Bring4th

Full Version: Ethical Vegetarianism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Starts out slow and questionable, but gets pretty interesting as it goes on.

I like the video... Really the guy is very intelligent and learned...

But...

Speaking from the perspective of a rational compassionate forum with people each working on being in service to each other.

Considering the experience that all the discussions which feature meat eating versus vegetarianism end up in a big brawl. And good people who mean well do actually get hurt by those discussions.

I could just not respond to these topics and that's what I usually do. However invariably I bump into the negativity generated by such a topic in another place. It seems these topics bring out the worst in us. Rational compassionate conversation somehow fails when faced with the question of steak versus tofu...

Considering all that I'd like to propose a self imposed ban on these subjects. Self imposed, not moderator imposed. If you're with me then consider the subject a fishhook dangled in front of your mouth... And choose not to bite it. Ignore it and spend time where time is enjoyably spent by you instead.

Let's accept we have differing opinions on the subject and choose enjoying each other's presence over seeking out the unavoidable conflict within these topics.
There are a million vegetarian videos on the web. I posted this because I have seen his Knowing God Through Meditation and enjoyed it.

If you feel stress or division because it deals with "vegetarianism" that would be your choice in perspective.
(06-01-2012, 06:36 AM)Ali Quadir Wrote: [ -> ]Let's accept we have differing opinions on the subject and choose enjoying each other's presence over seeking out the unavoidable conflict within these topics.

Discussions will stay heated until all sides accept that every opinion is a valid opinion to have - for those that have it. Until we have someone in the "outside" that we believe is wrong, we will have a reflection of that as in we will meet people who think we are wrong just as much. Therefore, the only way to relax these issues is to be all right with how others eat in life. Simple as that. For me, at least.
My choice in this perspective is to throw up an idea to avoid stress and division, to allow us to consciously choose cohesion and compassion.

Knowing God through meditation... Indeed, that is a video worthy of posting. So there... Now it's posted... Good tip, keep em coming. Heart This man, Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya, is clearly a man of wisdom...

Also check out Finding the highest reality
I understand and resonate with what you are saying, Ali Quadir.
But just a question. Do you think that these issues will need to surface? This is 2012 after all. No point in hiding in something that is part of us and might be judgmental in nature. These need to surface, be dealt with ,and we move forward as more positive, more higher frequency beings. That is why we need to be compassionate even when we argue. It is not easy, but the arguments will keep resurfacing until "one side" feels that they have a point to prove. And until the "other side" feels the need to defend their points.
Two sides - for one coin, hehe.
(06-01-2012, 08:22 AM)Oldern Wrote: [ -> ]Discussions will stay heated until all sides accept that every opinion is a valid opinion to have - for those that have it. Until we have someone in the "outside" that we believe is wrong, we will have a reflection of that as in we will meet people who think we are wrong just as much. Therefore, the only way to relax these issues is to be all right with how others eat in life. Simple as that. For me, at least.

I do agree... And please don't interpret this as me telling people what to do... There is however a causality in social dynamic behavior. Meaning that entering the maze at some points mean you often come out at a certain other point. Finding a solution to a problem by doing the same thing over and over again may not be profitable.

At any rate my only suggestion is for everyone to judge for themselves if the outcome is desired or if another path is preferable.
(06-01-2012, 08:31 AM)Oldern Wrote: [ -> ]But just a question. Do you think that these issues will need to surface? This is 2012 after all. No point in hiding in something that is part of us and might be judgmental in nature. These need to surface, be dealt with ,and we move forward as more positive, more higher frequency beings. That is why we need to be compassionate even when we argue. It is not easy, but the arguments will keep resurfacing until "one side" feels that they have a point to prove. And until the "other side" feels the need to defend their points.
Two sides - for one coin, hehe.

I simply believe this is a matter of choice. Not a matter of digging in deep into opposition.. Growing up, becoming a mature and spiritual individual is not so much about going deep in what you don't like... It's more about saying "This is a fruitless undertaking" I will follow another path.

It's about gaining the power to choose who you are, irrespective of the intent of others.

Spiritual evolution is seeing a fishhook for a fishhook. "Not biting" by choice as opposed to "biting" as an uncontrollable reflex.
(06-01-2012, 08:32 AM)Ali Quadir Wrote: [ -> ]I do agree... And please don't interpret this as me telling people what to do... There is however a causality in social dynamic behavior. Meaning that entering the maze at some points mean you often come out at a certain other point. Finding a solution to a problem by doing the same thing over and over again may not be profitable.

At any rate my only suggestion is for everyone to judge for themselves if the outcome is desired or if another path is preferable.

Do not worry about that. At this point, I think even comments telling others directly what they could do/should do/cant do/should not do are simply providing an alternate point of view. But I am a weirdo like this, so hey BigSmile

"Spiritual evolution is seeing a fishhook for a fishhook. "Not biting" by choice as opposed to "biting" as an uncontrollable reflex. "

I love this analogy. You are right, of course. (And the fishook, those that throw it into the sea, those that bite, are you as well, remember! : ) That is the fun part of all there is. )
(06-01-2012, 08:22 AM)Oldern Wrote: [ -> ]Discussions will stay heated until all sides accept that every opinion is a valid opinion to have - for those that have it.

This is true. I always assume I am interacting with rational adults but that is obviously not always the case on the web. I consider the exchange of information to be availability of change and growth. If there is no growth or change from an information exchange then the exchange is only social. I am not exactly into socializing.Tongue

After watching this video last night it gave me the option to think about taking up the ingestion of milk. That thought didn't last long after consideration of availability of actual milk. I am sure you read about the "milk raids"? Yeah, healthy milk seems to be illegal to sell. If "healthy" options are no longer options, do we want to ask "why"? Or do we want to believe that the compassionate thing to do is allow this to happen? I mean, in reality it is us that allows this to happen.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not enjoy being under that kind of control, it sort of feels like we are just cattle.