrease in phosphorylation of the insulin receptor and its downstream effector Akt. We found that high fructose consumption with an n-3 deficient diet disrupts membrane homeostasis as evidenced by an increase in the ratio of n-6/n-3 fatty acids and levels of 4-hydroxynonenal, a marker of lipid peroxidation. Disturbances in brain energy metabolism due to n-3 deficiency and fructose treatments were evidenced by a significant decrease in AMPK phosphorylation and its upstream modulator LKB1 as well as a decrease in Sir2 levels. The decrease in phosphorylation of CREB, synapsin I and synaptophysin levels by n-3 deficiency and fructose shows the impact of metabolic dysfunction on synaptic plasticity. All parameters of metabolic dysfunction related to the fructose treatment were ameliorated by the presence of dietary n-3 fatty acid. Results showed that dietary n-3 fatty acid deficiency elevates the vulnerability to metabolic dysfunction and impaired cognitive functions by modulating insulin receptor signalling and synaptic plasticity.

Tenet Nosce Wrote:Now it would seem to me that the ideal way to address this situation is to develop people, rather than to control and manipulate them. But how to do this when people, by and large, don't want to be developed? How can people be made to see that the ability to appreciate reason is a good thing, without resorting to the same manipulative tactics which are at the root of so many of the ills that are concerning to us?

Thoughts?

How about empowering people to develop themselves?

Rationality and reason are often used to twist the truth and give a notion of "authority". Logic can be used to reach erroneous conclusions. Some people don't always trust others logic and rational explanations because their gut and intuition is telling them that there is something not quite right, but they can't put their finger on it.

To others being intuitive may appear not smart, but actually it's just another process that instead of being linear, is more holistic, and therefore more encompassing of all possibilities.

I think we empower people by teaching them to trust their intuition and gut feelings. Those in "authority" ie, teachers, parents, doctors, can empower others by teaching them to be more intuitive, and use the rational, reasoning aspect of their mind to understand their intuition. Intuition often gives you instantly what takes a whole lot of explanation in rational terms.

If you rely more on reasoning and rational thinking it's really easy to ignore and have blindspots to inconsistent thought processes. However your intuition will tell you when something is inconsistent, or not quite right, or sounds good but missing a key variable that changes the whole picture.

Quickly looking at the study...were they looking at fruit sugar? So basically the sugar that is in fruit, not refined cane sugar? Or is cane sugar fructose?
(05-22-2012, 05:51 PM)Shemaya Wrote: [ -> ]...
Quickly looking at the study...were they looking at fruit sugar? So basically the sugar that is in fruit, not refined cane sugar? Or is cane sugar fructose?

The amount of sucrose (table sugar), glucose and fructose vary a lot from fruit to fruit. Cane sugar (sucrose) is half glucose and half fructose.

The problem is that fructose can only be metabolized by the liver, just like alcohol. After about 30g of fructose per day, the liver is having issues in dealing with the excess. Leading to all sorts of issues that we are only just beginning to understand.
(05-21-2012, 10:47 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]You can't force people to care.
(05-21-2012, 10:30 PM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]you can't force people to eat healthy.
Can you force a person to eat poison? Or is it easier to just add it to the ingredient list and it will be eaten anyways? Both options have always been available.

I will have to look, seems to me cane sugar was introduced somewhere before an invasion. It was used as a way to gain the upper hand.

but they won't learn to think for themselves if we just add alkaline stuff into their food.
people think they're happy when docile but really how can they know? how does a dummy know? to me they're more like numb and don't know what joy is.
(05-23-2012, 07:14 AM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2012, 10:47 PM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]You can't force people to care.

but they won't learn to think for themselves if we just add alkaline stuff into their food.
people think they're happy when docile but really how can they know? how does a dummy know? to me they're more like numb and don't know what joy is.

Or maybe you just do not know their joy and they do not know yours. Hm?
(05-23-2012, 07:14 AM)Oceania Wrote: [ -> ]to me they're more like numb and don't know what joy is.
I tried "weed" when I was 18. I remember the first realization that hit me was "why" everyone liked it so much. It makes you so dumb and numb that worries and stress no longer matter. This may be why it is the most popular drug.

I also do not agree with consensus that "short circuiting synapses" is any type of spiritual understanding or gain.

(05-23-2012, 07:47 AM)Oldern Wrote: [ -> ]Or maybe you just do not know their joy and they do not know yours. Hm?
Oh you mean they get more out of life.BigSmile

[Image: fat.jpg]
I know that you are only joking, Pickle, but yes, exactly! Smile

[Image: t7KC1.jpg]
Didn't that Buddha originate in the "west"?
Look... even Dr. Sanjay is concerned! BigSmile

(05-22-2012, 10:18 AM)Tenet Nosce Wrote: [ -> ]I was watching a really interesting documentary called Ethos last night. Ethos is a word taken from the Greek which means character, and it is from which we get our word ethics.

Anyhow, they talked quite a bit about a man named Eddie Bernays. He was a nephew of Sigmund Freud, who believed that manipulation was necessary in society, which he regarded as irrational and dangerous as a result of the 'herd instinct'. Eddie was the father of "public relations" and advised quite a number of folks in both government and big business, as to how to best engage the public in order to get them to take certain actions.

Now here is what I found fascinating! Turns out that before his time, many people in government and big business assumed that the best way to reach a person was through an appeal to logic and reason. For the government, this meant putting out public service messages which attempted to people's sense of civic duty, and social responsibility. For big businesses, this meant trying to sell a product to the public based on its superior functionality, or improved value, over a competitor's product.

What Eddie Bernays said is- forget all of that. Appeal to rationality only works for rational people, whereas the "masses" haven't developed any rational functions. Thus, one can bombard the public with information and education on a topic, but it will really do nothing to change people's behavior, because when it comes down to it, it just does not compute for them. In order to reach the masses, one must make an appeal to their passions, and play upon their repressed desires and emotions.

Now I must say- ironically- I can see the logic in this. And based on results, this strategy most certainly works. Problem is, this has created the world we live in today with passions run amok, and all manner of groups operating behind the scenes to control and manipulate people, with the people, by and large, believing that they are "free".

Often times in our discussions here, we focus on the "STS controllers" or the "Illuminati" or "Big Business" or "The Elite" and other such terms which refer to these groups of people acting behind the scenes to manipulate the public. But isn't it interesting? Originally, these people actually wanted to use logic and reason, information and education, in order to reach the masses! Problem was, it simply did not work.

These days, there is a huge countermovement to "expose" these various groups. But yet again- logic and reason fall flat upon their faces. An endless march of documentaries and scientific studies are churned out attempting to educate people on all these things, but to little avail. People just don't care about doing what is reasonable. In fact, as Pickle pointed out, it would seem that people want to be dumb. Which means, there must be some benefit to being dumb which outweighs the rewards of personal growth, and taking responsibility for oneself.

And even if we were successful in ousting these groups, whether through political elections, mass arrests, or even ET intervention... then what? Who is going to take their place? Just another group of people that will find themselves powerless to effect change because the masses aren't willing to do their part to make it happen.

Now it would seem to me that the ideal way to address this situation is to develop people, rather than to control and manipulate them. But how to do this when people, by and large, don't want to be developed? How can people be made to see that the ability to appreciate reason is a good thing, without resorting to the same manipulative tactics which are at the root of so many of the ills that are concerning to us?

Thoughts?

Absolutely fascinating post. Thanks!

And as a high school teacher--well, yeah, developing people who don't want to be developed is my job...LOL. But reaching out in kindness, modeling solid critical thinking and dialectic (instead of debate), helping them develop an awareness of their planet and themselves--and then "seeing/projecting" the idea that they are extraordinarily beautiful and intelligent souls--regardless of whatever learning behavior (i.e., making seemingly poor choices--all choices lead to experience, so they can't be "bad") they are engaged in, is all I think we can do. I know I can't really control them or get them to do anything they don't want to do--wouldn't want to either. I'd never steal their agency. I would imagine that an employer, or co-worker, or any other person in any other job could do essentially the same thing: Model thinking behavior and live in joy.

The world is, well, exactly as it should be--the result of many people exercising their agency leads to quite a mess. But it is a necessary mess, a mess through which souls are perfected and cycle off.

One other thing....

So interesting that you posted on sugar today...I was considering eliminating it from my diet!

And since this sort of picks up the drug thread...

Yes, I think there's a knee jerk response to try to ban whatever is "bad", but ultimately it won't work because people will do whatever they want here until they experience the badness to such as extent that something in their psyche clicks and they develop a revulsion to it, then they have to work back to finding balance (i.e., not reacting emotionally). By control I mean that one can take it or leave it without judgment; I don't mean rigid personality-splitting repression.

Every excess seems to speak to emotional imbalance--drugs, alcohol, over-eating, over-sexing, etc. IMO, we're here now to develop our ability to use the conscious mind to bring the emotional body into balance and clarity. Unfortunately, we try a lot of different methods to attempt to mitigate the effect of the emotional disturbance--food can numb it as much as drugs and alcohol, but over-eating is the thing that is still sort of socially acceptable (Look at those horrific Man vs. Food shows--ewww!). I don't think it will stay that way. You can see the entire world caught up in examining what we consume, looking for better food products, cleaner water, etc., rediscovering healing through food. My guess is that there will be some attempts at regulation...but it will likely be done in ridiculous ways (you know, like banning sugar and making people use artificial sweeteners!)

ReptilianOrionLizardKing

keeping people dumb is keeping them dead, if that is their joy they should be freely choosing it. instead they are on the conveyor belt to oblivion. feeding the mouth that is never full. the reptilian mouth! it is a crocodile's jaw! beware beware!

Shin'Ar

(05-24-2012, 08:34 AM)ReptilianOrionLizardKing Wrote: [ -> ]keeping people dumb is keeping them dead, if that is their joy they should be freely choosing it. instead they are on the conveyor belt to oblivion. feeding the mouth that is never full. the reptilian mouth! it is a crocodile's jaw! beware beware!

Some one want to check this guys IP number???lol

ReptilianOrionLizardKing

that's the laughing buddha, is it not?
King likes acting Shin'Ar. Smile

Shin'Ar

(05-24-2012, 11:04 AM)Valtor Wrote: [ -> ]King likes acting Shin'Ar. Smile

I wish him a very hot rock to cook on.
Pages: 1 2 3